RemedySpot.com

Re: nuts & coconut on gap

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Amos sells soaked nuts in a few different varieties. I've purchased the walnuts.

Amos is an Amish farmer that sells direct to consumer from several Amish farms

in PA. He does deliveries and also ships. If you don't know how to contact him, let

me know and I'll dig up some information.

Katy

On 1/8/08, samadamfamily <samadamfamily@...> wrote:

i have been having a problem with nuts as well. i've found that if i eat nuts that are not soaked and dried then i get bad gas and bloating. i didn't realize soaking the nuts was such a big deal until now. i wonder if you can purchase already soaked nuts? or better yet if you can purchase fresh nuts in bulk then do it yourself? we've been getting nuts from our local health food store but their $7 a pound and not organic. also my breastfeeding son has a problem when i eat nuts that are not soaked, he gets gassy and spits up i wonder why that is?sam> Sue,> > Are you using crispy nuts? If so, how long are you soaking them? You are> right, sometimes nuts can be hard on the gut, and I will only recommend the

> GAPS diet to my clients with the understanding that all nuts should be> soaked or sprouted and then dried before making flour in the food processor,> à la NT, in order to remove the enzyme inhibitors. It might be helpful for

> our son to sprout the nuts (which happens after prolonged soaking), then dry> them and use them for recipes. Coconut, at least coconut oil, has a> reputation for being more benign, but each person is so different.

> > Sometimes people go through something called a ³healing crisis.² I¹m not> sure if you¹re familiar with the term, but for those who are not, it means> that when we begin the process of natural healing, the potential is there to

> feel worse before feeling better. (In homeopathy, it¹s called an> aggravation.) Bruce Fife has written an entire book on the healing crisis,> although I have not read it, so I can¹t endorse it. I find that broth is

> incredibly nourishing during a healing crisis.> > Likewise, I¹ve found that broth can also be filling for hungry bellies!> There seems to be a period of adjustment that one goes through when

> eliminating grains. When we eat grains, we tend to eat larger quantities of> food, so when we switch to a diet higher in fat, for example, theoretically> we don¹t need to consume as much food for the energy and nourishment

> requirements, yet our stomachs are used to a certain amount of food. That¹s> where the broth comes in ‹ it¹s not only nourishing and healing, but it> fills up the stomach in place of the grains.

> > (We¹re actually holding off on starting the diet until we get our pig. We¹re> going to need large quantities of fat and meat on the diet, so we¹ve> purchased 1/2 pig from TLC Ranch down in ville, and it is currently at

> Los Gatos Meats being naturally processed. Even though they do MSG- and> nitrate-free, we¹re getting mostly plain ground pork so that I can make my> own bulk sausage. I¹ll let you know how it goes.)

> > Good luck, and I hope your son is feeling better.> > Peace,> > > On 1/8/08 8:12 AM, " sue vican " <svican@...> wrote:> > > HI All,

> > > > I just started my 18 year old son on the GAPS diet 3 days ago. He has major> > gut issues as > > well as mood issues, and has been nonfunctional (as in sleeping or lying on

> > the couch > > watching TV for 1 1/2 years), and has received multiple diagnoses, tried> > multiple > > protocols and medications all to no avail. I am wondering about using so many

> > nuts and > > coconut, it seems to me that these aren't that easy to digest, but with no> > grains or dairy, I> > don't know how else I'd keep him filled up. This morning he woke with

> > horrible burning > > around his belly button. I'm wondering if this might be from all the> > nuts/coconut??> > > > Are others finding nuts/coconut problematic, or not?

> > > > thanks, sue v.> > > > > >>

> > >

> > > > HI All,

> > > >

> > > > I just started my 18 year old son on the GAPS diet 3 days ago. He has

> > major

> > > > gut issues as

> > > > well as mood issues, and has been nonfunctional (as in sleeping or

> > lying on

> > > > the couch

> > > > watching TV for 1 1/2 years), and has received multiple diagnoses,

> > tried

> > > > multiple

> > > > protocols and medications all to no avail. I am wondering about using

> > so many

> > > > nuts and

> > > > coconut, it seems to me that these aren't that easy to digest, but

> > with no

> > > > grains or dairy, I

> > > > don't know how else I'd keep him filled up. This morning he woke with

> > > > horrible burning

> > > > around his belly button. I'm wondering if this might be from all the

> > > > nuts/coconut??

> > > >

> > > > Are others finding nuts/coconut problematic, or not?

> > > >

> > > > thanks, sue v.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>