Guest guest

Hi :

I like to add cornstarch to my powdered milk baths to not only help reduce

clumping in the product, but it adds a silky, soothing quality to the bath

water. I also use powdered non-dairy coffee creamer in my baths for the

rich, moisturizing oils, since I prefer to use non-fat milk for a longer

shelf life.

Powdered (preferably colloidal) oatmeal makes a soothing mucilage when mixed

with water...especially nice for irritated or sunburned skin.

Salts combine with the minerals in hard water and softens it

Baking soda also softens the water and helps deodorize

Hope this helps! :-)

Cat

> I know milk is soothing and smoothing, oatmeal is healing, but I've got

some questions about some other ingredients as to what their purpose is. In

a milk bath, the recipe called for cornstarch. And in a bath salt, it called

for baking soda. I'm following the recipes as is right now, but I'm curious

as to the purpose of some of these additives.

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

in a raw foods diet there would be no additives. Organic raw foods.

"Knowing others is knowledge.

Understanding oneself is wisdom.

Overcoming others requires force.

Mastering oneself requires strength

Onewho knows when he has enough

Is rich indeed

One who keeps to the path is strong

One who maintains his place is enduring.

To live in the moment is to live without death."

Dona L Wheeler/Consultant

540-400-3456

From: Jackie <mrsphilly6@...>Subject: question about additivesno-forced-vaccination Date: Sunday, April 20, 2008, 10:20 PM

Hi,Has anyone heard of or know about the Feingold diet? The goal is to avoid additives. The result will be improved sleep, behavior distrubances just to name a few. How can someone avoid additives, it seems to be in everything!Thanks,Jackie

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

A raw diet is prob the healthiest diet rt now due to the state of

our foods. All food should be organic, soaked in clean filter water ,

org nuts, org seeds, org fruits and veggies. Most raw food will not

keep for more than 5-7 days anyway. I can email you some websites if

interested also youtube has vidoes to watch and learn. I made brazil

nut milk yesterday enough for 2 days(after the soaking period , it

takes 5 mins), had a big salad with raw dressing, hummus( org

chickpeas soaked for 15 hrs, sprouted for 2 days sl steamed) and for

dessert had apple rasberries crumb cake, no grains, no flour, no eggs,

no oil, just nuts, fruit and 4 dates. Its not as hard as one thinks,

the cooking itself is very fast, its the soaking, rinsing and

dehydrating that can take time. Again more greens,not too much fats,

less sugars is ideal but you can make healthy desserts that are good

for you too, when in the mood. If you have nut allergies this would

be somewhat limited also. GOod luck.

Vivian

Guest guest

The highlight of my feb trip to san fran was a place called Cafe

Graditude, all raw foods. UMMMMMM I bought the cook book, but don't

have all the equipment or sources yet.

Peace_Love_Oneness

In no-forced-vaccination , " email4ebay2005 "

<email4ebay2005@...> wrote:

>

> A raw diet is prob the healthiest diet rt now due to the state of

> our foods. All food should be organic, soaked in clean filter

water ,

> org nuts, org seeds, org fruits and veggies. Most raw food will not

> keep for more than 5-7 days anyway. I can email you some websites

if

> interested also youtube has vidoes to watch and learn. I made

brazil

> nut milk yesterday enough for 2 days(after the soaking period , it

> takes 5 mins), had a big salad with raw dressing, hummus( org

> chickpeas soaked for 15 hrs, sprouted for 2 days sl steamed) and for

> dessert had apple rasberries crumb cake, no grains, no flour, no

eggs,

> no oil, just nuts, fruit and 4 dates. Its not as hard as one thinks,

> the cooking itself is very fast, its the soaking, rinsing and

> dehydrating that can take time. Again more greens,not too much fats,

> less sugars is ideal but you can make healthy desserts that are good

> for you too, when in the mood. If you have nut allergies this would

> be somewhat limited also. GOod luck.

> Vivian

>

Guest guest

Hello Jackie and group, The Feingold diet has been known for quite a long time; when I ran La Leche League meetings in the 1990s I always brought their informational materials for moms whose babies were beginning to eat solid foods. You can Google them; once a person becomes a member, Feingold will send you important information regarding what things in the common American diet should be avoided, what artificial additives and flavorings do to people, especially young children, and how avoiding these things can help a child with allergies, ADHD, learning disabilities, even Asperger's syndrome and autism. For me, the Feingold diet is a step in the right direction, but they suggest people use processed "foods" I would never eat or offer to my children. We eat wholefoods, mostly a raw diet, and have been vegan for decades; my youngest has been vegan for most of her life. (And we all are

healthy! Great energy, happy, productive. It's amazing what happens when a human consumes only true foods!) BTW, there are many recipe books out there using only fresh veggies and fruits that make eating very exciting, delicious, and simple. Once you start eating real food, you'll never be tempted to go back to eating the typical American diet composed of mainly fillers, not food. Eat only things you can pronounce, Sholtz, Ph.D, RSHom(NA), CCH *Registrar, North American Society of Homeopaths

Guest guest

Hello Jackie and group, The Feingold diet has been known for quite a long time; when I ran La Leche League meetings in the 1990s I always brought their informational materials for moms whose babies were beginning to eat solid foods. You can Google them; once a person becomes a member, Feingold will send you important information regarding what things in the common American diet should be avoided, what artificial additives and flavorings do to people, especially young children, and how avoiding these things can help a child with allergies, ADHD, learning disabilities, even Asperger's syndrome and autism. For me, the Feingold diet is a step in the right direction, but they suggest people use processed "foods" I would never eat or offer to my children. We eat wholefoods, mostly a raw diet, and have been vegan for decades; my youngest has been vegan for most of her life. (And we all are

healthy! Great energy, happy, productive. It's amazing what happens when a human consumes only true foods!) BTW, there are many recipe books out there using only fresh veggies and fruits that make eating very exciting, delicious, and simple. Once you start eating real food, you'll never be tempted to go back to eating the typical American diet composed of mainly fillers, not food. Eat only things you can pronounce, Sholtz, Ph.D, RSHom(NA), CCH *Registrar, North American Society of Homeopaths

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Jackie,

My son, who is on the autism spectrum, needs to be Feingold Stage I. The Feingold diet is more than just avoiding additives, it is also about salicylates found naturally in certain foods. My son (as well as many other people) can't handle that particular chemical which is found in tomatoes, peppers, apples, berries, cucumbers, peaches, almonds and a few other healthy foods. If he gets these foods, he is off the charts - hyper, poor decisions, noisy, etc... Some people do well just taking out the chemicals (Feingold Stage II), and some people need to be very strict (Feingold Stage I).

There are LOTS of foods without additives. Of course, everyone is right - raw whole foods are great!! But, when you have a child in elementary school, prepackaged foods can come in handy for lunch. My son has many allergies, so there are few foods that we can buy prepackaged. But, it does help. I also make some good snacks for him.

My son is also realizing that he is different from the others and is wanting badly to "fit in". So, some of the healthy foods I used to give him are no longer foods that he wants to eat in school. I can understand - most kids eat nothing but CRAP! I can't believe what these kids are eating every day. At least we have found some healthy, kid friendly, prepackaged foods that he can use. I've also learned to make things such as pudding, waffles, cookies, muffins - all with mostly healthy ingredients and low or no sugar. This way, he feels like he fits in with his "junk" food. I do make sure my kids know that this "junk" food that I make is actually a healthy version of what the other kids get. I want them to understand the difference. I use foods such as avocados, millet, quinoa, stevia, raw honey and fruit as sweeteners, raw whole milk, pears, mangos and coconut. I also try to incorporate

as many raw foods as I can - which can be difficult for kids to appreciate! :-)

Anyway, you can find prepackaged items on the Feingold Diet at some conventional grocery stores. But, we shop almost exclusively at a natural food store. Hope that helps!

Jenn

question about additives

Hi,Has anyone heard of or know about the Feingold diet? The goal is to avoid additives. The result will be improved sleep, behavior distrubances just to name a few. How can someone avoid additives, it seems to be in everything!Thanks,Jackie

Guest guest

Hi Jackie,

My son, who is on the autism spectrum, needs to be Feingold Stage I. The Feingold diet is more than just avoiding additives, it is also about salicylates found naturally in certain foods. My son (as well as many other people) can't handle that particular chemical which is found in tomatoes, peppers, apples, berries, cucumbers, peaches, almonds and a few other healthy foods. If he gets these foods, he is off the charts - hyper, poor decisions, noisy, etc... Some people do well just taking out the chemicals (Feingold Stage II), and some people need to be very strict (Feingold Stage I).

There are LOTS of foods without additives. Of course, everyone is right - raw whole foods are great!! But, when you have a child in elementary school, prepackaged foods can come in handy for lunch. My son has many allergies, so there are few foods that we can buy prepackaged. But, it does help. I also make some good snacks for him.

My son is also realizing that he is different from the others and is wanting badly to "fit in". So, some of the healthy foods I used to give him are no longer foods that he wants to eat in school. I can understand - most kids eat nothing but CRAP! I can't believe what these kids are eating every day. At least we have found some healthy, kid friendly, prepackaged foods that he can use. I've also learned to make things such as pudding, waffles, cookies, muffins - all with mostly healthy ingredients and low or no sugar. This way, he feels like he fits in with his "junk" food. I do make sure my kids know that this "junk" food that I make is actually a healthy version of what the other kids get. I want them to understand the difference. I use foods such as avocados, millet, quinoa, stevia, raw honey and fruit as sweeteners, raw whole milk, pears, mangos and coconut. I also try to incorporate

Anyway, you can find prepackaged items on the Feingold Diet at some conventional grocery stores. But, we shop almost exclusively at a natural food store. Hope that helps!

Jenn

question about additives

Guest guest

Hi Jackie,

Jenn

question about additives

Guest guest

Hi Jackie,

Jenn

question about additives

Guest guest

Jenn,

I agree, my teens do not want to take raw cookies to school either.

For them I choose the best foods possible for school lunches or when

friends are over. I also make soaked , sprouted legumes, grains such

as quinoa, brown rice, millet and they do consume local farm eggs and

once in a while some organic chicken, lots of salads and some green

smoothie heavily encouraged(forced). Healthy cooking or uncooking

raw foods can be more work and more expensive than reg foods but its

once thing you can control and you can choose with your dollar bill

what is imp but I hear the pleas for pizza and ice cream etc sometimes

from my teens and its hard.

>

> Hi Jackie,

>

> My son, who is on the autism spectrum, needs to be Feingold Stage I.

The Feingold diet is more than just avoiding additives, it is also

about salicylates found naturally in certain foods. My son (as well

as many other people) can't handle that particular chemical which is

found in tomatoes, peppers, apples, berries, cucumbers, peaches,

almonds and a few other healthy foods. If he gets these foods, he is

off the charts - hyper, poor decisions, noisy, etc... Some people do

well just taking out the chemicals (Feingold Stage II), and some

people need to be very strict (Feingold Stage I).

>

> There are LOTS of foods without additives. Of course, everyone is

right - raw whole foods are great!! But, when you have a child in

elementary school, prepackaged foods can come in handy for lunch. My

son has many allergies, so there are few foods that we can buy

prepackaged. But, it does help. I also make some good snacks for him.

>

> My son is also realizing that he is different from the others and is

wanting badly to " fit in " . So, some of the healthy foods I used to

give him are no longer foods that he wants to eat in school. I can

understand - most kids eat nothing but CRAP! I can't believe what

these kids are eating every day. At least we have found some healthy,

kid friendly, prepackaged foods that he can use. I've also learned to

make things such as pudding, waffles, cookies, muffins - all with

mostly healthy ingredients and low or no sugar. This way, he feels

like he fits in with his " junk " food. I do make sure my kids know

that this " junk " food that I make is actually a healthy version of

what the other kids get. I want them to understand the difference. I

use foods such as avocados, millet, quinoa, stevia, raw honey and

fruit as sweeteners, raw whole milk, pears, mangos and coconut. I

also try to incorporate as many raw foods as I can - which can be

difficult for

> kids to appreciate! :-)

>

> Anyway, you can find prepackaged items on the Feingold Diet at some

conventional grocery stores. But, we shop almost exclusively at a

natural food store. Hope that helps!

>

> Jenn

>

>

>

> question about additives

>

> Hi,

>

> Has anyone heard of or know about the Feingold diet? The goal

> is to avoid additives. The result will be improved sleep, behavior

> distrubances just to name a few. How can someone avoid additives, it

> seems to be in everything!

>

> Thanks,

> Jackie

>

>

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

>

Guest guest

Jenn,

>

> Hi Jackie,

>

>

>

difficult for

>

>

> Jenn

>

>

>

>

> Hi,

>

>

> Thanks,

> Jackie

>

>

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

>

Guest guest

Jenn,

>

> Hi Jackie,

>

>

>

difficult for

>

>

> Jenn

>

>

>

>

> Hi,

>

>

> Thanks,

> Jackie

>

>

>

>

>

>

____

>

Guest guest

Jenn,

>

> Hi Jackie,

>

>

>

difficult for

>

>

> Jenn

>

>

>

>

> Hi,

>

>

> Thanks,

> Jackie

>

>

>

>

>

>

____

>

Guest guest

Yep, I'm constantly showing them how vitally important it is to eat healthy foods. Things are so much more difficult when they see other kids eating yummy nutrient deficient foods. My sister feeds her kids doughnuts and soda for breakfast - if they even eat breakfast. It's hard for my kids (and me!) to see that. So, I am trying to use it as an example of how it makes them less healthy. Her kids are sick quite a lot, and they physically look unhealthy. I guess that's why I have learned to appreciate making homemade foods and experimenting to make them fun.

How do you handle those pleas from your teens for junk foods?

Jenn

[no-forced-vaccinat ion] question about additives> > Hi,> > Has anyone heard of or know about the Feingold diet? The goal > is to avoid additives. The result will be improved sleep, behavior > distrubances just to name

a few. How can someone avoid additives, it > seems to be in everything!> > Thanks,> Jackie> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. / ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ>

Guest guest

Yep, I'm constantly showing them how vitally important it is to eat healthy foods. Things are so much more difficult when they see other kids eating yummy nutrient deficient foods. My sister feeds her kids doughnuts and soda for breakfast - if they even eat breakfast. It's hard for my kids (and me!) to see that. So, I am trying to use it as an example of how it makes them less healthy. Her kids are sick quite a lot, and they physically look unhealthy. I guess that's why I have learned to appreciate making homemade foods and experimenting to make them fun.

How do you handle those pleas from your teens for junk foods?

Jenn

[no-forced-vaccinat ion] question about additives> > Hi,> > Has anyone heard of or know about the Feingold diet? The goal > is to avoid additives. The result will be improved sleep, behavior > distrubances just to name

a few. How can someone avoid additives, it > seems to be in everything!> > Thanks,> Jackie> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. / ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ>

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

My husband has been on GAPS for about 3 months now. His digestion has been very good for the past 2 months.He was able to cheat on his diet this week (we are on vacation). The only thing he reacted badly to was pizza. Of course, we didn't go off of the diet too much -- we ate mostly meats, fish, and fruits/vegetables.

However today he reacted horribly to some whitefish he ate. I looked at the label and it had the following additives: " hardwood smoke " , " potassium sorbate " , and " nisin " . I know that potassium sorbate and nisin are preservatives. I'm not sure what hardwood smoke is.

I'm just curious what you guys think might have caused the reaction.Thanks for any thoughts/ideas you have.Ann Marie