Guest guest

Did anyone else here have an operation for infantile pyloric

stenosis? I'll explain why this might be on topic if anyone

responds in the affirmative.

Guest guest

> Did anyone else here have an operation for infantile pyloric

> stenosis? I'll explain why this might be on topic if anyone

> responds in the affirmative.

I didn't, but I know someone in my family who did.

How is it related?

--Marc

Guest guest

> > Did anyone else here have an operation for infantile pyloric

> > stenosis? I'll explain why this might be on topic if anyone

> > responds in the affirmative.

>

> I didn't, but I know someone in my family who did.

>

> How is it related?

>

> --Marc

Pyloric stenosis has been linked to an alteration in the nNOS

gene (neuronal nitric oxide synthase). Nitric oxide is also

required for release of LHRH / GnRH from the hypothalamus.

LHRH release is defective in some people with secondary

hypogonadism. As I have had both these problems, I thought

that perhaps they were linked and that it was likely that others in

this group with secondary might have had pyloric stenosis.

Judging by the reponses so far my hypothesis is going down in

flames :(

Pyloric stenosis is not all that rare (3 per 1000 births), so I'd want

to hear that more than one other group member had a relative

who had it before I believed in a connection. More evidence: I

have also read (in a journal from the 1950s) that adult men who

had pyloric stenosis as infants tend to have deficient

musculature.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Maybe I am using the wrong term. What I was told was that the stomach was not emptying. That the same thing was happening with the pylorus that happened with the LES. When motility is lost it CAN be system wide. That's what I was told. Is there another term that would better fit this?

J.C.

-----Original Message-----From: cmjfriary@... [mailto:cmjfriary@...]Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2002 11:53 AMachalasia Subject: Pyloric StenosisI hope this helps all of you who are concerned now that you also have pyloric stenosis. I never nursed an older child or an adult with this condition ....... not sure who it is who has this now( sorry forget the names sometimes.) Feel it is very unlikely that too many people do have it as you'll see when you've read info. such as this found via the www.dogpile search engine. Hope it helps.

Pyloric stenosis (sometimes called Infantile Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis) is a relatively common condition, affecting one in three hundred babies. Boys are affected more commonly than girls, and children of individuals who had pyloric stenosis in infancy are at slightly increased risk of having it themselves. The hallmark of pyloric stenosis is forceful vomiting (sometimes described as "projectile") that occurs shortly after feeding, and consists of partially digested formula or milk. Affected babies typically come to the attention of a surgeon at four to six weeks of age, although the vomiting may begin when the child is as young as two weeks. Vomiting results when the ring of muscle at the outlet of the stomach (the pylorus) becomes enlarged (or "hypertrophied"). The abnormally enlarged muscle blocks the passage of food to the small intestine, leaving the contents of the stomach no where to go but up. The diagnosis is made when the surgeon feels the enlarged muscle in the baby's upper abdomen. Often, an ultrasound is done to confirm the doctor's findings. Because vomiting may lead to dehydration and electrolyte disturbances, it is considered a medical (if not a surgical) emergency. The most important first step in treating an infant with pyloric stenosis is to restore good hydration and to correct electrolyte abnormalities. Once accomplished, surgery to correct the problem may safely be performed. What should parents expect after surgery for pyloric stenosis? The operation may be done through a small incision in the umbilicus (belly button), the right upper quadrant of the abdomen, or with a laparoscope. These tiny incisions are injected with local anesthesia, and the babies are usually completely comfortable after surgery. The surgeon will usually start to feed the baby again about 8-12 hours after the procedure. What if my baby vomits again after the surgery? It's almost routine for babies to vomit in the first few days after surgery, probably because the lining of the stomach has become irritated from the vomiting experienced preoperatively. This usually resolves on its own, and shouldn't be a cause for concern. Can pyloric stenosis recur? What should I watch for at home? Pyloric stenosis almost never recurs. Your baby is not at risk for any special problems-this is something that happens to otherwise perfectly healthy babies. The most common complication after surgery is a minor wound infection, which your surgeon will check for at your postoperative visit.

What causes pyloric stenosis? Surprisingly for such a common condition, we don't really know. (Research into this area is ongoing.) We do know that it seems to have nothing to do with what the baby ate, or what the mother or father did before or during the pregnancy. (Translation: it's not your fault, any more than the weather is.) Chris