RemedySpot.com

Re: My move

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am late in replying, but I handled a case for a woman who had a very bad

experience with a moving co., so I thought I would throw out a couple of

things to increase your chances that things will go smoothly.

1) read every word of the K (contract)- be sure to check the portion that

talks about what they do if they damage or lose anything. In the case I

worked on, the K only paid her .60 cents per pound! The damages were paid

out per pound, so watch out for that. I would call my homeowners to see if

they may cover losses done in the moving process- HO's covers odd things

sometimes. Otherwise you may want to purchase extra insurance for this.

2) I would not pay them until they drop off ALL of the items, and when you

sign the receipt make a notation on it that " Not given opportunity to

inspect shipment for damage " , or something short like that- the problem is

that the K's usually say that by signing below you agree that there are no

problems with the shipment- everything is in good condiction, etc, but you

have no idea if things are broken this soon- you haven't had the opportunity

to even open up your boxes.

3) If they are packing you watch out- most co's overcharge for the boxes, do

not fill them up so they can use more, etc. Also, be sure to get an estimate

in advance and watch out for them saying that there was more to do than

anticipated, so you owe more than the estimate. When they do the estimate,

they have seen all that needs to be done, so this is just another way to

scam you out of more money.

4) Couldn't hurt to call the BBB (Better Bus Bureau) and check on the co- in

the case I had, there had been many complaints against the co, especially

about failing to respond to complaints.

I think if you do these things, you'll have cut off the chances for most of

the scams that are known in the moving busincess. Good luck with your move,

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your tips and advice. I have chosen Atlas and I'm hoping they will be okay since they are one of the large moving companies. I have gone over the contract with a fine tooth comb. Unfortunately, I had to choose the $.60/pound insr because it doesn't cost anything, and I simply cannot afford to buy the insr ($175 additional). I know this is stupid on my part, but I don't have that much furniture, and what I do have, it wouldn't be horrible if it was damaged, plus would give me an excuse to buy new furniture (my favorite furniture store in the world is in Denver---Room and Board). I have to buy nightstands, dresser, coffee table, and kitchen table, and so what I'm moving isn't a lot. But my bed is new, as is my entertainment center. I just bought those at a store in Tucson this spring. My sofa is from Room and Board, and is expensive, but is a yr old. I've never done this "big" move thing before. It's really sort of scary to be given a contract to sign, etc. I feel like I do when I've bought new cars--like I'm being screwed over big time! But I will heed your advice, esp the part about signing that there are no damages. I am doing my own packing, so that saves on some of the cost. Thanks again for replying! e ----- Original Message ----- From: indysurvivor@... Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 4:44 PM Subject: Re: My move I am late in replying, but I handled a case for a woman who had a very bad experience with a moving co., so I thought I would throw out a couple of things to increase your chances that things will go smoothly. 1) read every word of the K (contract)- be sure to check the portion that talks about what they do if they damage or lose anything. In the case I worked on, the K only paid her .60 cents per pound! The damages were paid out per pound, so watch out for that. I would call my homeowners to see if they may cover losses done in the moving process- HO's covers odd things sometimes. Otherwise you may want to purchase extra insurance for this.2) I would not pay them until they drop off ALL of the items, and when you sign the receipt make a notation on it that " Not given opportunity to inspect shipment for damage" , or something short like that- the problem is that the K's usually say that by signing below you agree that there are no problems with the shipment- everything is in good condiction, etc, but you have no idea if things are broken this soon- you haven't had the opportunity to even open up your boxes. 3) If they are packing you watch out- most co's overcharge for the boxes, do not fill them up so they can use more, etc. Also, be sure to get an estimate in advance and watch out for them saying that there was more to do than anticipated, so you owe more than the estimate. When they do the estimate, they have seen all that needs to be done, so this is just another way to scam you out of more money. 4) Couldn't hurt to call the BBB (Better Bus Bureau) and check on the co- in the case I had, there had been many complaints against the co, especially about failing to respond to complaints.I think if you do these things, you'll have cut off the chances for most of the scams that are known in the moving busincess. Good luck with your move, I hope this helps.

• 7 years later...

i'll keep you all posted

Suzi

List Owner

health/

http://360./suziesgoats

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

From: SV <shavig@...>health Sent: Wed, November 18, 2009 5:33:39 PMSubject: Re: MY MOVE

Sounds like you are handling all of this very well. Good for you! I'm really glad things have gone well (at least this part!) for you.

Looking forward to updates as you progress on your new adventure.

Shari