RemedySpot.com

Massages

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ladies,

I was just wondering for those of you who have had massages, what kind of massage do you usually get? Is it a Swedish massage? Deep tissue? Fully body? Only upper body? How much $$$$$ ?

I had a Swedish massage during the summer and would love to have another massage, but the one I had wasn't long enough (I was just getting into it!), and it was only my upper body, back side actually. I am not sure what I want to ask for next. I heard deep tissue massages are great, but that you really feel sore.

Please share any of your experiences!

Thanks,

Patty

Patty, I recently had a massage done by a therapist here in Tucson. It was a deep tissue massage. I've never had one before, as the massages I've had have been light and usually 30" in length. This one was 90", and she explained it as a combination of deep tissue, trigger point release, and lymphatic drainage. Really, any deep tissue massage is going to help with lymphatic drainage. It releases the toxins stored in the muscles. You're right--it does hurt--a lot!! I was shocked at how much it hurt. It's not an excruciating pain, nor is it unbearable, it's just "different." It feels good, but at the same time hurts. I'm not sure that makes any sense, but there really is no other way to describe it. She told me that I would be very sore the next day, and told me to use ice as needed, and to basically take it easy. But I was nowhere near as sore as I thought I would be. It was well worth the money, and I felt a hundred times better physically and emotionally. I had a 90" massage and it cost me $55, which I think is excellent! e ----- Original Message ----- From: ~*Patty*~ Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 7:37 PM Subject: Massages Hi ladies, I was just wondering for those of you who have had massages, what kind of massage do you usually get? Is it a Swedish massage? Deep tissue? Fully body? Only upper body? How much $$$$$ ? I had a Swedish massage during the summer and would love to have another massage, but the one I had wasn't long enough (I was just getting into it!), and it was only my upper body, back side actually. I am not sure what I want to ask for next. I heard deep tissue massages are great, but that you really feel sore. Please share any of your experiences! Thanks, Patty

Patty,

Massages are great. I never had the swedish massage but I did have a full body one that I have had several times, for one and a half hours, they do everything, your feet and hands legs, back neck, arms etc, even my scalp. She did some deep tissue work in some areas but she was nervous about doing to much on me as I was still pretty tender from my illness then.

I would get a regular full body massage to start with, she how that goes and then maybe delve into something deeper and more intense.

Hugs

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 8:36 PM

Subject: Massages

Hi ladies,

I was just wondering for those of you who have had massages, what kind of massage do you usually get? Is it a Swedish massage? Deep tissue? Fully body? Only upper body? How much $$$$$ ?

I had a Swedish massage during the summer and would love to have another massage, but the one I had wasn't long enough (I was just getting into it!), and it was only my upper body, back side actually. I am not sure what I want to ask for next. I heard deep tissue massages are great, but that you really feel sore.

Please share any of your experiences!

Thanks,

Patty

Rogene, You bring up some very good points regarding massage. I went back to my fibromyalgia book after reading your email, and you're right about the muscles and skin being stretched. I'm with you---the brief amt of pain I feel during the massage is well worth it because I have been literally muscle pain free since the massage. It was incredible!! Unfortunately, with my move to Denver coming up, I have to stop because I cannot afford any luxeries, as I have to fork out about $1400 for the move to Denver (for a major moving company) plus pay an add'l months rent to get out of my current lease, plus put down an add'l months rent in Denver because my credit isn't great. Add on to that a hotel, mileage, and a tuneup for my car before heading back to Denver, and I've got about $2500 worth of expenses I will have to pay. So, no luxeries for me until after I get that money reimbursed. But I will find a massage therapist in Denver and resume my massages there. Unfortunately, it is much more expensive in Denver to get a massage. It's usually $50 for 30". However, there is an excellent massage school in Boulder and Denver, and the students are very good, and their prices are reasonable. I would go to them just to get a longer massage for a cheaper price. Take care, e ----- Original Message ----- From: Rogene S Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 9:31 PM Subject: Re: Massages e, Your massage therapist sounds like a dream . . . I get a similar massage for one hour . .. $50 with tip. As it was explained to me, those of us with Fibromyalgia, the skin-like covering on our muscles is very taunt. The pain we feel in the joints is often where the muscles tie onto the bones. (The trigger points used to dx FM) The massage therapist stretches this "skin" . . . relieving the pain. Getting sufficient exercise helps keep this tissue supple. One therapist told me that when she starts on an FM client, they feel as though they have very tight, strong muscles . . .but when she's done, the muscles feel like mush. The pain lasts just an instant, and is gone for weeks . .. I look at the pain as an investment. If I've missed getting a massage for a few months, I take a pain pill before going in. I do have to give the therapist permission to work deep . . . They don't want to cause you pain. Every therapists stresses the need for drinking a lot of water in conjunction with the massage . . . I recently learned the local massage school gives massages for $20 a hour. The problem is that, when you find someone who can do massage you need, they graduate and you have to find another therapist. I always look for someone who is strong. . . If they are working beyond their comfort zone, they are subject to developing carpal tunnel. On rare occasions, I'll get a bruise with a massage . . . however, if I try to massage myself, I end up black and blue! I can't believe how they can go in so deep without causing a lot of bruises! Rogene e Rene wrote: Patty, I recently had a massage done by a therapist here in Tucson. It was a deep tissue massage. I've never had one before, as the massages I've had have been light and usually 30" in length. This one was 90", and she explained it as a combination of deep tissue, trigger point release, and lymphatic drainage. Really, any deep tissue massage is going to help with lymphatic drainage. It releases the toxins stored in the muscles. You're right--it does hurt--a lot!! I was shocked at how much it hurt. It's not an excruciating pain, nor is it unbearable, it's just "different." It feels good, but at the same time hurts. I'm not sure that makes any sense, but there really is no other way to describe it. She told me that I would be very sore the next day, and told me to use ice as needed, and to basically take it easy. But I was nowhere near as sore as I thought I would be. It was well worth the money, and I felt a hundred times better physically and emotionally. I had a 90" massage and it cost me $55, which I think is excellent! e ----- Original Message ----- From: ~*Patty*~ Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 7:37 PM Subject: Massages Hi ladies, I was just wondering for those of you who have had massages, what kind of massage do you usually get? Is it a Swedish massage? Deep tissue? Fully body? Only upper body? How much $$$$$ ? I had a Swedish massage during the summer and would love to have another massage, but the one I had wasn't long enough (I was just getting into it!), and it was only my upper body, back side actually. I am not sure what I want to ask for next. I heard deep tissue massages are great, but that you really feel sore. Please share any of your experiences! Thanks, Patty

• 6 years later...

I have had only two massages in my 69 years, but if I could afford it

and the service was available in my small town, I'd have one every day!

Or at least once a week! LOL.

Sue

On Thursday, October 23, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Mimi wrote:

> I've only had one massage in my life and it totally gave me the heebie

> jeebies. I guess I'm one of those that can't handle it.

Since I have fibromyalgia I don't like getting massages unless

desparate. A few years ago I won a free massage from our radio station.

It was too uncomfortable so I couldn't relax well.

Debbie L

Did the therapist know you had Fibro?  Some will do lighter work with fibro

people.  Some, but not all, cannot tolerate a deep massage.  I personally love

them.

(Have RA and am a massage therapist)

[ ] Re: Massages

Debbie L

I told the therapist but he didn't know what it meant. Good you love

getting massages. If I find a good therapist I might get another

massage. Sure can use one.

Debbie L

--- In , Bloomquist <skaye81@...>

wrote:

>

> Did the therapist know you had Fibro?  Some will do lighter work

with fibro people.  Some, but not all, cannot tolerate a deep

massage.  I personally love them.

>  

>   (Have RA and am a massage therapist)

>

>

>

>

>

>

Ditto. I do not like anyone touching me.... Even a doctors exam can be painful

at times!

*~ Kami ~*

Debbie L

OMG i so totally LOVE massages. it HELPS with my ra. i describe myself as a car

needing to b warmed up. lol

really though it gets my blood flowing. then afterwards i FEEL like i can do

anything.....

god bless,melynda gamez

I told the therapist but he didn't know what it meant. Good you love

getting massages. If I find a good therapist I might get another

massage. Sure can use one.

Debbie L

--- In , Bloomquist <skaye81@...>

wrote:

>

> Did the therapist know you had Fibro?  Some will do lighter work

with fibro people.  Some, but not all, cannot tolerate a deep

massage.  I personally love them.

>  

>   (Have RA and am a massage therapist)

>

>

>

>     

>

>