>From: " melillo " <mellillo1@...>

>

>My daughter's platelets dropped low when she was on Biaxin but they figured

>out it was the Prozac she was on that was causing the problem. When they

>took her off the platelets went up. Are you on any antidepressants that

>might be causing the low count?

>Sharon

>

>>Send to -Offtopiconelist messages unrelated to lyme, please.

>/archives.cgi/

>/archives.cgi/Lyme-Documents

>To unsubscribe, send email to -unsubscribeonelist

>You may substitute " subscribe " , or " digest " or " normal " for

>the word " unsubscribe " ( " normal " is the opposite of " digest " ). Leave blank

both the message and subject header.

>

• 8 years later...

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

My neighbor and friend of about 23 yrs old went to hospital Mon. nite and

they found he had zero blood platelets. Gave him two vials or whatever and

next morning

still zero. Has anyone ran into this b4? Would LDN be good when he gets

home?

He had contacted Staph from out of the blue about a week or so ago.

Related?

Thanks for any input.

Cotton

N. Central Texas

Cotton,

My mother has a tendency toward low platelets - never been at 0, but pretty close. She's had ehrlichiosis, which can contribute to low platelets - in that case, I'm not sure how LDN would help since that's a bacterial infection.

But I have low IgA - that can contribute to: asthma, allergies, arthritis, and thrombocytopenia (low platelets). Now that condition can be autoimmune - they can run routine bloodwork to look at total IgA and if it's low, they should look to see if there are anti-IgA antibodies. If so, then LDN might help. Also these folks could have problems if requiring blood transfusions - I think it's due to the IgA autoantibodies....

Unfortunately the low IgA (also referred to as IgAD, or IgA Deficiency) can also present w/other immune system problems such as not being able to get rid of infections w/the immune system, but must depend on antibiotics (and maybe antivirals).

Not sure if this helps, but it's all I know on this subject;)

Sue

Posted by: "cotton" cotteni@... cotteni

Wed Sep 3, 2008 8:08 am (PDT)

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this.My neighbor and friend of about 23 yrs old went to hospital Mon. nite and they found he had zero blood platelets. Gave him two vials or whatever and next morningstill zero. Has anyone ran into this b4? Would LDN be good when he gets home?He had contacted Staph from out of the blue about a week or so ago. Related?Thanks for any input.CottonN. Central Texas

Thanks Sue,

That's more than I know and he is in the hospital 70 miles away so the info I get is limited. I just knew they gave him platelets and next morning still was at zero.

I think they started him on Prednisone this morning as well.

I've known this kid since he was in school and he was one of the best kids growing up you could hope to meet. Still is. Recently became a happy father.

[low dose naltrexone] Re: platelet

Cotton,

My mother has a tendency toward low platelets - never been at 0, but pretty close. She's had ehrlichiosis, which can contribute to low platelets - in that case, I'm not sure how LDN would help since that's a bacterial infection.

But I have low IgA - that can contribute to: asthma, allergies, arthritis, and thrombocytopenia (low platelets). Now that condition can be autoimmune - they can run routine bloodwork to look at total IgA and if it's low, they should look to see if there are anti-IgA antibodies. If so, then LDN might help. Also these folks could have problems if requiring blood transfusions - I think it's due to the IgA autoantibodies....

Unfortunately the low IgA (also referred to as IgAD, or IgA Deficiency) can also present w/other immune system problems such as not being able to get rid of infections w/the immune system, but must depend on antibiotics (and maybe antivirals).

Not sure if this helps, but it's all I know on this subject;)

Sue

Posted by: "cotton" cottenibrazosnet cotteni

Wed Sep 3, 2008 8:08 am (PDT)

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this.My neighbor and friend of about 23 yrs old went to hospital Mon. nite and they found he had zero blood platelets. Gave him two vials or whatever and next morningstill zero. Has anyone ran into this b4? Would LDN be good when he gets home?He had contacted Staph from out of the blue about a week or so ago. Related?Thanks for any input.CottonN. Central Texas

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.15/1649 - Release Date: 9/3/2008 7:15 AM

yes, my sister had this diagnosis a few year ago - zero platelets! they put her on prednisone & also were going to give her a spleenectomy (removal of spleen); which a test proved it wasn't necessary!! she went home on steroids; and her condition did improve!! my daughter-in-law had to have the spleenectomy, because nothing else raised her level!! after spleenectomy, her platelet level did reach normal!! at that time, i had not heard about LDN; so don't really know about it's effects on low/no platelets!! my thoughts are - because my sister was a diabetic, at the time - maybe LDN would have helped!! my daughter-in-law was suffering from lupus, when her condition occured; so maybe LDN would have helped her also!!

marshiris@...It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.

Thanks, I passed it on.

Re: [low dose naltrexone] Re: platelet

yes, my sister had this diagnosis a few year ago - zero platelets! they put her on prednisone & also were going to give her a spleenectomy (removal of spleen); which a test proved it wasn't necessary!! she went home on steroids; and her condition did improve!! my daughter-in-law had to have the spleenectomy, because nothing else raised her level!! after spleenectomy, her platelet level did reach normal!! at that time, i had not heard about LDN; so don't really know about it's effects on low/no platelets!! my thoughts are - because my sister was a diabetic, at the time - maybe LDN would have helped!! my daughter-in-law was suffering from lupus, when her condition occured; so maybe LDN would have helped her also!!

marshirisaol

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.16/1651 - Release Date: 9/4/2008 6:57 AM

almost immediately after my sister's battle with the zero platelets, she was diagnosed with sarcoidosis; so maybe that was brewing in her system at that time of crisis; just as the daughter-in-law had been diagnosed with lupus right before her low platelets!! from what has been discussed on this forum, they're both autoimmune diseases!!

marshiris@...It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.

Thanks, I pass info on to family. Seems like LDN would be a good treatment once he gets out and Pred is reduced to 10mg or less. Am I thinking right?

Re: [low dose naltrexone] Re: platelet

almost immediately after my sister's battle with the zero platelets, she was diagnosed with sarcoidosis; so maybe that was brewing in her system at that time of crisis; just as the daughter-in-law had been diagnosed with lupus right before her low platelets!! from what has been discussed on this forum, they're both autoimmune diseases!!

marshirisaol

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.16/1652 - Release Date: 9/4/2008 6:54 PM

COTTENI - yes, from all that we've learned on this forum, when he weans down to 10 mgs. prednisone, he can start his LDN THERAPY!!

marshiris@...

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.