RemedySpot.com

EFAs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HI Vikki,

We have used eye q, hemp oil and various others over the years. We had tested after years of supplementing with hemp oil and found that he was low end of normal in 6 and 9 and very deficient in 3. We started supplementing with 3 capsules of biocare mega epa daily and 3 -5 mls of cod liver oil (Nordic Naturals ). We tested again and all his fatty acids were fine.

Jane

EFAs

Help! Which EFAs supplement has the highest amount of EPA, DHA and GLA?According to nutritionists, every individual, regardless of the extra deficiencies placed on the body by autism, should have at least1000mg of omega 3 fats, and150mg GLA.I am currently using Eye Q, but this contains a tiny proportion of these amounts! And most of the others, like Kirkmans and UDOs, seem to be the same.I appreciate we also get a certain amount through normal ingested foods, but this still seems very lacking!Any ideas from anyone, please!Vikki B

I think Nordic Naturals has the highest dha, epa amounts. Also Carlson's makes a high epa fish oil

EFAs

Help! Which EFAs supplement has the highest amount of EPA, DHA and GLA?According to nutritionists, every individual, regardless of the extra deficiencies placed on the body by autism, should have at least1000mg of omega 3 fats, and150mg GLA.I am currently using Eye Q, but this contains a tiny proportion of these amounts! And most of the others, like Kirkmans and UDOs, seem to be the same.I appreciate we also get a certain amount through normal ingested foods, but this still seems very lacking!Any ideas from anyone, please!Vikki B

Thanks,

EFAs

I have Coromega: epa 290, dha 190, per packet

Nordic Naturals epa 425, dha 650 per tsp.

We give two tsps. Nordic Naturals, one packet Coromega per day.

Re: EFAs

In a message dated 14/11/2005 14:49:06 GMT Standard Time, michael.browning@... writes:

am currently using Eye Q, but this contains a tiny proportion of these amounts! And most of the others, like Kirkmans and UDOs, seem to be the same.

>>>You need to take more of it. there is big one for the EPA, I think its called Omega Brite but only seen it in the US. Eye Q Nordic Naturals + Equazen Quarma. Some do Coromega whichis higher EPA but the flavours send some kids batty

HTH

Mandi in UK

In a message dated 15/11/2005 00:24:02 GMT Standard Time, Ladyshrink111@... writes:

>>>Yes the recommneded ratios are off in the Nordic Naturals, advice here is much more EPA to DHA, so I think Coromega and Eye Q are the only ones that do it this way round. Eye Q has a little GLA for balance also

Mandi x

In a message dated 15/11/2005 12:58:48 GMT Standard Time, catherine.devereux@... writes:

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy the Nordic Naturals? Would it be the Nutricentre

>>>Somewhere else I think - I hae it listed under supps Suppliers in the links page of the TA site

Treating Autism

Mandi x

FUNCTION VS STRUCTURE At first glance, these molecules look very similar. But they play very different roles, and choosingthe right one is crucial to achieve optimum brain function.

Eicosapentaenoic Acid 20:5n-3 Docosahexanoic Acid 22:6n-3

-Essential for the moment-to-moment regulation of brain functioning, such as cell signalling and neuronal blood flow

-Part of the structure of neuronal membranes

-Raw material for prostaglandins: hormones that assist in anti-inflammatory and the immune system

-EPA can convert easily to DHA if required

-Inhibits enzymes that attack other highly

unsaturated fatty acids

-Crucial for early visual development, during

pregnancy and infancy. Studies have shown

links between babies’ DHA intake, andincreased visual acuteness

-Proven to assist in mental health, and with an apparent role in enhancing mood.

-No efficacy seen from pure DHA in children with learning difficulties, but benefits have been seen in similar trials using a combined EPA and DHA supplement

-Strong evidence that can assist in learning and concentration

-No role in creating prostaglandins

CONCLUSION: DHA is important during pregnancy and early infancy. EPA is crucial from early childhood and throughout life, particularly for optimum brain function.

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy the Nordic Naturals? Would it be the Nutricentre?

EFAs

Nordic Naturals makes a high epa fish oil, as does Carlson's, for those who are following whatever edict says that epa is better than dha.

In a message dated 15/11/2005 00:24:02 GMT Standard Time, Ladyshrink111@... writes:

>>>Yes the recommneded ratios are off in the Nordic Naturals, advice here is much more EPA to DHA, so I think Coromega and Eye Q are the only ones that do it this way round. Eye Q has a little GLA for balance also

Mandi x

Thanks Mandi - will be on to it!

In a message dated 15/11/2005 12:58:48 GMT Standard Time, catherine.devereux@... writes:

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy the Nordic Naturals? Would it be the Nutricentre

>>>Somewhere else I think - I hae it listed under supps Suppliers in the links page of the TA site

Treating Autism

Mandi x

Hi Mandi,

What is the recommended daily intake of say the eye Q per day for children our age?

Thanks

Mandi x

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

Hi!

I have a question for the group concerning EFAs. Is it best to take

flaxseed oil in cottage cheese every day as a source of EFAs? I

remember reading somewhere that hemp seed oil was a better source as it

had more of the 2:1 ratio. Also, I thought flaxseed oil did not

provide the best ratio of omega 3 to 6.

Thanks in advance,

Brad