RemedySpot.com

Re: Question re MS and Hip Surgery and LDN

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hip surgery has many different procedures. Obviously, you are talking about a total hip replacement. It depends on the approach and how much of the muscle is cut as to the length of weakness. Most modern approaches salvage a lot of the muscles, and this is good for a quick recovery. There is a relatively new mini-incision procedure that is not applicable to everyone based on weight, afge, and severity of the arthritis, and if you are lucky enough to qualify for this and your doctor is EXPERIENCED in this the recovery is extremely fast. But of course there are risks to this so not everyone is a candidate.

The surgery should not have any effect on your MS, but your MS may slow the rehab process, of course - based on your current disability in that leg. It seems that many with MS especially secondary progressive, seem to have a longer recovery time - tiredness mostly from the anesthesia for a few days, but not all. Remember that any surgery of this sort is an assault on your body and has the tendency to make even healthy people wiped out for a few days, but you probably needed the rest anyway......

Stop the LDN the day or two before as has been recommended by the experts on this list.

Hip surgery is not as painful as total knee surgery and most people do not need strong narcotics after the first week or usually less.Good luck

Bob C

From: dollsesq <DollsEsq@...>Subject: [low dose naltrexone] Question re MS and Hip Surgery and LDNlow dose naltrexone Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 7:57 PM

If anyone with MS has had an experience with hip surgery due to osteo arthritis, I would be interested in hearing whether the surgery affected your leg muscle strength, and for how long you had to be off LDN while taking pain meds either during the day or at night.Thanks,Joyce

If anyone with MS has had an experience with hip surgery due to osteo arthritis, I would be interested in hearing whether the surgery affected your leg muscle strength, and for how long you had to be off LDN while taking pain meds either during the day or at night.Thanks,Joyce

Joyce, I had hip surgery last year but I have cancer so not so sure how relevant my experience will be. This was just before I started LDN but to be honest, the only pain meds the hospital gave me where paracetamol, so had I been on LDN I would not have had to come off it. (apart from don't know what the anesthetic was comprised of - I had the 'spinal') For the first two months after surgery, you must sleep on your back, that was the worst part of it for me, then I could not cope with that any longer and put a pillow between my knees and sort of tilted my body over - which was better. Also you have to wear those ghastly 'stockings' for a while to guard against DVT's. Once home, I was tempted to take stronger med's, and thus waitied about ten days after surgery before I started LDN.

The hip I had done was my left one, and it took a while before it became muscled up again - plus I had a dimple in my bum!!:-))) I used double walking sticks to start with, after about six weeks I coped well with one, and after three months did not use one at all. It took a while but now all I can say is, it was the best thing I ever did!!! The freedom from that pain is wonderful....Good luck with it.....

Celia

Thanks to all who responded to my hip surgery/MS/LDN question. it was very helpful and reassuring.

JoyceOne site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!