RemedySpot.com

Starting LDN

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Mara,

For IBD you can just start off at 4.5 mg a day...People with MS sometimes ramp up slowly to keep from having an exacerbation of their symptoms .

People apply it to their wrists because the skin is thin there and the LDN gets into their bloodstream easily. It works by blocking endorphine production for a short period of time, which tricks the body into producing more endorphines. It's not like a topical treatment that you put on where it hurts. For instance, prednisone , if it was available topically, wouldn't work any better if you put it on your stomach, it works from inside your system.

Some people in the studies were able to remain in remission after discontinuing LDN, but since it has no side effects, is cheap, and also protects against cancer, why would you stop taking it ?

On the LDN website, it shows photos of a colonoscopy before LDN, and after a month of LDN - the "after" colonoscopy showed a healed intestine so no - it actually heals the intestines rather than just masking symptoms. That does not mean, however, that you can eat or drink anything you want. LDN will help keep you in remission, but it is not a cure.

There are other people on the list who have used LDN for Parkinson's with good results, I'm sure they will speak up and give you advice on dosage.

Regards,

-- [low dose naltrexone] Starting LDN

Hi,I've been on the list for more than a month, but this is my first post. I have UC and am on SCD and have this week ordered the LDN, compoundedaccording to Dr.McCandless' formula as a cream from Coastal Compounding. I should be receiving it today or tomorrow. And am eager to start. But I have a few questions. First, I ordered the 4.5 mg a day, but I'm wondering if I need to introduce itmore slowly and if so, at what dosage and for how long?Also, I believe I read that people apply it on their wrist. Since the pharmacysaid you can apply it anywhere without hair, I'm wondering why people apply the cream there, as opposed to other places, including on their stomach, near the site of where they are effected. And, is LDN a treatment one continues for life, because it is maskingyour symptoms or do people actually go into remission and recover?Also, my mother has Parkinson's and I was hoping to be able to get hera prescription for LDN. I'm wondering the best method to take LDN forParkinsons patients - cream or pill and what dosage? And, if her regulardoctor won't prescribe it, does anyone know of a doctor in NY who will. Thanks in advance for your help,Mara

>

> Hi,

>

> I've been on the list for more than a month, but this is my first

post.

>

> I have UC and am on SCD and have this week ordered the LDN,

compounded

> according to Dr.McCandless' formula as a cream from Coastal

Compounding.

> I should be receiving it today or tomorrow. And am eager to

start. But I

> have a few questions.

>

> First, I ordered the 4.5 mg a day, but I'm wondering if I need to

introduce it

> more slowly and if so, at what dosage and for how long?

>

> Also, I believe I read that people apply it on their wrist. Since

the pharmacy

> said you can apply it anywhere without hair, I'm wondering why

people

> apply the cream there, as opposed to other places, including on

their

> stomach, near the site of where they are effected.

>

> And, is LDN a treatment one continues for life, because it is

masking

> your symptoms or do people actually go into remission and recover?

>

> Also, my mother has Parkinson's and I was hoping to be able to get

her

> a prescription for LDN. I'm wondering the best method to take LDN

for

> Parkinsons patients - cream or pill and what dosage? And, if her

regular

> doctor won't prescribe it, does anyone know of a doctor in NY who

will.

>

> Thanks in advance for your help,

>

> Mara

>

============

================

Most of us have to stay on LDN for life, some with crohn's can come

off LDN and remain in remission.

If you find 4.5mg too much to handle at the start, you can drop

dosage to 1.5mg for a few weeks and gradually up the dose.

Dr. McCandless would take your mom on as a patient, get with

McCandless for her fees. If autoimmune disease runs in your family,

which it certainly looks as the case, have Dr. Mccandless order you

and mom a lyme test and candida yeast test.

, LDN user 5 years for progressive MS, MS progression has been

halted for 5 years on 4.5mg LDN, candida eliminating diet,

supplements, exercise(especially pool therapy), detox kits by

Advanced Naturals(YeastMax, LiverMax, KidneyMax, ParaMax, etc)

http://www.advancednaturals.com email at Advanced

Naturals for an order page for ordering kits as a single sale instead

of bulk sale. Diagnosed progressive MS 1989.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on LDN for a week now. And I haven't been on the list

long enough yet to register whether there is a great deal of fluctuation

in reaction to LDN in the initial weeks you take it. So I'll just

describe

my situation and hopefully someone can advise.

My first 4 days were pretty good. I was filled with energy and my

UC seemed to be mitigating - though of course not solved

overnight. I had no intense dreams - would have enjoyed that -

but my sleep was definitely not as deep as it usually is.

Starting day 5, my reaction wasn't as good, symptoms

began to reverse or to go back to the way they had been without

the LDN and I began to feel a certain level of exhaustion

during the afternoons.

Now - this regression started about a week before I am due to begin

menstruation and there is usually an uptick in my

UC symptoms at this point.

So, I don't know whether this cycle of increased symptoms

is something that the LDN at this point is unable to mitigate;

or whether it is within the range of normal that there is some

level of fluctuation of improvement/regression with the LDN

in the beginning, or whether it begins to look like LDN may

not work for me long term.

TIA,

Mara

>

> Hi, as far as I've learned there is some

> level of fluctuation of improvement/regression with the LDN

> in the beginning also for those with IBD.

> Try to avoid all your triggers, I guess you know all of them by now,

> and if you're beginning to feel better, don't be tempted to taste the

forbidden fruits.

> Those with U.C can combine asacol with LDN, it has often been of great help

during

> the first 5-10 months. Are you using the transdermal cream? If not, you could

always

> try that. For us with IBD it's often better to avoid the pills which may

irritate the tummy.

> Have you considered using the SCD diet? www.scdiet.org

>

> Dr. McCandless one of the experts on LDN has seen how diet can inihibit LDN

from

working properly.

> She suggests to avoid gluten, sugar, dairy and soy. 

>  

> I happen to know that yeast (bread) and brewers yeast (beer) also could

trigger u.c. (and

Crohns).

Thanks Ingrid. I'm on SCD and have been so for 17 months. And am using

the transdermal cream according to Dr. McCandless' formulation.

I'll try to avoid any trigger foods I know about. But I'm not quite clear

what you are saying - is it that it simply that those trigger foods can

trigger symptoms thus rendering the LDN less effective? Or, trigger foods

also inhibits LDN from working directly?

Someone else mentioned that it's possible to get candida symptoms

heightened from LDN? Do you or anyone know about that?

TIA,

Mara

Hi Mara,

You definitely need to give it more time. I personally have NEVER heard of an IBD patient for whom LDN did not work - as ling as they were reasonable about diet, etc.

It will take a while, but just as the disease itself is progressive, S is the healing.

My daughter had severe Crohn's and the longer she is on LDN the better she gets. Also, keep a food journal - my daughter followed SCD fairly well, but found that ground beef would trigger symptoms. Strange - she can eat steak or lean beef, but not hamburger. Everyon is different.

Wishing you the best,

-- [low dose naltrexone] Starting LDN

I've been on LDN for a week now. And I haven't been on the listlong enough yet to register whether there is a great deal of fluctuationin reaction to LDN in the initial weeks you take it. So I'll just describemy situation and hopefully someone can advise.My first 4 days were pretty good. I was filled with energy and myUC seemed to be mitigating - though of course not solvedovernight. I had no intense dreams - would have enjoyed that -but my sleep was definitely not as deep as it usually is.Starting day 5, my reaction wasn't as good, symptomsbegan to reverse or to go back to the way they had been withoutthe LDN and I began to feel a certain level of exhaustionduring the afternoons.Now - this regression started about a week before I am due to beginmenstruation and there is usually an uptick in myUC symptoms at this point.So, I don't know whether this cycle of increased symptomsis something that the LDN at this point is unable to mitigate;or whether it is within the range of normal that there is somelevel of fluctuation of improvement/regression with the LDNin the beginning, or whether it begins to look like LDN maynot work for me long term.TIA,Mara

Oh no, just the triggers that you usually may feel attempted to eat when you feel better. Has to do with the disease itself - and a possible reaction to those spesific triggers. (I for instance love vegetables). Every time I've felt a bit better I have increased my veggie intake...then it's likely I get sick again. I have Crohns in distal jejunum, having Crohns there is rather rare, and eating vegetables when not in 100 % remission will now and then lead to obstructions rather than excessive diarrhea. On the other hand, if you often eat trigger foods while on LDN, and as a result get increased diarrhea, it will probably take longer time for LDN to work. The set backs are absolutely not for the good.

The endorphins needs up to three months to work for full, therefore we have to work as serious as possible due to our project. We need to give LDN time, 9 - 12 months is within the normal time line for a healing process. Other diseases (ex. MS) could even need more time, LDN is often working slowly. What I've learned is that for some people the healing processes starts from day one, and there are big differences within weeks, while for other the healing process takes time, no or only small changes during the first 9 - 12 months, later on they will find more improvements. (And for some people with MS there is no or just a few improvements, but their disease progress is halted).

Since you're doing the probably best diet there is for IBD, the SCD - I guess you're already in great health, so adding LDN on top of your choice of treatment could only lead to a super remission.

I think Dr. McCandless mentioned that it's a risk getting candida while on LDN, could be the LDN is triggering candida to an overgrowth. I have saved copies from Dr McCandless and her protocol. If candida is an issue, it's wise to use her protocol.

You have done two wise choices, I only have to wish you the best of luck! Please, let us know how you're doing during your journey, every persons story is of great value here, no matter the result.

To read success storys about LDN:

www.casehealth.com.au

scroll down the first site and click in the box "Free booklet".

Friendly regards,

Ingrid

From: Mara Schiffren <alcibiades@...>low dose naltrexone Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 1:09:15 AMSubject: [low dose naltrexone] Re: Starting LDN>> Hi, as far as I've learned there is some> level of fluctuation of improvement/regression with the LDN> in the beginning also for those with IBD. > Try to avoid all your triggers, I guess you know all of them by now,> and if you're beginning to feel better, don't be tempted to taste the forbidden fruits.> Those

with U.C can combine asacol with LDN, it has often been of great help during> the first 5-10 months. Are you using the transdermal cream? If not, you could always> try that. For us with IBD it's often better to avoid the pills which may irritate the tummy.> Have you considered using the SCD diet? www.scdiet.org> > Dr. McCandless one of the experts on LDN has seen how diet can inihibit LDN from working properly. > She suggests to avoid gluten, sugar, dairy and soy. > > I happen to know that yeast (bread) and brewers yeast (beer) also could trigger u.c. (and Crohns). Thanks Ingrid. I'm on SCD and have been so for 17 months. And am usingthe transdermal cream according to Dr. McCandless' formulation. I'll try to avoid any trigger foods I know about. But

I'm not quite clearwhat you are saying - is it that it simply that those trigger foods cantrigger symptoms thus rendering the LDN less effective? Or, trigger foodsalso inhibits LDN from working directly? Someone else mentioned that it's possible to get candida symptomsheightened from LDN? Do you or anyone know about that?TIA,Mara------------------------------------

Thank you, marshiris,

ngggh!....sometimes it's so easy to confuse.....whish my English was perfect. :-)...

hopefully I am not too old to learn, so we'll see if there will be some improvements,---if any at all...;-) Ingrid

From: "marshiris@..." <marshiris@...>low dose naltrexone Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:19:49 PMSubject: Re: [low dose naltrexone] Re: Starting LDN

MARA - i think ingrid is saying that those foods trigger adverse symptoms of the disease; not that they make the LDN null & void!! they can also trigger flare-ups of IBD!! they will take a while to come out of, once they grab hold of the intestines!! may even have to go back to using opiods for pain, and steroids to get the inflammation down, again!!

marshiris@...

Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com.

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Hi, I'm planning on starting LDN in the next week. My doctor wants me to start on 4.5 mg/day (the dosage given in the Penn State Crohn's study) but I know that it seems those in the groups think starting out at a lower dosage is better. Are there any who have started at the 4.5 and haven't had any problems?

Thanks, Maureen

Guest guest

I have MS and started at 4.5 with no problems at all! It actually gave me more

energy the very next day! I say go for it. If you have problems, you can

always back off slowly.

Guest guest

My brother (6 months on LDN) started directly on 4.5 for his polymyositis. He

had no issues other that 1 vivid dream which he enjoyed! He does weigh about

200 lbs - not sure if that makes a difference. My wife (27 months on LDN for

stage 4 breast cancer) started at 3 for 30 days and then went up to 4.5 with

only slight sleep issues the first week or so. She weighs quite a bit less 8-)

They are both doing exceptionally well!

God Bless,

Steve

>

> Hi, I'm planning on starting LDN in the next week. My doctor wants me to start

on 4.5 mg/day (the dosage given in the Penn State Crohn's study) but I know that

it seems those in the groups think starting out at a lower dosage is better. Are

there any who have started at the 4.5 and haven't had any problems?

>  

> Thanks, Maureen

>