RemedySpot.com

Re: [SPAM] New LDN RX......pills vs. cream

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

Great - at least you got your Doctor to take the first step......your story is similar to my own.

Yes - some of the filler can cause a flare, along with other symptoms. My daughter got very nauseous with the Avicil filler, along with loss of appetite, which, as you know, a Crohn's patient cannot afford.

I can understand the antidepressant - my daughter was very angry and depressed after 5 plus years of Crohn's flare with no relief. Anything I tried to approach her with was met with anger and defiance - especially diet. She was so sick that she often could not get out of bed - she weighed 98 pounds and we really thought we might lose her. The depression caused by constant pain made her believe that NOTHING was going to work and she wanted to at least eat whatever she wanted ( I guess it was just having SOME measure of control over her life).

It was really when she went on the cream that the most drastic improvements happened, and it is because the cream bypasses the digestive system and is absorbed BETTER than the capsules - this is why Dr. McCandless uses the cream for her young patients.

I am glad to report that after 5 months she now weighs 118 pounds, her grades are up, and she is once again the happy, optimistic girl she used to be. She also is now very active in her own health, she's careful about how she eats and exercises. She's now in the middle of finals, which used to be a VERY bad time, and she is sailing through it. I really believe that once your daughter is feeling better, the anti-depressants will not be needed. Endorphins are mood regulators, so low endorphins could possibly play a part not only in autoimmune diseases, but also in the depression which accompanies them.

Best Wishes and Prayers for your daughter,

-- [sPAM] [low dose naltrexone] New LDN RX......pills vs. cream

Hello,

Just wanted to let everyone know my daughter got her doctor to prescribe LDN thanks to all the input we got her. She first mentioned it to her Dr. at the consult just as an option and to plant the seed, but of course he didn't prescribe it. He first put her on Asacol for her Crohn's along with the prednisone and within a few days her condition was worse. Next was Pentasa which also made her symptoms worse so she wasn't tolerating the mesalamine in these drugs. As soon as she stopped both her symptoms improved within a few days. She new the next drug would be Imuran so she printed out all the information on LDN found a pharmacy that mixed it and gave all this info to her doctor along with a letter letting him know she wanted to give it a try. She went back to see him a few days ago and he agreed to prescribe it, but said she was his first patient he ever has done this for. He wants her to keep him posted on how she is doing as he is curious about the effects of LDN for Crohn's. She is on Prednisone 10 mg now and will be tapering to 5 mg once she starts the LDN.

Ok that was the great news now for the not so great. The doctor would only prescribe the pill form to start her on because he feels it has a better absorption, and my daughter didn't want to push him anymore. We know by reading all the posts that the cream is much better than pills as the fillers in the capsules can flare up the Crohn's. He is staring her on 2.5 mg and will increase up to 4.5mg. A few questions does anyone take the pills and do ok with them? Do you have to titrate the dose up or do some people do ok on the lower dose? If you could please give us some ideas on side effects, we know it can affect sleep. I am worried about the loosing sleep as my daughter already has problems with sleep. Does it always have to be taken at night, or is that only recommended for MS? One other thing she is on an antidepressant which is new to her since her diagnosis. I'm wondering if she will still need to be on this starting on the LDN? I would appreciate any info as we are starting new on the LDN.....Hurray! I do hope this works for her and want to go about it correctly and also make sure my daughter is well aware of what to expect so she doesn't get frustrated and not give it a fair chance. Problem is I seem to have to do all the leg work. I need to read all about LDN again since we are starting it. You notice I say "we".

Wish us luck, and I will keep you posted on her progress. Oh and we and the pharmacist are prepared to ask for the cream if she relapses, just don't want to push it too much as we feel lucky to get the RX.

Concerned Mom

BEST WISHES FOR YOUR DAUGHTER, CONCERNED MOTHER!! she's now on her way!! also, that's good advice about the LDN cream, developed by dr. mccandless!!

marshiris@...

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Hi ,

wish you good luck with the pill form. I use the pills without having any problems at all. I started on 3 mg and waited 3 weeks before I tried 4.5 mg. This is the optimal dose. I didn't have to start on 3 mg, but I had read the posts that was ment to the MS'ers here...:-)...

Dr. Jill starts on 4.5 mg immediately. It's ok to start up using LDN when she's using 10 mg prednisone, at such a low dose LDN and prednisone are not contraindicated. She could also use longer time from 10 mg to zero to be sure that pred is doing the job.

When taking 10 mg of pred (and less) the immune system is not suppressed, so therefore it's not opposing the LDN. Side effects may occur, often it's vivid dreams, feeling too awake in the middle of night or insomnia. 20 % of all LDN users get one of these.

Within 8 - 10 days the side effects should be gone. Use LDN every night before bedtime, she can try to find the best time to take it to avoid side effects by varying the time. (Not before 9.00 pm or after 3.am.) LDN may not work so well when taking it at day. The side effects are most often easy to cope with.

LDN is elevating the mood for many of us. Hope that she'll get the transdermal cream if she can't use the pills. Check of if it's lactose filler.....several with IBD can't use those.

All my best, Ingrid

From: Lavata'i <lavatai@...>low dose naltrexone Sent: Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:23:59 AMSubject: Re: [sPAM] [low dose naltrexone] New LDN RX......pills vs. cream

Hi ,

Great - at least you got your Doctor to take the first step......your story is similar to my own.

Yes - some of the filler can cause a flare, along with other symptoms. My daughter got very nauseous with the Avicil filler, along with loss of appetite, which, as you know, a Crohn's patient cannot afford.

I can understand the antidepressant - my daughter was very angry and depressed after 5 plus years of Crohn's flare with no relief. Anything I tried to approach her with was met with anger and defiance - especially diet. She was so sick that she often could not get out of bed - she weighed 98 pounds and we really thought we might lose her. The depression caused by constant pain made her believe that NOTHING was going to work and she wanted to at least eat whatever she wanted ( I guess it was just having SOME measure of control over her life).

It was really when she went on the cream that the most drastic improvements happened, and it is because the cream bypasses the digestive system and is absorbed BETTER than the capsules - this is why Dr. McCandless uses the cream for her young patients.

I am glad to report that after 5 months she now weighs 118 pounds, her grades are up, and she is once again the happy, optimistic girl she used to be. She also is now very active in her own health, she's careful about how she eats and exercises. She's now in the middle of finals, which used to be a VERY bad time, and she is sailing through it. I really believe that once your daughter is feeling better, the anti-depressants will not be needed. Endorphins are mood regulators, so low endorphins could possibly play a part not only in autoimmune diseases, but also in the depression which accompanies them.

Best Wishes and Prayers for your daughter,

-- [sPAM] [low dose naltrexone] New LDN RX......pills vs. cream

Hello,

Just wanted to let everyone know my daughter got her doctor to prescribe LDN thanks to all the input we got her. She first mentioned it to her Dr. at the consult just as an option and to plant the seed, but of course he didn't prescribe it. He first put her on Asacol for her Crohn's along with the prednisone and within a few days her condition was worse. Next was Pentasa which also made her symptoms worse so she wasn't tolerating the mesalamine in these drugs. As soon as she stopped both her symptoms improved within a few days. She new the next drug would be Imuran so she printed out all the information on LDN found a pharmacy that mixed it and gave all this info to her doctor along with a letter letting him know she wanted to give it a try. She went back to see him a few days ago and he agreed to prescribe it, but said she was his first patient he ever has done this for. He wants her to keep him posted on how

she is doing as he is curious about the effects of LDN for Crohn's. She is on Prednisone 10 mg now and will be tapering to 5 mg once she starts the LDN.

Ok that was the great news now for the not so great. The doctor would only prescribe the pill form to start her on because he feels it has a better absorption, and my daughter didn't want to push him anymore. We know by reading all the posts that the cream is much better than pills as the fillers in the capsules can flare up the Crohn's. He is staring her on 2.5 mg and will increase up to 4.5mg. A few questions does anyone take the pills and do ok with them? Do you have to titrate the dose up or do some people do ok on the lower dose? If you could please give us some ideas on side effects, we know it can affect sleep. I am worried about the loosing sleep as my daughter already has problems with sleep. Does it always have to be taken at night, or is that only recommended for MS? One other thing she is on an antidepressant which is new to her since her diagnosis. I'm wondering if she will still need to be on this starting on

the LDN? I would appreciate any info as we are starting new on the LDN.....Hurray! I do hope this works for her and want to go about it correctly and also make sure my daughter is well aware of what to expect so she doesn't get frustrated and not give it a fair chance. Problem is I seem to have to do all the leg work. I need to read all about LDN again since we are starting it. You notice I say "we".

Wish us luck, and I will keep you posted on her progress. Oh and we and the pharmacist are prepared to ask for the cream if she relapses, just don't want to push it too much as we feel lucky to get the RX.

Concerned Mom