Guest guest

Thanks for the article. Why can't they just admit that they were wrong and

ban mercury from everything already? It's very frustrating that FDA is

supposed to be protecting us, yet, they are hurting us every minute of the

day. What a coverup to tell pregnant women to stay away from

mercury-containing fish.

I've worked in the dental field, and the mercury used in fillings now

is a very minute amount compared to what they used to use. I have

several mercury fillings which used the old 1970s mix.

I do not believe that this has affected either of my two boys - one

who is mildly autistic (but, I believe due to different reasons) and

one who is so far normal.

Not all fillings require the mercury fillings. These are generally

used in molars where you need a more secure and durable surface and

where the decay is deep. Most other fillings placed in the mouth are a

calcium-based material.

The effects of mercury may still exist from previous amounts used, but

the dental industry has come a long way and I don't believe it is much

of an issue. But, you notice the effect of mercury isn't predicated on

the fact of mercury being present in the fillings, but on the mother's

particular natural predisposition to react to the mercury in the fillings.

Darlene

>

> FDA Reluctantly Admits Mercury Fillings Have Neurotoxic Effects on

> Children

>

> “Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic

effects on

> the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses,†reads a

> statement that has been added to the agency’s Web site.

“Pregnant women

> and persons who may have a health condition that makes them more

> sensitive to mercury exposure, including individuals with existing

high

> levels of mercury bioburden, should not avoid seeking dental care, but

> should discuss options with their health practitioner.â€

> The warning was one of the conditions that the FDA agreed to in

> settling a lawsuit filed by several consumer health groups.

> “Gone, gone, gone are all of FDA’s claims that no science

exists that

> amalgam is unsafe,†said Brown, a lawyer for Consumers for

> Dental Choice, one of the plaintiffs.

> “It’s a watershed moment,†said Bender of the Mercury

Policy

> Project, another plaintiff.

> Mercury is a well-known neurotoxin that can cause cognitive and

> developmental problems, especially in fetuses and children. It can

also

> cause brain and kidney damage in adults.

> So-called dental amalgams, or fillings made with a mix of mercury and

> other metals, have been used since the 1800s. Although it is known

that

> small amounts of mercury are vaporized (and can be inhaled) when the

> fillings are used to chew food, and though Canada, France and Sweden

> have all placed restrictions on the use of mercury fillings, the FDA

> has always insisted that amalgams are safe.

>

>

> Dental amalgams are considered medical devices, regulated by the FDA.

> Even the FDA’s new warning stops short of admitting that dental

> amalgams are dangerous for the general population. Instead, it focuses

> on the same population that has already been warned to limit mercury

> exposure by consuming less seafood: children and pregnant women. The

> FDA says it does not recommend that those who already have mercury

> fillings get them removed.

> Millions of people have received amalgam fillings, although their

> popularity has dropped off in recent years. Currently, only 30 percent

> of dental fillings contain mercury - the rest are tooth-colored resin

> composites made from glass, cement and porcelain. These alternative

> fillings are more expensive and less durable than amalgam, however.

> In 2002, the FDA began a regulatory review of amalgam that was

expected

> to be complete within a few years. In 2006, with the review still

> incomplete, an independent FDA advisory panel of doctors and dentists

> rejected the agency’s position that there is no reason for concern

> about the use of amalgam. While the panel agreed that the majority of

> people receiving such fillings would not be harmed, panel members

> expressed concern for the health of certain sensitive populations,

> including children under the age of six.

> The panel recommended that the FDA conduct further studies on the

risks

> to children from dental amalgam, and that it consider a policy of

> informed consent for children and pregnant: that is, warning those

> groups of the risks associated with the fillings before installing

> them.

> Part of the lawsuit centered on the FDA’s failure to respond to

these

> recommendations in a timely fashion.

> “This is your classic failure to act,†federal judge Ellen Segal

> Huvelle told the agency.

> As part of the lawsuit settlement, the FDA must reach a final decision

> on the regulation of amalgam by July 28, 2009.

> “This court settlement signals the death knell for mercury

fillings,â€

> Brown predicted.

> But J.P. Securities analyst Ipsita Smolinski disagreed, saying

> that the FDA is unlikely to ban amalgam entirely

> “We do believe that the agency will ask for the label to indicate

that

> mercury is an ingredient in the filling, and that special populations

> should be exempt from such fillings, such as: nursing women, pregnant

> women, young children, and immunocompromised individuals,†Smolinski

> said.=

>

>

> epiousian = the expression of agape

>

> quite a bit more than enough

>

>

> **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and

> favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

>

(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

>

Darlene,The fact is, mercury is one of the most toxic metals on this planet. NO amount is safe. I was poisoned by my fillings which were all the post 1980s mix. I really wonder if they were truly " safer " than the old mix.

My insurance only covered mercury, so that's all that was installed in my mouth: regardless of surface.The dentist that removed my fillings took one look and said " yeah,

they're worn out " . Worn out? Cracked around the edges because they

shrank is considered " worn out " ?? They shrink because mercury leaks,

period!Now I have a mixture of composites and ceramics - there was no " need " for mercury in my molars, despite being deep (had to get the old ones drilled out) and pressure-bearing. " Natural-predisposition " to react to mercury? That is BS if I've ever heard it. Do you also believe people have " natural-predispositions " to reacting to poison? There is more mercury in fillings than ANYONE's body can eliminate. The only varying factors are *how fast it leaks* and how much you weigh. If you drink lots of hot fluids, it'll leak faster. If you grind or grit your teeth or chew harder foods, it'll leak faster. The lighter you are the less mercury you need to leak before it effects you.

-Lana " There is nothing more useful than sun and salt. " - Latin proverb

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:32 AM, djaro828 <djaro828@...> wrote:

I've worked in the dental field, and the mercury used in fillings now

is a very minute amount compared to what they used to use. I have

several mercury fillings which used the old 1970s mix.

I do not believe that this has affected either of my two boys - one

who is mildly autistic (but, I believe due to different reasons) and

one who is so far normal.

Not all fillings require the mercury fillings. These are generally

used in molars where you need a more secure and durable surface and

where the decay is deep. Most other fillings placed in the mouth are a

calcium-based material.

The effects of mercury may still exist from previous amounts used, but

the dental industry has come a long way and I don't believe it is much

of an issue. But, you notice the effect of mercury isn't predicated on

the fact of mercury being present in the fillings, but on the mother's

particular natural predisposition to react to the mercury in the fillings.

Darlene

It is true that there is less mercury in amalgam fillings but the mercury content is still about 50%, hard from minute. This is from the EPA's website. Also, what kind of fillings have calcium? I've never heard of that?Dec 5, 2008 05:05:47 PM, Autism and Aspergers Treatment wrote:

I've worked in the dental field, and the mercury used in fillings nowis a very minute amount compared to what they used to use. I haveseveral mercury fillings which used the old 1970s mix.I do not believe that this has affected either of my two boys - onewho is mildly autistic (but, I believe due to different reasons) andone who is so far normal.Not all fillings require the mercury fillings. These are generallyused in molars where you need a more secure and durable surface andwhere the decay is deep. Most other fillings placed in the mouth are acalcium-based material.The effects of mercury may still exist from previous amounts used, butthe dental industry has come a long way and I don't believe it is muchof an issue. But, you notice the effect of mercury isn't predicated onthe fact of mercury being present in the fillings, but on the mother'sparticular natural predisposition to react to the mercury in the fillings.Darlene>> FDA Reluctantly Admits Mercury Fillings Have Neurotoxic Effects on > Children> > “Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxiceffects on > the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses,†reads a > statement that has been added to the agency’s Web site. “Pregnant women > and persons who may have a health condition that makes them more > sensitive to mercury exposure, including individuals with existinghigh > levels of mercury bioburden, should not avoid seeking dental care, but > should discuss options with their health practitioner.â€Â> The warning was one of the conditions that the FDA agreed to in > settling a lawsuit filed by several consumer health groups.> “Gone, gone, gone are all of FDA’s claims that no scienceexists that > amalgam is unsafe,†said Brown, a lawyer for Consumers for > Dental Choice, one of the plaintiffs.> “It’s a watershed moment,†said Bender of the MercuryPolicy > Project, another plaintiff.> Mercury is a well-known neurotoxin that can cause cognitive and > developmental problems, especially in fetuses and children. It canalso > cause brain and kidney damage in adults.> So-called dental amalgams, or fillings made with a mix of mercury and > other metals, have been used since the 1800s. Although it is knownthat > small amounts of mercury are vaporized (and can be inhaled) when the > fillings are used to chew food, and though Canada, France and Sweden > have all placed restrictions on the use of mercury fillings, the FDA > has always insisted that amalgams are safe.> > > Dental amalgams are considered medical devices, regulated by the FDA.> Even the FDA’s new warning stops short of admitting that dental > amalgams are dangerous for the general population. Instead, it focuses > on the same population that has already been warned to limit mercury > exposure by consuming less seafood: children and pregnant women. The > FDA says it does not recommend that those who already have mercury > fillings get them removed.> Millions of people have received amalgam fillings, although their > popularity has dropped off in recent years. Currently, only 30 percent > of dental fillings contain mercury - the rest are tooth-colored resin > composites made from glass, cement and porcelain. These alternative > fillings are more expensive and less durable than amalgam, however.> In 2002, the FDA began a regulatory review of amalgam that wasexpected > to be complete within a few years. In 2006, with the review still > incomplete, an independent FDA advisory panel of doctors and dentists > rejected the agency’s position that there is no reason for concern > about the use of amalgam. While the panel agreed that the majority of > people receiving such fillings would not be harmed, panel members > expressed concern for the health of certain sensitive populations, > including children under the age of six.> The panel recommended that the FDA conduct further studies on therisks > to children from dental amalgam, and that it consider a policy of > informed consent for children and pregnant: that is, warning those > groups of the risks associated with the fillings before installing > them.> Part of the lawsuit centered on the FDA’s failure to respond tothese > recommendations in a timely fashion.> “This is your classic failure to act,†federal judge Ellen Segal > Huvelle told the agency.> As part of the lawsuit settlement, the FDA must reach a final decision > on the regulation of amalgam by July 28, 2009.> “This court settlement signals the death knell for mercuryfillings,†> Brown predicted.> But J.P. Securities analyst Ipsita Smolinski disagreed, saying > that the FDA is unlikely to ban amalgam entirely> “We do believe that the agency will ask for the label to indicatethat > mercury is an ingredient in the filling, and that special populations > should be exempt from such fillings, such as: nursing women, pregnant > women, young children, and immunocompromised individuals,†Smolinski > said.=> > > epiousian = the expression of agape> > quite a bit more than enough> > > **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and > favorite sites in one place. Try it now. >(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)>

It is true that there is less mercury in amalgam fillings but the mercury content is still about 50%, hard from minute. This is from the EPA's website. Also, what kind of fillings have calcium? I've never heard of that?Dec 5, 2008 05:05:47 PM, Autism and Aspergers Treatment wrote:

I've worked in the dental field, and the mercury used in fillings nowis a very minute amount compared to what they used to use. I haveseveral mercury fillings which used the old 1970s mix.I do not believe that this has affected either of my two boys - onewho is mildly autistic (but, I believe due to different reasons) andone who is so far normal.Not all fillings require the mercury fillings. These are generallyused in molars where you need a more secure and durable surface andwhere the decay is deep. Most other fillings placed in the mouth are acalcium-based material.The effects of mercury may still exist from previous amounts used, butthe dental industry has come a long way and I don't believe it is muchof an issue. But, you notice the effect of mercury isn't predicated onthe fact of mercury being present in the fillings, but on the mother'sparticular natural predisposition to react to the mercury in the fillings.Darlene>> FDA Reluctantly Admits Mercury Fillings Have Neurotoxic Effects on > Children> > “Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxiceffects on > the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses,†reads a > statement that has been added to the agency’s Web site. “Pregnant women > and persons who may have a health condition that makes them more > sensitive to mercury exposure, including individuals with existinghigh > levels of mercury bioburden, should not avoid seeking dental care, but > should discuss options with their health practitioner.â€Â> The warning was one of the conditions that the FDA agreed to in > settling a lawsuit filed by several consumer health groups.> “Gone, gone, gone are all of FDA’s claims that no scienceexists that > amalgam is unsafe,†said Brown, a lawyer for Consumers for > Dental Choice, one of the plaintiffs.> “It’s a watershed moment,†said Bender of the MercuryPolicy > Project, another plaintiff.> Mercury is a well-known neurotoxin that can cause cognitive and > developmental problems, especially in fetuses and children. It canalso > cause brain and kidney damage in adults.> So-called dental amalgams, or fillings made with a mix of mercury and > other metals, have been used since the 1800s. Although it is knownthat > small amounts of mercury are vaporized (and can be inhaled) when the > fillings are used to chew food, and though Canada, France and Sweden > have all placed restrictions on the use of mercury fillings, the FDA > has always insisted that amalgams are safe.> > > Dental amalgams are considered medical devices, regulated by the FDA.> Even the FDA’s new warning stops short of admitting that dental > amalgams are dangerous for the general population. Instead, it focuses > on the same population that has already been warned to limit mercury > exposure by consuming less seafood: children and pregnant women. The > FDA says it does not recommend that those who already have mercury > fillings get them removed.> Millions of people have received amalgam fillings, although their > popularity has dropped off in recent years. Currently, only 30 percent > of dental fillings contain mercury - the rest are tooth-colored resin > composites made from glass, cement and porcelain. These alternative > fillings are more expensive and less durable than amalgam, however.> In 2002, the FDA began a regulatory review of amalgam that wasexpected > to be complete within a few years. In 2006, with the review still > incomplete, an independent FDA advisory panel of doctors and dentists > rejected the agency’s position that there is no reason for concern > about the use of amalgam. While the panel agreed that the majority of > people receiving such fillings would not be harmed, panel members > expressed concern for the health of certain sensitive populations, > including children under the age of six.> The panel recommended that the FDA conduct further studies on therisks > to children from dental amalgam, and that it consider a policy of > informed consent for children and pregnant: that is, warning those > groups of the risks associated with the fillings before installing > them.> Part of the lawsuit centered on the FDA’s failure to respond tothese > recommendations in a timely fashion.> “This is your classic failure to act,†federal judge Ellen Segal > Huvelle told the agency.> As part of the lawsuit settlement, the FDA must reach a final decision > on the regulation of amalgam by July 28, 2009.> “This court settlement signals the death knell for mercuryfillings,†> Brown predicted.> But J.P. Securities analyst Ipsita Smolinski disagreed, saying > that the FDA is unlikely to ban amalgam entirely> “We do believe that the agency will ask for the label to indicatethat > mercury is an ingredient in the filling, and that special populations > should be exempt from such fillings, such as: nursing women, pregnant > women, young children, and immunocompromised individuals,†Smolinski > said.=> > > epiousian = the expression of agape> > quite a bit more than enough> > > **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and > favorite sites in one place. Try it now. >(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)>

• 2 weeks later...

Well, perhaps it's a difference between the Canadian and American

methods, but my dentist explained to me, when I asked, that it all has

to do with how the amalgam mixture is mixed.

Amalgams do wear away, but it's not from mercury leaking, it's from

normal or perhaps extra wear and use of the teeth. After the same

amount of wear and tear, your composite fillings may also see the same

wear. Composite fillings have also seen improvements over the last

decade and are now have just as much longevity as the amalgams.

Obviously there is a risk if methods are not carried out properly.

Like there are doctors who don't do their job well, there are dentists.

There are hundreds of thousands of dental patients with amalgam

fillings with no ill-effects at all. So you can't lump everyone in the

same category.

Dar

>

> > I've worked in the dental field, and the mercury used in

fillings now

> > is a very minute amount compared to what they used to use. I have

> > several mercury fillings which used the old 1970s mix.

> >

> > I do not believe that this has affected either of my two boys - one

> > who is mildly autistic (but, I believe due to different reasons) and

> > one who is so far normal.

> >

> > Not all fillings require the mercury fillings. These are generally

> > used in molars where you need a more secure and durable surface and

> > where the decay is deep. Most other fillings placed in the mouth are a

> > calcium-based material.

> >

> > The effects of mercury may still exist from previous amounts used, but

> > the dental industry has come a long way and I don't believe it is much

> > of an issue. But, you notice the effect of mercury isn't predicated on

> > the fact of mercury being present in the fillings, but on the mother's

> > particular natural predisposition to react to the mercury in the

fillings.

> >

> > Darlene

> >

>

Just my two cents worth!

It doesn't take much mercury to do a lot of damage! Plus with

fillings, it is the cumulative, day-in- day-out exposure that lasts

for years.

Also, even if mercury isn't the causative factor in a child

developing autism, it makes everything worse. For example, it

actually stimulates the growth or candida.

I am so glad the truth is finally coming through. How could the FDA

break the news any other way? Can you imagine the outrage that would

sweep the country if they came out admitted the damage to millions of

people?

> >

> > FDA Reluctantly Admits Mercury Fillings Have Neurotoxic Effects

on

> > Children

> >

> > “Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic

> effects on

> > the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses,†reads

a

> > statement that has been added to the agency’s Web site.

> “Pregnant women

> > and persons who may have a health condition that makes them more

> > sensitive to mercury exposure, including individuals with existing

> high

> > levels of mercury bioburden, should not avoid seeking dental

care, but

> > should discuss options with their health practitioner.â€

> > The warning was one of the conditions that the FDA agreed to in

> > settling a lawsuit filed by several consumer health groups.

> > “Gone, gone, gone are all of FDA’s claims that no science

> exists that

> > amalgam is unsafe,†said Brown, a lawyer for Consumers

for

> > Dental Choice, one of the plaintiffs.

> > “It’s a watershed moment,†said Bender of the

Mercury

> Policy

> > Project, another plaintiff.

> > Mercury is a well-known neurotoxin that can cause cognitive and

> > developmental problems, especially in fetuses and children. It can

> also

> > cause brain and kidney damage in adults.

> > So-called dental amalgams, or fillings made with a mix of

mercury and

> > other metals, have been used since the 1800s. Although it is

known

> that

> > small amounts of mercury are vaporized (and can be inhaled) when

the

> > fillings are used to chew food, and though Canada, France and

Sweden

> > have all placed restrictions on the use of mercury fillings, the

FDA

> > has always insisted that amalgams are safe.

> >

> >

> > Dental amalgams are considered medical devices, regulated by the

FDA.

> > Even the FDA’s new warning stops short of admitting that

dental

> > amalgams are dangerous for the general population. Instead, it

focuses

> > on the same population that has already been warned to limit

mercury

> > exposure by consuming less seafood: children and pregnant women.

The

> > FDA says it does not recommend that those who already have

mercury

> > fillings get them removed.

> > Millions of people have received amalgam fillings, although

their

> > popularity has dropped off in recent years. Currently, only 30

percent

> > of dental fillings contain mercury - the rest are tooth-colored

resin

> > composites made from glass, cement and porcelain. These

alternative

> > fillings are more expensive and less durable than amalgam,

however.

> > In 2002, the FDA began a regulatory review of amalgam that was

> expected

> > to be complete within a few years. In 2006, with the review

still

> > incomplete, an independent FDA advisory panel of doctors and

dentists

> > rejected the agency’s position that there is no reason for

concern

> > about the use of amalgam. While the panel agreed that the

majority of

> > people receiving such fillings would not be harmed, panel

members

> > expressed concern for the health of certain sensitive

populations,

> > including children under the age of six.

> > The panel recommended that the FDA conduct further studies on the

> risks

> > to children from dental amalgam, and that it consider a policy

of

> > informed consent for children and pregnant: that is, warning

those

> > groups of the risks associated with the fillings before

installing

> > them.

> > Part of the lawsuit centered on the FDA’s failure to respond to

> these

> > recommendations in a timely fashion.

> > “This is your classic failure to act,†federal judge Ellen

Segal

> > Huvelle told the agency.

> > As part of the lawsuit settlement, the FDA must reach a final

decision

> > on the regulation of amalgam by July 28, 2009.

> > “This court settlement signals the death knell for mercury

> fillings,â€

> > Brown predicted.

> > But J.P. Securities analyst Ipsita Smolinski disagreed,

saying

> > that the FDA is unlikely to ban amalgam entirely

> > “We do believe that the agency will ask for the label to

indicate

> that

> > mercury is an ingredient in the filling, and that special

populations

> > should be exempt from such fillings, such as: nursing women,

pregnant

> > women, young children, and immunocompromised individuals,â€

Smolinski

> > said.=

> >

> >

> > epiousian = the expression of agape

> >

> > quite a bit more than enough

> >

> >

> > **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email,

and

> > favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

> >

> (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-

dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

> >

>

• 2 weeks later...

That's probably not so Dar. Look at all the epidemics of illnesses we have, many of them, like cancer and autism, are immune system problems and mercury, a component of amalgams, released every time you chew -- mercury, heavy metals, compromise the immune system.

And have your dentist check what's in the composites; better than mercury, and not all kinds are pure.

Francine

In a message dated 12/31/2008 11:07:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, djaro828@... writes:

There are hundreds of thousands of dental patients with amalgamfillings with no ill-effects at all. So you can't lump everyone in thesame category.Dar

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.