RemedySpot.com

Oxycontin

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi ,

I didn't have this issue, but I know that Oxycontin is one of those meds that you need to get off gradually, to avoid side effects. It should not be done all at once. If you are taking a capsule, I think you'll need to get a prescription for a smaller dosage and/or take one less pill for a few days before decreasing further. Also, never take only part of a capsule. In any event, I think you should get instructions from your doc how to get off this med. It can be done without problems, but it needs to be done properly.

Bonnie

[ ] Oxycontin

Has anybody experinced withdrawal symptoms from taking Oxycontin?

Guest guest

What Bonnie says is true. I'm on OxyContin myself. I started at 40 mg and after a month dropped to 20 mg. Now I am taking 10 mg twice a day and in a few weeks will try 10 mg once a day. Then it is safe for me to stop taking it according to my doctor but I've had to wean off of it slowly.

Peggy

[ ] Oxycontin

Has anybody experinced withdrawal symptoms from taking Oxycontin?

Guest guest

Bonnie is right about warning you about never reducing your dosage

unless you are under a doctors supervision and also NEVER cut an

extended release tablet. This can release all the medication that is

intended for a 12 or 24 hour period at once and can have deadly

consequences, as I understand it. It is also why the junkies like that

formulations so much.

When you feel you are ready to step down talk it over with whoever has

prescribed for you and they will give you appropriate instructions. I

believe it is possible to have some effects as you go to lower dosages

but they shouldn't be overwhelming.

I am glad to hear you are beginning to feel good enough to consider

going the other way.

Good healing,

Cam

Guest guest

I just got off the phone with the doctor's nurse and we talked about weaning. I am in part embarrassed to tell you the following I was running out of the Oxycontin extended release and call doctor to ask them to mail me a prescription I was taking 60mg twice daily. Well as the days went by nothing showed up in the mail when Saturday came and still nothing I was on my second day with out medication I started feeling withdrawal like chills, loose bowels, nausea. By Sunday it was unbearable so I went to a walk-in clinic and they basically told me they could do nothing for me. Called the on call doctor for Dr L. and they sent me some vicodin but that still did not help. When Monday came I felt like I was dying so Me and Hubby decided we will just go up to Dr L. (about 1 and half hours away) to get new prescriptions because still nothing had come in the mail. We stopped for gas I went to bathroom cause I thought I was going to get sick on the way

out I passed out from weakness ( I had not eating or really drank anything since Friday). Well hubby was right outside the door ( I was so lucky) he caught me behind him was the rescue squad (lucky again) they took me to local hospital. After explaining my saga they gave me nausea medication (which helped a little) and dilante for pain. I felt like death was upon me................I had about 5 blankets on top of me. Well after staying at hospital for about 6 hours they told me I was probably having withdrawals symptoms they can send me home with nausea medication and Vicodin but nothing stonger......So home I went hoping again the prescription would be in mail and the plan of trying to go up to Dr L's Tuesday morning. Well Monday night about 4 in the morning ( so really it was Tuesday) I woke up vomiting which is hard to do when you can't bend, the pain was unbearable in my back from vomiting. I had chills and more loose

bowels. I begged hubby to take me to hospital so off we went again. I felt and looked like death. So again they gave me the same treatment but stronger medication. In the mean time I had a neighbor go up to Dr L's and get me prescription. This time at ER they gave me a prescription for oxycontin to last for 2 days and this time they gave me a medicaton that is used for withdrawals clonezapam something like that it worked instantly. ER doctor explained that my body is craving narcotics and until I get it back up I will have withdrawl symptoms. Well after another long day at ER we went home Tuesday. I had my new prescription and started taking them right away, the ones in the mail never showed up. Talked to my doctor's nurse( Jill) and we will start the weaning process next week I can't wait. I don't really have any pain in my back all my pain is in my left leg around knee area. But anyways she said that some people our extremely

sensitive to weaning process of Oxycontin and I guess I am one of them. Going from 60mg to nothing may not seem as much but wow does it ever I swear I felt like death, Jill said that it feels like that but to remeber its not life threatening and that it will go away within 48hrs. but hopeful I will not experience that when I start the weaning process next week. She will not start it now even though I want to get off this medication so bad. So I am currently taking 80mg twice a day only have 40mg tablets. and taking breakthrough only when I need it and like I said its only really for my knee which I am thinking my have nothing at all do with my back surgery? So that is my saga cammaltby <cammaltby@...> wrote: ,Bonnie is right about warning you about never reducing your dosage unless you are under a doctors supervision and also NEVER cut an extended release tablet. This can release all the medication that is intended for a 12 or 24 hour period at once and can have deadly consequences, as I understand it. It is also why the junkies like that formulations so much. When you feel you are ready to step down talk it over with whoever has prescribed for you and they will give you appropriate instructions. I believe it is possible to have some effects as you go to lower dosages but they shouldn't be overwhelming.I am glad to hear you are beginning to feel good enough to consider

going the other way.Good healing,Cam

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

HI ,

Well, I'm sorry you had to experience this, but therein lies the reason why one should never stop oxycontin cold turkey. It will be a piece of cake to decrease it gradually, as the doctor suggests.

Bonnie

Re: [ ] Re: Oxycontin

I just got off the phone with the doctor's nurse and we talked about weaning.

I am in part embarrassed to tell you the following

I was running out of the Oxycontin extended release and call doctor to ask them to mail me a prescription I was taking 60mg twice daily. Well as the days went by nothing showed up in the mail when Saturday came and still nothing I was on my second day with out medication I started feeling withdrawal like chills, loose bowels, nausea. By Sunday it was unbearable so I went to a walk-in clinic and they basically told me they could do nothing for me. Called the on call doctor for Dr L. and they sent me some vicodin but that still did not help. When Monday came I felt like I was dying so Me and Hubby decided we will just go up to Dr L. (about 1 and half hours away) to get new prescriptions because still nothing had come in the mail. We stopped for gas I went to bathroom cause I thought I was going to get sick on the way out I passed out from weakness ( I had not eating or really drank anything since Friday). Well hubby was right outside the door ( I was so lucky) he caught me behind him was the rescue squad (lucky again) they took me to local hospital.

After explaining my saga they gave me nausea medication (which helped a little) and dilante for pain. I felt like death was upon me................I had about 5 blankets on top of me.

Well after staying at hospital for about 6 hours they told me I was probably having withdrawals symptoms they can send me home with nausea medication and Vicodin but nothing stonger......So home I went hoping again the prescription would be in mail and the plan of trying to go up to Dr L's Tuesday morning.

Well Monday night about 4 in the morning ( so really it was Tuesday) I woke up vomiting which is hard to do when you can't bend, the pain was unbearable in my back from vomiting.

I had chills and more loose bowels. I begged hubby to take me to hospital so off we went again. I felt and looked like death. So again they gave me the same treatment but stronger medication. In the mean time I had a neighbor go up to Dr L's and get me prescription.

This time at ER they gave me a prescription for oxycontin to last for 2 days and this time they gave me a medicaton that is used for withdrawals clonezapam something like that it worked instantly. ER doctor explained that my body is craving narcotics and until I get it back up I will have withdrawl symptoms.

Well after another long day at ER we went home Tuesday.

I had my new prescription and started taking them right away, the ones in the mail never showed up. Talked to my doctor's nurse( Jill) and we will start the weaning process next week I can't wait. I don't really have any pain in my back all my pain is in my left leg around knee area. But anyways she said that some people our extremely sensitive to weaning process of Oxycontin and I guess I am one of them. Going from 60mg to nothing may not seem as much but wow does it ever I swear I felt like death, Jill said that it feels like that but to remeber its not life threatening and that it will go away within 48hrs. but hopeful I will not experience that when I start the weaning process next week. She will not start it now even though I want to get off this medication so bad. So I am currently taking 80mg twice a day only have 40mg tablets. and taking breakthrough only when I need it and like I said its only really for my knee which I am thinking my have nothing at all do with my back surgery?

So that is my saga

cammaltby <cammaltby > wrote:

,Bonnie is right about warning you about never reducing your dosage unless you are under a doctors supervision and also NEVER cut an extended release tablet. This can release all the medication that is intended for a 12 or 24 hour period at once and can have deadly consequences, as I understand it. It is also why the junkies like that formulations so much. When you feel you are ready to step down talk it over with whoever has prescribed for you and they will give you appropriate instructions. I believe it is possible to have some effects as you go to lower dosages but they shouldn't be overwhelming.I am glad to hear you are beginning to feel good enough to consider going the other way.Good healing,Cam

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

Sorry you had such a bad experience. While I also tried to start

ahead to get a refill, the problem I had was that local pharmacies

don't stock Oxcycontin and have to order it (one week). I would have

run out also so instead I went to the hospital pharmacy where we

initially had it filled. Even with the prescription they double

checked with the doctor and the insurance company.

The weaning isn't too bad following the doctor's instructions. Take

it slow. As others have said - never crush Oxcycontin. This valuable

medicine can easily be abused. I thought it made a world of

difference reducing the pain cycle over the four hour meds years ago.

It's hard when you are on the heavy meds to get all this stright. (I

kept a log of what I had taken being worried I'd take too much. Also I

had two scripts, one for 10 mg and one for 20 mg as I recall and had

to take the right amount of each for dosing. Try that when you are

out of it! I know some of you have!) For those of you who may be on it

in the future, ask someone to track the timing for refills (count

pills) and maybe give yourself about a two week lead time if you can.

Annette in Arlington

Guest guest

Annette, that was good information you provided, I am going to get a log and keep track so hopefully I will not feel the withdraw symptoms. Question when did you get off the pain medication? I am going to post this question too aebaker716 <aebaker716@...> wrote: , Sorry you had such a bad experience. While I also tried to startahead to get a refill, the problem I had was that local pharmaciesdon't stock Oxcycontin and have to order it (one

week). I would haverun out also so instead I went to the hospital pharmacy where weinitially had it filled. Even with the prescription they doublechecked with the doctor and the insurance company. The weaning isn't too bad following the doctor's instructions. Takeit slow. As others have said - never crush Oxcycontin. This valuablemedicine can easily be abused. I thought it made a world ofdifference reducing the pain cycle over the four hour meds years ago.It's hard when you are on the heavy meds to get all this stright. (Ikept a log of what I had taken being worried I'd take too much. Also Ihad two scripts, one for 10 mg and one for 20 mg as I recall and hadto take the right amount of each for dosing. Try that when you areout of it! I know some of you have!) For those of you who may be on itin the future, ask someone to track the timing for refills (countpills) and maybe give yourself about a two week lead

time if you can. Annette in Arlington

Get the toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

I have the print out but it doesn't mention eye pressure. It does mention increased brain pressure, etc. Thanks for thinking of looking there. I'll make a copy of it and take it to the optometrist on Monday.

Peggy

[ ] Oxycontin

Peggy, this is what I found on a health website that I use: "OxyContin should be used with caution by people with head injuries, brain tumors, and other conditions that increase pressure on the brain"I couldn't find anything mentioned about increasing pressure in the eyes (glaucoma). Do you have the handout that the pharmacy gave you when you got the pills? Those list all the side effects, etc. I don't have my handouts any more. I am no longer on the Oxycontin. I still have some pills, but hopefully will never have to take them again. I asked my pain doc for Percocet, and he said "it's the same as Oxy..." I said I know Percocet has Oxy in it, but it doesn't have as much. I told him I plan on using it only once a day if necessary. (When that bolt pain gets too much!)Carol V.

• 11 months later...
Guest guest

I have taken 5 mg vicodin for years. I started needing 10mg. Dr. said

that that was too much. He then prescribed oxy 20 mg. I found it

hasn't been effective in pain relief. He said to try 40 mg. I found

that to be too much. I had minimal increase in pain relief but felt it

in my breathing and head. Not enough to say to be concerned but enough

to where I won't take it. Anyone else have a similar situation and

what worked for you? Any input would be appreciated.

-Eileen

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

I went from Oxy to the less evasive Vicadin first. C

>

> Hi again everyone,

> Because once again, I cannot bear to go go back and take the time (nor do I

have the ability to sit that long)to " investigate " , can you please all share

with me once again your procedures for weaning off Oxycontin. I am currently on

30mg 3Xdaily. I started in March on 20mg, then it was somewhere along the line

upped to the 30. Natually I aill seek the advice of Dr. Glazer when I see him

next week, but in the meantime would once again like to review how all of you

managed. I want to do this as safely and as healthy as possible to avoice any

withdrawl if possible - I feel like I've been through enough, I have no desire

to suffer withdrawls if I can avoid it. If you chose the " cold turkey " method,

please don't respond as that is NOT the route I want to do, just respond if you

followed your physicians advice and it went smoothly! Thanks and if you'd rather

respond privately, that's ok too.

> Delaney (RI)

>

Guest guest

I haven't been online much these past days due to my Daughter graduating, and with all the family in and cleaning and preparing, I plain haven't been here.

Please know many of us are just plain busy this time of year with school ending, and no one means to slight you.

As to going off Oxy, I have little to say on that matter, as I was on Fentanyl patches, and stepped down to Vicodin, so my 411 on this would be limited. Stepping down on meds should be overseen by your doc, or whoever is your pain mgt doc. Moving downward is good if you don't allow your pain to get out of control and thus limiting your forward progress while recovering. Do you feel overmedicated? Or is it side affects that makes you want off? How is your doc's office about contacting them with questions? Is there an assistant you can talk with?

Of late there has been much discussion about stepping down on meds, and maybe too soon, so please be careful. I hated meds, but looked at them as a necessary evil while in the early stages of healing. Believe fentanlyl was no fun, neausea and vomitting, and resulting very fast weight loss, and I was really blocked up bowel wise. I had to go off it, but it was a step down process, till I went on vicodin, and then I was off that fairly soon.

Have patience, this stage will be over soon, but do consult your doc's office before you do anything, or wait till your appointment, as we aren't docs, and it's best left to your doc.

Colorado Springs

[ ] Oxycontin

Hi again everyone,Because once again, I cannot bear to go go back and take the time (nor do I have the ability to sit that long)to "investigate", can you please all share with me once again your procedures for weaning off Oxycontin. I am currently on 30mg 3Xdaily. I started in March on 20mg, then it was somewhere along the line upped to the 30. Natually I aill seek the advice of Dr. Glazer when I see him next week, but in the meantime would once again like to review how all of you managed. I want to do this as safely and as healthy as possible to avoice any withdrawl if possible - I feel like I've been through enough, I have no desire to suffer withdrawls if I can avoid it. If you chose the "cold turkey" method, please don't respond as that is NOT the route I want to do, just respond if you followed your physicians advice and it went smoothly! Thanks and if you'd rather respond privately, that's ok too. Delaney (RI)

Guest guest

Thanks . I truly do understand and agree with all you've said. I dont plan

on making any moves before seeing Dr. Glazer next week, I am merely interested

in others experiences. Congrats on your daughters graduation!

D

>

> ,

>

> I haven't been online much these past days due to my Daughter graduating, and

with all the family in and cleaning and preparing, I plain haven't been here.

>

> Please know many of us are just plain busy this time of year with school

ending, and no one means to slight you.

>

> As to going off Oxy, I have little to say on that matter, as I was on Fentanyl

patches, and stepped down to Vicodin, so my 411 on this would be limited.

Stepping down on meds should be overseen by your doc, or whoever is your pain

mgt doc. Moving downward is good if you don't allow your pain to get out of

control and thus limiting your forward progress while recovering. Do you feel

overmedicated? Or is it side affects that makes you want off? How is your doc's

office about contacting them with questions? Is there an assistant you can talk

with?

>

> Of late there has been much discussion about stepping down on meds, and maybe

too soon, so please be careful. I hated meds, but looked at them as a necessary

evil while in the early stages of healing. Believe fentanlyl was no fun, neausea

and vomitting, and resulting very fast weight loss, and I was really blocked up

bowel wise. I had to go off it, but it was a step down process, till I went on

vicodin, and then I was off that fairly soon.

>

> Have patience, this stage will be over soon, but do consult your doc's office

before you do anything, or wait till your appointment, as we aren't docs, and

it's best left to your doc.

>

>

> Colorado Springs

> [ ] Oxycontin

>

>

>

> Hi again everyone,

to suffer withdrawls if I can avoid it. If you chose the " cold turkey " method,

followed your physicians advice and it went smoothly! Thanks and if you'd rather

> Delaney (RI)

>

Guest guest

Hi -

I am 7 weeks post-op and although my doctor has me on hydromorph contin which

I understand is continuous release morphine, I can tell you how I have been set

up by Dr. to wean down. I started with 3 pills a day with 12 mg. which

equals 36 mg. a day. He give me 6 mg. pills and 3 mg. pills and he wants me to

wean down by 3 mg. a week. This week I'm on 30 mg. a day. It will take me to

the beginning of August to be off the hydromorph contin but I don't have any

problems by dropping 3 mg. a week and that is what is important to me. I forgot

to mention he also gave me hydromorph 2 mg. for breakthrough pain. I can take 2

at a time if necessary. Just thought I would give you a scenario of how I'm

weaning down. Hope your doing well and behaving! Elaine

>

> Hi again everyone,

> Delaney (RI)

>

Guest guest

I was on 40 mg twice daily of OxyContin when I came home from the hospital. I

slowly weaned off. After a month I went 20 mg twice daily. Then after another

month I was on 10 mg twice daily. The following month I took 10 mg once daily.

At the end of 4 months I was off OxyContin. I didn't have any problems with

withdrawal. I can't believe it's been 3 years since my revision!

Peggy

- [ ] Re: Oxycontin

Sent: May 31, 2010 10:33 AM

Thank you Elaine. I'm with you - I don't care how long the process can take,

as long as I feel no withdrawl's. I'm petrified of that, I can be patient enough

to avoid that! I'm not familiar with the med you speak of, unless that is just

another name for Oxycontin? I am on 80 mg. of Oxy a day right now. I have my

first post-op appt this Thursday so I am looking forward to what he has to say.

Thanks again for responding, I appreciate it so much. D > > > > Hi

again everyone, > > Because once again, I cannot bear to go go back and take the

time (nor do I have the ability to sit that long)to " investigate " , can you

please all share with me once again your procedures for weaning off Oxycontin. I

am currently on 30mg 3Xdaily. I started in March on 20mg, then it was somewhere

along the line upped to the 30. Natually I aill seek the advice of Dr. Glazer

when I see him next week, but in the meantime would once again like to review

how all of you managed. I want to do this as safely and as healthy as possible

to avoice any withdrawl if possible - I feel like I've been through enough, I

have no de

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Guest guest

Hi Peggy!!

It's so good to hear from you! I know that you had been having problems, can I

ask how you are doing now? Thanks so much for the weaning process you used. I

did get the go ahead from Dr. Glazer today and I really like your process. Can I

ask how long were you on Oxycontin (we were on the same amount) before you

started to wean??

D

> > > > Hi

again everyone, > > Because once again, I cannot bear to go go back and take the

please all share with me once again your procedures for weaning off Oxycontin. I

have no de

> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

>

Guest guest

Peggy,

One more question, so after taking the 10mg daily for a month, then did you

one day just not take any, just like that? I want to make sure I really get what

your saying - you took one 10 mg daily for one full month, then just stopped??

Is that right?

D

> > > > Hi

have no de

> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

>

Guest guest

......you went all the way to Boston today and still have the strength to

post online... you are doing soooo well...so proud of you!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT

WORK AND POSITIVE ATITUDE... love you my friend...

> > > > Hi

have no de

> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks ! Not only did I do the two hour ride, But first had to meet with

the bone stimulator gal, then the brace guy (re-adjustment because I've lost 26

lbs. during this ordeal) then met with Dr. Glazer and his PA - THEN sat for

another 1/2 hour while my sister ran upstairs to radiology to get my x-rays on a

disc, then went and sat in a little sndwich restaurant in the lobby and had

lunch before then embarking on the 2 hour trip back home!! I am proud of myself

- it was a day to celebrate. I had a great nights sleep and feeling good. But no

worries - that was just a great day but now I'm back to much resting and taking

care of myself. I just got done painting my fingernails during a sit-up time and

even that made me happy!! As you well know, it's the little things right

now..............

D

> > > > Hi

have no de

> > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

I was on 40 mg twice daily for a month before I started to wean. I knew I didn't really need the Oxy because I could tell the surgery had resolved my issues. But at the same time I need I could just not stop cold turkey or quickly so I just took each bottle as directed and when it was time for a refill I would ask for the next lower dose.I am still having issues with the piriformis syndrome. I will start more cortisone injections next month when my insurance will cover them in full.Personally I am having a rough time. Hubby hasn't worked in over a year and we were in foreclosure. I got the mortgage company to agree to let us do a short sale so it will go on the market next week. I'll start having moving sales next weekend so I will busy lugging furniture and packing boxes. We will be renting a much smaller home on Harkers Island so I will be really close to the lighthouse. But the bedrooms are so small I think hubby and I will be going into separate rooms with smaller beds!I have worked 8-hour days at the post office all week and then go to my church for 4 hours each evening. I am whipped!Val, I'll try to pick up the Harkers Island accent before we meet again at the retreat next year! LOL. I will never forget that night!PeggySent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "valerie_delaney" <vad61@...>Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:27:42 -0000< >Subject: [ ] Re: Oxycontin Hi Peggy!!It's so good to hear from you! I know that you had been having problems, can I ask how you are doing now? Thanks so much for the weaning process you used. I did get the go ahead from Dr. Glazer today and I really like your process. Can I ask how long were you on Oxycontin (we were on the same amount) before you started to wean?? D > > > > Hi again everyone, > > Because once again, I cannot bear to go go back and take the time (nor do I have the ability to sit that long)to " investigate " , can you please all share with me once again your procedures for weaning off Oxycontin. I am currently on 30mg 3Xdaily. I started in March on 20mg, then it was somewhere along the line upped to the 30. Natually I aill seek the advice of Dr. Glazer when I see him next week, but in the meantime would once again like to review how all of you managed. I want to do this as safely and as healthy as possible to avoice any withdrawl if possible - I feel like I've been through enough, I have no de> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry>

Guest guest

That is correct, I think. I'll try to remember if I took just plain 5 mg oxycodone after that. I don't think I did but I know I had it on hand in case of withdrawal symptoms.PeggySent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "valerie_delaney" <vad61@...>Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:40:02 -0000< >Subject: [ ] Re: Oxycontin Peggy,One more question, so after taking the 10mg daily for a month, then did you one day just not take any, just like that? I want to make sure I really get what your saying - you took one 10 mg daily for one full month, then just stopped?? Is that right? D > > > > Hi again everyone, > > Because once again, I cannot bear to go go back and take the time (nor do I have the ability to sit that long)to " investigate " , can you please all share with me once again your procedures for weaning off Oxycontin. I am currently on 30mg 3Xdaily. I started in March on 20mg, then it was somewhere along the line upped to the 30. Natually I aill seek the advice of Dr. Glazer when I see him next week, but in the meantime would once again like to review how all of you managed. I want to do this as safely and as healthy as possible to avoice any withdrawl if possible - I feel like I've been through enough, I have no de> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry>

Guest guest

Neither will I Peggy! It still makes me laugh. Sounds like you are going through

a rough patch and I really hope it is resolved as easily and peacefully as

possible for you. As far as your physical state, I hope that gets better too but

it does sound like you are probably doing too much physically; but without your

husband workiing the money has to come from somewhere, right? I wish there were

an easy answer, but there isn't. Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my

weaning questions. Let us know how things progress.

D

> > > > Hi

have no de

> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

> >

>