RemedySpot.com

Re: Questions on supplements

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Vitamins are very complex, you can hear opposing stories on either side. Some people say they just give you expensive urine. Some people believe you can treat almost any ill with them. I know I'm not being much help, but I would just suggest that you try to learn what you can about them before taking too many. I think you could probably count on you dr to tell you not to take them (since he didn't prescribe them... :). The only thing I can tell you is to be careful not to take any vitamins with added iron. -dz-

debbie henning <giglebutt2002@...> wrote: Hello group,It has been awhile since I voiced my thought so here are a few comments and questions I have for the group and hoping to get a good response from anyone who knows of this subject about taking supplements for treating ailments or just a preventative.I too have hep C geno type 2 waiting for treatment any day now (Its taking forever) Ive always takens vitamins ever since I can remember. I believe they do help keep you healthy along with a good healthy diet. Ever since I was told about this virus I've taken supplements to help with the liver ( milk thistle to name a few) Well I was introduced to a product called OPC-3.It is a Isotonix.with gingerseed extract,red wine extract pine bark extract.bilberry extract and citrus extract bioflavonoids.25mg per herb plus 93mg of potassium also take a liver formula dietary supplement with a variety of supplements and antioxidants. My question to the group is do you think this is a waste of money or am I just hoping to get better quicker? I have been noticing some pain around the liver area more than ever before and I'm not sure if I should discontinue the supplements or keep on taking them. Any thought from anyone? I am concren and Im not sure the drs. will know what to tell me waiting for a response....GIGLEBUTT

Guest guest

Hi, Debbie,

If you're type 2, that's fortunate, since types 2 & 3 respond best to treatment (I have Type 1, the most common in the U.S.).

Well you asked for opinions so here's mine: I'm generally leery of herbal remedies. For example, a lot of people take St. 's Wort for depression, but I just read recently it can actually be harmful (I forget the specifics). A few year ago a supplement called DHEA was a hot item -- but they found it could do some dangerous things (sorry, again I can't recall the specifics).

Anecdotally, my wife has a co-worker who's always taking herbal remedies, tinctures and extracts. But she looks kind of sickly and I can't see that it's doing her any good.

On the other hand, I think you need to be prudent about orthodox pharmacology, too, and not believe that something is good for you just because your doctor prescribes it.

For myself I would only explore herbal remedies if I couldn't take the Peg-Intron for one reason or another.

I'll tell you something: whenever I've gone into a natural foods store and looked at herbal remedies, the bottle or package always states: "It is SAID to relieve...It has been used as..." In other words, they always use the passive voice, which seems to me that they're hedging their bets, because the alleged curative properties are not supported by clinical studies. Just be careful of the hype.

Kind regards,

[ ] Questions on supplements

Hello group,It has been awhile since I voiced my thought so here are a few comments and questions I have for the group and hoping to get a good response from anyone who knows of this subject about taking supplements for treating ailments or just a preventative.I too have hep C geno type 2 waiting for treatment any day now (Its taking forever) Ive always takens vitamins ever since I can remember. I believe they do help keep you healthy along with a good healthy diet. Ever since I was told about this virus I've taken supplements to help with the liver ( milk thistle to name a few) Well I was introduced to a product called OPC-3.It is a Isotonix.with gingerseed extract,red wine extract pine bark extract.bilberry extract and citrus extract bioflavonoids.25mg per herb plus 93mg of potassium also take a liver formula dietary supplement with a variety of supplements and antioxidants. My question to the group is do you think this is a waste of money or am I just hoping to get better quicker? I have been noticing some pain around the liver area more than ever before and I'm not sure if I should discontinue the supplements or keep on taking them. Any thought from anyone? I am concren and Im not sure the drs. will know what to tell me waiting for a response....GIGLEBUTT

Guest guest

Sound like good advice, . There are many herbal remedies which may be excellent and many people would prefer them to the harsh orthodox treatment we are on. There are some Chinese herbal remedies which have had some success dealing with hepatitis. You really have to do your homework, though. -dz- Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote:

Hi, Debbie,

If you're type 2, that's fortunate, since types 2 & 3 respond best to treatment (I have Type 1, the most common in the U.S.).

Well you asked for opinions so here's mine: I'm generally leery of herbal remedies. For example, a lot of people take St. 's Wort for depression, but I just read recently it can actually be harmful (I forget the specifics). A few year ago a supplement called DHEA was a hot item -- but they found it could do some dangerous things (sorry, again I can't recall the specifics).

Anecdotally, my wife has a co-worker who's always taking herbal remedies, tinctures and extracts. But she looks kind of sickly and I can't see that it's doing her any good.

On the other hand, I think you need to be prudent about orthodox pharmacology, too, and not believe that something is good for you just because your doctor prescribes it.

For myself I would only explore herbal remedies if I couldn't take the Peg-Intron for one reason or another.

I'll tell you something: whenever I've gone into a natural foods store and looked at herbal remedies, the bottle or package always states: "It is SAID to relieve...It has been used as..." In other words, they always use the passive voice, which seems to me that they're hedging their bets, because the alleged curative properties are not supported by clinical studies. Just be careful of the hype.

Kind regards,

Hello group,It has been awhile since I voiced my thought so here are a few comments and questions I have for the group and hoping to get a good response from anyone who knows of this subject about taking supplements for treating ailments or just a preventative.I too have hep C geno type 2 waiting for treatment any day now (Its taking forever) Ive always takens vitamins ever since I can remember. I believe they do help keep you healthy along with a good healthy diet. Ever since I was told about this virus I've taken supplements to help with the liver ( milk thistle to name a few) Well I was introduced to a product called OPC-3.It is a Isotonix.with gingerseed extract,red wine extract pine bark extract.bilberry extract and citrus extract bioflavonoids.25mg per herb plus 93mg of potassium also take a liver formula dietary supplement with a variety of supplements and antioxidants. My question to the group is do you think this is a waste of money or am I just hoping to get better quicker? I have been noticing some pain around the liver area more than ever before and I'm not sure if I should discontinue the supplements or keep on taking them. Any thought from anyone? I am concren and Im not sure the drs. will know what to tell me waiting for a response....GIGLEBUTT

Guest guest

Hey scott so you are not a believer thats cool, Do you rely on a healthy diet to give you all the right vitamins and such? Debbie Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote:

Hi, Debbie,

Kind regards,

Guest guest

Hi, Debbie,

Sorry if I sounded a bit fanatical. I take a multi-vitamin, Vitamin E and glucosamine (my wife swears by if for joint pain) everyday.

I would like to say I rely on a healthy diet, and I do eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm not a vegetarian, but my system can't take a lot of meat since I've started treatment. What does me in a chronic sweet tooth I've had ever since I quit drinking (and smoking, many years ago). Sometimes I'll go on a binge and eat a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's plus cookies, then feel disgusted with myself for such lack of self-control. At least it's not booze (I tell myself).

I'm sure these herbal cures and supplements have worked for some folks. I just hate to see people throwing a lot of money around on herbal supplements of dubious value.

Opinionated? Who, me??

Take care,

Guest guest

I don't take many supplements either, mainly

Calcium. I try to eat very healthy but My weaknesses

are cheese and chips. I can't eat high fat stuff since

being on treatment. I ate 2 slices of Supreme pizza

recently and boy, was I sorry. I indulge my sweet

tooth and Frito tooth now and then but try not to

overindulge.

I take so many prescribed meds. I try to stay away

from the herbs because they can interact with

disastrous results. I already feel like a chemical

waste dump.

Sharon

--- Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote:

> Hi, Debbie,

>

> Sorry if I sounded a bit fanatical. I take a

> multi-vitamin, Vitamin E and glucosamine (my wife

> swears by if for joint pain) everyday.

>

> I would like to say I rely on a healthy diet, and I

> do eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm

> not a vegetarian, but my system can't take a lot of

> meat since I've started treatment. What does me in

> a chronic sweet tooth I've had ever since I quit

> drinking (and smoking, many years ago). Sometimes

> I'll go on a binge and eat a whole pint of Ben &

> Jerry's plus cookies, then feel disgusted with

> myself for such lack of self-control. At least

> it's not booze (I tell myself).

>

> I'm sure these herbal cures and supplements have

> worked for some folks. I just hate to see people

> throwing a lot of money around on herbal supplements

> of dubious value.

>

> Opinionated? Who, me??

>

> Take care,

> [ ] Questions on

> supplements

>

>

> Hello group,It has been awhile since I voiced

> my thought so here are a few comments and questions

> I have for the group and hoping to get a good

> response from anyone who knows of this subject about

> taking supplements for treating ailments or just a

> preventative.I too have hep C geno type 2 waiting

> for treatment any day now (Its taking forever) Ive

> always takens vitamins ever since I can remember. I

> believe they do help keep you healthy along with a

> good healthy diet. Ever since I was told about this

> virus I've taken supplements to help with the liver

> ( milk thistle to name a few) Well I was introduced

> to a product called OPC-3.It is a Isotonix.with

> gingerseed extract,red wine extract pine bark

> extract.bilberry extract and citrus extract

> bioflavonoids.25mg per herb plus 93mg of potassium

> also take a liver formula dietary supplement with a

> variety of supplements and antioxidants. My question

> to the group is do you think this is a waste of

> money or am I just hoping to get better quicker? I

> have been noticing some pain around the liver area

> more than ever before and I'm not sure if I should

> discontinue the supplements or keep on taking them.

> Any thought from anyone? I am concren and Im not

> sure the drs. will know what to tell me waiting for

> a response....GIGLEBUTT

>

>

>

>

>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

• 6 years later...
Guest guest

>

> I bought some Garden of Life CLO this week. It sounds like I should be

> taking an addition 10,000 IU to get extra A and D vitamins. Can I just

> take 2 T of CLO or do I need other fish oils?

+++Hi . You have two options with Garden of Life CLO:

1) Take 1 tablespoon plus an extra supplement that contains 10,000 IU of vitamin

A and 400 IU vitamin D.

2) Take 2 tablespoons - that's what I take, which is simplier.

>

> Is there a brand of B Complex that doesn't have Niacinamide in it?

> Would it be better to buy separate B vitamins, if they make them all

> separately, although that seems like alot.

+++No, do not buy separate B vitamins - it is totally unnecessary and futile.

Niacinamide in B complex won't cause problems, but to obtain the benefits of

" true " Niacin (B3) it is taken in addition to vitamin B complex.

>

> Can I take my 4000 mg of Vitamin C at one time? I think it helps with my

constipation doing it in one dose.

+++Yes you can, but when your constipation is improved, you will probably have

to take it in divided doses.

>

> I am also having trouble finding the Vitamin E. I found one by Solaray that

was dry, but it had rice in it. Any recommendations on that one as well? I

still have a couple more health food stores to get to.

+++Please provide the link to the Solaray dry vitamin E. You could buy Natural

Factors Brand Clear Base Vitamin E - available at iHerb:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/resource/iherb.php

>

> Also I take calcium (as calcium hydroxyapatite, citrate, aspartate,

> alpha ketoglutarate, lysinate). It also has phosphorus(as calcium

> hydroxyapatite) and magnesium (as oxide citrate taurinate

> alpha-ketoglutarate, aspartate). I cut back on the dosage to try and get rid

of my leg cramps, but now my finger nails are developing ridges. I had a

chiropractor at one time tell me the only calcium he recommended was the

hydroxyapatite.

+++Please do not take that calcium product. The hydroxyapatite is derived from

young bovine (cow) bones, so that's why it also contains phosphorus and

magnesium. First, there is plenty of phosphorus in this diet, from meats and

eggs, so it should not be supplemented.

+++Second, if you take a product that contains magnesium you cannot regulate the

amount of magnesium to take, which needs to be equal to the amount of calcium,

and some people require more magnesium than calcium.

+++That is why you always get calcium and magnesium separate without any other

nutrients included. All minerals require acid in order to be absorbed and

utilized so that's why I recommend the citrate form.

>

> Is grape seed oil okay to use?

+++No. It is an unnatural oil that is high in omega 6, and most of us get way

too much omega 6 in the diet. That's why we need to supplement with omega 3,

and limit omega 6 intake. The only man-made oil that is acceptable is extra

virgin olive oil, which contains omega-6, omega-9 and omega-3.

>

> Hope this isn't too long. I am noticing a difference already on this diet,

even though I am not all the supplements.

+++Good for you! Onward & upward!

Bee