RemedySpot.com

Welcome new members!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 12/16/01 1:11:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time, twagner@... writes:

We have a few new members. Welcome to !

Step on up and introduce yourselves!

Terri

My name is Lillian Newman of Fragrant Blossom Soaps, and I am a friend of Terri's. Terri and I have known each other off and on for about a year now...and I have always found her presence to be delightful. Neat person.

I live in Noblesville, IN but thought I'd venture over to the New York area. Just recently I was in Niagara and I thought of crossing the bridge for a mad dash to the Big Apple, but the n B & B I was staying in at Niagara was too inviting. :o)

Thank you, Terri, for inviting me to this list. Nice to meet you all!

Lillian

FBSoaps

www.fragrantblossom.com

Hi Lills,

Glad my invite worked that time (darn phone lines!)

We're a pretty relaxed group here.... we stray from soaping from time to

time.... chit chat about family and the weather is norm for us. So

loosen the soaping apron, slip on the fuzzy slippers and have a good time.

Terri

Welcome Lillian! I just met you over in the other list. I live just outside Rochester NY, about 1.5-2 hours away from Niagara Falls.

Welcome to this list!

ShayeThe Soap Shackwww.mysoapshack.com

-----Original Message-----From: fbessential@... [mailto:fbessential@...]Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 1:15 AM Subject: Re: Welcome New Members!In a message dated 12/16/01 1:11:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time, twagner@... writes:

We have a few new members. Welcome to ! Step on up and introduce yourselves! Terri My name is Lillian Newman of Fragrant Blossom Soaps, and I am a friend of Terri's. Terri and I have known each other off and on for about a year now...and I have always found her presence to be delightful. Neat person. I live in Noblesville, IN but thought I'd venture over to the New York area. Just recently I was in Niagara and I thought of crossing the bridge for a mad dash to the Big Apple, but the n B & B I was staying in at Niagara was too inviting. :o) Thank you, Terri, for inviting me to this list. Nice to meet you all! Lillian FBSoaps www.fragrantblossom.com Our members maphttp://.homestead.com/locations.htmlOur Message Boardhttp://www.voy.com/21568/Check out these great Molds!!http://soapwerks.com/martinworld.htmMember Kae's Site... Awesome oil Prices!http://www.olivetreesoaps.com/All posts to this list are copyrighted by post author. They may NOT be forwarded, copied, or used in anyway without the permission of the post author with the exception of answering posts to this list. Posts are personal opinions only.

• 7 months later...
Guest guest

Squirm,squirm,blush,figet,blush!!!!

Its because I love being a tech and have had the good fortune to work

with some awesome folks,and to meet other incredible techs/rphs over

the internet... I feel an obligation to share my good fortune and

help out my fellow techs whenever/however I can. I know there are

many others visiting this site that feel the same way.

Sincerely,

Dora

> > Hello and welcome to our site

> > daphony and az_titan2001

> > Feel free to browse around--This is a new location for a

previously

> > existing site, so there's a ton of info here. Be sure to check

the

> > Files option for archived discussions/topics. Please tell us a

> little

> > about yourselves and add your names to the database.

> > Enjoy!

> > Dora

> > Group Moderator

Guest guest

Love you and glad we are working together on our common goal.

Jeanetta

> > > Hello and welcome to our site

> > > daphony and az_titan2001

> > > Feel free to browse around--This is a new location for a

> previously

> > > existing site, so there's a ton of info here. Be sure to check

> the

> > > Files option for archived discussions/topics. Please tell us a

> > little

> > > about yourselves and add your names to the database.

> > > Enjoy!

> > > Dora

> > > Group Moderator

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

You are SO right!! Teachers are expected to implement full inclusion with little to no training, support, or extra sets of hands. Teachers don't ask for help because their jobs are on the line. (Some have been told, "If you can't do it, we'll find someone who can") It has unfortunately become the responsibility of parents to supply the help the teachers need by asking appropriate questions at IEP's. (For example..."My child is a runner. When she decides to run, what will you as the teacher do? Go after her or stay with other 25? And what ever happens when the other runner in the class chooses the same moment to run the opposite direction? There's no good answer to that so it should begin dialogue about how to fix the problem>>>extra set of hands necessary>>>child gets an aide>>>teacher has help, etc.) Teacher and parent education as well as aide services can be part of the child's related services on their IEP and thus supports and educates the teacher when the school doesn't voluntarily do it. Once it's on the IEP, unfortunately, it usually also becomes the responsibility of the parent to make sure it happens. Way more responsibility than I want as a parent, but this is the way it works at the moment...I'm hearing more and more positive things about co-teaching. (Gen ed and SPED teachers in the same classroom, possibly w/ students w/ their own aides as well). Unfortunately, not many schools are excited about it because of the number of hands in the classroom they have to pay a salary for, but it is effective. Have any of you guys heard of the Memphis school district that is requiring that all their students to have a version of an IEP regardless of whether or not they receive spec ed services? Great philosophy as every kid does have their own learning style, but not practical to come to that conclusion and implement without thinking through the ramifications on students/teachers alike. There's about to be a mass-exodus of teachers, unfortunately, the good ones will be the first to go...I know I've mentioned this before, but the parent and the teacher's best advocate and source of info on special ed law should be their state's PTI. They can help train parents on those questions to ask to get the answers for the child and teacher that they need. I have found that for the most part teachers make decisions they make, not because they are bad teachers, but out of ignorance imposed by a school system unwilling to do training. I think it's awesome that teachers are joining listservs like this one to learn. Parents are the best teachers of all and there are listservs for about every disorder/syndrome/learning difference under the sun. Welcome! Mattheiss, Executive DirectorLifeLine, Inc.Reaching Families of Those with Special Needs With Support, Education, and Respite-- Carol in IL <ps1272000@...> wrote:

While making Miss a mini office, I came across a teacher's list serv and joined it and of course posted already.... As a result we have had a number of SPED teachers looking for info and tools to help teach their students with DS and they also have kids with ASD.So wanted to say WELCOME to you all. Right now there is a discussion on that list serve regarding inclusion and meeting the needs of all students. The teachers are expressing frustration at not being trained in how to help and also sounds to me as though many are not being given much support in the form of para's, pull outs for core academics etc... and feel their students are not receiving the best education they could be. Most of them don't sound as though they are against inclusion but simply can't do it all with out some kind of training, support and extra hands.I have not had time to dig deeper with toady being ill, but I am really surprised that the teachers themselves can't get the help in the class room that they need. If they have the type of parents who think school knows best and isn't questioning things, geez.... that is going to be tough. Sounds to me, and the teachers can correct me if I am wrong, that the parents are the ones who need to push for extra help??? That the teachers are not in the position to do so? It would drive me batty to be a teacher today. Seems like they are being asked to do a lot with out much in the way of tools to accomplish what is being asked of them. And also amazes me how we as parents are not made aware of these issues- which is why I like to spend lots of time in school with . :--) This way I can see what is needed or what needs to change and often times can supply those things myself.But if the teacher doesn't feel comfy in telling the parents the problems with a lack of services and the parents are unaware... where does that leave the child?!

Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1Mom to seven including , 6 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.

Join our Down Syndrome information group -

Down Syndrome Treatment/

Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

_____________________________________________________________Buy Hardwood Floors Direct - Click Here.

I agree with much of what you say Carol--both as a teacher (special ed) and a parent. I think one of the things general ed teachers need to realize is that often they DON"T need any extra training to teach "our" kids. To me, a good teacher is a good teacher--it doesn't take a special ed background or special training to teach/work with kids with special needs. It does take a desire and willingness to make it work. So many times, I think, teachers feel they need training or because they haven't had any special training they feel they can't do this. It's not like they take a course or attend a workshop and voila they can suddenly, magically *include* the kids with special needs in their classroom. Extra training certainly can help...but it shouldn't seem like it is a requirement to be successful at including kids in the general ed curriculum. Also, most "extras" a teacher may do for a child on an IEP will most likely help other students, too. Without the support of other teachers, administration and parents it can be very difficult.

I also agree that if parents want their kids *included* they often have to be the squeaky wheel, otherwise it's likely not to happen. I'm in a sometimes "sticky" situation...I have the only two kids in our district (very small, about 630 students in grades k-12) with Down syndrome, I am pretty much the only parent in our elementary that really pushes for inclusion, and I am a teacher in the same district. This has been somewhat awkward for me from time to time to push for the inclusion of my kids while at the same time having good working relations with the people in my district/building. However, it is working (overall) very well. I do wish more parents would jump on my bandwagon and then I think things would progress quicker and probably more effectively.

Jill

Mom to Mac (9 yrs., 4th grade, Ds) and Kit (6 yrs., K, Ds)

Welcome New Members!

While making Miss a mini office, I came across a teacher's list serv and joined it and of course posted already.... As a result we have had a number of SPED teachers looking for info and tools to help teach their students with DS and they also have kids with ASD.So wanted to say WELCOME to you all. Right now there is a discussion on that list serve regarding inclusion and meeting the needs of all students. The teachers are expressing frustration at not being trained in how to help and also sounds to me as though many are not being given much support in the form of para's, pull outs for core academics etc... and feel their students are not receiving the best education they could be. Most of them don't sound as though they are against inclusion but simply can't do it all with out some kind of training, support and extra hands.I have not had time to dig deeper with toady being ill, but I am really surprised that the teachers themselves can't get the help in the class room that they need. If they have the type of parents who think school knows best and isn't questioning things, geez.... that is going to be tough. Sounds to me, and the teachers can correct me if I am wrong, that the parents are the ones who need to push for extra help??? That the teachers are not in the position to do so? It would drive me batty to be a teacher today. Seems like they are being asked to do a lot with out much in the way of tools to accomplish what is being asked of them. And also amazes me how we as parents are not made aware of these issues- which is why I like to spend lots of time in school with . :--) This way I can see what is needed or what needs to change and often times can supply those things myself.But if the teacher doesn't feel comfy in telling the parents the problems with a lack of services and the parents are unaware... where does that leave the child?!

Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1Mom to seven including , 6 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.

Join our Down Syndrome information group -

http://hea lth./group/Down Syndrome Treatment/

Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Thanks for the info! You have helped me a lot as I prepare for a

child with DS to be fully included.

A couple of things they should ask for, because as a teacher, that may

cause more expenses in our budget and then we'll get in trouble.

HOwever, our parents our pretty well educated on asking for things (we

have a lot of child with autism at our school, too)

Also, I read in a post below that we don't need to know many things

about special ed to do full inclusion...however, I know the teachers

at my school have been. For example, we have one on one aides for

children with autism, and they come to our room and we are supposed to

know how to direct them and tell them what they are doing right or

wrong. Also, we are given IEP's that say " use visual schedules and

social stories, " when until last July, that was Greek to me. :) Now I

know all about it, but I had to seek out training myself by attending

work shops, reading on the internet and buying books about it. My

district did not provide that training for me.

Our teachers are very willing to do the best for all children, but our

districts need to provide more training and more tools. I am very

fortunate to have a principal that gives me extra money to buy things

from Lakeshore that will help with visual schedules.

Thanks again for inviting me here, Carol...I learned so much about

teaching reading to a child with DS already from you!

C

>

> While making Miss a mini office, I came across a teacher's

list serv and joined it and of course posted already....

>

> As a result we have had a number of SPED teachers looking for info

and tools to help teach their students with DS and they also have kids

with ASD.

> So wanted to say WELCOME to you all.

>

> Right now there is a discussion on that list serve regarding

inclusion and meeting the needs of all students. The teachers are

expressing frustration at not being trained in how to help and also

sounds to me as though many are not being given much support in the

form of para's, pull outs for core academics etc... and feel their

students are not receiving the best education they could be. Most of

them don't sound as though they are against inclusion but simply

can't do it all with out some kind of training, support and extra hands.

>

> I have not had time to dig deeper with toady being ill, but I am

really surprised that the teachers themselves can't get the help in

the class room that they need. If they have the type of parents who

think school knows best and isn't questioning things, geez.... that is

going to be tough. Sounds to me, and the teachers can correct me if I

am wrong, that the parents are the ones who need to push for extra

help??? That the teachers are not in the position to do so? It would

drive me batty to be a teacher today. Seems like they are being asked

to do a lot with out much in the way of tools to accomplish what is

being asked of them. And also amazes me how we as parents are not made

aware of these issues- which is why I like to spend lots of time in

school with . :--) This way I can see what is needed or what

needs to change and often times can supply those things myself.

>

> But if the teacher doesn't feel comfy in telling the parents the

problems with a lack of services and the parents are unaware... where

does that leave the child?!

>

>

> Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1

> Mom to seven including , 6 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS,

Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.

>

> My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.

>

>

> Join our Down Syndrome information group -

> Down Syndrome Treatment/

>

> Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

> Need a vacation? Get great deals

> to amazing places on Travel.

> http://travel./

>

In our distrct the teacher's 'can't' suggest or request evaluations. I have had teachers when my son was in Elementary school come to ME and ask ME to talk to another parent when they saw developmental issues with a student..because their hands were tied.

I made a 3 inch notebook with all kinds of inclusion info that went from grade to grade with through elementary school. I had all the best articles from 'why' to do inclusion all the way to 'how' and behavior info, then a section specifically on what 's current tricks were. It was always appreciated, and went to the next teacher at the beginning of summer so they would have time to read over the summer.

A great website on 'why' to do inclusion is

www.normemma.com

Norman Kunc has Cerebral palsey and was in a segregated school till 6th grade when he went to the local middle school and asked the principal if he could attend there..he went on to get his masters in marriage and family psychology. He lectures all over the world and full text of his lectures are there...my favorite is about how school was created like an assembly line to 'weed out the deviations...and in people that means 'deviants'.

AND "Children learn best in a segregated setting how to act more retarded."

There is a great inclusion training at California State San Marcos in San Diego every summer for 2.5 days with the guru's of inclusion: Villa, Jackie Thousand, Norm Kunc, Falvey, and many more.

The sad thing for me is as has gone up through the ranks the inclusion in Intermediate School and high school is fought so hard that it's taking his right to be included away simply by being a toxic environment for him with teacher attitudes...so we can't wait for the next 4 years to end at this point.

, Mom to 13, DS, Southern CaliforniaTo succeed in life,you need three things:a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone.~ Reba McIntyre

Diagnosis Down Syndrome: A Site of Hope for New Parents or Parents with a Prenatal Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/What to Say to Parents of a Child with a Diagnosishttp://www.leeworks.net/DDS/speech.html

Re: Welcome New Members!

Thanks for the info! You have helped me a lot as I prepare for achild with DS to be fully included.A couple of things they should ask for, because as a teacher, that maycause more expenses in our budget and then we'll get in trouble. HOwever, our parents our pretty well educated on asking for things (wehave a lot of child with autism at our school, too)Also, I read in a post below that we don't need to know many thingsabout special ed to do full inclusion...however, I know the teachersat my school have been. For example, we have one on one aides forchildren with autism, and they come to our room and we are supposed toknow how to direct them and tell them what they are doing right orwrong. Also, we are given IEP's that say "use visual schedules andsocial stories," when until last July, that was Greek to me. :) Now Iknow all about it, but I had to seek out training myself by attendingwork shops, reading on the internet and buying books about it. Mydistrict did not provide that training for me.Our teachers are very willing to do the best for all children, but ourdistricts need to provide more training and more tools. I am veryfortunate to have a principal that gives me extra money to buy thingsfrom Lakeshore that will help with visual schedules.Thanks again for inviting me here, Carol...I learned so much aboutteaching reading to a child with DS already from you!C>> While making Miss a mini office, I came across a teacher'slist serv and joined it and of course posted already.... > > As a result we have had a number of SPED teachers looking for infoand tools to help teach their students with DS and they also have kidswith ASD.> So wanted to say WELCOME to you all. > > Right now there is a discussion on that list serve regardinginclusion and meeting the needs of all students. The teachers areexpressing frustration at not being trained in how to help and alsosounds to me as though many are not being given much support in theform of para's, pull outs for core academics etc... and feel theirstudents are not receiving the best education they could be. Most ofthem don't sound as though they are against inclusion but simplycan't do it all with out some kind of training, support and extra hands.> > I have not had time to dig deeper with toady being ill, but I amreally surprised that the teachers themselves can't get the help inthe class room that they need. If they have the type of parents whothink school knows best and isn't questioning things, geez.... that isgoing to be tough. Sounds to me, and the teachers can correct me if Iam wrong, that the parents are the ones who need to push for extrahelp??? That the teachers are not in the position to do so? It woulddrive me batty to be a teacher today. Seems like they are being askedto do a lot with out much in the way of tools to accomplish what isbeing asked of them. And also amazes me how we as parents are not madeaware of these issues- which is why I like to spend lots of time inschool with . :--) This way I can see what is needed or whatneeds to change and often times can supply those things myself.> > But if the teacher doesn't feel comfy in telling the parents the problems with a lack of services and the parents are unaware... wheredoes that leave the child?!> > > Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1> Mom to seven including , 6 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS,Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.> > My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.> > > Join our Down Syndrome information group - > Down Syndrome Treatment/> > Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic> > > > > > >__________________________________________________________> Need a vacation? Get great deals> to amazing places on Travel.> http://travel./>

That is what makes you a GOOD teacher...you sought out the things needed to help

you. The training itself didn't turn you into a good teacher...you know what

you needed to do. I'm not saying training is not useful and if you know what

you don't know and need to know (visual schedules, social stories)that is where

you seek the training. I also think it is part of the job of the special

education staff to " train " you--someone who wrote the IEP should have been

knowledgeable about things like visual schedules and social stories and shared

how those things are designed and used. I think we all should seek out what we

need to improve our craft, but I also think a good teacher will do that whether

she teaches general ed kids or kids with special needs. The biggest step

towards being a good teacher of kids with special needs is attitude--accepting

and believing that they DO belong in the general education setting and having

high expectations for them to succeed with your guida

nce.

Jill

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------

Reply-Down Syndrome Treatment

Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 13:23:36 -0000

>Thanks for the info! You have helped me a lot as I prepare for a

>child with DS to be fully included.

>

>A couple of things they should ask for, because as a teacher, that may

> cause more expenses in our budget and then we'll get in trouble.

>HOwever, our parents our pretty well educated on asking for things (we

>have a lot of child with autism at our school, too)

>

>Also, I read in a post below that we don't need to know many things

>about special ed to do full inclusion...however, I know the teachers

>at my school have been. For example, we have one on one aides for

>children with autism, and they come to our room and we are supposed to

>know how to direct them and tell them what they are doing right or

>wrong. Also, we are given IEP's that say " use visual schedules and

>social stories, " when until last July, that was Greek to me. :) Now I

>know all about it, but I had to seek out training myself by attending

>work shops, reading on the internet and buying books about it. My

>district did not provide that training for me.

>

>Our teachers are very willing to do the best for all children, but our

>districts need to provide more training and more tools. I am very

>fortunate to have a principal that gives me extra money to buy things

>from Lakeshore that will help with visual schedules.

>

>Thanks again for inviting me here, Carol...I learned so much about

>teaching reading to a child with DS already from you!

>

>C

>

>

>

>>

>> While making Miss a mini office, I came across a teacher's

>list serv and joined it and of course posted already....

>>

>> As a result we have had a number of SPED teachers looking for info

>and tools to help teach their students with DS and they also have kids

>with ASD.

>> So wanted to say WELCOME to you all.

>>

>> Right now there is a discussion on that list serve regarding

>inclusion and meeting the needs of all students. The teachers are

>expressing frustration at not being trained in how to help and also

>sounds to me as though many are not being given much support in the

>form of para's, pull outs for core academics etc... and feel their

>students are not receiving the best education they could be. Most of

>them don't sound as though they are against inclusion but simply

>can't do it all with out some kind of training, support and extra hands.

>>

>> I have not had time to dig deeper with toady being ill, but I am

>really surprised that the teachers themselves can't get the help in

>the class room that they need. If they have the type of parents who

>think school knows best and isn't questioning things, geez.... that is

>going to be tough. Sounds to me, and the teachers can correct me if I

>am wrong, that the parents are the ones who need to push for extra

>help??? That the teachers are not in the position to do so? It would

>drive me batty to be a teacher today. Seems like they are being asked

>to do a lot with out much in the way of tools to accomplish what is

>being asked of them. And also amazes me how we as parents are not made

>aware of these issues- which is why I like to spend lots of time in

>school with . :--) This way I can see what is needed or what

>needs to change and often times can supply those things myself.

>>

>> But if the teacher doesn't feel comfy in telling the parents the

>problems with a lack of services and the parents are unaware... where

>does that leave the child?!

>>

>>

>> Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1

>> Mom to seven including , 6 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS,

>Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.

>>

>> My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me.

>>

>>

>> Join our Down Syndrome information group -

>> Down Syndrome Treatment/

>>

>> Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>_______________________________________________________________________________\

_____

>> Need a vacation? Get great deals

>> to amazing places on Travel.

>> http://travel./

>>

>

>

>

>

• 1 year later...

Hello and Good day soul family! This is just a little note to welcome our new members. We area family here, and we are very happy to have you here with us, sharing and journeying together through earth School.Please make yourself at home, post articles, ask questions, healing and prayer requests, we will love to hear more about your and what your dreams are.We can be very talkative at times, so if you prefer, change your message to Daily Digest status. You are very welcome here. Please feel yourself hugged. love and respect to allLiane