RemedySpot.com

Forgivenss

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi All,

Once again I've been quiet in the group, just observing. But my son sent me an article he wrote. He wanted my approval and permission before it was there for the world to see. I know this is not a political forum but the topic is forgiveness, and his words were so moving to me that I wanted to share. I posted it on myspace as well. is a political activist and has many causes and he does much to advocate for the things he believes in. No matter how you feel about the topic, feel his words concerning forgiveness. Somehow since reading them, I've felt more at peace. Maybe I've forgiven. I'm not sure. Anyway, here's his article. His name is Nixon. Love to all.

When my sister, Christy Anne Nixon, 26, was murdered by Richmond City gang members on October 17, 2005, my initial response was anger—not directed toward her killers, but rather directed to everyone else: my father, my employers, my friends, etc. I cannot explain these developing and misdirected emotions; such is the human condition during a state of mourning. I was even angry at my sister.

I did not want to believe that someone could have killed her. She was charismatic, an artist, a waitress, and above all a mother. No—she couldn't have been murdered! But as the saying goes, "a mother always knows," and my mother's intuition pointed toward a crime from the very beginning.

As the facts began to emerge, my anger subsided. Christy practiced a life of compassion and empathy toward her fellow human beings. And although I was against capital punishment prior to her death, I realized just how against it I really was.

Additionally Christy's murder introduced me to the most tragic aspect of homicide: collateral damage. Christy's memorial service was attended by more people than I could ever have imagined. It seemed as if the entire community came out to pay their respects. I realized that a single passing causes hundreds to mourn.

Even though capital charges were never filed against those involved, I feared that they might have been. I began to investigate the capital process and the facts. I found within myself not a single situation where I thought it would be okay to take another human life. Subsequently I developed a conscientious objection to the taking of human life, even during war. I also decided to adopt a vegan diet because if I was to fight for the lives of convicted killers, I should not be taking innocent animals' lives.

Two years following her death, I decided to step into the media spotlight in protest of scheduled executions. I continue to receive a lot of attention, and I hope that my efforts, while they may not save a life, will change the hearts of others who have lost loved ones. I know how it feels. I know it can be hard. But acceptance, forgiveness, and compassion feel much better than hatred and vengeful thoughts.

My sister's passing was tragic; it broke the hearts, and almost the bonds, of my family. I saw the hardest of men break down in tears. But, as there is always a silver lining to every cloud, instead of giving into the hatred in my heart, I opened it to allow forgiveness, love, and compassion to prevail. As Christy led a life of compassion, so do I. And although forgiving her killers was hard to do, I have forgiven them with all my heart. If needed be, I would have fought to save her killers' lives. I will always miss my sister, but she wouldn't have wanted me to live a life of hate.

The death penalty is wrong, and I cannot reconcile myself with any aspect of it. I hope that my example will help bring much needed death penalty reform.