RemedySpot.com

RE: San Mateo/ burlingame Gluten free restaurants

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Have you had problems with sushi restaurants? I just bring my gf tamari and let them know not to get their soy sauce near anything I eat, and it hasn't been a problem. They're usually great at letting me know if the miso is ok for me, too. We've eaten at a Japanese restaurant many times in San Mateo - I'll have to ask my husband for the name & address then I'll pass it on.

In a message dated 9/24/08 11:07:16 AM, bronwyn@... writes:

Hi there:

I’ve checked the google gluten free map but there are very few restaurants listed in the San Mateo/ Burlingame Area – does anyone know any?  I will put on Viognier and 231 Ellsworth (both in San Mateo) when I figure out how to do it but would love to learn about some more?  In particular, am looking for a sushi place that can handle GF – I’m very sensitive, so they need to be really good on it.

Thx a million for any ideas.

Bron

**************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

No, not in my experience, and I've gone to lots of sushi restaurants. Soy sauce doesn't even tend to be used in the "spicy" rolls, though for that I would definitely check at each restaurant. So there really isn't a cc issue. Soy sauce is used in wakame salads...

In a message dated 9/24/08 11:37:18 AM, bronwyn@... writes:

haven't ever tried as I thought that soy sauce was used in most of the rolls?  Wonderful if I can go to most - I am excited and might even try tonight :)

**************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

I haven't ever tried as I thought that soy sauce was used in most of the rolls? Wonderful if I can go to most - I am excited and might even try tonight :)----- Original Message -----From: < > < >Sent: Wed Sep 24 11:10:50 2008Subject: Re: [ ] San Mateo/ burlingame Gluten free restaurantsHave you had problems with sushi restaurants? I just bring my gf tamari and let them know not to get their soy sauce near anything I eat, and it hasn't been a problem. They're usually great at letting me know if the miso is ok for me, too. We've eaten at a Japanese restaurant many times in San Mateo - I'll have to ask my husband for the name & address then I'll pass it on.In a message dated 9/24/08 11:07:16 AM, bronwyn@... writes: Hi there: I’ve checked the google gluten free map but there are very few restaurants listed in the San Mateo/ Burlingame Area – does anyone know any? I will put on Viognier and 231 Ellsworth (both in San Mateo) when I figure out how to do it but would love to learn about some more? In particular, am looking for a sushi place that can handle GF – I’m very sensitive, so they need to be really good on it. Thx a million for any ideas. Bron **************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.(http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

Excellent. What about the wasabi - is that safe?

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of TrVerb@...Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:39 PM Subject: Re: [ ] San Mateo/ burlingame Gluten free restaurants

No, not in my experience, and I've gone to lots of sushi restaurants. Soy sauce doesn't even tend to be used in the "spicy" rolls, though for that I would definitely check at each restaurant. So there really isn't a cc issue. Soy sauce is used in wakame salads...In a message dated 9/24/08 11:37:18 AM, bronwyn@... writes:

haven't ever tried as I thought that soy sauce was used in most of the rolls? Wonderful if I can go to most - I am excited and might even try tonight :)**************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.(http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

There's a take out place in SF that let me read the ingredients on a

few things. The seaweed paper was no problem. The wasabi seemed fine

too - it had corn starch among other things. The pickled ginger was

scary -- saccharin, preservatives, msg, ... I wasn't sure if there

could be gluten in it or not.

On 9/24/08, Bronwyn Syiek <bronwyn@...> wrote:

> Excellent. What about the wasabi - is that safe?

>

> ________________________________

>

> From:

> [mailto: ] On Behalf Of TrVerb@...

> Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:39 PM

>

> Subject: Re: [ ] San Mateo/ burlingame Gluten free

> restaurants

>

>

> No, not in my experience, and I've gone to lots of sushi restaurants.

> Soy sauce doesn't even tend to be used in the " spicy " rolls, though for

> that I would definitely check at each restaurant. So there really isn't

> a cc issue. Soy sauce is used in wakame salads...

> In a message dated 9/24/08 11:37:18 AM, bronwyn@... writes:

>

>

>

>

> haven't ever tried as I thought that soy sauce was used in most

> of the rolls? Wonderful if I can go to most - I am excited and might

> even try tonight :)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> **************

> Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges?

> Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and

> calculators.

> (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

>

--

Sent from my mobile device

One other thing to ask about and beware of in sushi restaurants is

whether they use REAL or IMITATION crab. A LOT of places use

imitation, and most imitation has some wheat in it. Some places use

both, and you can pay extra for real. I love California rolls with

REAL crab!! (I also love true sushi made from raw fish!)

You are right that some " theme " rolls have sauces poured over them

with soy sauce in them, but the staff is usually pretty knowledgeable.

Also the sauce on the bbq eel (unagi) is almost always soy sauce

based. If you stick to non-saucy things and nigiri sushi, and they

offer REAL crab, you should be fine!

Good luck!

-laura

> In a message dated 9/24/08 11:37:18 AM, bronwyn@... writes:

>

> > haven't ever tried as I thought that soy sauce was used in most of

the

> > rolls?  Wonderful if I can go to most - I am excited and might

even try tonight

> > :)

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, TrVerb@... wrote:

> No, not in my experience, and I've gone to lots of sushi restaurants. Soy

> sauce doesn't even tend to be used in the " spicy " rolls, though for that

> I would definitely check at each restaurant. So there really isn't  a cc

> issue. Soy sauce is used in wakame salads...

I have found that a lot of sushi restaurants in SF are putting soy

sauce in their rice water and some of their fish to salt it. No wonder

I was getting sick!

Ask before ordering. Most will make up plain rice if soy sauce rice is

their default.

--Ruth Anne

I had heard that many Chinese restaurants use wheat to thicken their rice of

make it sticky - takeaway Chinese made me so ill. This is not a problem in

Japanese restaurants then?

-----Original Message-----

Behalf Of Ruth Anne

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:27 PM

Subject: Re: [ ] San Mateo/ burlingame Gluten free restaurants

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, TrVerb@... wrote:

> No, not in my experience, and I've gone to lots of sushi restaurants. Soy

> sauce doesn't even tend to be used in the " spicy " rolls, though for that

> I would definitely check at each restaurant. So there really isn't  a cc

> issue. Soy sauce is used in wakame salads...

I was getting sick!

Ask before ordering. Most will make up plain rice if soy sauce rice is

their default.

--Ruth Anne

------------------------------------

Wow, I have never ever heard of this, and I eat at Japanese restaurants fairly often (several times a month). What restaurants have told you they've done this? it would be nice to have a list to know to avoid them.

In a message dated 9/25/08 12:30:32 PM, bronwyn@... writes:

I was getting sick!

I've not heard this. I think it unlikely. Perhaps you're thinking of "sticky rice", which is just a special variety, botanically speaking, of rice. Same for "glutenous rice", which contains no gluten. It's just a different variety.

H.

In a message dated 9/25/08 12:30:29 PM, bronwyn@... writes:

I had heard that many Chinese restaurants use wheat to thicken their rice of make it sticky - takeaway Chinese made me so ill. This is not a problem in Japanese restaurants then?

No, that's not what I mean. In most rice dishes in china, they use something type of flour in the rice - but not wheat - over here, they often use wheat - unfortunately.----- Original Message -----From: < > < >Sent: Fri Sep 26 18:42:20 2008Subject: Re: [ ] San Mateo/ burlingame Gluten free restaurantsI've not heard this. I think it unlikely. Perhaps you're thinking of " sticky rice " , which is just a special variety, botanically speaking, of rice. Same for " glutenous rice " , which contains no gluten. It's just a different variety.H.In a message dated 9/25/08 12:30:29 PM, bronwyn@... writes: I had heard that many Chinese restaurants use wheat to thicken their rice of make it sticky - takeaway Chinese made me so ill. This is not a problem in Japanese restaurants then? **************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.(http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)