RemedySpot.com

Re: Oh Sugar. Help!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think the flavor of beet sugar and cane sugar are the same.

H.

In a message dated 11/15/08 1:57:30 AM, CiZella@... writes:

Hm, wonder how beet sugar would taste in pumpkin pie? Should be

interesting. i

**************Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news & more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=http://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000001)

In another group not too long ago was a discussion on C & H Sugar. The verdict

(from both manufacturer and users) was that it is indeed gluten-free. Doesn't

mean you don't react - you could easily be allergic to sugar cane.

There are beet sugars on the market, but off hand I don't remember which ones

they are, or stevia or corn sweetners.

As for the oven question: do you mean CC from just being in the same oven that

once held gluten, or from touching parts of the oven/rack? I'd think any

aerosolized flour in the oven has long since burned up, but residue could linger

on the rack if you cook directly on it. Just my thoughts, but we've never

experinced CC from a shared oven.

Maureen

> From: Crystal <CiZella@...>

> Subject: [ ] Oh Sugar. Help!

>

> Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 12:56 AM

> I'm on the quest for a sugar that doesn't make me pay for it later. Am

> I the only one that reacts to C & H granulated sugar? If so, ignore me.

> If not, please let me know what you use. Pretty please :)

>

> I'm going to make my first attempt at pumpkin pie after my diagnosis

> (which was last year) and I want to make sure I don't react from my

> own pie.

>

> Also, if an oven has been used for gluten containing foods (say a year

> ago), is there a possibility of CC for the item being cooked?

>

> Thank you

I was referring to it just being in the oven, not necessarily setting

the item on the oven rack. I know with a microwave there can be a

chance of cross-contamination, so I wasn't sure if ovens were the same

way.

Which group had the discussion? Perhaps I can find some alternative

solutions. Thank you for the information. I've tried raw sugar too and

I did react from that. So maybe you're on to something. Oh joy :P

interesting..

>

> > From: Crystal <CiZella@...>

> > Subject: [ ] Oh Sugar. Help!

> >

> > Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 12:56 AM

> > I'm on the quest for a sugar that doesn't make me pay for it later. Am

> > I the only one that reacts to C & H granulated sugar? If so, ignore me.

> > If not, please let me know what you use. Pretty please :)

> >

> > I'm going to make my first attempt at pumpkin pie after my diagnosis

> > (which was last year) and I want to make sure I don't react from my

> > own pie.

> >

> > Also, if an oven has been used for gluten containing foods (say a year

> > ago), is there a possibility of CC for the item being cooked?

> >

> > Thank you

>

Someone suggested the remote possibility that you might react to cane sugar. I see that beet sugar can be ordered from Amazon and various health food sites.

Or, could you just have a very delicate system that simply can't handle sugars (using the term broadly) at all? Do you react to corn syrup or agave syrup or honey?

H.

In a message dated 11/15/08 11:24:45 AM, l@... writes:

**************Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news & more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=http://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000001)

Maybe somone used the same scooper in flour and then the sugar? Unless

it was a new package of course...

On 11/15/08, Crystal <CiZella@...> wrote:

>

> I'm going to make my first attempt at pumpkin pie after my diagnosis

> (which was last year) and I want to make sure I don't react from my

> own pie.

>

> Also, if an oven has been used for gluten containing foods (say a year

> ago), is there a possibility of CC for the item being cooked?

>

> Thank you

>

>

>

--

Sent from my mobile device

I'm not sure I understand how these reactions to honey and sugar (and corn) have anything to do with celiac disease. Neither my doctor nor nutritionist warned me against them - am I missing something?

In a message dated 11/15/08 5:33:29 PM, CiZella@... writes:

I do react to certain types of honey and have had a slight reaction to agave syrup. Not sure about corn syrup though. I've noticed that I do better if the sugar has been cooked (like in cookies, brownies, etc). It's when I use the sugar, honey or agave nectar as a topping for something, that I end up with the hot flashes, the cramping, and the brain fog. Hence the reason I thought I was contaminated and not sensitive to another ingredient.

Generally speaking, does anyone use a different type of granulated sugar - besides C & H? Just curious.

Thank you for the Amazon suggestion.

In a message dated 11/15/08 6:14:37 PM, TrVerb@... writes:

I'm not sure I understand how these reactions to honey and sugar (and corn) have anything to do with celiac disease. Neither my doctor nor nutritionist warned me against them - am I missing something?

I think its a good idea to clean your oven just in case. Use gloves of course. I plan to do that to a toaster oven I used to use that my ex boyfriend toasted a whole lot of sandwiches in... I reacted to using it even though the food I had wasn't cooked on the grills, but rather on an aluminum plate. Depends on how sensitive you are of course, but a clean oven is always a good idea anyway.I find Stevia is always better than sugar by the way. I have a chronic tendency to get candida overgrowth so for me sugar is out. I don't do well with fruit sugar either actually.You can make a fine pumpkin pie using stevia as sweetner. Its your choice if you want to add mollasses or not...Depends on how sensitive to sugar you are. I suggest you experiment ahead of time to come up with something that agrees with you. BeaFrom: Crystal <CiZella@...>Subject: [ ] Re: Oh Sugar. Help! Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 1:57 AM

I was referring to it just being in the oven, not necessarily setting

chance of cross-contamination , so I wasn't sure if ovens were the same

way.

interesting. .

>

> > From: Crystal <CiZella@... >

> >

> > I'm on the quest for a sugar that doesn't make me pay for it later. Am

> > I the only one that reacts to C & H granulated sugar? If so, ignore me.

> >

> > own pie.

> >

> > Also, if an oven has been used for gluten containing foods (say a year

> >

> > Thank you

>

I do react to certain types of honey and have had a slight reaction to agave syrup. Not sure about corn syrup though. I've noticed that I do better if the sugar has been cooked (like in cookies, brownies, etc). It's when I use the sugar, honey or agave nectar as a topping for something, that I end up with the hot flashes, the cramping, and the brain fog. Hence the reason I thought I was contaminated and not sensitive to another ingredient.

Generally speaking, does anyone use a different type of granulated sugar - besides C & H? Just curious. Thank you for the Amazon suggestion.On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:36 PM, <flatcat9@...> wrote:

Someone suggested the remote possibility that you might react to cane sugar. I see that beet sugar can be ordered from Amazon and various health food sites.

Or, could you just have a very delicate system that simply can't handle sugars (using the term broadly) at all? Do you react to corn syrup or agave syrup or honey?

H.

In a message dated 11/15/08 11:24:45 AM, l@... writes:

Bea,

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll definitely give Stevia a

try. When did you realize you were sensitive to sugar?

Yeah, I was planning on giving the oven a good bath before using it.

I've been tossing around the idea of doing the self-clean option, but

I'm not that lazy.. I think :P

Hmm.. molasses.. Any particular brand?

>

> >

>

> > > From: Crystal <CiZella@ >

>

> > > Subject: [ ] Oh Sugar. Help!

>

> > >

>

> > > Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 12:56 AM

>

> > > I'm on the quest for a sugar that doesn't make me pay for it

later. Am

>

> > > I the only one that reacts to C & H granulated sugar? If so,

ignore me.

>

> > > If not, please let me know what you use. Pretty please :)

>

> > >

>

> > > I'm going to make my first attempt at pumpkin pie after my

diagnosis

>

> > > (which was last year) and I want to make sure I don't react from my

>

> > > own pie.

>

> > >

>

> > > Also, if an oven has been used for gluten containing foods (say

a year

>

> > > ago), is there a possibility of CC for the item being cooked?

>

> > >

>

> > > Thank you

>

> >

>

I believe candida overgrowth and thus sugar sensitivity of whatever ilk often happens to people with celiac due to long term leaky gut syndrome which in turn comes as a result of the villi being so damaged from celiac. Thus undigested proteins enter the blood stream, which in turn creates increased toxicity for the liver which in turn makes it even more difficult to digest your food as well as get the vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy. Candida overgrowth after all is opportunistic and will populate without check in someone chronically ill especially if they also get various antibiotics along the way... The intestines are the first site for candida overgrowth since it is there that candida naturally lives, though in a healthy person it is held in check by good flora. This is why all those sugar coated breakfast cereals really aren't that good for a

lot of people with celiac for instance. Thank heavens for stevia I say!BeaFrom: TrVerb@... <TrVerb@...>Subject: Re: [ ] Oh Sugar. Help! Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 6:14 PM

In a message dated 11/15/08 5:33:29 PM, CiZellagmail (DOT) com writes:

Generally speaking, does anyone use a different type of granulated sugar - besides C & H? Just curious.

Thank you for the Amazon suggestion.

************ **Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news & more!(http:/ /pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100000075x121277 4565x1200812037/ aol?redir= http://toolbar. aol.com/moviefon e/download. html?ncid= emlcntusdown0000 0001)

Hi Crystal,I don't personally use molasses, however I am sure there are others here who do. A little goes a long way...Just a couple of tablespoons (as I recall) should be enough in addition to the stevia for your pumpkin pie. However it isn't essential to use it; spices are really enough to make the pie taste good. If you can handle it, you can add a little applesauce (1/4 to 1/2 cup). It seems to make the stevia less bitter if used in any quantity. Be sure not to use over 3/4 teaspoon of stevia. In this case a little less is more...It reaches a point in quantity where it becomes bitter. Use honey or something else in addition if you have to, say 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup at most given its Thanksgiving. I personally can't use agave; it gives me a humongous headache!I realized I was sensitive to sugar(s) long before I found out I had

celiac--though I realized I had an "allergy" to wheat, rye, barley and oats back in the early eighties. I had previously had severe health difficulties and almost died from recurring nephritis in my right kidney caused by what I thought were food allergies (fortunately my grandmother alerted me to this possibility since it had happened to her too--though not to the full extent of my experience--she was just allergic to oranges, nuts and chocolate--as am I). I eventually went on an elimination diet and ate cave man diet simply, adding one food at a time every two days or so, took my pulse at intervals and kept a food and reaction diary. I used a book on how to detect one's Allergies. In the mid eighties a friend noticed my face flushed when I ate Chinese food; this was the beginning of my awareness of candida overgrowth. I still struggle with it but keep it in check. Candida contributed to migraines and otherwise horrible skin --

which now looks and feels great by the way and the migraines have gone away unless my neck goes out of joint due to CC or overdoing it at work since I still have some osteoporosis (which is why I do yoga regularly) and use a simple device that adjusts my sacrum and neck. Recently I have also gone off fruit since I seem to be sensitive to

fruit sugar as well as regular sugar plus potatoes, tomatoes and

peppers. Now this seemingly intractible fungal like eczema patch I had has gone away.My case is so extreme in part due to having celiac since infancy--my mother just didn't tell me since they thought I had outgrown it (literally--since initially eating gluten stopped my growth at age 4 months plus gave me pneumonia--I was so bad they put me in isolation at the hospital). She only told me this recently after I had a recurrence of kidney problems this last spring after going off all trace glutens and getting CC'd several times... And here I am at age 59. Though given everything using herbs and diet all these years I could have been much worse off and look and feel younger than most my age. Going off all trace glutens is really worth it since despite my relatively gluten free diet I was still suffering from recurring colds, bronchitis and flue which always seemed to hang on longer than it did for anyone else. Now I haven't gotten

even a sniffle since I got over the CC ordeal this last spring. I am not superwoman, and have my ups and downs esp. with CC, however it is a huge improvement...Nevertheless it has been a real struggle trying to find the face of the elephant. Thus I like to do my bit to help spread the word...Am thus glad what I wrote here to you can be of help.BeaFrom: Crystal <CiZella@...>Subject: [ ] Re: Oh Sugar. Help! Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 6:25 PM

Bea,

Whatever you do, do NOT use date sugar –

that stuff is Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas-T! (That was my very dramatic way of

saying “nasty”, BTW)…

Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008

1:57 AM

Subject: [ ] Re: Oh

Sugar. Help!

I was referring to it just being in the oven, not

necessarily setting

chance of cross-contamination, so I wasn't sure if ovens were the same

way.

interesting..

>

> >

> > I'm on the quest for a sugar that doesn't make me pay for it later.

Am

> > I the only one that reacts to C & H granulated sugar? If so, ignore

me.

> >

> > own pie.

> >

> > Also, if an oven has been used for gluten containing foods (say a

year

> >

> > Thank you

>

Bea, Wow. You have definitely been through the ringer and I thank you for providing so much information. What was causing the CC? By CC, I'm assuming you are referring to cross-contamination? I was also experiencing drawn out flu and colds - then I realized I was getting contaminated from Starbucks. So, no more SB for me. Since then I have noticed a change. Not to mention when I started eating more protein enriched foods. Did you also notice any change in eating all of that meat? Within two weeks my nails were stronger than they EVER were. That was just a small change that I noticed, but probably a big indicator of how deprived my body was.

When you mentioned Nephritis was that associated with any other problems like Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency? I thought I read an article mentioning those two in conjunction with each other. Did you ever experience dry itchy patches under your eyes? This is something that just started with me about 4 months ago. I generally haven't had skin problems, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Thank you so much for the suggestions about how much to use with molasses and/or the Stevia. Your advice has been very helpful. Plus, I am very grateful that you shared your story (probably only a portion of it) with me. I know how hard the battle can be trying to find out what is causing your ongoing symptoms. So, it is always nice when someone steps out and shares their story, basically helping that person avoid going through what they went through.

Much gratitude,Crystal On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Beatrice Garth <beagarth@...> wrote:

Hi Crystal,I don't personally use molasses, however I am sure there are others here who do. A little goes a long way...Just a couple of tablespoons (as I recall) should be enough in addition to the stevia for your pumpkin pie. However it isn't essential to use it; spices are really enough to make the pie taste good. If you can handle it, you can add a little applesauce (1/4 to 1/2 cup). It seems to make the stevia less bitter if used in any quantity. Be sure not to use over 3/4 teaspoon of stevia. In this case a little less is more...It reaches a point in quantity where it becomes bitter. Use honey or something else in addition if you have to, say 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup at most given its Thanksgiving. I personally can't use agave; it gives me a humongous headache!

I realized I was sensitive to sugar(s) long before I found out I had

celiac--though I realized I had an " allergy " to wheat, rye, barley and oats back in the early eighties. I had previously had severe health difficulties and almost died from recurring nephritis in my right kidney caused by what I thought were food allergies (fortunately my grandmother alerted me to this possibility since it had happened to her too--though not to the full extent of my experience--she was just allergic to oranges, nuts and chocolate--as am I).

I eventually went on an elimination diet and ate cave man diet simply, adding one food at a time every two days or so, took my pulse at intervals and kept a food and reaction diary. I used a book on how to detect one's Allergies. In the mid eighties a friend noticed my face flushed when I ate Chinese food; this was the beginning of my awareness of candida overgrowth. I still struggle with it but keep it in check.

Candida contributed to migraines and otherwise horrible skin --

which now looks and feels great by the way and the migraines have gone away unless my neck goes out of joint due to CC or overdoing it at work since I still have some osteoporosis (which is why I do yoga regularly) and use a simple device that adjusts my sacrum and neck.

Recently I have also gone off fruit since I seem to be sensitive to

fruit sugar as well as regular sugar plus potatoes, tomatoes and

peppers. Now this seemingly intractible fungal like eczema patch I had has gone away.My case is so extreme in part due to having celiac since infancy--my mother just didn't tell me since they thought I had outgrown it (literally--since initially eating gluten stopped my growth at age 4 months plus gave me pneumonia--I was so bad they put me in isolation at the hospital). She only told me this recently after I had a recurrence of kidney problems this last spring after going off all trace glutens and getting CC'd several times...

And here I am at age 59. Though given everything using herbs and diet all these years I could have been much worse off and look and feel younger than most my age. Going off all trace glutens is really worth it since despite my relatively gluten free diet I was still suffering from recurring colds, bronchitis and flue which always seemed to hang on longer than it did for anyone else. Now I haven't gotten

even a sniffle since I got over the CC ordeal this last spring. I am not superwoman, and have my ups and downs esp. with CC, however it is a huge improvement...Nevertheless it has been a real struggle trying to find the face of the elephant. Thus I like to do my bit to help spread the word...Am thus glad what I wrote here to you can be of help.

Bea

From: Crystal <CiZella@...>Subject: [ ] Re: Oh Sugar. Help!

Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 6:25 PM

Bea,

Another option is Agave nectar, which some find to have less of a

glycemic reaction than honey. I buy it at Whole Foods, but Trader

Joe's might have it too. But if Candida (as mentioned in other e-

mails) is the cause, then Stevia is a safer route to go.

Bea, I'm so sorry to hear your tough journey, but am glad you are

where you are now (knowing, etc.) My two year old had constant

colds, ear infections, and then asthma until we figured out the

gluten thing. He's so much healthier this season.

Take care,

Kristy

> >

> > Subject: [ ] Re: Oh Sugar. Help!

> >

> > Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 6:25 PM

> >

> > Bea,

> >

> > Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll definitely give

Stevia a

> > try. When did you realize you were sensitive to sugar?

> >

> > Yeah, I was planning on giving the oven a good bath before using

it.

> > I've been tossing around the idea of doing the self-clean option,

but

> > I'm not that lazy.. I think :P

> >

> > Hmm.. molasses.. Any particular brand?

> >

> > .

> >

> >

> >

>

What were you getting glutened by at

Starbucks?

(Whatever it is, I want to avoid it).

BTB, though I would love to be a vegan due

to my philosophical stance, I have found that, being celiac, without meat, I get

severely ill every time. Sure wish I could manage it though…

Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008

10:22 PM

Subject: Re: [ ] Re:

Oh Sugar. Help!

Bea,

Wow. You have definitely been through the ringer and I thank you for providing

so much information. What was causing the CC? By CC, I'm assuming you are

referring to cross-contamination?

I was also experiencing drawn out flu and colds - then I realized I was getting

contaminated from Starbucks. So, no more SB for me. Since then I have noticed a

change. Not to mention when I started eating more protein enriched foods. Did

you also notice any change in eating all of that meat? Within two weeks my nails

were stronger than they EVER were. That was just a small change that I noticed,

but probably a big indicator of how deprived my body was.

When you mentioned Nephritis was that associated with any other problems like

Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency? I thought I read an article mentioning those

two in conjunction with each other.

Did you ever experience dry itchy patches under your eyes? This is something

that just started with me about 4 months ago. I generally haven't had skin

problems, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Thank you so much for the suggestions about how much to use with molasses

and/or the Stevia. Your advice has been very helpful. Plus, I am very grateful

that you shared your story (probably only a portion of it) with me. I know how hard

the battle can be trying to find out what is causing your ongoing symptoms. So,

it is always nice when someone steps out and shares their story, basically

helping that person avoid going through what they went through.

Much gratitude,

Crystal

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Beatrice Garth <beagarth >

wrote:

Hi Crystal,

I don't personally use molasses, however I am sure there are others here who

do. A little goes a long way...Just a couple of tablespoons (as I recall)

should be enough in addition to the stevia for your pumpkin pie. However it

isn't essential to use it; spices are really enough to make the pie taste

good. If you can handle it, you can add a little applesauce (1/4 to 1/2 cup).

It seems to make the stevia less bitter if used in any quantity. Be sure not

to use over 3/4 teaspoon of stevia. In this case a little less is more...It

reaches a point in quantity where it becomes bitter. Use honey or something

else in addition if you have to, say 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup at most given

its Thanksgiving. I personally can't use agave; it gives me a humongous

headache!

I realized I was sensitive to sugar(s) long before I found out I had

celiac--though I realized I had an " allergy " to wheat, rye, barley

and oats back in the early eighties. I had previously had severe health

difficulties and almost died from recurring nephritis in my right kidney

caused by what I thought were food allergies (fortunately my grandmother

alerted me to this possibility since it had happened to her too--though not

to the full extent of my experience--she was just allergic to oranges,

nuts and chocolate--as am I).

I eventually went on an elimination diet and ate cave man diet simply, adding

one food at a time every two days or so, took my pulse at intervals and kept

a food and reaction diary. I used a book on how to detect one's Allergies. In

the mid eighties a friend noticed my face flushed when I ate Chinese food;

this was the beginning of my awareness of candida overgrowth. I still

struggle with it but keep it in check.

Candida contributed to migraines and otherwise horrible skin -- which now

looks and feels great by the way and the migraines have gone away unless my

neck goes out of joint due to CC or overdoing it at work since I still have

some osteoporosis (which is why I do yoga regularly) and use a simple device

that adjusts my sacrum and neck.

Recently I have also gone off fruit since I seem to be sensitive to fruit

sugar as well as regular sugar plus potatoes, tomatoes and peppers. Now this

seemingly intractible fungal like eczema patch I had has gone away.

My case is so extreme in part due to having celiac since infancy--my mother

just didn't tell me since they thought I had outgrown it (literally--since

initially eating gluten stopped my growth at age 4 months plus gave me

pneumonia--I was so bad they put me in isolation at the hospital). She only

told me this recently after I had a recurrence of kidney problems this last

spring after going off all trace glutens and getting CC'd several

times...

And here I am at age 59. Though given everything using herbs and diet all

these years I could have been much worse off and look and feel younger than

most my age. Going off all trace glutens is really worth it since despite my

relatively gluten free diet I was still suffering from recurring colds,

bronchitis and flue which always seemed to hang on longer than it did for

anyone else. Now I haven't gotten even a sniffle since I got over the

CC ordeal this last spring. I am not superwoman, and have my ups and downs

esp. with CC, however it is a huge improvement...

Nevertheless it has been a real struggle trying to find the face of the

elephant. Thus I like to do my bit to help spread the word...Am thus glad

what I wrote here to you can be of help.

Bea

--- On Sat, 11/15/08, Crystal <CiZellagmail>

wrote:

Subject: [ ] Re: Oh Sugar. Help!

Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 6:25 PM

Bea,

Thanks you guys for your empathy. I am sure you have had your own share of stories too. I just thought maybe some of what I went through could be of help to others, to make their journey a little less difficult. I think its healing to share our stories. I believe that in the future people here in America will become more aware of celiac and fewer people will have to suffer from these very preventable problems.About the agave nectar, I think its great for many given its low glycemic index. I happen to be horribly allergic to it however. I think it must have a lot of fructose in it; it gave me a two day migraine! I understand they make a tequila out of it by the way...I don't do well as a vegetarian. I think many of us with celiac have the same experience although there are those exceptions. Part of being closer to the Hunter

Gatherer types of old. My nails way improved going off glutens in general years ago (I used to be able to peel my nails); and now even more being off all trace glutens. My hair now has more body and shine than it ever has plus it stopped falling out. I used to think that it was normal to have a fair amount of hair in ones comb and brush and drain all the time... However I also take extra minerals including trace minerals, zinc, magnesium and calcium and vitamins A and D--though all those minerals did little good until I went off the gluten and then even more after I went off the trace glutens. I still have to take a special calcium to effectively absorb calcium (E-zorb). I could do well using the calcium made from bones, however I worry about the possibility of getting Mad Cow disease and figure I have had enough of weird things to put myself at risk. A number of people have looked at me awry when I chew on chicken bones...I got

cross contaminated (CC) last winter/spring repeatedly mainly out of ignorance. Kissing an ex boyfriend who likes his whiskey (distilled alcohol is supposed to be OK but not for the likes of people like me!); going out to eat at a Thai place where they put bread on one of the plates etc. Eating a gluten free birthday cake my sister made in a tin previously used for a wheat cake in a kitchen not free of CC. I learned the hard way that one has to make sure there is no chance of CC. It doesn't do to be embarrassed about it. Now I often just take my food with me unless its a place I know which is willing to cater to someone with celiac. And then if it is I have to remind them and often check out the kitchen to make sure its all OK.I don't know about the pancreatic thing being connected to kidney problems -- however I did discover I do seem to do better taking pancreatin with meals, especially ones that have protein in them. I also

use bromelain/papain caps regularly.The gluten as well as other things like citrus and sugar and even chocolate will make my kidneys swell and soon they can get infected. I learned to use a variety of herbs to counteract the swelling and possible infection, one being marshmallow root which is also good for the stomach and intestines. Barberry is very good against infection in the urinary tract including the kidneys as well as counteracting candida overgrowth. A little goes a long way. Uva Ursi is an old standby to prevent kidney and bladder infection and inflammation and cleavers function similarly as well as being good at cleaning out the lymphs. The best remedy however is to avoid gluten, sugar etc.On an interesting note, I seem to be far more resistent to parasites and insects than many people or even my calico cat. We have chiggers up here in the woods and my poor cat got them and last year my ex boyfriend during the balmy fall

weather. But not me! Similarly even in the past when I was more subject to getting ill I didn't get parasites others did. I think this too is common amongst northern peoples who have celiac...As well as longevity and having a youthful limber body into old age...BeaFrom: kristy_lund <kristy.lund@...>Subject: [ ] Re: Oh Sugar. Help! Date: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 10:37 PM

Another option is Agave nectar, which some find to have less of a

glycemic reaction than honey. I buy it at Whole Foods, but Trader

Joe's might have it too. But if Candida (as mentioned in other e-

mails) is the cause, then Stevia is a safer route to go.

Bea, I'm so sorry to hear your tough journey, but am glad you are

where you are now (knowing, etc.) My two year old had constant

colds, ear infections, and then asthma until we figured out the

gluten thing. He's so much healthier this season.

Take care,

Kristy

--- In , "Crystal Brown" <CiZella@... >

wrote:

>

> Bea,

>

> Wow. You have definitely been through the ringer and I thank you for

> providing so much information. What was causing the CC? By CC, I'm

assuming

> you are referring to cross-contamination ?

>

I know lots of gluten-free vegetarians, so I'm not sure about this. I

don't feel like much of a hunter-gatherer type. Lol. It is

considerably easier being gluten-free and vegetarian than gluten-free

and vegan, though. :) (Especially in restaurants!!!)

-

> I don't do well as a vegetarian. I think many of us with celiac have

the same experience although there are those exceptions. Part of being

closer to the Hunter Gatherer types of old.

>

I was getting glutened by the frappuccinos. I would order a caramel

frapp in a cleaned blender container. Generally, they would take the

container to the back, where they would put it through a hot rinse

cycle - however, this still didn't do the trick.

One of the Starbucks had even provided me with my own container - it

said " No Gluten Allowed " with a list of what had gluten in it.. But

one day, it disappeared and then reappeared the next day. I asked

where it went and someone said " Oh, they put some drink in it and it

was sitting in the fridge. I think it was a java chip frapp. " Well,

that incident pretty much summed it all up. The staff did such a good

job TRYING to understand what gluten was and why I couldn't come in

contact with it, but the fact of the matter - they don't have Celiac

and they don't have to be concerned about cross-contamination. Plus,

if you just observe them making drinks, it's easy to see how quick CC

can happen.

One time, I watched as one barista put whip cream on my frapp, then

put whip cream on a java chip frapp and proceeded to put whip cream on

a pumpkin spice latte - all with the same whip cream canister, all

with the tip pointing down and touching the drink. So, I think

Starbucks, unfortunately, is ripe for CC.

Trust me, it was a hard day when I had to say goodbye to my

frappuccinos. But I feel A LOT better without them.

>

> From: Crystal <CiZellagmail (DOT) <mailto:CiZella@...> com>

>

> Subject: [ ] Re: Oh Sugar. Help!

> @ <mailto: >

>

> Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 6:25 PM

>

>

>

> Bea,

>

> Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll definitely give Stevia a

> try. When did you realize you were sensitive to sugar?

>

> Yeah, I was planning on giving the oven a good bath before using it.

> I've been tossing around the idea of doing the self-clean option, but

> I'm not that lazy.. I think :P

>

> Hmm.. molasses.. Any particular brand?

>

> .

>