RemedySpot.com

Re:Luna Bar - contains oats

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bob's Red Mill now has both GF rolled oats and GF steel-cut oats. Be sure to look for the GF label -- their other oats aren't GF.

Lara Bars are pretty good, and they're GF. The pistachio flavor is my favorite, as it isn't quite as sweet as the fruits. The fruits, such as "Cherry Pie" are quite good, but usually I want something a little blander, a little less sweet. I haven't tried the various chocolate flavors they make.

There are quite a few GF energy bars available now; it's risky to eat oat-based bars.

H.

In a message dated 12/30/08 3:18:06 PM, vdolcourt@... writes:

As a general recommendation, it is a good idea to stay from oats in commercial products unless that product claims to be made with gluten free oats (haven't seen those yet). Commercial oats contain a percentage of wheat or barley, and oats are often rotated with barley in the field in the US. I've looked for references regarding the percentage of contamination, and I'm not able to locate references. Therefore, I won't quote a speculative number.

There are brands of certified GF oats, and Columbia University recommends Country Choice and McCann's. I've personally had success with both of these brands, but they are not certified GF. Both are available at TJs.

**************One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Mail. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025)

As a general recommendation, it is a good idea to stay from oats in commercial products unless that product claims to be made with gluten free oats (haven't seen those yet). Commercial oats contain a percentage of wheat or barley, and oats are often rotated with barley in the field in the US. I've looked for references regarding the percentage of contamination, and I'm not able to locate references. Therefore, I won't quote a speculative number.There are brands of certified GF oats, and Columbia University recommends Country Choice and McCann's. I've personally had success with both of these brands, but they are not certified GF. Both are available at TJs.There are a number of energy bars available, and Luna makes Nectar bars which are GF but totally different because they are fruit-nut bars. Take a tour of Trader Joes, and you will see some

nice tasting GF energy bars, but none with oats.Hope this helps,Vic