RemedySpot.com

Re: eating out at Dish-dash in Sunnyvale etc.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sorry to hear about this.

However, keep in mind that malt vinegar contains gluten. As far as I know, white vinegar (distilled) does not.

I love yogurt with cucumber; I eat it with a spoon or fork, depending on the consistency.

H.

In a message dated 8/10/08 5:39:49 PM, beagarth@... writes:

I ordered a yogurt with cucumber appetizer; little did I realize they would put (no doubt white vinegar made) pickles and olives in it plus it required a bread to use it properly

**************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos. (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

I am one of those with celiac that reacts to distilled white (wheat/barley etc.) vinegar as well as distilled grain (wheat/barley etc.) spirits of any kind--even from someone else giving me a kiss. It makes dating a bit challenging you might say. I only had a small taste of the yogurt/cucumber mixture but I guess it was enough...though like I implied, my reaction could have been from anything--even from the mint tea.Unfortunately there wasn't the amount of cucumber in the appetizer I thought they would have. It obviously was meant as a dip for the pita bread.BeaFrom: flatcat9@... <flatcat9@...>Subject: Re: [ ] eating

out at Dish-dash in Sunnyvale etc. Date: Sunday, August 10, 2008, 5:43 PM

Sorry to hear about this.

However, keep in mind that malt vinegar contains gluten. As far as I know, white vinegar (distilled) does not.

I love yogurt with cucumber; I eat it with a spoon or fork, depending on the consistency.

H.

In a message dated 8/10/08 5:39:49 PM, beagarth (DOT) com writes:

I ordered a yogurt with cucumber appetizer; little did I realize they would put (no doubt white vinegar made) pickles and olives in it plus it required a bread to use it properly

************ **Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos. (http://autos. aol.com/cars- BMW-128-2008/ expert-review? ncid=aolaut00050 000000017 )

Hi Bea,

I had the Lamb salad, grape leaves and hummus (with my own carrots) from dishdash last Friday and had no problems at all. Sorry that it ruined your birthday.

Happy belated!

----- Original Message ----From: Beatrice Garth <beagarth@...> Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:39:25 PMSubject: [ ] eating out at Dish-dash in Sunnyvale etc.

I find eating out so very difficult. I am amazed at how people prod me to do it and once again I end up suffering as a result. What crock!So, yes, once again I got talked into it and once again I got hammered, at a place supposedly "safe"according to someone on this list serve. Dish-dash in Sunnyvale. I liked the chicken and supposedly got the "safe" shish kabob. For all I know I reacted to the real mint someone with gluteny hands put in the tea. Someone also automatically put pita bread on our table, and my mother and brother with Down's started eating it despite them also having celiac. I had to take it away from them and washed my hands afterwards. I ordered a yogurt with cucumber appetizer; little did I realize they would put (no doubt white vinegar made) pickles and olives in it plus it required a bread to use it properly. This two plus two matter was not explained.Afterwards when I got home I took various enzymes to

counteract whatever potential effect which I am sure helped: enterically coated pro-biotics, bromelain/papain, and pancreatin. I was OK at first but woke up all stuffy headed and achey.I have reacted worse but nevertheless its not very nice at all to have to spend the next day wasted and having to sleep away the afternoon and feel like I have a hangover just because I had a meal. If I had to go out I should have gone to PF Changs. Happy Birthday, humph! there were so many other things I wanted to do today...especially with such perfect weather out and a busy week ahead. Live and learn I guess. Really I just need to learn to say no and mean it. No doubt you all have similar stories.Bea

Thanks for the sentiment. Am glad Dish Dash worked for you. Unfortunately I am also allergic to lamb, carrots and sesame so the lamb and hummus wouldn't have worked for me. Eating out didn't ruin my birthday, just the day after....am feeling a little depressed I have to admit -- which seems to be part of the syndrome. The achiness seems to have finally passed. At least this time I did not get D.I may just be too sensitive to eat at a restaurant safely these days in any place that is at all questionable. The good news is that overall I feel so much better than I used to -- so its generally worth it to be on such a strict diet despite it being a bummer eating out.I am pretty sure I am not alone in this state, even if it does feel a little isolating. BeaFrom: Lowles <heather.lowles@...>Subject: Re: [ ] eating out at Dish-dash in Sunnyvale etc. Date: Sunday, August 10, 2008, 11:04 PM

Hi Bea,

I had the Lamb salad, grape leaves and hummus (with my own carrots) from dishdash last Friday and had no problems at all. Sorry that it ruined your birthday.

Happy belated!

----- Original Message ----From: Beatrice Garth <beagarth (DOT) com> Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:39:25 PMSubject: [ ] eating out at Dish-dash in Sunnyvale etc.

I find eating out so very difficult. I am amazed at how people prod me to do it and once again I end up suffering as a result. What crock!So, yes, once again I got talked into it and once again I got hammered, at a place supposedly "safe"according to someone on this list serve. Dish-dash in Sunnyvale. I liked the chicken and supposedly got the "safe" shish kabob. For all I know I reacted to the real mint someone with gluteny hands put in the tea. Someone also automatically put pita bread on our table, and my mother and brother with Down's started eating it despite them also having celiac. I had to take it away from them and washed my hands afterwards. I ordered a yogurt with cucumber appetizer; little did I realize they would put (no doubt white vinegar made) pickles and olives in it plus it required a bread to use it properly. This two plus two matter was not explained.Afterwards when I got home I took various enzymes to

counteract whatever potential effect which I am sure helped: enterically coated pro-biotics, bromelain/papain, and pancreatin. I was OK at first but woke up all stuffy headed and achey.I have reacted worse but nevertheless its not very nice at all to have to spend the next day wasted and having to sleep away the afternoon and feel like I have a hangover just because I had a meal. If I had to go out I should have gone to PF Changs. Happy Birthday, humph! there were so many other things I wanted to do today...especially with such perfect weather out and a busy week ahead. Live and learn I guess. Really I just need to learn to say no and mean it. No doubt you all have similar stories.Bea

Hi Pam,I hope what you say is right. My eldest sister is similarly sensitive to everything. It would be nice to know that both of us could become more "normal". She has been strictly off all trace gluten for more than two years and still is extremely sensitive to trace glutens. She is more sensitive to various allergens than I am actually, even to things like salicylates too (found in most herbs). Although she can eat some nuts, eggs and fruits whereas these days I don't do well on any of that.My understanding about the vinegar is that white distilled vinegar is made from a combination of grains but is so much distilled its OK for most people with celiac. However there's that 20% of people with celiac that distilled white vinegar and distilled glutenous grain alcohols are not OK, like for my sister and me. It may

also be

that I am reacting to the fermented content since I have difficulty with most all fermented things except yogurt. We are very sensitive as a family after all. I had a great uncle who was so allergic to everything the only place he felt comfortable was in the middle of the ocean. And another relative a couple of generations ago who died from malabsorption as a teenager....Plus my 93 year old mother was diagnosed with sprue as a four year old--which she then ignored as an adult and unfortunately did not have the wherewithal to figure out what was going on with her children despite our often distended bellies etc. etc. The funny thing is is that I have had a far from a protected life and really am not very neurotic. However with all this eating out difficulty etc. it makes me seem like I really am. As said, I am certain many with celiac feel similarly. BeaFrom: Pam Newbury

<pknewbury@...>Subject: [ ] eating out at Dish-dash in Sunnyvale etc. Date: Monday, August 11, 2008, 7:56 PM

Hi Beatrice, I have know celiacs who were as sensitive as you are who eventually

recovered enough to eat out more normally. I hope this is the way it goes

for you. I think the key to getting through the hard stuff is the “live

and learn” part. At least you can tell when you get accidental

gluten and are learning lots about it. When I first started dealing with this I checked all vinegars I

encountered and never found one made with wheat or barley (except

malted). Most distilled vinegars were made from corn (is this an allergen

for you?). Glad to hear the birthday was happy even if the day after wasn’t.

Hope you are feeling better. Pam