RemedySpot.com

Soy Sauce

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear All,

I just found out I had celiac disease and have many questions.

Can you please tell me if soy sauce is allowed? If this is true then aren't

Asian restaurants

good places to dine out? Please advise!

I'm delighted to discover your group and look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you!!

(illustrator in San )

Most soy sauce contains wheat. Certainly, the soy sauce used by most restaurants is likely to contain wheat. Some Asian restaurants prep dishes with soy sauce beforehand, so it can be difficult to avoid it.

If you are able to find Asian restaurants that can assure you that they can prepare GF dishes, you can take along your own bottle of GF tamari sauce. Always read the labels -- at least one brand says

"wheat-free", and it is -- but the ingredients include barley.

I ate in a non-Asian restaurant fish restaurant in Vancouver that prepares many of its dishes in woks. They told me they'd be glad to prepare a certain wokked dish without soy sauce, and that they always scrub the woks between dishes, but that the surface of the wok was likely to retain gluten.

it gets easier.

H.

When you cook at home, you can use certain brands of wheat-free tamari.

In a message dated 9/6/08 3:29:45 PM, brookescudder@... writes:

Dear All,

Can you please tell me if soy sauce is allowed? If this is true then aren't Asian restaurants

Thank you!!

**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

You're probably thinking of LaChoy soy sauce, which I think doesn't taste at all like soy sauce -- just some sort of salty, nasty, chemical mix. Don't waste your money on trying out a bottle, in my opinion.

H.

In a message dated 9/6/08 3:39:26 PM, ddarcy@... writes:

Soy sauce has wheat in it. There is a brand that is gluten-free, but most restaurants do not use that brand. Sorry for the bad news! (PF Chang's has a GF menu though, and some Thai places do not use soy sauce in some dishes.)

Best of luck, and feel free to keep asking questions!

**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

In a message dated 9/6/08 3:57:44 PM, ddarcy@... writes:

The one we buy is San-J Organic Tamari Wheat Free Soy Sauce; Reduced Sodium. It says certified GF gluten free on the label. The ingredients are: water, organic soybeans, salt, and organic alcohol (to preserve freshness). It also says that it is made in a plant that is inspected by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization www.gfco.org.

This works well for us, and recent blood tests have also proven that it must be quite safe.

Best,

Yes, that's the one I use most of the time. My mistake. Tamari sauce is a particular form of soy sauce. It's darker and stronger-tastiing than what most of us in this country have gotten used to thinking of as "soy sauce", but it's the original form.

Occasionally I see recipes that call for tamari sauce and for soy sauce -- as two separate ingredients. If I want to use that recipe and think the taste will be affected, I substitute water or some bland liquid for some of the tamari.

I sometimes buy a brewed tamari sauce that contains nothing but soy beans, salt, and water. It's made in the U.S. The name is Japanese, and I always have to go to the bottle and write it down exactly. I'm away from home just now. I get it at Real Foods on Fillmore.

In a message dated 9/6/08 3:57:44 PM, ddarcy@... writes:

The one we buy is San-J Organic Tamari Wheat Free Soy Sauce; Reduced Sodium. It says certified GF gluten free on the label. The ingredients are: water, organic soybeans, salt, and organic alcohol (to preserve freshness). It also says that it is made in a plant that is inspected by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization www.gfco.org.

This works well for us, and recent blood tests have also proven that it must be quite safe.

Best,

Soy sauce has wheat in it. There is a brand that is gluten-free, but most restaurants do not use that brand. Sorry for the bad news! (PF Chang's has a GF menu though, and some Thai places do not use soy sauce in some dishes.)

Best of luck, and feel free to keep asking questions!

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of scudderartSent: Friday, September 05, 2008 4:34 PM Subject: [ ] Soy Sauce

Dear All,I just found out I had celiac disease and have many questions. Can you please tell me if soy sauce is allowed? If this is true then aren't Asian restaurants good places to dine out? Please advise!I'm delighted to discover your group and look forward to hearing more from you. Thank you!!(illustrator in San )

No, not that one.

The one we buy is San-J Organic Tamari Wheat Free Soy Sauce; Reduced Sodium. It says certified GF gluten free on the label. The ingredients are: water, organic soybeans, salt, and organic alcohol (to preserve freshness). It also says that it is made in a plant that is inspected by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization www.gfco.org.

This works well for us, and recent blood tests have also proven that it must be quite safe.

Best,

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of flatcat9@...Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 3:44 PM Subject: Re: [ ] Soy Sauce

You're probably thinking of LaChoy soy sauce, which I think doesn't taste at all like soy sauce -- just some sort of salty, nasty, chemical mix. Don't waste your money on trying out a bottle, in my opinion. H.In a message dated 9/6/08 3:39:26 PM, ddarcystanfordalumni (DOT) org writes:

,Soy sauce has wheat in it. There is a brand that is gluten-free, but most restaurants do not use that brand. Sorry for the bad news! (PF Chang's has a GF menu though, and some Thai places do not use soy sauce in some dishes.)Best of luck, and feel free to keep asking questions!**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.(http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

PF Changs has a safe gluten free menu if you ask for it. Generally however if you have a fav restaurant you have to go talk to the cooks and owner before hand so they really get the drill. And even then you need to remind them--and bring your own wheat and gluten free soy sauce.BeaFrom: scudderart <brookescudder@...>Subject: [ ] Soy Sauce Date: Friday, September 5, 2008, 4:34 PM

Dear All,

Can you please tell me if soy sauce is allowed? If this is true then aren't Asian restaurants

Thank you!!

(illustrator in San )

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but if you're ever up in San Francisco, Zadin's has a bunch of gluten free Vietnamese dishes. They even serve Red Bridge.On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Beatrice Garth <beagarth@...> wrote:

PF Changs has a safe gluten free menu if you ask for it. Generally however if you have a fav restaurant you have to go talk to the cooks and owner before hand so they really get the drill. And even then you need to remind them--and bring your own wheat and gluten free soy sauce.

Bea

From: scudderart <brookescudder@...>Subject: [ ] Soy Sauce

Date: Friday, September 5, 2008, 4:34 PM

Dear All,

Thank you!!

(illustrator in San )

-- Groovy SquaredE-mail: keith@...Mobile: (650)799-2665

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Also very interesting article.

However, I am one of the people who cannot

tolerate soy sauce. Last time I was glutened (by a small splash of Hoisin

containing soy sauce), I was sick for three days, and even had to run to the

bathroom NINE times during an hour and a half business meeting.

After that experience, no power on earth

could EVER get me to test any soy sauce that has ever even been near wheat! ;-)

Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010

3:07 PM

celiac

Subject: [ ] soy sauce

Here's

another interesting article, this time about soy sauce:

http://www.soya.be/gluten-free-soy-sauce.php

I have noticed I do not have a reaction to small amounts of soy sauce.

Lori

" I wrestled with reality for 36 years, and I'm happy to say that I finally

won out over it. "

---Elwood P. Dowd