RemedySpot.com

Re: Sigmoidoscopy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ruth,

Consider it done. Boy, you're getting the fun stuff. Hope your prep wasn't to bad.

Let us know when you have your test results back.

Thinking and praying for you tonight.

• 5 years later...

Perhaps you mean sigmoidoscopy, which examines only the very lowest portion of the colon. Neither a sigmoidoscopy nor a colonoscopy will show celiac disease. For that, you need to have the upper intestine examined by means of an endoscopy.

By "malnourished", does your doctor mean thin or does he or she mean lacking in minerals, vitamins? One can be obese and have CD; it doesn't necessarily cause weight loss. However, blood tests often show low levels of iron, potassium, calcium, various vitamins. That's how my CD was suspected; I had no "visible" symptoms.

If your doctor is referring to weight, then you need to talk to a different, better-informed doctor about CD.

H.

In a message dated 9/11/08 11:04:05 AM, gflo185@... writes:

so i am having a stigmascopy done this monday and am very nervous...I have asked my doctor to test me for gluten intolerance and celiac disease...hes hesitant to test me for CD because he says i am not malnourished.

**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

Celiac.com can give you some explanation about weight and CD. I'm always amazed that doctors refuse a simple test. And, I'm deeply dismayed that some doctors still think that only thin people have CD. That's a dreadful degree and type of ignorance.

Yes, you must be eating a substantial amount of gluten for blood tests and/or biopsy to come back positive. Again, see celiac.com (or similar sites) for more information. Because I didn't know this, I began eating GF between my negative blood test and my biopsy. Nevertheless, my biopsy was positive for CD; so little healing had taken place that a false negative didn't result. My doctor did a follow-up biopsy six months later to verify the diagnosis.

H.

In a message dated 9/11/08 12:49:05 PM, gflo185@... writes:

I brought up my symptoms and my concerns to my doctor over a year ago, and he stated that since I am not malnourished (regarding weight) that he would not test me...so I decided to eliminate gluten on my own, and am doing a good job i suspect...but i'm sure some must still be being ingested, because I am still having stomach pains, diarahea, and other symptons...and yes, I meant sigmoidoscopy.I brought up my symptoms and my concerns to my doctor over a year ago, and he stateI b

my concern is ...that because I have been trying to follow a gluten free diet, that all the tests i'm doing will come back negative, cause there is no gluten in my system to check!!!  And I don't think i could endure incorporating gluten back into my system....I have a message into the gastroenterology department and I will try to explain to them what it is I feel i need...thank you for your help

Gee Zee Cakes

**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

I brought up my symptoms and my concerns to my doctor over a year ago, and he stated that since I am not malnourished (regarding weight) that he would not test me...so I decided to eliminate gluten on my own, and am doing a good job i suspect...but i'm sure some must still be being ingested, because I am still having stomach pains, diarahea, and other symptons...and yes, I meant sigmoidoscopy....I went back to my doctor and demanded lab work, stool samples and a colonoscopy....

my concern is ...that because I have been trying to follow a gluten free diet, that all the tests i'm doing will come back negative, cause there is no gluten in my system to check!!! And I don't think i could endure incorporating gluten back into my system....I have a message into the gastroenterology department and I will try to explain to them what it is I feel i need...thank you for your help

Gee Zee Cakes

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?... From nne on - "Return to Love"

From: flatcat9@... <flatcat9@...>Subject: Re: [ ] Sigmoidoscopy Date: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 12:37 PM

Perhaps you mean sigmoidoscopy, which examines only the very lowest portion of the colon. Neither a sigmoidoscopy nor a colonoscopy will show celiac disease. For that, you need to have the upper intestine examined by means of an endoscopy. By "malnourished" , does your doctor mean thin or does he or she mean lacking in minerals, vitamins? One can be obese and have CD; it doesn't necessarily cause weight loss. However, blood tests often show low levels of iron, potassium, calcium, various vitamins. That's how my CD was suspected; I had no "visible" symptoms.If your doctor is referring to weight, then you need to talk to a different, better-informed doctor about CD.H.In a message dated 9/11/08 11:04:05 AM, gflo185 (DOT) com writes:

so i am having a stigmascopy done this monday and am very nervous...I have asked my doctor to test me for gluten intolerance and celiac disease...hes hesitant to test me for CD because he says i am not malnourished.************ **Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.(http://www. stylelist. com/trends? ncid=aolsty00050 000000014)

From what I remember of our conversation

that morning while we were running to the ball park, I don’t think you

could either…

A diagnosis on paper is seriously not worth it…

Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008

12:49 PM

Subject: Re: [ ]

Sigmoidoscopy

And I don't think i

could endure incorporating gluten back into my system....

Gee Zee Cakes

" Our deepest fear is not that we are

inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is

our light, not our darkness that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to

be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to

be?... From nne on - " Return to Love "

--- On Thu, 9/11/08, flatcat9aol <flatcat9aol>

wrote:

<flatcat9aol>

Subject: Re: [ ] Sigmoidoscopy

Date: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 12:37 PM

Perhaps you mean

sigmoidoscopy, which examines only the very lowest portion of the colon.

Neither a sigmoidoscopy nor a colonoscopy will show celiac disease. For that,

you need to have the upper intestine examined by means of an endoscopy.

By " malnourished " , does your doctor mean thin or does he or she

mean lacking in minerals, vitamins? One can be obese and have CD; it doesn't

necessarily cause weight loss. However, blood tests often show low levels of

iron, potassium, calcium, various vitamins. That's how my CD was suspected; I

had no " visible " symptoms.

If your doctor is referring to weight, then you need to talk to a different,

better-informed doctor about CD.

H.

In a message dated 9/11/08 11:04:05 AM, gflo185 (DOT) com writes:

so i am having a

stigmascopy done this monday and am very nervous...I have asked my doctor to

test me for gluten intolerance and celiac disease...hes hesitant to test me

for CD because he says i am not malnourished.

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest

fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

(http://www. stylelist. com/trends? ncid=aolsty00050 000000014)