From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan

Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:20

PM

Subject: [ ] GF Ice

Cream

I came

across a wonderful little ice cream shop in North

Beach (San Francisco)

last night that I thought you all might be interested in.

They have a

book of all their GF flavors, so there is no guess work.

Also, all

their flavors are clearly labeled as to which have dairy & which do not.

Naia

520 Columbus (@ roughly Stockton)

(415)

677-9280

It was

heavenly.

They even

recycle everything, spoons included.

Oh, and you

can mix flavors, so you can have two flavors in the same dish for the same

price.

Guest guest

Maybe he just doesn't like ice cream. Or maybe he realized how easily ice cream parlor servings are cross-contaminated, or that GF ingredients may be overlooked in label-reading. Or maybe someone gave him incorrect information long ago, and he has it hooked in some cobwebbed corner of his brain. Or maybe he forgot that one can eat ice cream in a dish -- with no cone involved.

Certainly, people with CD can eat ice cream, if it's GF.

With lactose intolerance (which often accompanies CD), I found that more than a bite or two of ice cream made me ill. Now that I've healed from LI, I can eat a small serving. If I get piggy about it, I will be ill. I think that the fat level is a problem, with LI.

H.

In a message dated 7/28/08 10:21:31 AM, louise_gd@... writes:

Hi:

When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned ardently, "...and don't eat any ice cream." I couldn't figure out why? Unless it has cake, caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it? Even Vanilla?

Please advise,

Louise

**************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today. (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)

Guest guest

Make sure you email them to ask for their

GF list – some flavors DO contain gluten, like, sadly their chocolate

death or death chocolate (however it translates). It has cake in it.

Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:41

PM

Subject: RE: [ ] GF

Ice Cream

Thanks for the info. It is nice to see that it is also available at

some WFM locations and more locations closer to me.

http://gelaterianaia.com/?page_id=14/

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of Lillyth Denaghy

Keogh-Quillan

PM

Cream

I came

Beach (San Francisco)

last night that I thought you all might be interested in.

They have a

Also, all

Naia

520 Columbus (@ roughly Stockton)

(415)

677-9280

It was

heavenly.

They even

Oh, and you

price.

Guest guest

Hi:When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned ardently, "...and don't eat any ice cream." I couldn't figure out why? Unless it has cake, caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it? Even Vanilla?Please advise,Louise Louise Audellart + designlouiseaudell.com(510) 531-4607----- Original Message ----From: Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeogh@...> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 8:27:18

AMSubject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Make sure you email them to ask for their

GF list – some flavors DO contain gluten, like, sadly their chocolate

death or death chocolate (however it translates). It has cake in it.

PM

Ice Cream

some WFM locations and more locations closer to me. http://gelaterianai a.com/?page_ id=14/

On Behalf Of Lillyth Denaghy

Keogh-Quillan

PM

Cream

I came

across a wonderful little ice cream shop in North Beach ( San Francisco )

last night that I thought you all might be interested in. They have a

book of all their GF flavors, so there is no guess work. Also, all

their flavors are clearly labeled as to which have dairy & which do not. Naia 520 Columbus (@ roughly Stockton ) (415)

677-9280 It was

heavenly. They even

recycle everything, spoons included. Oh, and you

price.

Guest guest

That doesn't make sense. Then again I'm dairy free as well, so ice cream is generally a no-no for me.I did find a really good recipe for raw ice cream though. It's actually pretty good! I posted it to my blog:http://www.wasabimon.com/archive/andys-amazing-vanilla-raw-ice-cream-base/No dairy, no gluten, no nothing. In fact, it's mostly cashews.On Jul 28, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Louise Audell wrote:Hi:When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned ardently, "...and don't eat any ice cream." I couldn't figure out why? Unless it has cake, caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it? Even Vanilla?Please advise,Louise Louise Audellart + designlouiseaudell.com(510) 531-4607----- Original Message ----From: Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeoghcomcast (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 8:27:18 AMSubject: RE: [ ] GF Ice CreamMake sure you email them to ask for their GF list – some flavors DO contain gluten, like, sadly their chocolate death or death chocolate (however it translates). It has cake in it. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of GroffSent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:41 PM Subject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream Thanks for the info. It is nice to see that it is also available at some WFM locations and more locations closer to me.http://gelaterianai a.com/?page_ id=14/ From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-QuillanSent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:20 PM Subject: [ ] GF Ice Cream I came across a wonderful little ice cream shop in North Beach ( San Francisco ) last night that I thought you all might be interested in. They have a book of all their GF flavors, so there is no guess work. Also, all their flavors are clearly labeled as to which have dairy & which do not. Naia520 Columbus (@ roughly Stockton )(415) 677-9280 It was heavenly. They even recycle everything, spoons included. Oh, and you can mix flavors, so you can have two flavors in the same dish for the same price. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^me: Stiavettimail: steph@...eats: http://www.wasabimon.com

Guest guest

Our daughter's doctor told us that dairy, esp milk and ice cream, could be difficult for her to digest for several months until the damaged villi heal. He recommended Lactaid milk, which she likes and which doesn't bother her. She takes Lactaid pills if she eats dairy ice cream, but this doesn't always work well enough and she does sometimes get stomach aches from ice cream. She stayed away from cheese for a couple months, but now it seems she can eat it.

Maybe because ice cream is typically so rich in dairy, fat, and sugar this makes it the hardest for damaged intestines to handle until healed. (And once healed, you do need to check ingredients, etc. carefully for sources of gluten. All brands and flavors are not equal, of course.)

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Louise AudellSent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:18 AM Subject: Re: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Hi:When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned ardently, "...and don't eat any ice cream." I couldn't figure out why? Unless it has cake, caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it? Even Vanilla?Please advise,Louise

Louise Audellart + designlouiseaudell.com(510) 531-4607

----- Original Message ----From: Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeoghcomcast (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 8:27:18 AMSubject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Make sure you email them to ask for their GF list – some flavors DO contain gluten, like, sadly their chocolate death or death chocolate (however it translates). It has cake in it.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of GroffSent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:41 PM Subject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Thanks for the info. It is nice to see that it is also available at some WFM locations and more locations closer to me.

http://gelaterianai a.com/?page_ id=14/

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-QuillanSent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:20 PM Subject: [ ] GF Ice Cream

I came across a wonderful little ice cream shop in North Beach ( San Francisco ) last night that I thought you all might be interested in.

They have a book of all their GF flavors, so there is no guess work.

Also, all their flavors are clearly labeled as to which have dairy & which do not.

Naia

520 Columbus (@ roughly Stockton )

(415) 677-9280

It was heavenly.

They even recycle everything, spoons included.

Oh, and you can mix flavors, so you can have two flavors in the same dish for the same price.

Guest guest

I had to cut out dairy a few times after

being diagnosed. The lactase enzyme got destroyed along with everything

when I was first sick. I can now eat some yogurts and cheese no problem,

but milk and ice cream still are a no.

Luna & larry’s Coconut Bliss “Ice

Cream” is delicious!!! It’s Oraganic, Vegan, Dairy, Soy &

Gluten Free with a low Glycemic. I buy it at New Leaf and Staff of Life

down here in the santa cruz

area, but I hear it’s available in whole foods. The Mint Galactica

is just like mint chocolate chip!

http://www.coconutbliss.com/index.html

Guest guest

I don't understand a couple of things. Can you elaborate?

". . . You can't fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. . ."

Why not?

"Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. "

Why can't she get better? I healed completely. Of course, an AD is never "cured", but the villii can heal.

"My daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice cream or gluten. . . "

Is your daughter lactose-intolerant?

"This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is followed by people with CD, Crohns, Colitis, and the like. No grain of any type and no fluid of any type at all."

Why no grain of any type and any fluid at all?

H.

In a message dated 7/28/08 9:57:05 PM, melbatavia@... writes:

Your daughter should not eat ice cream if it upsets her stomach. You can't fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. My daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice cream or gluten.  Look for GF/lactose free ice cream @ Whole Foods or your local natural food store.

This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is followed by people with CD, Crohns, Colitis, and the like. No grain of any type and no fluid of any type at all.

**************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today. (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)

Guest guest

Your doctor is misinformed. There are GF ice creams out there. You just gotta look. If you are not lactose-intolerant, then ice cream will be ok.

good luck.

--If it's urgent, call me!! I don't check my email everyday! Batavia 1102 Warfield Avenue Piedmont, CA 94610 510-465-2555 home 510-418-7696 cell

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Louise Audell <louise_gd@...>

Hi:When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned ardently, "...and don't eat any ice cream." I couldn't figure out why? Unless it has cake, caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it? Even Vanilla?Please advise,Louise

----- Original Message ----From: Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeoghcomcast (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 8:27:18 AMSubject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Make sure you email them to ask for their GF list – some flavors DO contain gluten, like, sadly their chocolate death or death chocolate (however it translates). It has cake in it.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of GroffSent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:41 PM Subject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Thanks for the info. It is nice to see that it is also available at some WFM locations and more locations closer to me.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-QuillanSent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:20 PM Subject: [ ] GF Ice Cream

I came across a wonderful little ice cream shop in North Beach ( San Francisco ) last night that I thought you all might be interested in.

Also, all their flavors are clearly labeled as to which have dairy & which do not.

Naia

(415) 677-9280

It was heavenly.

Oh, and you can mix flavors, so you can have two flavors in the same dish for the same price.

Guest guest

Your daughter should not eat ice cream if it upsets her stomach. You can't fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. My daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice cream or gluten. Look for GF/lactose free ice cream @ Whole Foods or your local natural food store.

This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is followed by people with CD, Crohns, Colitis, and the like. No grain of any type and no fluid of any type at all.

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "D Darcy" <ddarcy@...>

Our daughter's doctor told us that dairy, esp milk and ice cream, could be difficult for her to digest for several months until the damaged villi heal. He recommended Lactaid milk, which she likes and which doesn't bother her. She takes Lactaid pills if she eats dairy ice cream, but this doesn't always work well enough and she does sometimes get stomach aches from ice cream. She stayed away from cheese for a couple months, but now it seems she can eat it.

Maybe because ice cream is typically so rich in dairy, fat, and sugar this makes it the hardest for damaged intestines to handle until healed. (And once healed, you do need to check ingredients, etc. carefully for sources of gluten. All brands and flavors are not equal, of course.)

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Louise AudellSent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:18 AM Subject: Re: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Naia

(415) 677-9280

It was heavenly.

Guest guest

What do you mean 'no fluid of any type'?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, melbatavia@... wrote:

> Your daughter should not eat ice cream if it upsets her stomach. You can't

fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune

disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. My daughter has CD

as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice cream or gluten.

Look for GF/lactose free ice cream @ Whole Foods or your local natural food

store.

>

> This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the

Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is followed by people with CD, Crohns,

Colitis, and the like. No grain of any type and no fluid of any type at all.

>

> -------------- Original message --------------

> From: " D Darcy " <ddarcy@...>

> Our daughter's doctor told us that dairy, esp milk and ice cream, could be

difficult for her to digest for several months until the damaged villi heal. He

recommended Lactaid milk, which she likes and which doesn't bother her. She

takes Lactaid pills if she eats dairy ice cream, but this doesn't always work

well enough and she does sometimes get stomach aches from ice cream. She stayed

away from cheese for a couple months, but now it seems she can eat it.

>

> Maybe because ice cream is typically so rich in dairy, fat, and sugar this

makes it the hardest for damaged intestines to handle until healed. (And once

healed, you do need to check ingredients, etc. carefully for sources of gluten.

All brands and flavors are not equal, of course.)

>

>

>

>

>

>

> From: [mailto: ] On

Behalf Of Louise Audell

> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:18 AM

>

> Subject: Re: [ ] GF Ice Cream

>

>

>

> Hi:

>

> When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned ardently,

" ...and don't eat any ice cream. " I couldn't figure out why? Unless it has cake,

caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it? Even Vanilla?

>

> Please advise,

> Louise

>

>

> Louise Audell

> art + design

> louiseaudell.com

> (510) 531-4607

>

>

>

>

> ----- Original Message ----

> From: Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeogh@...>

>

> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 8:27:18 AM

> Subject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

>

>

> Make sure you email them to ask for their GF list – some flavors DO contain

gluten, like, sadly their chocolate death or death chocolate (however it

translates). It has cake in it.

>

>

>

>

> From: [mailto:

] On Behalf Of Groff

> Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:41 PM

>

> Subject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

>

> Thanks for the info. It is nice to see that it is also available at some WFM

locations and more locations closer to me.

> http://gelaterianai a.com/?page_ id=14/

>

>

>

>

> From: [mailto:

] On Behalf Of Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan

> Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:20 PM

>

> Subject: [ ] GF Ice Cream

>

> I came across a wonderful little ice cream shop in North Beach ( San Francisco

) last night that I thought you all might be interested in.

>

> They have a book of all their GF flavors, so there is no guess work.

>

> Also, all their flavors are clearly labeled as to which have dairy & which do

not.

>

> Naia

> 520 Columbus (@ roughly Stockton )

> (415) 677-9280

>

> It was heavenly.

>

> They even recycle everything, spoons included.

>

> Oh, and you can mix flavors, so you can have two flavors in the same dish for

the same price.

>

>

>

--

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

J. Stiavetti

mail: steph@...

eats: http://www.wasabimon.com

'Perhaps they were right in putting love into books,' he thought quietly.

'Perhaps it could not live anywhere else.'

Guest guest

Just wanted to comment that some people like my mother and myself must have an easily absorbed source of B-1. Otherwise we have beri beri like symptoms and great difficulty fully digesting protein and carbohydrates in our intestines. This ravages the nervous system as well and makes it difficult to sleep etc. To counteract this I now take co-enzyme B vitamins (tablets without sorbitol)--away from food so the b vitamins can go directly into the blood stream. For me it has made a revolutionary difference in my health. I still have difficulty with sugars and if I eat a lot of carbs or too much protein. However I am now way better despite having had celiac almost my entire life and not really knowing it unti recently (I am now almost 59). Bea--- On Mon, 7/28/08, flatcat9@... <flatcat9@...>

wrote:From: flatcat9@... <flatcat9@...>Subject: Re: [ ] GF Ice Cream Date: Monday, July 28, 2008, 11:39 PM

I don't understand a couple of things. Can you elaborate?

". . . You can't fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. . ."

Why not?

"Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. "

Why can't she get better? I healed completely. Of course, an AD is never "cured", but the villii can heal.

"My daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice cream or gluten. . . "

Is your daughter lactose-intolerant?

"This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is followed by people with CD, Crohns, Colitis, and the like. No grain of any type and no fluid of any type at all."

Why no grain of any type and any fluid at all?

H.

In a message dated 7/28/08 9:57:05 PM, melbataviacomcast (DOT) net writes:

Your daughter should not eat ice cream if it upsets her stomach. You can't fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. My daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice cream or gluten. Look for GF/lactose free ice cream @ Whole Foods or your local natural food store.

************ **Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today. (http://www. fanhouse. com/fantasyaffai r?ncid=aolspr000 50000000020)

Guest guest

I'd really like to know about the "no fluids" situation.

H.

In a message dated 7/29/08 10:22:56 AM, ddarcy@... writes:

And of course, fluids are absolutely essential, should one prefer to avoid death. ;-)  ( I assume that must have been a typo, right?) :-)

Guest guest

No fluid?

As in, no WATER?!

How can that be good for you?

That sounds dangerous to me…

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:57

PM

Ice Cream

Your daughter should not eat ice cream if it upsets her stomach. You

can't fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. Celiac Disease is an

autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. My

daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice

cream or gluten. Look for GF/lactose free ice cream @ Whole Foods or your

local natural food store.

This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the

-------------- Original message --------------

Our daughter's doctor told us that dairy,

esp milk and ice cream, could be difficult for her to digest for several months

until the damaged villi heal. He recommended Lactaid milk, which she likes and

which doesn't bother her. She takes Lactaid pills if she eats dairy ice cream,

but this doesn't always work well enough and she does sometimes get stomach

aches from ice cream. She stayed away from cheese for a couple months, but now

it seems she can eat it.

Maybe because ice cream is typically so

rich in dairy, fat, and sugar this makes it the hardest for damaged intestines

to handle until healed. (And once healed, you do need to check ingredients,

etc. carefully for sources of gluten. All brands and flavors are not equal, of

course.)

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:18

AM

Subject: Re: [ ] GF

Ice Cream

Hi:

When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned ardently,

" ...and don't eat any ice cream. " I couldn't figure out why? Unless

it has cake, caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it? Even

Vanilla?

Please advise,

Louise

Louise Audell

art + design

louiseaudell.com

(510) 531-4607

----- Original Message

----

From: Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeoghcomcast (DOT) net>

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 8:27:18 AM

Subject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Make sure you email them to ask for their GF list – some

flavors DO contain gluten, like, sadly their chocolate death or death chocolate

(however it translates). It has cake in it.

] On Behalf

Of Groff

PM

@ groups.

com

Ice Cream

some WFM locations and more locations closer to me.

http://gelaterianai

a.com/?page_ id=14/

] On Behalf

Of Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan

PM

@ groups.

com

Cream

I came

Beach ( San Francisco ) last night that I thought you

all might be interested in.

They have a

Also, all

Naia

520 Columbus (@ roughly Stockton

)

(415)

677-9280

It was

heavenly.

They even

Oh, and you

can mix flavors, so you can have two flavors in the same dish for the same price.

Guest guest

I have found I cannot tolerate grain of

any type either.

According to the folks at the Stanford Celiac

Conference two years ago, folks with Celiac all fall somewhere on the ‘cannot

tolerate grain’ spectrum. Most just can’t handle the “typical”

ones. However, 20% cannot tolerate even GF oats, and have a celiac-like reaction to them.

I have found that corn makes be bloat up

overnight, and rice causes me physical pain to digest, so I just stay away from

all grains, as a general rule.

Also, according to Dr. Mercola, celiacs

need to be very careful of their grain consumption as we are prone to being

unable to process them. (See his “No Grain Diet”)…

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 11:43

PM

Ice Cream

I meant to write " Why no grain of any type and no fluid of any type any

all? "

I also wanted to ask how old your daughter is.

H.

Guest guest

Louise

I am not sure when you were diagnosed but must ice creams contain

modified food starch which used to be on the no no list. Since then they

have taken it off the list if produced in the USA or Canada but it is

still a problem if it is imported. If you were diagnosed recently then

your doctor still is relying on older information and need to be

updated. Breyer's was one of the few brands I could eat before unless it

had something like cookie dough or brownies or something like that in it.

Another reason is that often people with celiac disease also have

lactose intolerance. If he told you to avoid other dairy products this

could be the reason why.

Mark

In a message dated 7/28/08 10:21:31 AM, louise_gd@...

<mailto:louise_gd%40> writes:

>

> Hi:

>

> When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned

ardently,

> " ...and don't eat any ice cream. " I couldn't figure out why? Unless

it has

> cake, caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it?

Even Vanilla?

>

> Please advise,

> Louise

>

Guest guest

Lactaid pills contain the same enzyme your body manufactures to digest lactose -- it's the lactase enzyme. It does work exactly the same way as the lactase our body makes -- it is the same thing. However, it is likely the quantity and timing of action is different. At times when she takes 2 pills rather than just one, that works better. She is not lactose intolerant -- her body does make lactase naturally. But since her villi are still damaged (recent diagnosis -- 5 months), it helps her to add more lactase (with the pills) if she eats ice cream so that the lactose gets well digested prior to reaching the duodenum (the damaged upper intestine). It's quite safe to use these pills (and the brand name version is GF.)

For now we have cut back her ice cream portions, and we've also bought non-dairy substitutes, however I'm not about to tell a 9-yr old girl not to eat regular ice cream ever, knowing that she is not lactose-intolerant, and knowing that this is not affecting the healing of her villi. She's dealing with enough other disappointments -- pizza, cupcakes, cakes, etc.. -- at all those birthday parties, school lunches, and class parties while watching her friends eat what they want. I instead tell her to take 2 Lactaid pills with the ice cream. She understands not to take a big serving, and she sometimes prefers not to eat any at all, but I leave that up to her. And we do know very well to make sure that the ice cream is GF, thanks. She understands that too, and she won't eat a brand or flavor she doesn't know. I would not call this "testing the waters", but simply allowing her to be as normal a kid as possible. No further damage is being done to her by this.

Her villi will heal, then she will likely be able to stop adding extra lactase with pills. Time will tell. I know that sadly CD doesn't ever get better, thanks. But the villi do heal as long as gluten is strictly avoided. Lactose has nothing to do with the mechanism of CD's autoimmune disorder; i.e. the extra permeability of the duodenum which allows gliadin to trigger the auto-immune response which in turn attacks the villi. Only gluten (gliadin) affects that.

She does very well with all non-gluten (gliadin) grains such as corn and rice, and all the GF flours, thanks. We are very careful to avoid cross-contamination. We never "test the waters" with gluten.

And of course, fluids are absolutely essential, should one prefer to avoid death. ;-) ( I assume that must have been a typo, right?) :-)

Have a great day and thanks for your concern!

Best wishes,

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of melbatavia@...Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:57 PM Subject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "D Darcy" <ddarcystanfordalumni (DOT) org>

Naia

(415) 677-9280

It was heavenly.

Guest guest

Hi ,

Just a note of encouragement--our daughter was lactose intolerant at first,

until her villi healed after about 6 mos. on the gluten free diet. So at first,

like you, we gave her Lactaid, but eventually she was able to digest lactose

just fine. :)

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tue 7/29/2008 10:22 AM

Lactaid pills contain the same enzyme your body manufactures to digest

lactose -- it's the lactase enzyme. It does work exactly the same way as the

lactase our body makes -- it is the same thing. However, it is likely the

quantity and timing of action is different. At times when she takes 2 pills

rather than just one, that works better. She is not lactose intolerant --

her body does make lactase naturally. But since her villi are still damaged

(recent diagnosis -- 5 months), it helps her to add more lactase (with the

pills) if she eats ice cream so that the lactose gets well digested prior to

reaching the duodenum (the damaged upper intestine). It's quite safe to use

these pills (and the brand name version is GF.)

For now we have cut back her ice cream portions, and we've also bought

non-dairy substitutes, however I'm not about to tell a 9-yr old girl not to

eat regular ice cream ever, knowing that she is not lactose-intolerant, and

knowing that this is not affecting the healing of her villi. She's dealing

with enough other disappointments -- pizza, cupcakes, cakes, etc.. -- at all

those birthday parties, school lunches, and class parties while watching her

friends eat what they want. I instead tell her to take 2 Lactaid pills with

the ice cream. She understands not to take a big serving, and she sometimes

prefers not to eat any at all, but I leave that up to her. And we do know

very well to make sure that the ice cream is GF, thanks. She understands

that too, and she won't eat a brand or flavor she doesn't know. I would not

call this " testing the waters " , but simply allowing her to be as normal a

kid as possible. No further damage is being done to her by this.

Her villi will heal, then she will likely be able to stop adding extra

lactase with pills. Time will tell. I know that sadly CD doesn't ever get

better, thanks. But the villi do heal as long as gluten is strictly avoided.

Lactose has nothing to do with the mechanism of CD's autoimmune disorder;

i.e. the extra permeability of the duodenum which allows gliadin to trigger

the auto-immune response which in turn attacks the villi. Only gluten

(gliadin) affects that.

She does very well with all non-gluten (gliadin) grains such as corn and

rice, and all the GF flours, thanks. We are very careful to avoid

cross-contamination. We never " test the waters " with gluten.

And of course, fluids are absolutely essential, should one prefer to avoid

death. ;-) ( I assume that must have been a typo, right?) :-)

Have a great day and thanks for your concern!

Best wishes,

_____

On Behalf Of melbatavia@...

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:57 PM

Your daughter should not eat ice cream if it upsets her stomach. You can't

fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. Celiac Disease is an

autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. My

daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice

cream or gluten. Look for GF/lactose free ice cream @ Whole Foods or your

local natural food store.

This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the

-------------- Original message --------------

Our daughter's doctor told us that dairy, esp milk and ice cream, could be

difficult for her to digest for several months until the damaged villi heal.

He recommended Lactaid milk, which she likes and which doesn't bother her.

She takes Lactaid pills if she eats dairy ice cream, but this doesn't always

work well enough and she does sometimes get stomach aches from ice cream.

She stayed away from cheese for a couple months, but now it seems she can

eat it.

Maybe because ice cream is typically so rich in dairy, fat, and sugar this

makes it the hardest for damaged intestines to handle until healed. (And

once healed, you do need to check ingredients, etc. carefully for sources of

gluten. All brands and flavors are not equal, of course.)

_____

On Behalf Of Louise Audell

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:18 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] GF Ice Cream

Hi:

When I was first diagnosed with CD, I recall my doctor mentioned ardently,

" ...and don't eat any ice cream. " I couldn't figure out why? Unless it has

cake, caramel, malt, etc. in it, why wouldn't I be able to eat it? Even

Vanilla?

Please advise,

Louise

Louise Audell

art + design

louiseaudell.com

(510) 531-4607

----- Original Message ----

From: Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeogh@...>

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 8:27:18 AM

Make sure you email them to ask for their GF list - some flavors DO contain

gluten, like, sadly their chocolate death or death chocolate (however it

translates). It has cake in it.

_____

com ] On Behalf Of Groff

Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:41 PM

Thanks for the info. It is nice to see that it is also available at some WFM

locations and more locations closer to me.

<http://gelaterianaia.com/?page_id=14/>

_____

com ] On Behalf Of Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan

Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:20 PM

Subject: [ ] GF Ice Cream

I came across a wonderful little ice cream shop in North Beach ( San

Francisco ) last night that I thought you all might be interested in.

Also, all their flavors are clearly labeled as to which have dairy & which

do not.

Naia

(415) 677-9280

It was heavenly.

Oh, and you can mix flavors, so you can have two flavors in the same dish

for the same price.

Guest guest

My guess is the “no fluids”

means avoiding drinks/liquid/fluids that contain grain (not just alcoholic, but

ricemilk, etc.)

Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:15

AM

Ice Cream

I'd really like to know

about the " no fluids " situation.

H.

In a message dated 7/29/08 10:22:56 AM, ddarcystanfordalumni (DOT) org writes:

And of course, fluids

are absolutely essential, should one prefer to avoid death. ;-) ( I

assume that must have been a typo, right?) :-)

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy

Football today.

(http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)

Guest guest

Sorry, I meant no fluid milk.

--If it's urgent, call me!! I don't check my email everyday! Batavia 1102 Warfield Avenue Piedmont, CA 94610 510-465-2555 home 510-418-7696 cell

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan" <lillythdenaghykeogh@...>

No fluid?

As in, no WATER?!

How can that be good for you?

That sounds dangerous to me…

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of melbataviacomcast (DOT) netSent: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:57 PM Subject: RE: [ ] GF Ice Cream

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "D Darcy" <ddarcystanfordalumni (DOT) org>

Naia

(415) 677-9280

It was heavenly.

Guest guest

1 - I have never met anyone who was completely satisifed with Lactaid pills.

2 - Yes, the villi can heal; but heal does not equal 'cure.' Celiac is for life, and, I believe should be viewed in that manner...like diabetes.

3 - Yes, my daughter is lactose-intolerant. Breyers makes a delicious lactose-free vanilla now that is available @ Whole Foods and some boutique type stores, even some Safeways. She also really enjoys Ciaobella chocolate sorbet.

4 - Re: the Specific Carbo Diet - I recommend you Google it and look for Elaine Gotschall (sp?), a biochemist (now deceased), who sort of pioneered bringing the diet to the mainstream. The science is really well explained on any of these SCD websites. I'm still learning myself.

5 - I meant no fluid milk. Again, part of the science of the diet.

I know everyone is different. I have my own dietary issues; but my basic overall practice, which I say in earnest to my daughter, family, friends, etc is that there is nothing in this world that is so delicious that one would risk compromising one's health.

This group has been very helpful to my family; but the truth is, there are no shortcuts; and life isn't fair sometimes. I read the research from the Clan site, and a few GF newsletters. I try to make my daughter's life as normal as possible. She has educated her friends; we have educated our family. But everything needs constant repetition.

And for everyday that she feels healthy and confident, the 'sacrifices' (altho I don't look at it that way) are well worth it.

Good luck to everyone.

-------------- Original message -------------- From: flatcat9@...

I don't understand a couple of things. Can you elaborate?". . . You can't fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. . ."Why not?"Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. "Why can't she get better? I healed completely. Of course, an AD is never "cured", but the villii can heal."My daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice cream or gluten. . . "Is your daughter lactose-intolerant?"This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is followed by people with CD, Crohns, Colitis, and the like. No grain of any type and no fluid of any type at all."Why no grain of any type and any fluid at all?H.In a message dated 7/28/08 9:57:05 PM, melbataviacomcast (DOT) net writes:

Your daughter should not eat ice cream if it upsets her stomach. You can't fool mother nature with Lactaid pills either. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder. She will never get better, she can only manage it. My daughter has CD as well and she does not 'test' the waters, either with ice cream or gluten. Look for GF/lactose free ice cream @ Whole Foods or your local natural food store.This is just an honest assessment. We are now dealing with taking on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is followed by people with CD, Crohns, Colitis, and the like. No grain of any type and no fluid of any type at all.************

WBR>**Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.(http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)