RemedySpot.com

Udupi Palace in SF - YUM!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Just checked out this new South Indian restaurant on Valencia near 21st. Many of you may be familiar w/ Dosa a few doors away. Udupi also has a fabulous assortment of dosas (many which are gluten free) and Uthappam (all gluten free - they swear). (However, I did not ask about CC since I'm not that sensitive.) A big difference between the 2 restaurants, however, is the price. Udupi is A LOT less expensive.

I had the tomato omelette uthappam, a chickpea flour pancake w/ tomatoe and spices. It came w/ 3-4 yummy chutneys and what I think is a type of dal soup. The presentation and quality were on par w/ Dosa. Portions were also huge. Atmosphere was nice. Service was great. Our waiter talked we us about the differences between Northern and Southern Indian cuisine.

Other pluses - they're open for lunch (Dosa isn't). I love Dosa, but can't always afford to go, so I'm pretty happy to have found this place. Also, Dosa seems to always have a line, and they don't take reservations.

Drawbacks: they are vegetarian, and I'm a meat lover. However I found my pancake to be quite filling. Took half of it home bc/ I was too full.

I look forward to reading others' reviews of other menu items. Bon Apetit!!

SWant to do more with Windows Live? Learn “10 hidden secrets” from . Learn Now