RemedySpot.com

RE: cleaning a wok, was Fabulous Soy Sauce!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've eaten from non-dedicated woks with no ill effects. All I'm saying is that they may be somewhat risky, just as non-dedicated cast-iron skillets are.

H.

In a message dated 12/13/08 12:34:19 PM, beagarth@... writes:

I ate at a Laotian/Thai restaurant where they used aluminum pots. I had them clean them thoroughly as well as wash their hands. It helped there was almost no one else in the restaurant probably. Normally I am extremely sensitive to any gluten residue -- but didn't react. I didn't bring any soy sauce so they just didn't use it. I had a chicken/broccoli/I ate at a Laotian/Thai restaurant wh

So I am wondering if aluminum is less absorbent of gluten than some metals...

Bea

**************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

No, I really don't believe that boiling vinegar works miracles. It may remove

burnt on residue or grease, but the rough texture of most woks has a huge amount

of tiny crevices that can collect particles, such as gluten, and there's no way

to be sure every crevice got emptied. The vinegar treatment may just loosen the

residue enough for it to come loose into the next thing cooked in that wok.

Those who do kitchen inspections and GF certifications for restaurants strongly

advise celiacs not to eat foods cooked in a wok that has had gluten in it

previously. However, everyone is free to make their own choices in the matter.

Maureen

> Thanks for your input! They used boiling distilled vinegar to clean the wok,

just as one would in cleaning a griddle. This actually does remove ANY and all

residue from the wok!

> Robin>

Vinegar is an acid. It is an effective cleaner, and is in fact recommended for

cleaning some home pulmonary devices. It would be at least as effective as

soap.

>

>

> > Thanks for your input! They used boiling distilled

> vinegar to clean the wok, just as one would in cleaning a

> griddle. This actually does remove ANY and all residue from

> the wok!

> > Robin>

Personally, before I'd eat something cooked in wok that had been repeatedly used

with gluten-containing sauces, I'd want something a whole lot MORE effective

that soap.

> >

> >

> > > Thanks for your input! They used boiling

> distilled

> > vinegar to clean the wok, just as one would in

> cleaning a

> > griddle. This actually does remove ANY and all

> residue from

> > the wok!

> > > Robin>

I ate at a Laotian/Thai restaurant where they used aluminum pots. I had them clean them thoroughly as well as wash their hands. It helped there was almost no one else in the restaurant probably. Normally I am extremely sensitive to any gluten residue -- but didn't react. I didn't bring any soy sauce so they just didn't use it. I had a chicken/broccoli/curry with coconut milk dish I think.So I am wondering if aluminum is less absorbent of gluten than some metals...Bea

> >

> >

> > > Thanks for your input! They used boiling

> distilled

> > vinegar to clean the wok, just as one would in

> cleaning a

> > griddle. This actually does remove ANY and all

> residue from

> > the wok!

> > > Robin>

Everything I read says to discard any cast iron pan that has been used for gluten. I didn't know that when I went GF, so I just cleaned my pans thoroughly and used them with no ill effect. I can't recommend that anyone else do that, and I wouldn't have done it if I'd seen warnings against it. These pans aren't expensive to replace.

If you are determined to keep a pan, perhaps for sentimental reasons, maybe using oven cleaner on the interior would lessen the risk of being glutened.

As for microbes eating the gluten -- maybe, I just don't know.

H.

In a message dated 12/15/08 10:25:59 AM, narenw@... writes:

I have a cast iron skillet which was handed down to me a while ago, and I'm sure it had gluten on it at some time or another.  I would like to start using it and I'm not sure if a thorough cleaning is necessary or not.  This thing hasn't been used for 20, 30 years maybe.  Does anyone know if there are microbes that break down gluten over that timespan?

Thanks,

Naren

**************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

I have a cast iron skillet which was handed down to me a while ago, and I'm sure it had gluten on it at some time or another. I would like to start using it and I'm not sure if a thorough cleaning is necessary or not. This thing hasn't been used for 20, 30 years maybe. Does anyone know if there are microbes that break down gluten over that timespan?

Thanks,NarenOn Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:40 PM, <flatcat9@...> wrote:

I've eaten from non-dedicated woks with no ill effects. All I'm saying is that they may be somewhat risky, just as non-dedicated cast-iron skillets are.

H.

In a message dated 12/13/08 12:34:19 PM, beagarth@... writes:

I ate at a Laotian/Thai restaurant where they used aluminum pots. I had them clean them thoroughly as well as wash their hands. It helped there was almost no one else in the restaurant probably. Normally I am extremely sensitive to any gluten residue -- but didn't react. I didn't bring any soy sauce so they just didn't use it. I had a chicken/broccoli/I ate at a Laotian/Thai restaurant wh

So I am wondering if aluminum is less absorbent of gluten than some metals...

Bea

If you simply boil white distilled vinegar in the pan it will break down and remove any and all residue in the pan. You may have to do it several times. If the residue remains around the rim use oven cleaner and it will remove it. Robinrobin@... On Dec 15, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Naren Wadhwani wrote:I have a cast iron skillet which was handed down to me a while ago, and I'm sure it had gluten on it at some time or another. I would like to start using it and I'm not sure if a thorough cleaning is necessary or not. This thing hasn't been used for 20, 30 years maybe. Does anyone know if there are microbes that break down gluten over that timespan?Thanks,NarenOn Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:40 PM, <flatcat9aol> wrote:I've eaten from non-dedicated woks with no ill effects. All I'm saying is that they may be somewhat risky, just as non-dedicated cast-iron skillets are. H.In a message dated 12/13/08 12:34:19 PM, beagarth writes:I ate at a Laotian/Thai restaurant where they used aluminum pots. I had them clean them thoroughly as well as wash their hands. It helped there was almost no one else in the restaurant probably. Normally I am extremely sensitive to any gluten residue -- but didn't react. I didn't bring any soy sauce so they just didn't use it. I had a chicken/broccoli/I ate at a Laotian/Thai restaurant whSo I am wondering if aluminum is less absorbent of gluten than some metals...Bea**************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

btw i haven't had a problem with pans I have cleaned with vinegar and oven cleaner, i've had NO reaction personally. Good luck! Robinrobin@... On Dec 15, 2008, at 10:51 AM, flatcat9@... wrote:Everything I read says to discard any cast iron pan that has been used for gluten. I didn't know that when I went GF, so I just cleaned my pans thoroughly and used them with no ill effect. I can't recommend that anyone else do that, and I wouldn't have done it if I'd seen warnings against it. These pans aren't expensive to replace.If you are determined to keep a pan, perhaps for sentimental reasons, maybe using oven cleaner on the interior would lessen the risk of being glutened.As for microbes eating the gluten -- maybe, I just don't know.H.In a message dated 12/15/08 10:25:59 AM, narenwgmail writes:I have a cast iron skillet which was handed down to me a while ago, and I'm sure it had gluten on it at some time or another. I would like to start using it and I'm not sure if a thorough cleaning is necessary or not. This thing hasn't been used for 20, 30 years maybe. Does anyone know if there are microbes that break down gluten over that timespan?Thanks,Naren**************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

*Remember…there are some people that will never have a reaction

and only experience silent damage (I’m not one of those people, just wanted to

send out the reminder)

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Robin

Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 11:02 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] cleaning a wok, was Fabulous Soy Sauce!

btw i haven't had a problem with pans I have cleaned with vinegar and oven

cleaner, i've had NO reaction personally. Good luck!

Robin

robin@...

I've been fine too--thank goodness! My one le Creuset skillet makes

me SOOO happy, I bought it a couple of years ago when debating which

was the healthiest way to go, after tossing coated pots and pans.

Replacing it would cost a lot more that I could handle right now!

Thanks!

www.NaturallyDahling.com

--- In , " Wallace " <AWallace@...>

wrote:

>

> *Remember...there are some people that will never have a reaction

and

> only experience silent damage (I'm not one of those people, just

wanted

> to send out the reminder)

>

>

>

> From:

> [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Robin

> Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 11:02 AM

>

> Subject: Re: [ ] cleaning a wok, was Fabulous Soy Sauce!

>

>

>

> btw i haven't had a problem with pans I have cleaned with vinegar

and

> oven cleaner, i've had NO reaction personally. Good luck!

>

> Robin

>

> robin@...

>