RemedySpot.com

Re: Bra?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Jeri,I know how you feel...its been about 3 years now since I have had the surgery and I still have a problem with bras...I can handle a back fastener for about 3 hours then its painful and driving me nuts...about a year maybe a year afterwards I started wearing a sports bra...they tend to work better for me than the back fasteners...my ortho surgeon told me that front fasteners work great also I guess its a matter of preference...Take care and God bless!Allie bocce_fun <bocce@...> wrote: Pre-surgery workup on Jan 14... I'm working

furiously to write down every possible question that I can think of. Here's one you all may be able to answer for me better than Dr. Tribus... How soon were you able to wear a standard bra with fasteners in back? I'm VERY uncomfortable w/o a bra! I won't go into much detail, but I absolutely HATE jiggling when I walk! I'm dreading hospital and early rehab life without a bra just about as much as I'm dreading the whole surgery and recovery time! If I have any choice at all, the very first thing I want to learn is how to put on a bra! Maybe nursing bras would be the way to go just to keep the fasteners away from the incision... I have a great deal of neck/shoulder fatigue and pain, and the plan is to fuse T4-T5. If you were fused in the upper thorasic area,how soon was it before you could fasten a standard bra by yourself? Thanks for your experience/advice on this seemingly

unimportant issue! Jeri

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I guess I learned to put on my bra backwards when I was younger. I have always fastened it in the front and then spun it around to the back and then pulled the straps over my arms.

I was only fused up to L1 so I was able to wear a bra as soon as I got dressed to leave the hospital. I guess it will depend on your incision. My doctor used some sort of special glue over my incision so I didn't have to worry about it getting wet or anything. I was able to shower right away. So it will depend on how your doctor does it.

Peggy

[ ] Bra?

Pre-surgery workup on Jan 14... I'm working furiously to write down every possible question that I can think of.Here's one you all may be able to answer for me better than Dr. Tribus...How soon were you able to wear a standard bra with fasteners in back?I'm VERY uncomfortable w/o a bra! I won't go into much detail, but I absolutely HATE jiggling when I walk!I'm dreading hospital and early rehab life without a bra just about as much as I'm dreading the whole surgery and recovery time! If I have any choice at all, the very first thing I want to learn is how to put on a bra!Maybe nursing bras would be the way to go just to keep the fasteners away from the incision...I have a great deal of neck/shoulder fatigue and pain, and the plan is to fuse T4-T5. If you were fused in the upper thorasic area,how soon was it before you could fasten a standard bra by yourself?Thanks for your experience/advice on this seemingly unimportant issue! Jeri

Thought I'd chime in here just a bit...

That's also the way I've always put my bra on - it is how I saw my mom do it when I was young (but she always had her back facing us to not expose her bosoms(sp?) - but when it was training bra time for me, I didn't even think about any other means of putting it on - and I don't recall seeing optional front fastening bras back then (I am 53 yrs. old) - then in the '80's when I started having panic attacks (not scoliosis related) I started wearing the front closure bras so I could quickly unfasten them when I was getting anxious, or experiencing a panic attack, feeling like I was having a heart attack - but that is a whole different issue but with front fastening bras coming to the rescue)!

About bras, one thing I noticed when I first started wearing them, was that they didn't fit uniformly and wouldn't stay in place - my bra strap on my right shoulder would always fall (so I'd keep adjusting that strap) and it would ride-up on my right side around my ribs, both front and back - little did I know then that it wasn't the construction of the bras that caused that - it was the construction of my torso - the scoliosis - and to this day that's something that always happens when I wear a bra. I would assume this would be something common that all of us have experienced?

I also have to admit, that unless I am going out somewhere (which is seldom) or if someone is coming over (also seldom) I just don't wear a bra. I don't like to wear one, never did. I do wear tops though!

And if I might just throw in one comment about something in a different thread about hair - to cut or not to cut - again, Peggy's comments were exactly the same as my thoughts - I had long(er) hair before I started the series of surgeries over the past few years and the first time I got it cut for what I thought would be for "simplicity's sake", I also had it layered some so I'd have some lift - boy did I ever regret that - so in my opinion, long and without layers - plain and simple - is the least maintenance style I've experienced - and, men, at least in my experience, prefer longer hair - even if short hair looks better, ... not that is relevant to us doing what we need to do to deal with the changes during recuperating from the big surgery - but just an observation from my experience(s).

LiindaG

[ ] Bra?

Pre-surgery workup on Jan 14... I'm working furiously to write down every possible question that I can think of.Here's one you all may be able to answer for me better than Dr. Tribus...How soon were you able to wear a standard bra with fasteners in back?I'm VERY uncomfortable w/o a bra! I won't go into much detail, but I absolutely HATE jiggling when I walk!I'm dreading hospital and early rehab life without a bra just about as much as I'm dreading the whole surgery and recovery time! If I have any choice at all, the very first thing I want to learn is how to put on a bra!Maybe nursing bras would be the way to go just to keep the fasteners away from the incision...I have a great deal of neck/shoulder fatigue and pain, and the plan is to fuse T4-T5. If you were fused in the upper thorasic area,how soon was it before you could fasten a standard bra by yourself?Thanks for your experience/advice on this seemingly unimportant issue! Jeri

Hi Jeri,

When I had my fusion done back in 98, another patient friend of mine put me on a wonderful bra that has no hooks or elastic that rolls or cuts into you. You pull it on over you head and it feels like you don't even had it on. I got it out of the Carol catalog on the internet. When I bought mine they were 2 for $8.00. I just looked them up online and now they are 2/12.99, but they are worth it. They are similar to a sport bra, but they have cups and won't flatten you out. More feminine too. You could get them shipped express in time for your surgery, or regular mail and you should have them by the time you go home from the hospital. You won't need it before then anyway.

http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail & seq_no=7 & min_seq_no=105 & SingleItem=67389

I'll be praying for you

Pat E. from Texas

Hi Pat,

Thanks so much for the tip! The link you sent didn't work for some

reason, but I just typed in the Item # and found it just fine.

And the the price sounds very reasonable. :-)

Jeri

>

> Hi Jeri,

>

> When I had my fusion done back in 98, another patient friend of

mine put me on a wonderful bra that has no hooks or elastic that

rolls or cuts into you. You pull it on over you head and it feels

like you don't even had it on. I got it out of the Carol

catalog on the internet. When I bought mine they were 2 for $8.00.

I just looked them up online and now they are 2/12.99, but they are

worth it. They are similar to a sport bra, but they have cups and

won't flatten you out. More feminine too. You could get them

shipped express in time for your surgery, or regular mail and you

should have them by the time you go home from the hospital. You

won't need it before then anyway.

>

> http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?

mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail & seq_no=7 & min_seq_no=105 & SingleItem=67389

>

> I'll be praying for you

> Pat E. from Texas

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

------------

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

------------

>

>

> Pre-surgery workup on Jan 14... I'm working furiously to write

down

> every possible question that I can think of.

>

> Here's one you all may be able to answer for me better than Dr.

> Tribus...

>

> How soon were you able to wear a standard bra with fasteners in

back?

> I'm VERY uncomfortable w/o a bra! I won't go into much detail,

but I

> absolutely HATE jiggling when I walk!

>

> I'm dreading hospital and early rehab life without a bra just

about

> as much as I'm dreading the whole surgery and recovery time! If I

> have any choice at all, the very first thing I want to learn is

how

> to put on a bra!

>

> Maybe nursing bras would be the way to go just to keep the

fasteners

> away from the incision...

>

> I have a great deal of neck/shoulder fatigue and pain, and the

plan

> is to fuse T4-T5. If you were fused in the upper thorasic

area,how

> soon was it before you could fasten a standard bra by yourself?

>

> Thanks for your experience/advice on this seemingly unimportant

> issue! Jeri

>

Hi Jeri,

Let us all know how you like it. The bra is so comfortable you can wear it to sleep in if necessary. I always hate when a visitor comes in the hospital room and I have to cover up because I don't have a bra on and I'm drooping downward....ha.ha.

Pat

Hi Pat,Thanks so much for the tip! The link you sent didn't work for some reason, but I just typed in the Item # and found it just fine.And the the price sounds very reasonable. :-)Jeri>> Hi Jeri,> > When I had my fusion done back in 98, another patient friend of mine put me on a wonderful bra that has no hooks or elastic that rolls or cuts into you. You pull it on over you head and it feels like you don't even had it on. I got it out of the Carol catalog on the internet. When I bought mine they were 2 for $8.00. I just looked them up online and now they are 2/12.99, but they are worth it. They are similar to a sport bra, but they have cups and won't flatten you out. More feminine too. You could get them shipped express in time for your surgery, or regular mail and you should have them by the time you go home from the hospital. You won't need it before then anyway.> > http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail & seq_no=7 & min_seq_no=105 & SingleItem=67389> > I'll be praying for you> Pat E. from Texas> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------> > > Pre-surgery workup on Jan 14... I'm working furiously to write down > every possible question that I can think of.> > Here's one you all may be able to answer for me better than Dr. > Tribus...> > How soon were you able to wear a standard bra with fasteners in back?> I'm VERY uncomfortable w/o a bra! I won't go into much detail, but I > absolutely HATE jiggling when I walk!> > I'm dreading hospital and early rehab life without a bra just about > as much as I'm dreading the whole surgery and recovery time! If I > have any choice at all, the very first thing I want to learn is how > to put on a bra!> > Maybe nursing bras would be the way to go just to keep the fasteners > away from the incision...> > I have a great deal of neck/shoulder fatigue and pain, and the plan > is to fuse T4-T5. If you were fused in the upper thorasic area,how > soon was it before you could fasten a standard bra by yourself?> > Thanks for your experience/advice on this seemingly unimportant > issue! Jeri>

I guess I am fortunate that my hairdresser not only knows that I

don't like to mess with my hair, but he is also a proponent of

natural styles that don't need blow drying or curling to avoid damage

to the hair. He plays with me hair to see what it will do naturally

and then designs the cut so all I have to do is wash it and run my

fingers through it and I am ready to go.

>

> And if I might just throw in one comment about something in a

different thread about hair - to cut or not to cut - again, Peggy's

comments were exactly the same as my thoughts - I had long(er) hair

before I started the series of surgeries over the past few years and

the first time I got it cut for what I thought would be

for " simplicity's sake " , I also had it layered some so I'd have some

lift - boy did I ever regret that - so in my opinion, long and

without layers - plain and simple - is the least maintenance style

I've experienced - and, men, at least in my experience, prefer longer

hair - even if short hair looks better, ... not that is relevant

to us doing what we need to do to deal with the changes during

recuperating from the big surgery - but just an observation from my

experience(s).

>

> LiindaG

Thanks, Pat! I hope I can wear it almost immediately after surgery.

I do sleep in a bra now... I hate hate hate feeling droopy no matter

what hour.

> >

> > Hi Jeri,

> >

> > When I had my fusion done back in 98, another patient friend of

> mine put me on a wonderful bra that has no hooks or elastic that

> rolls or cuts into you. You pull it on over you head and it feels

> like you don't even had it on. I got it out of the Carol

> catalog on the internet. When I bought mine they were 2 for

$8.00.

> I just looked them up online and now they are 2/12.99, but they

are

> worth it. They are similar to a sport bra, but they have cups and

> won't flatten you out. More feminine too. You could get them

> shipped express in time for your surgery, or regular mail and you

> should have them by the time you go home from the hospital. You

> won't need it before then anyway.

> >

> > http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?

>

mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail & seq_no=7 & min_seq_no=105 & SingleItem=67389

> >

> > I'll be praying for you

> > Pat E. from Texas

> >

> > ----------------------------------------------------------

> ------------

> >

> > ----------------------------------------------------------

> ------------

> >

> >

> > Pre-surgery workup on Jan 14... I'm working furiously to write

> down

> > every possible question that I can think of.

> >

> > Here's one you all may be able to answer for me better than Dr.

> > Tribus...

> >

> > How soon were you able to wear a standard bra with fasteners in

> back?

> > I'm VERY uncomfortable w/o a bra! I won't go into much detail,

> but I

> > absolutely HATE jiggling when I walk!

> >

> > I'm dreading hospital and early rehab life without a bra just

> about

> > as much as I'm dreading the whole surgery and recovery time! If

I

> > have any choice at all, the very first thing I want to learn is

> how

> > to put on a bra!

> >

> > Maybe nursing bras would be the way to go just to keep the

> fasteners

> > away from the incision...

> >

> > I have a great deal of neck/shoulder fatigue and pain, and the

> plan

> > is to fuse T4-T5. If you were fused in the upper thorasic

> area,how

> > soon was it before you could fasten a standard bra by yourself?

> >

> > Thanks for your experience/advice on this seemingly unimportant

> > issue! Jeri

> >

>

Hi Jeri, After I was put on the ortho. floor used camis with the shelf bras built in under my pjs and or shirts. Take care, Sheilabocce_fun <bocce@...> wrote: Pre-surgery workup on Jan 14... I'm working furiously to write down every possible question that I can think of.Here's one you all may be able to answer for me better than Dr. Tribus...How soon were you able to wear a standard bra with fasteners in back?I'm VERY uncomfortable w/o a bra! I won't go into much

detail, but I absolutely HATE jiggling when I walk!I'm dreading hospital and early rehab life without a bra just about as much as I'm dreading the whole surgery and recovery time! If I have any choice at all, the very first thing I want to learn is how to put on a bra!Maybe nursing bras would be the way to go just to keep the fasteners away from the incision...I have a great deal of neck/shoulder fatigue and pain, and the plan is to fuse T4-T5. If you were fused in the upper thorasic area,how soon was it before you could fasten a standard bra by yourself?Thanks for your experience/advice on this seemingly unimportant issue! Jeri

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for the tip. It hope it helps others, but it's probably not

for me.

I haven't gotten familiar with camis because I always think they're

too revealing and don't have enough structure to look decent on my

40DD body, and have never used shelf bras except in my seldom-used

swim suit!

Do you know if they make super dooper strong shelf bras? Sigh.

Thanks again. Jeri

> Pre-surgery workup on Jan 14... I'm working furiously to

write down

> every possible question that I can think of.

>

> Here's one you all may be able to answer for me better than Dr.

> Tribus...

>

> How soon were you able to wear a standard bra with fasteners in

back?

> I'm VERY uncomfortable w/o a bra! I won't go into much detail, but

I

> absolutely HATE jiggling when I walk!

>

> I'm dreading hospital and early rehab life without a bra just about

> as much as I'm dreading the whole surgery and recovery time! If I

> have any choice at all, the very first thing I want to learn is how

> to put on a bra!

>

> Maybe nursing bras would be the way to go just to keep the

fasteners

> away from the incision...

>

> I have a great deal of neck/shoulder fatigue and pain, and the plan

> is to fuse T4-T5. If you were fused in the upper thorasic area,how

> soon was it before you could fasten a standard bra by yourself?

>

> Thanks for your experience/advice on this seemingly unimportant

> issue! Jeri

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Search.