RemedySpot.com

vanilla?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This brings up a question I have had for a while. Which brands of vanilla extract are gluten-free? I am one of those sensitive ones that cannot tolerate alcohol distilled from from the bad grains. So I have just not used vanilla in my cooking for a while since "extract" usually means it is extracted using alcohol and generic 'alcohol' is usually grain alcohol.

Which brands of vanilla do others use?

Thanks,

----- Original Message ----From: Marciana R <marcianar@...> Sent: Monday, October 6, 2008 9:58:14 PMSubject: Re: [ ] bourbon vanilla?

From http://www.vanilla. com/html/ facts-extracts. html:"Bourbon vanilla is a generic term for Vanilla planifolia, the vanilla most of us are familiar with as it's the most commonly used variety in extracts. Vanilla planifolia stock originated in Mexico, vanilla's birthplace, but cuttings were taken to other tropical countries beginning in the 1700s. In the 1800s, the French developed large plantations on Reunion, known then as the Ile de Bourbon, which is how the name Bourbon came into being. Although vanilla extract is high in alcohol content, it is not made from Bourbon whiskey."So, no, there would not be gluten from the alcohol in Bourbon vanilla.Maureen>

From: Luther <l@...>> Subject: [ ] bourbon vanilla?> > Date: Monday, October 6, 2008, 9:35 PM> Just the other day I noticed that our vanilla extract and> vanilla> beans are both called "bourbon vanilla". It> occurred to me that they> may be soaked in some kind of gluten containing bourbon.> Does anyone> have the skinny on this? Are they safe? Or had I better> find some new> vanilla? Both are from Trader Joe's. Their no-gluten> list says> "vanilla extract (all)" but the word bourbon is> not anywhere in the> list. The whole beans are also from TJ's and they

are> not listed on> the no-gluten list.> > Anyway, I thought I'd check before I accidentally> created> gluten-containing gluten-free muffins with it.> > -Luther