RemedySpot.com

Prism Glasses

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Yes, we so vision therapy through Primary Eye Care in Macon with the vision therapist, Nutt. She is very good and very experienced. Jane -- Prism Glasses Is anyone using prism glasses for double vision? Our pediatrician said there was nothing we could do to correct double vision if was experiencing it. I didn't want to accept that, so I took him to Gottlieb Vision Group, and after testing, Dr. Houston said IS seeing double and he ordered prisms for him. We're going to do some further testing later on and possibly vision therapy. Has anyone had success with any of this?

Guest guest

How can you tell if your child is seeing double of

they cant tell you?

THANKS<

Robyn

--- Lanae Collier <lanaecollier@...> wrote:

> BlankIs anyone using prism glasses for double

> vision? Our pediatrician said there was nothing we

> could do to correct double vision if was

> experiencing it. I didn't want to accept that, so I

> took him to Gottlieb Vision Group, and after

> testing, Dr. Houston said IS seeing double

> and he ordered prisms for him. We're going to do

> some further testing later on and possibly vision

> therapy. Has anyone had success with any of this?

Guest guest

is preverbal with little receptive language, so I asked the same question before scheduling the appt. They have a special way of testing for double vision. The Gottlieb group has many years of experience with this kind of problem. We suspected might be seeing double because he looks out of the corners of his eyes some. He also squints or stims visually (we think) throughout the day. We know his eyesight is good, but he definitely has some visual issues.

Re: Prism Glasses

How can you tell if your child is seeing double ofthey cant tell you?THANKS<Robyn--- Lanae Collier <lanaecollier@...> wrote:> BlankIs anyone using prism glasses for double> vision? Our pediatrician said there was nothing we> could do to correct double vision if was> experiencing it. I didn't want to accept that, so I> took him to Gottlieb Vision Group, and after> testing, Dr. Houston said IS seeing double> and he ordered prisms for him. We're going to do> some further testing later on and possibly vision> therapy. Has anyone had success with any of this? __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Did you have success with this? What kind of visual issues did your son have? Any double vision?

Prism Glasses

Is anyone using prism glasses for double vision? Our pediatrician said there was nothing we could do to correct double vision if was experiencing it. I didn't want to accept that, so I took him to Gottlieb Vision Group, and after testing, Dr. Houston said IS seeing double and he ordered prisms for him. We're going to do some further testing later on and possibly vision therapy. Has anyone had success with any of this?

Guest guest

Thanks Deb, for how long do you have to wear them during the day? Do you have to wear them long-term or will you be able to stop using them eventually?

Re: Prism glasses

I just wanted to say I wear these type for my double vison. Helps a TON!

Deb Hanson

Savannah, GA

Guest guest

This may be a dumb question, but what do Prism Glasses look like? Do

they look like a normal pair of glasses?

Rome, Georgia

> Thanks Deb, for how long do you have to wear them during the day?

Do you have to wear them long-term or will you be able to stop using

them eventually?

> Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 11:57 AM

> Subject: Re: Prism glasses

> I just wanted to say I wear these type for my double vison. Helps

a TON!

> Deb Hanson

> Savannah, GA

Guest guest

, I didn't get a close look at them because fought us (myself and the optometrist) while we tried to put them on his face. We've ordered a pair and should get them soon, but from what I remember they looked like regular glasses except they were pretty thick. My fear is that it's going to be a BIG challenge to get him to keep them on for 30 minutes a day, and we paid $250 for them.

Re: Prism glasses> I just wanted to say I wear these type for my double vison. Helps a TON!> Deb Hanson> Savannah, GA

• 1 year later...

Years ago (probably 7 or 8) we took my son

to see the dr. that invented the prism glasses. He gave us a

demonstration and they do change your perspective without changing your

vision. It was really quite amazing. However, we did not get them

for our son. I was not convinced that the glasses would have helped

him. The good thing with the prism glasses is that you’ll know pretty

quickly if they will work for your child or not. If you’ve ever

seen a presentation by the dr. (I’m sorry that I forget his name), the

kids that the glasses work for are helped almost immediately.

Jeanne

Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007

2:44 PM

autism

Subject: Prism

Glasses

Anyone have any first-hand experience with the use of

prism glasses?

Good or bad, helped a little, helped a lot, etc...

Rome, GA

--

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.412 / Virus Database: 268.18.0/689 - Release Date: 2/15/2007

--

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.412 / Virus Database: 268.18.2/692 - Release Date: 2/18/2007

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Ok folks, I just had to tell you what I " unearthed " while cleaning out

a drawer the other day. Does anyone else remember their prism glasses

from the first surgery??? Why I kept them, no clue except they were

very convenient for lying down and watching TV. I got a chuckle out of

them (but also feared that fate was stepping in here...hmmm?) Anyway,

just wanted to share my " blast from the past " . Have a good day!

Luann

Guest guest

Luann, you'll be all set when/if you have revision surgery. Cool. They still make those. I bought some online last year while convalescing, and they were great for watching TV from my recliner. When I had my first surgery they let me use a pair in the hospital, but I didn't have them to take home. The ones I used had been repaired with glue and the smell made me nauseous. Such memories!

Sharon

[ ] Prism Glasses

Ok folks, I just had to tell you what I "unearthed" while cleaning out a drawer the other day. Does anyone else remember their prism glasses from the first surgery??? Why I kept them, no clue except they were very convenient for lying down and watching TV. I got a chuckle out of them (but also feared that fate was stepping in here...hmmm?) Anyway, just wanted to share my "blast from the past". Have a good day!Luann

Guest guest

Oh, wow, Debbie, I had the school intercom thing! Mine was in the form of a telephone, and I hated it. Each classroom change, the kids would crowd around it and yell, "Hi, Sharon!", and I got really self-conscious, because they knew who I was but I couldn't tell who was talking. I sort of felt I was being made-fun-of. So I clammed up. And math class was a joke. The sound of chalk on a blackboard hardly replaced seeing the equations, and who can stand to just listen to math? I'd doze off, and eventually stopped listening to morning classes, including math. Good thing I was only in 8th grade.

Sharon

RE: [ ] Prism Glasses

Oh my goodness, I had to laugh thinking about those prism glasses! I had my Harrington Rod surgery in 1967, those were such a great idea. I actually had a couple of styles, one was glasses with thick slanted lens, the other was the white plastic, case type with the mirrors inside. I liked the mirror one the best. I also went to school by an intercom system that was carried by a student from class to class. I could listen and talk to the class as well. What memories!!!DebbieOk folks, I just had to tell you what I "unearthed" while cleaning out a drawer the other day. Does anyone else remember their prism glasses from the first surgery??? Why I kept them, no clue except they were very convenient for lying down and watching TV. I got a chuckle out of them (but also feared that fate was stepping in here...hmmm?) Anyway, just wanted to share my "blast from the past". Have a good day!Luann

Guest guest

Oh, that's funny!! My surgery was in 1976 and we didn't have the

intercom thing. I was out of school for about 5 weeks and then went

back with my body cast. Also I noticed a lot of people here say they

wore the cast for 9 months but I wore mine for six months.

I think it would be fun to share some of the accomplishments we

endured wearing the cast! We are a special, strong group of people!!

I tried out for cheerleading in my cast and rode my 10 speed bike -

no easy task leaning forward for the gears and brakes! Celebrate

your strength!

Luann

>

> OK, I have to share my best story of the intercom--one of my

classes had a substitute teacher one day. So my classmates put the

intercom under a chair and told me to just say " here " when the

teacher called roll. I did, she said where, I said " here " , she said

where??? I said " under the chair " , then the class finally told her,

we all thought it was pretty funny!

>

> Debbie

>

> ________________________________

>

> From: on behalf of Sharon Green

> Sent: Tue 4/22/2008 8:48 PM

>

> Subject: Re: [ ] Prism Glasses

>

>

>

> Oh, wow, Debbie, I had the school intercom thing! Mine was in the

form of a telephone, and I hated it. Each classroom change, the kids

would crowd around it and yell, " Hi, Sharon! " , and I got really self-

conscious, because they knew who I was but I couldn't tell who was

talking. I sort of felt I was being made-fun-of. So I clammed up.

And math class was a joke. The sound of chalk on a blackboard hardly

replaced seeing the equations, and who can stand to just listen to

math? I'd doze off, and eventually stopped listening to morning

classes, including math. Good thing I was only in 8th grade.

>

> Sharon

>

>

> RE: [ ] Prism Glasses

>

>

> Oh my goodness, I had to laugh thinking about those prism

glasses! I had my Harrington Rod surgery in 1967, those were such a

great idea. I actually had a couple of styles, one was glasses with

thick slanted lens, the other was the white plastic, case type with

the mirrors inside. I liked the mirror one the best. I also went to

school by an intercom system that was carried by a student from class

to class. I could listen and talk to the class as well. What

memories!!!

>

> Debbie

>

> Ok folks, I just had to tell you what I " unearthed " while

cleaning out

> a drawer the other day. Does anyone else remember their prism

glasses

> from the first surgery??? Why I kept them, no clue except

they were

> very convenient for lying down and watching TV. I got a

chuckle out of

> them (but also feared that fate was stepping in here...hmmm?)

Anyway,

> just wanted to share my " blast from the past " . Have a good

day!

> Luann

>

Guest guest

I drove my brother's 1965 Mustang and/or my sister's VW and/or my parents' car. I drove the whole nine months. I learned to play fooz ball and pretty much played that on a regular basis. I had the 9 month riser(ritzer?) cast. The worst part was my hair tangling into knots in the back where the cast was. I remember a fly swatter that was made out of rubber/plastic (never got used to swat flies) - I immediately adopted it as a back scratcher. I'd hold on to the end with the butterfly and extend the long handle through the arm holes of the cast - gosh that felt good to scratch an itch! I had a friend that had small hands and she'd use the cosmetic cotton squares saturated in alcohol and swab my back. Ahh that was great too! I also remember some of the beads of plaster getting wedged between the cast and my skin at my waist line - very irritating. I had to watch the cheeseburgers - any weight gain in a non-expanding body cast .... well, we ALL have been there....

I say kudos to sitting in a desk at school and trying out for cheerleading and riding a 10 speed bike are quite awesome. I don't think I could have managed any of those. Mine was 1972 and I had it done age 17, summer right after graduating high school - the intercom, what "technology" - and I mean that sincerely...and that had to be tough to participate in a classroom that way.

I'm looking forward to hearing more experiences. Outside of this group, I only met two other scoli/body cast people, one in the hospital that had her surgery a few days before I did, then another who had already had it, was out of her cast ... of course she looked great.

G

RE: [ ] Prism Glasses> > > Oh my goodness, I had to laugh thinking about those prism glasses! I had my Harrington Rod surgery in 1967, those were such a great idea. I actually had a couple of styles, one was glasses with thick slanted lens, the other was the white plastic, case type with the mirrors inside. I liked the mirror one the best. I also went to school by an intercom system that was carried by a student from class to class. I could listen and talk to the class as well. What memories!!!> > Debbie> > Ok folks, I just had to tell you what I "unearthed" while cleaning out > a drawer the other day. Does anyone else remember their prism glasses > from the first surgery??? Why I kept them, no clue except they were > very convenient for lying down and watching TV. I got a chuckle out of > them (but also feared that fate was stepping in here...hmmm?) Anyway, > just wanted to share my "blast from the past". Have a good day!> Luann>

Guest guest

I think I may be the only one that has no idea what prism glasses are!

Tami

Oh my goodness, I had to laugh thinking about those prism glasses! I had my Harrington Rod surgery in 1967, those were such a great idea. I actually had a couple of styles, one was glasses with thick slanted lens, the other was the white plastic, case type with the mirrors inside. I liked the mirror one the best. I also went to school by an intercom system that was carried by a student from class to class. I could listen and talk to the class as well. What memories!!!DebbieOk folks, I just had to tell you what I "unearthed" while cleaning out a drawer the other day. Does anyone else remember their prism glasses from the first surgery??? Why I kept them, no clue except they were very convenient for lying down and watching TV. I got a chuckle out of them (but also feared that fate was stepping in here...hmmm?) Anyway, just wanted to share my "blast from the past". Have a good day!Luann

Guest guest

Dear Tami,

I never had them either, as I was lucky, at UCSF back in 73, I wasn't casted, I had a brace.

Guest guest

Tami,

Prism glasses allow you to see what is going on in front of

your feet while you are laying down looking at the ceiling. King

of like an angled mirror. Some of us had them when we had surgery

in the 60's and 70's and were doomed to our beds.

-- In , " Tami NEEVEL " <tmneevel@...>

wrote:

>

> I think I may be the only one that has no idea what prism glasses

are!

> Tami

> RE: [ ] Prism Glasses

>

>

> Oh my goodness, I had to laugh thinking about those prism

glasses! I had my Harrington Rod surgery in 1967, those were such a

great idea. I actually had a couple of styles, one was glasses with

thick slanted lens, the other was the white plastic, case type with

the mirrors inside. I liked the mirror one the best. I also went to

memories!!!

>

> Debbie

>

> Ok folks, I just had to tell you what I " unearthed " while

cleaning out

glasses

> from the first surgery??? Why I kept them, no clue except they

were

> very convenient for lying down and watching TV. I got a chuckle

out of

Anyway,

> just wanted to share my " blast from the past " . Have a good day!

> Luann

>

Guest guest

I was in bed with a cast from my shoulders to my knees for six months

and I didn't have any prism glasses. I had to roll over onto my side

to watch tv. I mostly listened to the radio and assembled craft

kits. I earned enough money to buy some nice tires and a new stereo

for my MGB!

>

> Oh my goodness, I had to laugh thinking about those prism glasses!

I had my Harrington Rod surgery in 1967, those were such a great

idea. I actually had a couple of styles, one was glasses with thick

slanted lens, the other was the white plastic, case type with the

mirrors inside. I liked the mirror one the best. I also went to

memories!!!

>

> Debbie

>

>

>

>

>

> Ok folks, I just had to tell you what I " unearthed " while cleaning

out

glasses

> from the first surgery??? Why I kept them, no clue except they were

> very convenient for lying down and watching TV. I got a chuckle out

of

Anyway,

> just wanted to share my " blast from the past " . Have a good day!

> Luann

>

Guest guest

Oh, it was for those in casts? I had a brace too. I was flat on my back for only about 5 days before I could sit up with my brace.

Tami

Guest guest

YIKES! How long were you in a body cast??? That would have driven me batty! I had a brace so I could go back to school. My daughter had her fusion w/ harrington rods (she had her last appt yesterday, I found out that the rods are a lot more bulky and the instramentation to hold them are too - then when I had them done) 3 1/2 years ago and she stood up the same day as her surgery and never wore a brace afterward.

Tami

[ ] Re: Prism Glasses

I didn't get to go to school, I was on bed rest with a full body cast in 75. I had tutors.

Guest guest

I had a tutor too, in addition to the hot line phone. As I recall she quizzed me on my English grammar and lent me a few books and that was that -- only saw her 2 or 3 times. I had school at the hospital, too, which was kind of fun. They'd even take me to school in bed if necessary.

I had the Risser too, but was only confined to bed for a total of about 4 months 1971-'72. Then I had 3 months in a lighter-weight "walking Risser", learned to walk all over again, and rode my bike in the cast. I was 13 so no driving. I had a mirror which is a good thing since I couldn't turn my head to check behind me. Fortunately my bike was a 3-speed touring bike -- no leaning forward. As luck would have it, the public health nurse arrived while I was riding it, and said if I was well enough to ride the bike I could go to school. So I had one miserable day of being stared at in that monstrosity and being unable to see the desk top. Then I went to get the cast off and received a plastic jacket brace. Like I couldn't have missed one more day of school! Yeah, the hair thing was awful, and the itchy skin. I used the knob end of a knitting needle to slip in and scratch. It always came out with flakes of dead skin on it. Yuck.

Sharon

I didn't get to go to school, I was on bed rest with a full body cast in 75. I had tutors.

Guest guest

Tami, I've noticed some doctors use the term "Harrington" much too loosely -- sort of a wastebasket name for any spinal rod. If your daughter had rods put in in 2004 I bet they're not true Harringtons. The Harrington rod was straight and was generally attached at top and bottom, then lengthened by some sort of ratcheting mechanism, placing what is known as distraction force on the spine. When used in the lumbar it caused flatback, and was replaced by better types of instrumentation.

I actually had a radiologist refer to my new rods as "Harrington" rods on his report. I know they aren't, but it bugs me that he used that term because a lot of people wouldn't know the difference.

Sharon

Guest guest

As far as bed rest for the whole time, or not - I think each doctor had their own set of discharge instructions and our parents/caretakers simply had to follow those rules. I wasn't ordered to be confined to bed (thank God) and really feel for everyone who was - it is bad enough to be in that cast but to have to lay flat, or if it was the same for everyone else as it was for me, if I woke up laying on my side, that arm that I was laying on would be asleep because the cast cut off the circulation at the arm hole.

I might have ridden a bike - my cast was sort'ove curved in where it ended (where my legs bend when I sit) and always irritated the nerves at the tops of my legs.

I remember seeing a photo in the newspaper about a girl in a cast (same surgery as ours) and played tennis - there she was, on the tennis court, in that thing, holding her tennis raquet. Then I remember hearing a story on the news about a girl (cast/surgery like ours) who had been hit by a car as she was crossing a street. She suffered someting like a broken arm and leg - but absolutely NO DAMAGE to the area in the cast - don't think that the cast even broke.

In 1962 I was in the second grade, and it was during the time when the polio vaccine had not been out too long, and the most "out of the norm" people I ever saw were those who were victims of polio. At that age, if I had seen someone in a body cast I would have been shocked, I'm afraid.

Funny, (really not funny though), but "back then" it was thought that we wouldn't be able to walk or heal without the cast, and the Harrington rod....and over the years I'd see once in a while on a news program how the technology was SLOWLY progressing and not being so radical.

But you never hear about the people like us - the pioneers and the problems we all share - same, identical (almost) story from beginning to failure. I'm glad they're getting better understanding and techniques. I guess if it weren't for us pioneers and the information gained from our surgeries, they'd not be still improving the procedures, etc.

So, though we'd rather not have "been there, done that" I guess we serve a purpose in medical history?! Maybe Oprah will rememer us while she's doing her big "give-aways" - I know I could use a couple hundred thousand dollars!

G

Guest guest

Tami, I didn't know what they were until I read discussions in here...see how much there is to learn?!