RemedySpot.com

Re: Re:Dosa (& corn tortillas)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've eaten at both Dosa and Udapi Palace and haven't had any problems. Both have wheat based dosas, but they are clearly marked on the menu. Dosa has a livelier, hip vibe and is a bit more pricey; Udapi is mellower and all vegetarian. It used to be that Dosa would be full with a lot of people waiting to be seated while Udapi was almost empty, but people seem to have realized that Udapi is great, too, so now both are busy...

I've been told at other Indian restaurants not to order the papadum even though they have no wheat; turns out they are concerned about how they are fried (in oil not dedicated to papadum). One place offered to bake them for me, and they tasted delicious. Now I ask for them to be baked everywhere and haven't had any problems.

Re: Corn tortillas. I ate at an upscale Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles last week (can't remember the name, but it was on Hollywood near Highland) and was told not to order the homemade corn tortillas because even though they are made of 100% corn flour, the person making them coats their hands in wheat flour to keep from sticking to the dough... A disappointment to be sure, but at least they knew to tell me. I don't know if this is an issue at other restaurants, but it definitely is an extra question to ask!

Tristan

In a message dated 12/2/08 10:23:41 AM, swoodsf@... writes:

Valencia St Dosa's menu indicates GF & non GF items (they have at least one wheat-based dosa but most are rice & lentil batters).   Many GF items to choose from but a bit pricey.  Uttapan Palace, on the next block, has veg only dosas, is much cheaper and just as tasty, maybe even more.  There might be more cross contamination issues there, for those who have immediate reactions to gluten exposure.

**************Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW AOL.com. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp & icid=aolcom40vanity & ncid=emlcntaolcom00000002)