RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: gf flour mix

Rate this topic

Guest guest

KC, do you mean that you're allergic to rice and therefore can't use Gifts of Nature flour?

H.

In a message dated 10/28/08 7:48:01 PM, rooneys86@... writes:

thanks I checked it out but it has brown rice and two other rice

flours. so I cant use it. kc

--- In @celiacbayarecel, Dana Hoppe <danahoppe@.da>

wrote:

>

> Gifts of Nature is the GF flour that I use and love it.

>  

> Dana

**************Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your favorites, no registration required and great graphics – check it out! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211202682x1200689022/aol?redir=

http://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001)

A lot of brands have rice…you’re best bet would be

to buy some tapioca and potato or amaranth (maybe teff) and work back and forth

on the proportions to see what works best. Cherrybrook is the closest but

it has white rice flour…maybe copy those ingredients and replace the rice

with potato? You’re working with some tricky requests ; )

good luck with nailing a recipe! Not sure what you’re trying

to make, so maybe there are other solutions out there.

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of rooneys86

Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 7:47 PM

Subject: [ ] Re: gf flour mix

thanks I checked it out but it has brown rice

and two other rice

flours. so I cant use it. kc

>

> From: rooneys86 <rooneys86@...>

> Subject: [ ] gf flour mix

>

> Date: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 2:56 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi can anyone recommend a gluten, rice, soy, bean free flour mix?

> thanks kc

>

Sounds like a good idea. By the way, for me I am allergic to potato and don't handle white rice well so also have to make my own baked goods from scratch. Thus the idea of making a "mix" myself seems like a good idea.BeaFrom: seamaiden399 <seamaiden399@...>Subject: [ ] Re: gf flour mix Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 11:21 AM

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a commercial mix, but you

should easily be able to mix your own. I would recommend looking at a

sorghum blend. Carol Fenster has a new one in her cookbook "1000

Gluten Free recipes" of sorghum, potato starch OR cornstarch, and

tapioca flour. Most of her recipes in the book use that base. It would

probably be worth a try given your specific restrictions.

Hope this helps!

-

Visit my gluten-free blog:

http://www.bookofyu m.com/blog/

>

> Hi can anyone recommend a gluten, rice, soy, bean free flour mix?

> thanks kc

>

Hi KC,I use teff, amaranth, quinoa, sorghum sometimes buckwheat and occasionally corn and now occasionally brown rice flour. All must be gf. I now use a very small amount of mashed sweet potato or yam if I need the bread or bar to be more moist... A teaspoon up to a tablespoon depending on the size of one's recipe is usually all one needs. I was using applesauce but still seem to be unable to tolerate any fruit or I get eczema. I am able to use xanthum gum too if I want to help avoid crumblyness. I am uncertain about tapioca. I often make pancakes, they are my old standby--and they don't need the xanthum gum or sweet potato. I use stevia for sweetner on top and often cinnamon to spice up the taste. I recently found I am terribly allergic to agave nectar! Bea's Basic Interchangeable Pancake

Recipe:A usual pancake for me might be this (since I use what I have on hand, I make different combinations):1 cup teff or buckwheat flour (sometimes I don't have either so have to pinch hit on this too)1 cup amaranth or quinoa or rice flour1 cup sorghum flour (here if I don't have enough I will exchange it for more teff or buckwheat or corn flour)1 teaspoon gf baking powder1 teaspoon baking soda1 teaspoon saltStir and sift all the above dry ingredients.Mix 1/4 cup oil (I like to use grape seed oil from Trader Joe's--it seems to handle heat well)with 3 cups water, using a whisk. Then stir into above dry mixture. Add more water if needed. I also put in 3 cups cooked quinoa or rice (the grains thoroughly washed until there is no cloudy residue in the water and then cooked -- usually left over from another meal). This adds texture plus makes the pancakes less like eating sugar--i.e., slower to

digest. Often I add extra water until its the right consistency for the pancakes. Sometimes I like them thick, and if so they take a little longer to fry. I use one teaspoon of grape seed oil in an already heated pan on low medium heat so the oil doesn't smoke. Butter or other oils can work too, just remember the pan must be both hot but not too hot...Hot so the pancakes won't stick to the pan and not too hot to avoid the smoke... I usually fry the pancake 7 minutes per side depending on the thickness.No eggs needed which for me is important since I am direly allergic to them, as well as milk except for yogurt etc. etc. etc.! I often sprinkle sunflower seeds on top and use yogurt and the aforementioned cinnamon. The pancakes are nice by themselves however and can acutally be used as bread. I often make two, one for breakfast and one for emergencies during the day...though not always of course.I have other recipes

but more for that later. I actually have a couple on a website I will post sometime. I want to change the recipe to what I am using now however since I was as said using applesauce originally when making carob brownies and the like. I made some the other night with the dreaded (for me) agave (and stevia) and got a terrible migraine. I gave the brownies to my mom who also has celiac however and she loves them...And no I don't use chickpea flour either since I seem to be allergic to that too... Ditto with nuts. This is the problem with having celiac all your life and not avoiding it sooner--some of us get allergic to seemingly everything. The good news though is that there are more options out there nowadays so its very possible to still have a good repetoire of food one can eat.BeaFrom: rooneys86 <rooneys86@...>Subject: [ ] Re: gf flour mix Date: Saturday, November 1, 2008, 7:19 PM

Bea what flours do you usally use and can you send some recepies my way

that you have found to work? Thanks,kc

--

> >

>