RemedySpot.com

Pain...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jenna:

I have had AIH since October 1997 and I still have the pain in my liver area. Same thing tests and no answers. I just grin and bare it now.

Now I have an abscess tooth that has to be taken care of. I should have done it last fall but it didn't hurt after a couple of days and now it has hurt since Thursday.

Sue/WI

Guest guest

OUCH Sue! Sorry that you are hurting. No good for a bad tooth. Try some clove oil...it helps teeth when they hurt. I keep mine handy all the time and use just a touch of it because it tasts NASTY! LOL...but it does help!

My doctor also told me that the liver doesn't hurt...just that when it starts to become inflammed, the sac around the liver swells, and this is what hurts.

I have a rheumatologist who just told me to get through it and grin and bear it! Sometimes it is easier said than done....

Good luck with the tooth!

debby

Re: [ ] Pain...

Jenna:I have had AIH since October 1997 and I still have the pain in my liver area. Same thing tests and no answers. I just grin and bare it now. Now I have an abscess tooth that has to be taken care of. I should have done it last fall but it didn't hurt after a couple of days and now it has hurt since Thursday.Sue/WI

Guest guest

Dear Jenna,

I had the terrible pain over the right

quadrant and this was happening when I was getting better as shown by my liver

function tests. Weird! The pain was horrible. She told me to hang in there as

it would go away soon. It did, but I still “remember” the pain. It

was nauseating.

Sometimes it could be the colon or the

capsule surrounding the liver is being stretched by the inflamed liver and this

can cause the discomfort.

[ ] Pain...

Hi All,

I had a fast question concerning pain. Since

the beginning of my

disease I have had pain in my liver region.

The dr told me that AIH

does not have pain associated with it and that it

may be

musculoskeletal pain, hence he put me on vioxx for

a short period of

time. Nothing has made the pain stop or go

away and my liver has

gone back down to normal size a few times in the

past few months.

All the tests that he has run to try to explain

the pain thus far

have come back normal. I think he is

beginning to think that they

are 'phantom pains' and I know they are not, but I

can't explain them

either. Does anyone have any insight or

wisdom to share? I really

appreciate it.

Jenna

Guest guest

hi my name is donna dont get on much but read daily.. my husband has cirrohis and has been having lots of pain liver area onr dr said cant have pain in liver other one said yes you can what are we to believe.. i know he is in pain alot lately...well thats my 2 cents worth donna

Guest guest

Dear Donna,

I’m sorry your husband is not

feeling well. I have heard that the pain comes from the capsule that surrounds

the liver being stretched by the liver because it is inflamed. This can cause

the pain. I know somewhat of the pain and it is a humbling experience to go

through.

Re: [ ]

Pain...

hi my name is donna dont get on much

but read daily.. my husband has cirrohis and has been having lots of pain liver

area onr dr said cant have pain in liver other one said yes you can what are we

to believe.. i know he is in pain alot lately...well thats my 2 cents

worth donna

Group

Rules

1. Please no religious, political, race or sexual

preference discussions.

2. NO slamming of other members, advertising or

vulgarity. Thank you!

To UNsubscribe send a blank e-mail to

-unsubscribeegroups

Your

use of is subject to the Terms of Service.

• 3 years later...

Hang in there, first find a good Dr. and have the test to know what is

wrong. Finding a good Dr. may take a while, some will listen and work with you,

others

will say " the pain is all in your head " . Well yes, that is where the pain

center is! But will not help in the end. It took me three doctors till I found

one who listen and did the test to find out I was a mess.

I had my first problem at age 30, now I'm 51 I have had back pain every

day of my life since.

Hang in there, there are some medications that help, I know it is hard, but

keep moving, walking. When I laid flat I hurt more, when I move or walk,

swimming is the best, I can keep going and the pain level goes down. Surgery

never helped me, only made more trouble for me down the road. And now I'm facing

more back surgery on L2, L3. L4, L5 was my first surgery.

Just remember your not alone, there are some great doctors out there that

can help, and remember no two people are alike, what will work on one will not

work on another. It may take time for the doctor to find the right combination

to help you. But don't give up.

Hoolihanma or Nessa

• 2 years later...

Hi Cam, Thank you so much for the list of doctors in Singapore. Wow! you wouldn't believe that the first one is the doctor who did my fusion surgery and someone once told me that he had passed on. I called his clinic and he is currently out of town but he is still practising. (I'm just thinking that he must be really old because he wasn't very young when he operated on me.) I do understand about taking everything with a grain for salt and that everyone's case is different from one another. It's good to know though and sharing gives hope and encouragement because right now I'm really fearful of having to go through yet another operation. Partly due to the fact that I am allergic to painkillers. Had a hysterectomy in 2004 and they automatically took me off all painkillers......they could only give me morphine jabs but it didn't last very long,

after which they would only give me paracetamol until the next jab.....which didn't help much and I had to bear the pain. Every patient in the room would be fast asleep after their op and I would be silently crying and writhing in pain. Mind you, I have a pretty high threshold of pain but it was still hard to bear. As Sharon suggested, I would definitely discuss this thoroughly with the doctor first if I should decide to go for surgery, otherwise I would not opt for surgery. AJ

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Hi AJ,

How horrible to be allergic to pain killers. Do you mean narcotics? I have a high threshold to pain too, but pain is not only uncomfortable to say the least, but raises your blood pressure, stress level and is very tiring. I use to resist even taking an aspirin for a headache, but not anymore. Did becoming allergic come on suddenly or have you always been allergic? Are you allergic to nsaids pain killers too? There is another pain killer that is non-narcotic that is really good, but it is limited one how long you can take it, as it is hard on the stomach and liver. "Toradol" comes in pill form, that really doesn't help me at all; in injection form, which is better; in IV form, that will wipe out severe pain in a flash. When my pain level becomes intolerable, I go to the ER and ask the doctor for a "Toradol IV Push". A Push is where the nurse inserts a IV lead in your hand (or where ever), then inserts an injection of Toradol into the lead in your hand. I can feel the pain literally melt away in about 10-15 minutes. Talk to your doctor about it, because if you have other health issues you might not be able to take it. Toradol is an nsaid and like all nsaids (aspirin and ibuprofen are nsaids) it comes with a list of side effects, so only your doctor can decide if you can take it or not. I'm a chronic pain patient and have a Medtronic pain pump implanted with a cocktail of narcotics and muscle relaxants. Before I learned about Toradol, doctors in the ER used to treat me like a druggy. As soon as I asked for a Toradol Push, they always agree and treat me completely different.

Here is another option you might consider. When I was a child I had polio and my parents took me to rehab for my legs everyday for weeks. After each session I would get blinding headaches. I can remember our family doctor would come to the house and sit on my bed and talk to me until I fell asleep. Now when I get a headache, all I want to do is go to sleep and if I can sleep even for 15 minutes my headache will disappear. (Most of the time). I think what the doctor was doing was hypnotizing me and some 50+ years later, I'm subconsciously hypnotizing myself to sleep. I asked my mother before she passed away and she said she couldn't remember, but everytime he left I would sleep for about 8-9 hours and wake up feeling good again. Also my sister-in-law is a Music Therapist and teaches a type of self hypnotizing with music. She practiced in a big hospital in Cincinnati working with cancer pain patients for years, until she started teaching it herself. She finds out what music and tones make you feel good, then makes a tape you can play when needed. Of course there is a lot more involved than that, but you get the idea.

Sorry this is so long. I tend to get a little windy,

Pat E.

Hi Cam,

Thank you so much for the list of doctors in Singapore. Wow! you wouldn't believe that the first one is the doctor who did my fusion surgery and someone once told me that he had passed on. I called his clinic and he is currently out of town but he is still practising. (I'm just thinking that he must be really old because he wasn't very young when he operated on me.)

I do understand about taking everything with a grain for salt and that everyone's case is different from one another. It's good to know though and sharing gives hope and encouragement because right now I'm really fearful of having to go through yet another operation. Partly due to the fact that I am allergic to painkillers. Had a hysterectomy in 2004 and they automatically took me off all painkillers......they could only give me morphine jabs but it didn't last very long, after which they would only give me paracetamol until the next jab.....which didn't help much and I had to bear the pain. Every patient in the room would be fast asleep after their op and I would be silently crying and writhing in pain. Mind you, I have a pretty high threshold of pain but it was still hard to bear. As Sharon suggested, I would definitely discuss this thoroughly with the doctor first if I should decide to go for surgery, otherwise I would not opt for surgery.

AJ

Hi Pat, I developed an allergy to painkillers because I suffered from severe menstural cramps (Endometriosis) and Ponstan was prescribed to me since the very beginning. I only took it on the first day (or the very most 2nd day as well if the pain persisted) every month. As a teen, if I didn't take ponstan I would get feverish, cold sweat, throw up and even fainted in school and wake up to find myself in sick bay. Subsequently, I became allergic to it in my early thirties. My doctor then tried to give me other painkillers... cataflan and synflex, but I was allergic to them too. So far I only know that I am allergic to these three painkillers. I did ask about Ibuprofen and the doctor said that I would probably be allergic to that as well. From then on I took Panadeine (panadol and codine) or buscopan a muscle relaxant, there is some relief but the pain is still there so I

lived with it. Took a day off from work every once a month. Yeah....pain is really awful to have to bear with.....used to make me wish that I could just leave this earth there and then. I have not come across self-hypnotizing with music but it brings to mind that I have tried just transferring my thoughts from the pain to something else. It's probably not the same thing but I would just like to share this. I was expecting, and was induced as I was past my delivery date. I had the contractions and all but my cervix just wouldn't open....this went on for about 12 hrs. I remember in one of my pre-natal classes that a nurse had talked about transferring your thoughts to something else other than the pain. I tried it....but you'd need to really concentrate and it's hard to when you're in pain. I had short spurts of relief and then when my mind came

back to the pain, I broke the concentration. At least I know that it works to some extent. (I eventually had a cesarean because my son's heartbeat was faint and he turned about so the umbilical cord was around his neck.) When I had my hysterectomy, I was very weak and I just let the pain engulf me, plus I was throwing up from the after effects of the anesthesia, so concentrating was far from my mind. I think you'd need to have a strong mind as in determination. (Mind you, birth contractions are intermittent so you get to collect your thoughts before the next contraction.) (Perhaps it's just me, I find it hard to concentrate because my mind wanders alot and am always day-dreaming.) I believe that people who exercise meditation can do this easily as compared to those who don't... which is partly why I am looking into yoga....because I think it can help me have a peaceful mind as

well. I do believe that the mind works in mysterious ways and hypnotizing oneself would be something to think about. I have not heard of Toradol but I will definitely bring it up when I eventually see a doctor. Thanks Pat. AJ

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.