RemedySpot.com

Re: Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Uhm, since I follow the threads by emails, I don't always get the whole story on topics and don't get to follow even those as closely as I would like (my pc that is configured to receive emails isn't in convenient to access and sit at as the laptop) - but, anyway...

without reading anything prior to this post regarding the Stryker frame table/bed I don't know what discussions have taken place but it did get my attention! I was on one of those back when I had my original scoli-HR-surgery/fusion in 1972 at age 17. I remember the Stryker frame very well and spent about 14 days on it.

I haven't even thought about the Stryker frame still being used these days but I guess that since it does serve a great purpose then why not keep using something that works.

I guess what I'm trying to convey here is if you're wanting to hear from people who've been on the Stryker frame, either back in the original surgery and up to the current days, I'll be glad to elaborate on my memories of my experience - but if all of that has already been discussed and you're talking about "present day" Stryker frame experiences, I wasn't on that during my revision surgery which was done in May of 2007...everybody has different needs for their own different situations, and Doctors -

So, without rambling on and on, if you'd like for me post what I recall from 1972 on that bed I'll be glad to. Otherwise I'll be reading along, following this, as, like I mentioned, I haven't heard anything about the Styker frame in a long time!

G - NC

[ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

Hi everybody.I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay on my side'.Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab. Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was used?Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab? Did you walk when not on it? For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only walk out of there if I'm fused enough...Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought about it, but mine are definetely tight.Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?JeriWhat's been your experience on how you > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they' would let me go)> > > > Jeri

Jeri, in 1971 I was on a Stryker frame for about 2 weeks. There was no standing or walking allowed. I was kept in bed for about 4 months total. After my incision was healed they put me in another Risser cast and I went home in that, where I had to stay in bed.

Things have changed A LOT since then.

Sharon

Hi everybody.I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay on my side'.Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab. Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was used?Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab? Did you walk when not on it? For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only walk out of there if I'm fused enough...Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought about it, but mine are definetely tight.Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?JeriWhat's been your experience on how you > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they' would let me go)> > > > Jeri

I remember that my heels hurt after lying on my back. The nurses put some little padded footies and it took care of that pain right away. They would flip me every 4 hours or so to prevent pneumonia, I think that was the reason. The bed reminded me of an ironing board and they would "sandwich" me in with another "board" on top when they'd flip/turn me over. It looked more uncomfortable than it actually was. When I'd be lying on my stomach, the head area had a "strap?" that went across my forehead and then another for my chin so I was still lying flat. It supported my head very well. Though it was an odd looking setup it wasn't uncomfortable (but I was on heavy pain meds). I remember getting a sore spot on my chin from that support strap but it cleared up. I was able to listen to my soap opera if I was on my stomach and when on my back, I could see enough TV since it was anchored high up on the wall. Those prism glasses would have come in handy had I known about them. I had a reel-to-reel tape recorder and made my own mix of music and took that to the hospital with me, along with head phones...back in the '70's the technology of small audio devices didn't exist but it still worked for me.

Once they put me in the cast I was returned to my room and put in a regular hospital bed.

I remember seeing other people on the floor in the Rizer(sp) frame beds - now that looked pretty uncomfortable.

Sharon, you probably had similar experiences since yours was 1971 and mine was 1972?

I can't think of a single person who has posted about being on a

stryker frame or tilt table or having to stay in bed after revision

surgery.

After my own revision surgery, I was fused from about T4 to S1 with a

large osteotomy at L3 and repair of spondololythesis at L5/S1 and I

was out of bed the very next day for at least a little bit and

walking the halls by the end of the week. No brace.

>

> Hi everybody.

> I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of

> being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says

> they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I

> guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to

really 'lay

> on my side'.

>

> Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to

> tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking

> sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a

> brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be

> less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab.

>

> Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it

was

> used?

> Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab?

> Did you walk when not on it?

>

> For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and

only

> walk out of there if I'm fused enough...

>

> Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned

it

> as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought

> about it, but mine are definetely tight.

>

> Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?

> Jeri

>

> What's been your experience on how you

> > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after

> surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I

> remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they'

> would let me go)

> > >

> > > Jeri

>

Me too - now days they get you up on your feet as soon as possible. All I can figure is that each Doctor has his own method? Back in 1972, during my original scoli surgery things were done in a very different manner - across the board - but in this day and time it is almost opposite of what they did back then.

[ ] Re: Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

I can't think of a single person who has posted about being on a stryker frame or tilt table or having to stay in bed after revision surgery.After my own revision surgery, I was fused from about T4 to S1 with a large osteotomy at L3 and repair of spondololythesis at L5/S1 and I was out of bed the very next day for at least a little bit and walking the halls by the end of the week. No brace.>> Hi everybody.> I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of > being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says > they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I > guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay > on my side'.> > Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to > tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking > sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a > brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be > less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab. > > Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was > used?> Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab? > Did you walk when not on it? > > For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only > walk out of there if I'm fused enough...> > Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it > as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought > about it, but mine are definetely tight.> > Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?> Jeri> > What's been your experience on how you > > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after > surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I > remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they' > would let me go)> > > > > > Jeri>

, I'm not sure what you mean by a Rizer frame bed, but wonder if you intended the word Risser. The Risser table was a frame of sorts that was used to make the world's most hideous looking cast. This was the form of traction they used on me, and as far as I could tell, on all the scoli patients in the hospital with me. (It was a small children's orthopedic hospital with open wards, so I got somewhat familiar with most of the gals in there at the time.)

I have heard that there was a type of in-bed traction used during roughly the same era, which didn't involve a cast. Don't know if the Risser name was associated with that, but I imagine someone in the group knows.

But yes, , your Stryker frame experience sounds a lot like mine. I remember a well-padded head strap for the prone position, but not the chin thing, though it might have had it. And the piece they would take out to put a bed pan under you! Oh, my gosh, that hurt when on my back, if the nurse didn't take the pan away and return that piece promptly!

All in all I'd have to say the Stryker frame was heavenly compared with the current practice of turning patients with a draw sheet. I can't imagine a good reason for the change, other than cost, and maybe the improved hardware makes turning by draw sheet safe enough. Then again, I wasn't allowed to lie on my side on the Stryker, and I needed to lie on my side after revision, as it was excruciating to lie on my back.

Sharon

I think the word Risser is what I meant to say. If I recall correctly, it had steel configurations that could rotate a patient in what looked to be circular positions. I think the patients had "weighted traction", which I didn't have to experience. I would guess you did - it all depended on the level of severity of scoliosis and corrective surgery they'd have to do. My heart goes out to you if you went through all of that. As far as a cast - I was only put in that one, I think it took about half an hour - and I especially remember the "crew" that was casting me - they were laughing, talking amongst themselves while they were "plastering" the sheets of wetted plaster on my 17 year old body. I couldn't see much since they had put the wool body stocking around me and nipped out holes for my eyes and nose - it was at this point that I started realizing and wondering "what the hell, why did I have to have a crooked spine and how in the world am I going to live 8 months in this cast". I did adjust to it though...ARE THERE ANY OTHERS HERE FROM THOSE GOOD OLD DAYS THAT DON'T REMEMBER THE CAST!!! -

When I went to the scoliosis clinic I got familiar with a lot of faces but didn't get to know any of them - and sort'ove expected to see one or two of them while in the hospital but the only person I met was an "older" lady - who was post surgery, already in her cast and waiting on her discharge papers so she could go home to her husband and new baby.

Ahh, those memories do come back.

About the draw sheet turning now-days, I have wondered about that too. I'd rather be sandwiched in the Styker frame - also for when I kept sliding down in the bed and they'd do the draw sheet method to get me back up where my head would lay on the pillow - I actually thought about that while they were tugging and pulling on me! But, my revision hospital stay was longer because I wound up on ICU, so there were more days than originally planned.

Back to the Stryker frame - I don't recall the removable piece for the bed pan. I can only imagine how that would hurt to have a blank area of non-support. I remember one time the nurses turned me over and they actually just let the bed flip around and lock in place - I rocked back and forth afterwards, they were so careless and it hurt like the dickens. My mom said something to the nurse supervisor about it and next thing I knew the Dr. came in (a day later), reaming me out - he just charged in like a bull. He was defending the accusation, which wasn't intended to become a federal case. I started crying, my chin was quivering - and I remember my aunt who was with me during the day, took him outside of the room, I couldn't hear what she was saying but I could certainly hear her tone of voice and couldn't believe how long she was talking - to him - she pretty much told him that I wouldn't make something like that up, and that the nurses could stand a LOT of improvement, etc., and he was pretty much of a kitten after that, and the nurses treated me like a queen. As a norm, as it seems, the nurses now-days aren't cruel like they used to be and get away with it - but there is still a population of them that don't need to be in that business if they have no compassion - so, as so many people in this forum have experienced, you have to keep reporting to the head nurse if/when that happens.

Didn't mean to get so wordy - my fingers get out of control sometimes!

, when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the stockinet over your face while making it, did it come up to your chin and hold your head firmly? Or was it just around your torso. The Risser cast is the one where they put you on a traction rack, cranked it up, then plastered you right up to your chin. For my first one I had to have cuts made where the thing pressed too heavily on my pelvic crests, and a belly hole so I could eat. And I couldn't contract the muscles necessary to defecate. What memories!

Sharon

I remember the cast, also! I was 13 at the time, and I'll never forget the

stocking over my

face. They made the cast so tight (Dr. Moe's residents in Minneapolis) that I

could barely

get a fork into my mouth!! It wore terrible open sores on the end of each side

of my jaw

by my neck. I still have scars there 43 years later....I surely hope I will

have better

memories of my revision surgery in April with Dr. Bridwell when it's all over!!

It's these

memories that have made me wait too long to get this surgery done.

I'm glad there are others who can relate, but I'm sorry you had to endure these

things,

also.

>

> , when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the

stockinet over

your face while making it, did it come up to your chin and hold your head

firmly? Or was it

just around your torso. The Risser cast is the one where they put you on a

traction rack,

cranked it up, then plastered you right up to your chin. For my first one I had

to have cuts

made where the thing pressed too heavily on my pelvic crests, and a belly hole

so I could

eat. And I couldn't contract the muscles necessary to defecate. What memories!

>

> Sharon

>

> [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

>

>

> Hi everybody.

> guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really

'lay

> on my side'.

>

>

> Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was

> used?

>

> For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and

only

>

> Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned

it

>

> Jeri

>

> would let me go)

> > >

> > > Jeri

>

Hello to all,

I just joined this group and have found it very interesting. I had surgery for

my scoliosis in 1967, age 13. It was very new back then, and my surgeon was one

of a few specialists using the Harrington Rod, or so I was told. I really did

not have any concerns until I was in my early 40's and was doing a home craft

business that required bending forward several hours a day. It has been

downhill since then. I bend over 8 inches forward and almost 2 to one side. I

was in severe pain until I was referred by a new doctor, who studied with some

of the names you all have mentioned, to physical therapy. My first visit I was

told we were going to walk on a treadmill for 5 minutes. I told the PT that was

impossible, too much pain. I was told I could and they would manage the pain

and I would get stronger. It took almost 2 years of PT, exercise, managing the

pain, to be able to walk 30 minutes at a time on a treadmill and do 20 minutes

on an elliptical. Amazing!!! As long as I keep the exercise going, I do pretty

well, very little pain. Quite a difference from the initial start at therapy.

I still have concerns how much further the bending may go, my family is always

amazed at strangers' reactions to seeing me, offering a seat to me immediately.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has experience with physical therapy and the

long term outcome.

I also had the body cast, neck to hips and a cutout for my stomach. I really

did not have any concerns, I was in bed for 6 weeks flat completely, then

started walking 5 minutes 3 times a day, a month later, sitting 5 minutes 3

times a day. It was an amazing journey!!! I did have the Prism glasses, you

could not do without those, but no tilt table experiences, ever.

Debbie

Sent: Sun 1/20/2008 5:46 PM

Subject: Re: [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

, when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the

stockinet over your face while making it, did it come up to your chin and hold

your head firmly? Or was it just around your torso. The Risser cast is the one

where they put you on a traction rack, cranked it up, then plastered you right

up to your chin. For my first one I had to have cuts made where the thing

pressed too heavily on my pelvic crests, and a belly hole so I could eat. And I

couldn't contract the muscles necessary to defecate. What memories!

Sharon

Hi everybody.

I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of

being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says

they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I

guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay

on my side'.

Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to

tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking

sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a

brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be

less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab.

Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was

used?

Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab?

Did you walk when not on it?

For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only

walk out of there if I'm fused enough...

Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it

as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought

about it, but mine are definetely tight.

Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?

Jeri

What's been your experience on how you

> feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after

surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I

remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they'

would let me go)

> >

> > Jeri

, that's awful about your chin. At my hospital they swabbed our chins daily with alcohol to help toughen it so we wouldn't get sores. They also padded them very well, so thankfully I didn't get a skin breakdown on the chin. I do have a scar on one pelvic crest, which I think was from the plaster saw when they cut the X in my cast there. But they were careful to avoid pressure sores and they also made me wear a retainer to keep my teeth from being deformed by the cast. The other thing was leg exercises we had to do every day. Now I suppose they were to prevent blood clots, though I didn't know it at the time.

Sharon

[ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings> > > Hi everybody.> I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of > being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says > they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I > guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay > on my side'.> > Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to > tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking > sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a > brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be > less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab. > > Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was > used?> Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab? > Did you walk when not on it? > > For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only > walk out of there if I'm fused enough...> > Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it > as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought > about it, but mine are definetely tight.> > Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?> Jeri> > What's been your experience on how you > > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after > surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I > remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they' > would let me go)> > > > > > Jeri>

Wow...it's something to think back about " the old days " !!! Thank God things

have

changed....but, I'm sure they were doing the best that they knew how to do at

the time..it

sure wasn't fun though, was it??!!

> >

> > , when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the

stockinet

over

> your face while making it, did it come up to your chin and hold your head

firmly? Or

was it

> just around your torso. The Risser cast is the one where they put you on a

traction

rack,

> cranked it up, then plastered you right up to your chin. For my first one I

had to have

cuts

> made where the thing pressed too heavily on my pelvic crests, and a belly

hole so I

could

> eat. And I couldn't contract the muscles necessary to defecate. What

memories!

> >

> > Sharon

> >

> > [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

> >

> >

> > Hi everybody.

> > I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of

> > being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says

> > they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I

> > guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay

> > on my side'.

> >

> > Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to

> > tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking

> > sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a

> > brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be

> > less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab.

> >

> > Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was

> > used?

> > Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab?

> > Did you walk when not on it?

> >

> > For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only

> > walk out of there if I'm fused enough...

> >

> > Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it

> > as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought

> > about it, but mine are definetely tight.

> >

> > Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?

> > Jeri

> >

> > What's been your experience on how you

> > > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after

> > surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I

> > remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they'

> > would let me go)

> > > >

> > > > Jeri

> >

>

Yes, it's heavy, and no it wasn't fun. I can't say revision was fun either, but at least i had some say in what was done to me.

Sharon

[ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings> > > > > > Hi everybody.> > I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of > > being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says > > they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I > > guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay > > on my side'.> > > > Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to > > tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking > > sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a > > brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be > > less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab. > > > > Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was > > used?> > Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab? > > Did you walk when not on it? > > > > For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only > > walk out of there if I'm fused enough...> > > > Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it > > as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought > > about it, but mine are definetely tight.> > > > Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?> > Jeri> > > > What's been your experience on how you > > > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after > > surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I > > remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they' > > would let me go)> > > > > > > > Jeri> >>

I'm hoping that having some control will be better.....I'm sure I am in for a

long journey,

but I'm very hopeful that I'll have a good outcome. I'm thankful that I found

this site

where there are others who have been through this...is it so helpful just to

know others

like me are out there!

> > >

> > > , when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the

stockinet

> over

> > your face while making it, did it come up to your chin and hold your head

firmly? Or

> was it

> > just around your torso. The Risser cast is the one where they put you on a

traction

> rack,

> > cranked it up, then plastered you right up to your chin. For my first one

I had to have

> cuts

> > made where the thing pressed too heavily on my pelvic crests, and a belly

hole so I

> could

> > eat. And I couldn't contract the muscles necessary to defecate. What

memories!

> > >

> > > Sharon

> > >

> > > [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi everybody.

> > > I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of

> > > being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says

> > > they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I

> > > guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay

> > > on my side'.

> > >

> > > Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to

> > > tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking

> > > sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a

> > > brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be

> > > less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab.

> > >

> > > Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was

> > > used?

> > > Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab?

> > > Did you walk when not on it?

> > >

> > > For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only

> > > walk out of there if I'm fused enough...

> > >

> > > Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it

> > > as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought

> > > about it, but mine are definetely tight.

> > >

> > > Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?

> > > Jeri

> > >

> > > What's been your experience on how you

> > > > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after

> > > surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I

> > > remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they'

> > > would let me go)

> > > > >

> > > > > Jeri

> > >

> >

>

Oh my gosh - first of all, my cast came up around my face, up my neck, back of my head so when I laid down my head was against plaster instead of a pillow. I had a hole cut out for my belly to expand. It ended where my legs bended when I sat. I didn't see my boobs for the whole time. I used pliers to flatten some areas that just hurt - for instance, the part that was against the back of my head had some knots in it so I flattened the inside enough to crush up those pieces that felt virtually like rocks. I wound up with thick calluses around my chin and jaw line. I had lost 20 lbs. and with the casting being so body conforming and gaining that weight back, along with a few pounds more - I still have scars around my waist line - and for about a year after the initial removal, I had blue streaks where it had been so tight - the streaks finally turned skin color but you can still see where they were, there's still some numb areas at the tops of my legs where the cast pressed on, my hip bones in the front still have "flat" spots where the cast was so strapping to the bone. The top region of my pubic hair was covered and most of my butt was covered. The reason I took the modifications into my own hands (and my dad helped me with flattening out the lumps) was because the Doctor adamantly said NO to any tweaks - isn't that so insensitive for all humans to have to endure.

HOWEVER, I did not get even close to going through what you did. Holy crap. I cannot imagine. I just absolutely cannot.

So you had a Risser, , but they didn't stretch you when they made it? They were able to crank those Harrington rods so as to straighten the spine, but I guess with some of us they thought they needed to do traction first. Or maybe it depended on the surgeon(s) involved and what they believed was best. They didn't stretch me much for the postsurgical Rissers. They didn't need the modifications I needed for the first one. Until the plaster dried and shrank on that first one, I could hardly speak, let alone eat. But it sounds like you suffered plenty with yours. And didn't you say you had to stay in bed for 8 months? For me it was less than 4, including 3 weeks in the hospital, 1 week before surgery and 2 weeks recovering. Then I was in bed at home for 3 months, followed by 3 months in a "walking Risser".

Sharon

, When did you make the surgery

date with Dr. Bridwell?  Does he have a 4 ½ month wait for surgery? 

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008

6:07 PM

Subject: [ ] Re:

Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

I remember the cast, also! I was 13 at the time, and

I'll never forget the stocking over my

face. They made the cast so tight (Dr. Moe's residents in Minneapolis) that I could barely

get a fork into my mouth!! It wore terrible open sores on the end of each side

of my jaw

by my neck. I still have scars there 43 years later....I surely hope I will

have better

memories of my revision surgery in April with Dr. Bridwell when it's all over!!

It's these

memories that have made me wait too long to get this surgery done.

I'm glad there are others who can relate, but I'm sorry you had to endure these

things,

also.

>

> , when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the

stockinet over

your face while making it, did it come up to your chin and hold your head

firmly? Or was it

just around your torso. The Risser cast is the one where they put you on a

traction rack,

cranked it up, then plastered you right up to your chin. For my first one I had

to have cuts

made where the thing pressed too heavily on my pelvic crests, and a belly hole

so I could

eat. And I couldn't contract the muscles necessary to defecate. What memories!

>

> Sharon

>

> [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table &

Hamstrings

>

>

> Hi everybody.

> guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay

> on my side'.

>

>

> Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was

> used?

>

> For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only

>

> Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam

mentioned it

>

> Jeri

>

> would let me go)

> > >

> > > Jeri

>

Sharon and ,

I had the same experience in

1972 that you did with the Risser table. I was stretched 2 ½  weeks before

surgery, and then again after surgery. Was in the hospital for 10 days after

surgery and at home flat on my back in the Risser cast for 3 months before I reentered

for cast removal and rehab.  In fact, while I was being stretched, they cackled

and laughed about how it reminded them of a Chinese torture rack!  It was so

tight that I wore holes through the caps on my front teeth.  I also developed

bedsores on my butt even though my sister (who took care of me at home) gave me

alcohol rubs inside the cast as far as her arm would go every day. I used to

sleep with a down pillow on my forehead just to feel the softness of it at

night.  To this day, I sometimes sleep on my back with the pillow over my forehead

instead of under my head.  A pillow under my head sometimes lifts my head and

shoulders too high and hurts my back. At that time, I knew of no other people

who were going through the same thing and I felt so alone – like a

freak. 

7:45 PM

Subject: Re: [ ]

So you had a Risser, , but they didn't stretch you when

they made it? They were able to crank those Harrington rods so as to

straighten the spine, but I guess with some of us they thought they needed to

do traction first. Or maybe it depended on the surgeon(s) involved and

what they believed was best. They didn't stretch me much for the

postsurgical Rissers. They didn't need the modifications I needed for the

first one. Until the plaster dried and shrank on that first one, I could

hardly speak, let alone eat. But it sounds like you suffered plenty

with yours. And didn't you say you had to stay in bed for 8 months?

For me it was less than 4, including 3 weeks in the hospital, 1 week

before surgery and 2 weeks recovering. Then I was in bed at home for 3

months, followed by 3 months in a " walking Risser " .

Sharon

[ ]

Hi everybody.

on my side'.

used?

Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam

mentioned it

Jeri

would let me go)

> >

> > Jeri

You guys just amaze me. I had my first fusion in 1989, and it was

nothing like what all of you went through. I " skipped " all the bracing

that many kids my age went through, because nobody noticed my curves

until they were almost 70 degrees - so I went directly into surgery.

But compared to all of your experiences, it was a breeze. There was no

pre-surgery stretching, no casting, no braces afterwards or anything.

I basically went in, had the surgery, and went home 8 days later to

finish recovering. I mean, it was painful and tough to get used to

being fused and all that, but it was so much simpler than what all you

guys went through in the 60s & 70s. Of course, with all of

their " improvements " with Luque rods, they still failed to prevent

flatback. But at least I didn't have to endure all of the extra stuff

that you guys did. I know my deformed body had a big impact on my

psyche & body image as a teen (I have severe rotation, and looked like

I only had one breast as a teenager), but you guys really went through

a lot of hard stuff to deal with as teens. You always have my utmost

admiration for dealing with that so successfully.

>

> So you had a Risser, , but they didn't stretch you when they

made it? They were able to crank those Harrington rods so as to

straighten the spine, but I guess with some of us they thought they

needed to do traction first. Or maybe it depended on the surgeon(s)

involved and what they believed was best. They didn't stretch me

I think the tilt table was a necessity if

you were flat for any length of time. When I was first put on it, my blood

rushed down to my feet and drained from my face – I nearly fainted! It

took a little while for me to go back to a vertical position without feeling

like I was going to throw-up.

6:13 PM

;

Subject: RE: [ ]

Hello to all,

I just joined this group and have found it very interesting. I had surgery for

my scoliosis in 1967, age 13. It was very new back then, and my surgeon was one

of a few specialists using the Harrington Rod, or so I was told. I really did

not have any concerns until I was in my early 40's and was doing a home craft

business that required bending forward several hours a day. It has been

downhill since then. I bend over 8 inches forward and almost 2 to one side. I

was in severe pain until I was referred by a new doctor, who studied with some

of the names you all have mentioned, to physical therapy. My first visit I was

told we were going to walk on a treadmill for 5 minutes. I told the PT that was

impossible, too much pain. I was told I could and they would manage the pain

and I would get stronger. It took almost 2 years of PT, exercise, managing the

pain, to be able to walk 30 minutes at a time on a treadmill and do 20 minutes

on an elliptical. Amazing!!! As long as I keep t

I also had the body cast, neck to hips and a cutout for my stomach. I really

did not have any concerns, I was in bed for 6 weeks flat completely, then

started walking 5 minutes 3 times a day, a month later, sitting 5 minutes 3

times a day. It was an amazing journey!!! I did have the Prism glasses, you

could not do without those, but no tilt table experiences, ever.

Debbie

on behalf of Sharon Green

Sent: Sun 1/20/2008 5:46 PM

Subject: Re: [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

, when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the

stockinet over your face while making it, did it come up to your chin and hold

your head firmly? Or was it just around your torso. The Risser cast is the one

where they put you on a traction rack, cranked it up, then plastered you right

up to your chin. For my first one I had to have cuts made where the thing

pressed too heavily on my pelvic crests, and a belly hole so I could eat. And I

couldn't contract the muscles necessary to defecate. What memories!

Sharon

Hi everybody.

on my side'.

used?

Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam

mentioned it

Jeri

would let me go)

> >

> > Jeri

Oh ! The Packers are losing!!!!

8:49 PM

You guys just amaze me. I had my first fusion in 1989,

and it was

nothing like what all of you went through. I " skipped " all the

bracing

that many kids my age went through, because nobody noticed my curves

until they were almost 70 degrees - so I went directly into surgery.

But compared to all of your experiences, it was a breeze. There was no

pre-surgery stretching, no casting, no braces afterwards or anything.

I basically went in, had the surgery, and went home 8 days later to

finish recovering. I mean, it was painful and tough to get used to

being fused and all that, but it was so much simpler than what all you

guys went through in the 60s & 70s. Of course, with all of

their " improvements " with Luque rods, they still failed to prevent

flatback. But at least I didn't have to endure all of the extra stuff

that you guys did. I know my deformed body had a big impact on my

psyche & body image as a teen (I have severe rotation, and looked like

I only had one breast as a teenager), but you guys really went through

a lot of hard stuff to deal with as teens. You always have my utmost

admiration for dealing with that so successfully.

>

> So you had a Risser, , but they didn't stretch you when they

made it? They were able to crank those Harrington rods so as to

straighten the spine, but I guess with some of us they thought they

needed to do traction first. Or maybe it depended on the surgeon(s)

involved and what they believed was best. They didn't stretch me

I had made my surgery date for May, but changed it to April 8th right after the

first of the

year....I don't know how long the wait is...I know he is very busy and just

operates on

Tuesdays and Thursday, but I scheduled it for April because that was best for my

husband

to take off work and be with me in St. Louis. I didn't ask about an earlier

date.

> >

> > , when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the

> stockinet over

> firmly? Or was it

> traction rack,

> cranked it up, then plastered you right up to your chin. For my first one I

> had to have cuts

> hole so I could

> memories!

> >

> > Sharon

> >

> > [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

> >

> >

> > Hi everybody.

> > on my side'.

> >

> >

> > used?

> >

> >

> >

> > Jeri

> >

> > would let me go)

> > > >

> > > > Jeri

> >

>

Can you put your surgery date on

the forum’s calendar?

9:15 PM

I had made my surgery date for May, but changed it to

April 8th right after the first of the

year....I don't know how long the wait is...I know he is very busy and just

operates on

Tuesdays and Thursday, but I scheduled it for April because that was best for

my husband

to take off work and be with me in St. Louis. I didn't ask about an earlier

date.

> >

> > , when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled

the

> stockinet over

> firmly? Or was it

> traction rack,

> cranked it up, then plastered you right up to your chin. For my first one

I

> had to have cuts

> hole so I could

> memories!

> >

> > Sharon

> >

> > [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table &

Hamstrings

> >

> >

> > Hi everybody.

> > on my side'.

> >

> >

> > used?

> >

> >

> >

> > Jeri

> >

> > would let me go)

> > > >

> > > > Jeri

> >

>

> > >

> > > , when you talk about your cast and the fact the doctors pulled the

> > stockinet over

> > your face while making it, did it come up to your chin and hold your head

> > firmly? Or was it

> > just around your torso. The Risser cast is the one where they put you on a

> > traction rack,

> > cranked it up, then plastered you right up to your chin. For my first one

> I

> > had to have cuts

> > made where the thing pressed too heavily on my pelvic crests, and a belly

> > hole so I could

> > eat. And I couldn't contract the muscles necessary to defecate. What

> > memories!

> > >

> > > Sharon

> > >

> > > [ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi everybody.

> > > I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of

> > > being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says

> > > they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I

> > > guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay

> > > on my side'.

> > >

> > > Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to

> > > tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking

> > > sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a

> > > brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be

> > > less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab.

> > >

> > > Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was

> > > used?

> > > Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab?

> > > Did you walk when not on it?

> > >

> > > For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only

> > > walk out of there if I'm fused enough...

> > >

> > > Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it

> > > as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought

> > > about it, but mine are definetely tight.

> > >

> > > Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?

> > > Jeri

> > >

> > > What's been your experience on how you

> > > > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after

> > > surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I

> > > remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they'

> > > would let me go)

> > > > >

> > > > > Jeri

> > >

> >

>

So I continue to learn - amazing!

Being in bed for 8 months? I know a lot had to but not me. I was rebellious, though not intentional and had decided that it wasn't going to slow me down. I about drove my mom crazy with that attitude. The Doctors didn't confine me to bed once I was home but they didn't say I could ride a bicycle, ride on the back of a motorcycle, or drive either. I rode the bike just to see if I still could, took a very short ride on a motorcycle, I guess, just for the same reason - never did that much, but sitting behind the driver, I remember this like it was yesterday, I couldn't get the helmet on good because of the cast, and the flatness of the seat made the cast rise up so that it was choking feeling around my neck. As far as driving, I did that the whole time. It was tricky but I learned how far to stop, how much distance I'd need to be able to see a stop light change, or see left/right (as I would pivot my body) - but I managed without much more than some scratches on my big brother's '65 Mustang, my sister's VW, or my parent's station wagon.

Wow the flood of memories!

You know what really gets me - for those of us - the small percentage of the population as a whole, who have scoliosis and go through the way back when stuff - the revision stuff - or the today's modern correction methods - for so long in my life I didn't realize what all was happening to my body, and neither did the health care professionals - but for those of us who've traveled down this road, and cannot work any longer, not in terms of what a full time employer expects or in terms of what we (or I in this case) cannot do any more - that SS Disability would take that into consideration and not make life any more difficult to adapt to - and learn what people who've gotten to the point of not being able to participate in a "normal" life as they once knew it, have endured, what has happened to their bodies - I don't know exactly know how to say it without it sounding like I'm trying to get on disability - (I do receive long term disability benefits) but they should make some concessions, and at least, when they send you to one of their Doctors to be examined for their determination, make sure it is a Dr. that has even heard of scoliosis/flatback - not a quack like they sent me to, who deemed I was capable to work full time because he witnessed me put a magnetized screw on the end of a screwdriver...

oops...

got off onto a different topic - opened up my bottle of frustrations, putting cap back on bottle,

I didn't realize there were different types of casts. I expect the hospital where I had my surgery done had one method because the few (and I'm talking about two) people I've met since then that had scoli surgery there during that period of time had the same type of cast.

One last comment, I was fortunate enough that my stomach muscles weren't so confined that I had problems going to the bathroom. I remember being placed on my head and knees (kneeled position) when brought back to my room, and being given orders to stay in that position until the cast dried. I don't know if I ever cried out loud like that since I was a baby. It so happened, at that time, a fast food restaurant (Hardees) had a fad going on about long curley straws and I happened to have one there. My mom got the straw into my mouth and the other end into the Kool-Aid I liked and after several draws I got the drink into my mouth.