RemedySpot.com

Re: Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of different scoliosis treatments, since my family has a high incidence of it. In addition to myself, my dad had a fusion at age 47, and one of my half-sisters had one at age 14. I was born with congenital scoliosis and had body casts as an infant and a series of braces before and after my surgery at age 13. Right when I was finished with the surgery and braces, my younger sister was diagnosed and wore a Milwaukee brace for a couple years.

So at least I didn't think I was the only person on the planet to have to go through this stuff. My sister was allowed to walk in her pre-surgery Risser but not after. She lived in another state, so I only got to visit once and I never asked how long she was kept in bed.

My dad had no cast or traction pre-surgery, and after surgery he was on a head-to-toe tilting frame bed. Once he tried to walk so someone told his doctor and he was put in a cast from clavicle to knees and left in bed on his back only (!) for about 3 months. He couldn't even use a urinal by himself. He had immediate flatback after the surgery, and unfortunately by the time I learned there is such a thing as flatback he was too old and with too many health issues to be considered for revision. So I have an up-close look at how my life could be at 81 with flatback! No thanks!

Sharon

[ ] Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

Hi everybody.I'm anxiously awaiting my prism glasses to arrive! The reality of being flat on my back for up to 7 weeks is sinking in. Dr.T says they'll turn me only enough to prevent pressure points(?) which I guess lead to bed sores... won't even be turned enough to really 'lay on my side'.Dr.T says he's putting me on the tilt table (apparently from bed to tilt table when I'm supposed to walk, and back after walking sessions) so I can't twist(will be fused from T3-S1)without using a brace... his experience has been that people in a brace tend to be less active / walk less than those on tilt table in rehab. Can you 'stryker framers' tell me more about how and how long it was used?Did you stay on it the whole time you were in hosp/rehab? Did you walk when not on it? For my 6 week appt he says I'll be brought in on a stretcher and only walk out of there if I'm fused enough...Today is day 2 of hamstring stretches for me. Before Cam mentioned it as being one of the hardest parts of her recovery, I hadn't thought about it, but mine are definetely tight.Any comments about tilt table/stryker frames?JeriWhat's been your experience on how you > feel mentally, emotionally, and physically several days after surgery, but before going home or rehab (right around the time I remember just wanting to get out of the hospital, but before 'they' would let me go)> > > > Jeri

Sharon,

Your experience sounds just like mine. Awful, awful memories of casting, pre and post op. Even now, I sometimes, rarely, get a sudden burst of memory of being casted. And I was 32 at the time, not a teenager. It had to have been worse for a teenager.

Bonnie

Bonnie, I'd say the worst thing, other than the pain, was knowing I had no say in the whole matter. The hospital was excellent and most of the staff were kind, plus I saw lots of other kids going through the same thing, so there was something of a peer group, with school, Scouts, and other activities. I got to go home Christmas Eve with a bundle of presents from the Shriners. So while it was traumatic, I have doubts it was worse then your experience.

Sharon

[ ] Re: Prism glasses & Tilt table & Hamstrings

Sharon,

Your experience sounds just like mine. Awful, awful memories of casting, pre and post op. Even now, I sometimes, rarely, get a sudden burst of memory of being casted. And I was 32 at the time, not a teenager. It had to have been worse for a teenager.

Bonnie