unconscious that first night!!

My second surgery was only about 3-4 hours. For me, it was MUCH more

painful than the posterior stage. Luckily, people on here had

forewarned me (though not everyone experiences more pain with the

anterior stage), and I took along a nice stuffed animal to press on my

tummy for whenever I needed to tighten my ab muscles - so when being

rolled, when coughing, etc. The nurses got a kick out of my stuffed

animal too :) And in rehab when they changed my bedding, my patient

care tech always put the toy right next to my pillow for me :)

>

> I've read that many/most of you had Anterior and Posterior surgeries

> about a week apart.

>

> Do you know why your doc 'staged' them instead of doing them all in

one

> day?

>

> Dr.T says he doesn't want to put me through all the pain twice.

>

> Just curious. I wonder if it has to do with insurance costs...

>

> Thanks for your thoughts. Jeri

>

Jeri, these A/P surgeries can take many hours, and they don't like to keep patients under anesthesia for too long. I'm not sure how long I was under for Dr. Rand's first date, but the second one really took him all day and into the evening. My husband said he looked exhausted. And the neurosurgery before the 2 ortho. days took much longer than anticipated, so Dr. Rand decided not to do his work that day, not to keep me under too long.

So another reason for staging might be that things don't always go exactly as the surgeons anticipate. Sometimes a patient will be told that they will have 2 surgery dates, but if things go unexpectedly well and quickly, they'll get it done in one, or vice versa.

Again, the exhausted thing -- surgeons are human and with any work fatigue can affect performance, so limiting the work day may reduce the likelihood of error.

I can't say I was thrilled to awake from round 1 only to be told that I had 2 more to go instead of 1, but somehow when you're in it, you just hang in there and get it done.

Sharon

[ ] Staged vs. One day Surgery?

I've read that many/most of you had Anterior and Posterior surgeries about a week apart. Do you know why your doc 'staged' them instead of doing them all in one day?Dr.T says he doesn't want to put me through all the pain twice.Just curious. I wonder if it has to do with insurance costs...Thanks for your thoughts. Jeri

Jeri, My surgery wasn't staged. It was 8 hours ant/posterior. I asked Dr. LaGrone about staging and he stated he doesn't like to stage b/c "less blood loss, better for the patient, under only one time." I know many people had staged surgeries, but for ME- I wanted it all done at once. That is just me. :) Melindabocce_fun <bocce@...> wrote: I've read that many/most of you had Anterior and Posterior surgeries about a week apart. Do you know why your doc

'staged' them instead of doing them all in one day?Dr.T says he doesn't want to put me through all the pain twice.Just curious. I wonder if it has to do with insurance costs...Thanks for your thoughts. Jeri

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Jeri,

I'm scheduled for one anterior/posterior procedure. I don't know why

some do it and some don't. I think it is the surgeon's preference - it

may have something to do with insurance. Who knows . . . You and I

are scheduled for surgery the same week. I just got my

predetermination of benefits letter and they have approved me for 1 day

in the hospital!!! Can you believe it???? I swear this insurance

process makes you want to just throw up your hands and say forget it!

Donna T.

>

> about a week apart.

>

one

> day?

>

>

>

>

Dear Donna,

Don't fret about only being approved by the insurance for one day in the hospital, thats normal, it freaked me too, but Lee, Dr. Kumar's assistant said thats how they do it, and then the office has to call daily while you are hospitalized to get approval for each day while you are there. I had no problems. The insurance companies run the doc's not the other way around.

[ ] Re: Staged vs. One day Surgery?

Jeri,I'm scheduled for one anterior/posterior procedure. I don't know why some do it and some don't. I think it is the surgeon's preference - it may have something to do with insurance. Who knows . . . You and I are scheduled for surgery the same week. I just got my predetermination of benefits letter and they have approved me for 1 day in the hospital!!! Can you believe it???? I swear this insurance process makes you want to just throw up your hands and say forget it!Donna T.>> I've read that many/most of you had Anterior and Posterior surgeries > about a week apart. > > Do you know why your doc 'staged' them instead of doing them all in one > day?> > Dr.T says he doesn't want to put me through all the pain twice.> > Just curious. I wonder if it has to do with insurance costs...> > Thanks for your thoughts. Jeri>

Hi Jeri,

My revision was a two day surgery, one day after the next. I liked it

actually, I had no time to recover so therefore did not know the

difference.

>

> about a week apart.

>

one

> day?

>

>

>

>

Hi Melinda,

What all did you have done by Dr. LaGrone. I sure wish I could get in to see him. I'm going to re-try by writing a letter and begging him for help. Glad to know someone else has used him.

Pat from Texas

Jeri,

My surgery wasn't staged. It was 8 hours ant/posterior. I asked Dr. LaGrone about staging and he stated he doesn't like to stage b/c "less blood loss, better for the patient, under only one time." I know many people had staged surgeries, but for ME- I wanted it all done at once. That is just me. :) Melindabocce_fun <bocce@...> wrote:

I've read that many/most of you had Anterior and Posterior surgeries about a week apart. Do you know why your doc 'staged' them instead of doing them all in one day?Dr.T says he doesn't want to put me through all the pain twice.Just curious. I wonder if it has to do with insurance costs...Thanks for your thoughts. Jeri

Pat, He removed my Harrington Rod, extended the fusion up a few and down to the sacrum. I had anterior/posterior surgery. My surgery was about 8 hours with no major complications except for the osteoporosis he found. That is why I have had to wear a back brace - currently in the last month. I also had 2 osteotomies done (sic?) and the cages placed between L5-6. I really like Dr. LaGrone. He really cares about patients. Hopefully he will agree to see you when you beg. I go back to see him in Feb for my 6 month appointment. Keep me posted. MelindaPatEly@... wrote: Hi Melinda, What all did you have done by Dr. LaGrone. I sure wish I could get in to see him. I'm going to re-try by writing a letter and begging him for help. Glad to know someone else has used him. Pat from Texas Jeri, My surgery wasn't staged. It was 8 hours ant/posterior. I asked Dr. LaGrone about staging and he stated he doesn't like to stage b/c "less blood loss, better for the patient, under only one time." I know many

people had staged surgeries, but for ME- I wanted it all done at once. That is just me. :) Melindabocce_fun <bocce@...> wrote: I've read that many/most of you had Anterior and Posterior surgeries about a week apart. Do you know why your doc 'staged' them instead of doing them all in one day?Dr.T says he doesn't want to put me through all the pain twice.Just curious. I wonder if it has to do with insurance costs...Thanks for your thoughts. Jeri Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.