RemedySpot.com

Revision Surgery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Sheila,

While timetables can't be exact, just rough estimates, there are some things that tend to be in line with what most members going through surgery find.

I would say the average hospital stay is about a week, some a day or two sooner, some longer, especially if complications crop up.

Work is another issue. I would say on average most who work tend to get back if only partime by the three month mark. If your job involves a lot of physical work, maybe longer. There will be those who go back sooner, and some if complications arise, may never go back, or have to find different work.

Recovery is also different depending on just how much you have done. While I can say I was at this point this many weeks after surgery, there will be some who will beat me, and some who just weren't at that point yet. I left the hospital after a week, and was home resting and recovering for about six weeks. I walked, did minor stuff for myself and the family and just recouperated. At six weeks I was back driving( off major med's) and doing minor stuff around the house, and cooking basic meals for the family. With each week after that I improved, and about the three month mark was doing most everything I wanted, just still tired easily. For me I didn't fully get all my energy back for over a year, and during that year I continued recover and learned to live with my very fused spine( T-1 to the sacrum). Recovery from this surgery is slow, you just have to take it a day at a time, and while it seems to take forever, you when looking back on a week will usually see changes for the better. How you recover to depends on how sucessful your surgery is, how well you heal, how well you take care of yourself. You can screw up fine work by the surgeon by not following instructions and doing too much too quickly. You and you doc are a team in all this, and while I have given you a basic timetable( very rough), it is all weighed by how well you do. While we all have a common malady, we are not the same, curves differ, our basic health going into surgery differs, our age, stamina, supports( family and friends,very important). So how your recovery will go, it's a kinda wait and see.

Hope this helps, all this is subject to the person and their recovery, my recovery is mine, and yours will truly be yours.

[ ] revision surgery

I need to have a revision surgery, and I was wondering about the recovery. The length of the hospital stay? How long I will be of work ect...?Thanks Sheila

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

Sheila,

My husband was home with me for 5 weeks though I only really needed him daily for the first 3 weeks or so. Even with a grabber I found it hard to dress myself, couldn't fix my own food or drinks, couldn't wipe myself at times, etc., especially the first 2 weeks at home. I used a walker the first 2 weeks at home. A lot will depend on how weak and drowsy you are on the medications as well as your pain levels. Narcotics have a tendency to make me hyper so my husband had trouble keeping me still long enough so he could rest. My husband had planned to be home with me the first week and realized very quickly that I could not be left alone. He was gone for 3 days at the end of 3 weeks or so and I had a hard time without him. I managed to do basic things but I had to let other stuff go until he got back and my neighbor came over to do the kitty litter each day and anything else that had to be done. But I would think 3 weeks at least and possibly longer.

Peggy

[ ] revision surgery

Hi everyone, I do not post much, however I have been reading everyone posts and following recents surgeries. I have found it to be very helpful in finding a doctor that is able to help me. I am scheduled to have my revision surgery Septemeber 10th with Dr.Lauerman in Washington DC. I will be in the hospital for a week and then I will stay for one more week in DC with family. I live in Pa. so the doctor will not let me travel for two weeks. What I am most concerned about is how much help I will need with daily activities and for how long I will need it after surgery. Does anyone have any helpful hints for before and after surgery?Thanks, Sheila

Guest guest

Peggy, thanks for the input, it will help me plan things out. Sheila Peggy Greene <jpgunlimited@...> wrote: Sheila, My husband was home with me for 5 weeks though I only really needed him daily for the first 3 weeks or so. Even with a grabber I found it hard to dress myself, couldn't fix my own food or drinks, couldn't wipe myself at times, etc., especially

the first 2 weeks at home. I used a walker the first 2 weeks at home. A lot will depend on how weak and drowsy you are on the medications as well as your pain levels. Narcotics have a tendency to make me hyper so my husband had trouble keeping me still long enough so he could rest. My husband had planned to be home with me the first week and realized very quickly that I could not be left alone. He was gone for 3 days at the end of 3 weeks or so and I had a hard time without him. I managed to do basic things but I had to let other stuff go until he got back and my neighbor came over to do the kitty litter each day and anything else that had to be done. But I would think 3 weeks at least and possibly longer. Peggy [ ] revision surgery Hi everyone, I do not post much, however I have been reading everyone posts and following recents surgeries. I have found it to be very helpful in finding a doctor that is able to help me. I am scheduled to have my revision surgery Septemeber 10th with Dr.Lauerman in Washington DC. I will be in the hospital for a week and then I will stay for one

more week in DC with family. I live in Pa. so the doctor will not let me travel for two weeks. What I am most concerned about is how much help I will need with daily activities and for how long I will need it after surgery. Does anyone have any helpful hints for before and after surgery?Thanks, Sheila

Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

Guest guest

Sheila,

I am 7 wks post op right now. My husband stayed with me at the

hospital the whole week which was absolutely necessary. Then he took

two more weeks off to be with me after I came home. I have a 13 y/o

that helped somewhat after that point but I didn't need as much help

by that time. At the three wk point I could get my own drinks and

make a sandwich but dinners was another issue. My neighbors & church

got together & made a schedule and for the first 5 weeks, my dinners

were brought in each evening. What a god send that was. 5 wks seemed

to be a turning point for me. I started showering by myself with the

shower chair of course, could help with dinner and some dishes, even

started doing laundry with my grabber. Still can't put socks on by

myself but I can dress myself as long as I don't have to pull the

bottom dresser drawer open, that is pretty much impossible yet. Make

sure you get a shower chair and a toilet seat extender (with handles

if you don't have a counter close to help pull you up). Thank god I

never needed help with wiping myself, but my husband did wash my hair

(which is quite long) for the first couple weeks. I had my husband

keep his cell phone on him and whenever i needed him when I was in bed

at home, I just texted him and he would wait on me & bring me whatever

I needed. I kept my pain meds on the bedstand next to me with a water

bottle with a pull up top. That way I didn't have to fool with

straws. I had a TV put in my bedroom because I couldn't find a chair

in the living room I could sit in for any time, the couch was

definitely not an option...to soft. And I have been reading

paperbacks as I found the hard covers were to heavy to read lying

down. My doctor wouldn't let me use a walker, said it made me lean

forward too much, so I used 2 canes for about the first week at home.

I bought about 8 plain white t-shirts to wear under my brace, the

colored ones made the brace stand out even more, and elastic top gym

shorts, anything with a snap or tie gets uncomfortable under the

brace. Have lots of pillows on your bed for when you get home. I

still use them to prop me a little to the side at night and always

have one between or under my knees. Don't feel guilty if you need to

rest, listen to your body, it knows best.

I hope you can find some of this useful. If I think of anything else

I will let you know. Best of luck.

> [ ] revision surgery

>

>

> Hi everyone, I do not post much, however I have been reading everyone

> posts and following recents surgeries. I have found it to be very

> helpful in finding a doctor that is able to help me. I am

scheduled to

> have my revision surgery Septemeber 10th with Dr.Lauerman in

Washington

> DC. I will be in the hospital for a week and then I will stay for one

> more week in DC with family. I live in Pa. so the doctor will not let

> me travel for two weeks. What I am most concerned about is how much

> help I will need with daily activities and for how long I will

need it

> after surgery. Does anyone have any helpful hints for before and

after

> surgery?

> Thanks,

> Sheila

>

Guest guest

Shiela,

I am sure if you have been reading along you know that we all vary

quite a bit in our timelines for recovery. A lot will depend on how

strong and fit you are going in....but regardless of what your

surgery situation is...it is probably best to plan for as much

support as you can muster in the early days at home. You can easily

cancel if you find you are managing more/better than you expected. I

think if you leave yourself shorthanded as far as having someone

around the first few weeks after surgery you may find yourself

overwhelmed. So call on family and friends to set a schedule to

cover all your usual duties, grocery shopping, meal preparation, dog

walking, chauferring kids around. Hire someone to come in and clean

for 3 months or until you can come up with an alternate plan. Teach

hubby and kids how to do wash now....as well as how to make a bed!

My husband took 3 months of FMLA leave. I was glad he was home for

the first 4-6 weeks...the next month it really was good that he was

around for caring for our then 8 year old....but I probably could

have managed somehow had he returned to work. Of course, he is a

pilot so when he works...he is away. If your spouse is home later in

the day or can check in if need be it would be something to consider.

I do remember talking about him going back to work when I was abbut 9

weeks from surgery but it would have really been more of a hassle to

go in since he had not bid for a schedule ...so he just stayed out

since our finances had already been set up to accomodate that.

I returned to work at 12 weeks parttime and full time by 2 weeks

later, but I was allowed to go to the break room and lay down if my

back got too achy. This is all anecdotal stuff though...it may or may

not be relevant to you!

If you go to the main website on the left had side you will see where

you can click on " Links " . Toward the bottom of that page are two good

links... " Resuming activities after scoliosis surgery " and " Preparing

for scoliosis surgery " . Both offer good tips and timelines.

Congratulations on finding your doctor and going on ahead with

surgery. We will all be puling for you and are here to hold your hand

along the way. I will put you on the calendar. If you have any other

questions please ask!

Take Care, Cam

Guest guest

Fabulous summary. Great for any newbie. Maybe put in Files?

Bonnie

[ ] revision surgery

Hi everyone, I do not post much, however I have been reading everyone posts and following recents surgeries. I have found it to be very helpful in finding a doctor that is able to help me. I am scheduled to have my revision surgery Septemeber 10th with Dr.Lauerman in Washington DC. I will be in the hospital for a week and then I will stay for one more week in DC with family. I live in Pa. so the doctor will not let me travel for two weeks. What I am most concerned about is how much help I will need with daily activities and for how long I will need it after surgery. Does anyone have any helpful hints for before and after surgery?Thanks, Sheila

Guest guest

Sheila,

Congratulations on your surgery date. It is a big step as you've read

on this board. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch. I'm reading the

messages sporadically and have been traveling. My surgery with Dr.

Lauerman was Oct 2, 2006. I hope you find him and his staff (Jill in

particular) very competant and easy to work with. I did post a " file "

about my experience.

On the everyone is different thought...I think I read he didn't give

one recent patient (?) a brace. I suppose I would have still

wanted one, but I didn't like it and weaned myself out of it a bit early.

I had some help at home from my sisters for the first week or so at

home (bathing and getting dressed/braced and meals during the day). My

husband took care of a lot for me too. Friends " walked " me every day.

I was able to do a bit more each day. Just take it slowly.

Feel free to email me with questions. I hope you have an experience

like I did - the bad pain memories are gone (mostly!) and I feel so

much better. I have more energy now that I am not fighting chronic pain.

Best,

Annette in Arlington

• 1 month later...

Hi Betty, What is Dr. Hey planning to do? (and at what levels?) .. you will be in my thoughts and prayers!! Ken.Betty Hazel <asburyb62@...> wrote: Hi Cam, Peggy, , and Everyone,I have decided to go ahead with my revision surgery in October instead of waiting for January. The wait was getting to me. My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Hey in Raleigh for Oct 9th. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

You will be very glad to get it over, and you'll be doing pretty well by Christmas. I can understand the "wait getting to me" comment. At least you have had some fusions recently so you somewhat know what to expect. We'll be thinking of you!

Peggy

[ ] Revision surgery

Hi Cam, Peggy, , and Everyone,I have decided to go ahead with my revision surgery in October instead of waiting for January. The wait was getting to me. My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Hey in Raleigh for Oct 9th. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

Hi Ken,

Dr. Hey is going to do an L3 posterior pedicle subtraction osteotomy with T2-iliac wing revision instrumentation and possible laminectomies in the area of the osteotomy. Also, probably laminectomy and fusion of T11 to T3 or 4, depending on results of the MRI and my physical condition after he completes the osteotomy. That's a mouthfull isn't it?Betty Asbury

Re: [ ] Revision surgery

Hi Betty,

What is Dr. Hey planning to do? (and at what levels?) .. you will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Ken.Betty Hazel <asburyb62 (DOT) com> wrote:

Hi Cam, Peggy, , and Everyone,I have decided to go ahead with my revision surgery in October instead of waiting for January. The wait was getting to me. My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Hey in Raleigh for Oct 9th. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

Thanks Peggy. I decided that I had rather be going back to work in January instead of going into surgery.

About getting off the meds, I had the same reaction in my legs and also a feeling of anxiety and needing to move constantly, when I weaned off the Percoset. It only lasted two days and the only thing that stopped it was Xanax. I had never taken Xanax before so it really put me out. I took a Xanax each night to sleep and after that I was home free. I really dread the pain medication but hopefully I won't be on it long. The first surgery I was off all pain meds in two weeks but the next time I took pain meds for three months.. No matter how many stool softeners I took, how much fluid I drank, or what kind of diet I was on, the constipation was terrible. But you're right, I do know pretty much what to expect. I just want to get it over with.

Did you have or do you know anyone with the illiac wing revision instrumentation? Betty Asbury

[ ] Revision surgery

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center.

Hi Betty ~ I think that it is wonderful that you are able to have your surgery done sooner! Once the decision is made the wait can be brutal!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! It will be nice that you will have some time under your belt so to speak before the big holiday!! Let us know if you need anything! Best wishes to you! SuzieQBetty Hazel <asburyb62@...> wrote: Hi Cam, Peggy, , and Everyone,I have decided to go ahead with my revision surgery in

October instead of waiting for January. The wait was getting to me. My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Hey in Raleigh for Oct 9th. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos more.

I have the iliac wing instrumentation as well.

Peggy

[ ] Revision surgery

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center.

P.S. And it took a note from the PA to prove to my PT that my pelvis was not going to move! He kept trying to get me to do pelvic tilts and rotate my hips and I told him they were fused! When he got the note and the x-rays he said "Now I understand why there's no movement there."

Peggy

[ ] Revision surgery

Betty,

October 9th....wow.....can you really be ready that fast? I know you

have been down this road and know the ropes....but it still requires a

fair amount of set up doesn't it? Or maybe you have everything in place

or know what needs doing, so it doens't matter? I suppose you have your

grabbers and toilet seat risers and health care proxy and will already

done. Perhaps it is best to just get it behind you.

I have you on the calendar. Of course we will all be thinking abut you

and sending our very best wishes for an excellent outcome your way on

the " big day " .

Please feel free to wring your hands here to spend some of your anxiety

as you await surgery. It's why we are here!

Take Care,

Cam

Thanks Cam. Yes, I think I'll be ready for the "big" day. I pretty much have everything in place, still getting forms completed for work etc. You guys are a big help. I never had anyone to communicate with before my other surgeries so this is great. Thanks! Betty Asbury

[ ] Re: Revision surgery

Betty,October 9th....wow.. ...can you really be ready that fast? I know you have been down this road and know the ropes....but it still requires a fair amount of set up doesn't it? Or maybe you have everything in place or know what needs doing, so it doens't matter? I suppose you have your grabbers and toilet seat risers and health care proxy and will already done. Perhaps it is best to just get it behind you.I have you on the calendar. Of course we will all be thinking abut you and sending our very best wishes for an excellent outcome your way on the "big day".Please feel free to wring your hands here to spend some of your anxiety as you await surgery. It's why we are here!Take Care, Cam

Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Autos new Car Finder tool.

Thanks SuzieQ! Betty Asbury

Re: [ ] Revision surgery

Hi Betty ~

I think that it is wonderful that you are able to have your surgery done sooner! Once the decision is made the wait can be brutal!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! It will be nice that you will have some time under your belt so to speak before the big holiday!! Let us know if you need anything!

Best wishes to you!

SuzieQBetty Hazel <asburyb62 (DOT) com> wrote:

Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.

• 3 weeks later...

Kimszym, My flatback was not "severe", but I also had left leg numbness and pain due to spinal stenosis. It is now GONE! I do think that my flatback would have continued to progress. Even if you decide to do surgery, I would go with a top surgeon b/c it is still the same surgery- fusion to the sacrum. kimszym <kimszym@...> wrote: I have been a member for while but this is my first post. I had my scoliosis surgery in 1986. I have Harrington Rods as well as wire connecting

the two rods. I had the rod's hook removed and fusion extended in 1996. I don't have flatback but am now facing possible (probable?) fusion L3 to S1 because of leg numbness and pain in my feet due to spinal stenosis. I am in the process of seeking a second opinion.My question is would you seek a second opinion and/or only be operated on my one of the "top" doctors that always get mentioned here? I am not in a state where any of the doctors practice but many (if not all) would be covered under my insurance.

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

Hi Kim,

Welcome to the world of posting! I think you will find that there is

a

whole new level of information and support now that you have jumped

in

the water.

First of all can I say that this group is called

because of the either/or nature of the predicatment many of us found

ourselves in long after our intitial HR surgery, flatbacked and

facing revision or just in need or revision...so the flatback

diagnosis is not a requirement for joining in the fun. You are as

welcome here as anybody...please don't feel you need to " qualify " .

I think I have to take your question and break it into two parts. You

asked " would you seek a second opinion and/or only be operated

on my one of the " top " doctors that always get mentioned here? " . For

me I realized that I couldn't come to a decision without making the

big decision a series of smaller ones, each relating to the other and

ultimately each small decison leading me to a different set of

decisions.

The first question you asked relates to getting a second opinion.

That is one part of the decision. The second question you asked had

to do with actually picking a surgeon. I believe that you should take

them as two different pieces of the puzzle. Your second, or third or

fourth opinion may not be the surgeon you choose. Or, you may get

several opinions and go back to #1. It really depends on what you

hear and how it feels to you once you have accomplished the " opinion "

stage.

I personally believe there is a lot of value in determining who you

can

get in to see for an opinion whom you believe has the most experience

successfully getting their patients to a good outcome. Unfortunately,

there are any number of surgeons who have had good outcomes that we

may

never hear about here....but having been a part of this and other

groups for awhile now I am convinced that practice makes perfect and

the surgery is evolving and perfecting itself, so whoever is doing

the

most of these surgeries probably has the best ability to help

determine

what your needs are (and will be).

In you case, by the little you have said, I would be somewhat

concerned

that if it turned out that further surgery (beyond what you are being

told you need now) is necessary, you are really increasing chances

for

problems or even inability to go back in and do what needs doing

should

flatback or other problems reveal themselves. So for that reason

alone

I personally would want the eyes of someone who had seen a lot

of " me " 's in their career. A subtle loss of sagittal balance can

easily

be compensated for in the early going. Are you positive this will

never

be a factor for you? Won't you feel best if you can have confidence

that this surgery won't need to be repeated if it turns out that a

small osteotomy would have made all the difference?

My personal recommmendation is to find a doctor who has a track

record

and success that is independantly verifiable by you and get an

opinion

from them. If it means you have to travel, so be it. It may not be

comfortable, but many of us have undertaken long journies to see

our " opinion " doctors and I don't recall anyone feeling that it was a

waste of time or that they didn't learn something.

Should you have surgery with a doctor at a distance from your home,

or,turned another way, should you have this surgery with someone just

because they are close in distance to you? For me, this was not an

option....I lived on an island, travel was going to be an hours boat

trip and 2-3 hours driving no matter who I chose....because once I

knew I needed surgery, I would never have pursued surgery with the

first doctor I saw on the mainland just because he was closest to

home. I made the decision to have surgery with whoever gave me the

opinions that made the most sense to me, and I would deal with the

matters that cropped up because of travel/time/distance as it came up.

Sure enough, my second opinion doctor, in some unidentifiable way,

crystallized all the reasons why I should have surgery with the first

opinion doctor....but I couldn't have known that until I did it.

Sounds

whacky, but I think it is not untypical to find that one experience

in

life allows you to " see " or " hear " or " understand " something in a new

or better way.

After you have a second opinion you may find that you feel more

confident with staying closer to home. Or you may go back to that

surgeon with more questions that need answering. I honestly can not

say

that I think it's a good idea to stay local and have surgery without

that good second opinion. And I would not have surgery with a local

surgeon unless I had good quality references from other patients who

had had the exact same surgery with a long enough interval

longitudinally to determine that the outcome is what I was hoping for

myself. If all those ducks line up...then you can move forward with

more confidence.

There are others here who have travelled a different road and I hope

they share their thoughts. I understand the wish to stay close to

home, but since it was never and option for me, I searched for ways

around it and found them.

You have probably heard this before, but it bears saying again: when

you have learned enough, and talked to enough doctors the moment will

come when you know who you will have surgey with. And, I do believe

that the confidence in your surgeon and their abilities is a big part

of the mental game in preparing for and recovering from this surgery.

It's expensive and can be painful and time consuming, but I think you

should travel to at least one other doctor who has worked with a lot

of

adult patients 20 years after the dreaded HR has been placed. I know

several of us have been told by our doctors that this is a " growth "

industry....so it would be unusual if you weren't experiencing some

problems by now.

Sorry to be so long winded ( and repititous!)....it is a difficult

subject, but as you can see I am quite passionate that people have

full access to all the information before they hit the " go " button.

It is a life altering experience and unfortunately there are no " do

overs " ...at least no way to come back to where you were before you

undergo this next surgery.

By the way, where do you live and who have you seen already? I can't

think of too many places in the country where you can not get to one

of the bigger names fairly easily by plane.

And please feel free to ask us all as many questions as you wish!

Take Care,

Cam

• 1 month later...

Sheila,

Glad you are doing well and got a good report! I had a spot on my anterior incision that stayed open for awhile. I just kept Neosporin and a bandage on it and it eventually closed up. The general surgeon remarked that he had trouble getting me to close up properly.

I know you will enjoy slowly getting out more and your pain should continue to diminish. Just take it slow and don't rush things.

Peggy

[ ] Revision surgery

Hello everyone,I had my six week check up yesterday. The doctor said I am progressing very well. The only problem is that there are two small spots on my incision that have opened up. He proscribed an antibiotic in case of infection. I was released to drive and start swimming after the incision heals. I am also able to remove the leg brace. I am not sure what the leg brace is for, so it makes me a bit nervous to remove it. I am experiencing tail bone pain after I lie on my back for a while at night, which makes it very difficult to roll over. However if that is my only complaint, I guess I am doing well.The surgery went well. I was in intensive care for five days do to vision and motor skill complications. I was given wonderful care in that unit. Once I was put in the orthopedic unit everything changed. The nursing staff was very bad! I suggest when having revision surgery, if possible bring someone to stay with you at all times. I do not mean to offend anyone in the nursing field, because I understand most hospital are under staffed. I would like to thank suzieq for being my mentor, and everyone at this forum. It was wonderful to have people to help me through this difficult time. Take care,Sheila

Sheila

I also had surgery with Dr Lauerman I sent you a private email

earlier today to see how you were doing. I never got to speak to you

before you went for surgery and exchange information with you. I am

glad you are doing good, I also was in intensive care and critical

care for almost my whole stay (2 weeks). When I was moved to the

orthopedic unit my husband stayed the night so I was real lucky I

can't say I had any bad nurse in that unit but I did experience a bad

one in the critical care unit.

I also had an appointment yesterday with Dr L (small world)

Well good healing

>

> Hello everyone,

> I had my six week check up yesterday. The doctor said I am

> progressing very well. The only problem is that there are two

small

> spots on my incision that have opened up. He proscribed an

> antibiotic in case of infection. I was released to drive and start

> swimming after the incision heals. I am also able to remove the

leg

> brace. I am not sure what the leg brace is for, so it makes me a

bit

> nervous to remove it. I am experiencing tail bone pain after I lie

on

> my back for a while at night, which makes it very difficult to roll

> over. However if that is my only complaint, I guess I am doing

well.

> The surgery went well. I was in intensive care for five days

> do to vision and motor skill complications. I was given wonderful

> care in that unit. Once I was put in the orthopedic unit

everything

> changed. The nursing staff was very bad! I suggest when having

> revision surgery, if possible bring someone to stay with you at all

> times. I do not mean to offend anyone in the nursing field,

because

> I understand most hospital are under staffed.

> I would like to thank suzieq for being my mentor, and everyone

at

> this forum. It was wonderful to have people to help me through this

> difficult time.

>

> Take care,

> Sheila

>

• 10 months later...

Dear Tonya,

Welcome to the group, sorry you find yourself needing further surgery, but you are among friends that have been or are going down the same path. I have had three post Harrington Rod surgeries, and am nearly six years years out from revision and doing well. I have osteoporosis( found in my early forties) and yes bone strength is important, because it's important in placement of ones hardware. It's kinda like, here you are falling apart spine wise, and bone strength is dwindling,so decisions do have to be made about surgery,but for most of us it's not an emergency, so theres time to consult surgeons for opinions, do research and make a informed decision. A great deal of us are in our early forties when Flatback raises it's ugly head, or at least when we recognise it, or a doc finally does and has a name and idea what to do for it. For some it comes on quite quickly, others like me lived for years and years with it, not knowing what it was and consulting docs who didn't either. The blessing of having it now, versus me when mine kicked in, the early eighties they had no idea what it was and I ran from doc to doc looking for answers knowing there just had to be an answer, and it took till 2000 to find a doc who diagnosised me and had a surgical plan to help me. Now it seems to be diagnosised sooner, and people get treated sooner, awareness of it is better.

Flatback turns you into a medical reader and researcher. The joy of this group is that besides the sharing back and forth, there is a lot of information on the site for those beginning their research. In the files section and data section, there is tons of good reading. Also branch out and read, just Google Flatback, so much info you can read, and read, and read. I'm still learning and I've been in the thick of this for eight years now. Keep a pad next to the computer, when you see a term you don't know write it down and research that too. Flatback, a loss of Lordosis, needs a structural fix to restore it, but many of us have a gamut of other problems that need to be addressed during the surgery, stenosis being one of them for some of us. The best thing you can do for your medical search is to request all office visits reports, but also when seeing a doc write any medical terms down, and research them too. When possible bring someone with you to all doctors appointments to catch all that is said, you can get overwhelmed with the medical -ease these doc talk in. Keep a list of questions you have while researching for your next visit, doc's love an informed patient, just don't hand your care to them, but participate in your care, decisions are always yours, and getting informed is your quest.

Are you still located in Georgia? We have members there that have had revision, and they would be a good start for you to look into doc's for opinions. It's good with such a complicated surgery to get at least two or three opinions on your case.

I'm glad I had the surgery, before hand due to pain, I was unable to walk more than a few feet, and could only stand for a couple of minutes till the pain got bad, and I had to sit down to resolve the pain. My world got smaller and smaller as it progressed. Since I didn't want to medicate it, and injections didn't help, I wanted the surgery done yesterday, in hopes of getting my life back. For me it was a bit complicated, did a lami/decompression first to hopefully stave off revision, only gave me a year till revision was needed. Had revision, did well, till my Harrington Rod fusion mass not touched during the revision cracked four months post op, so revision #2 was necessary to fix the crack, so they went into my thorasic region fused upwards from T5 to T1, replaced my hardware, and did a total reworking of my entire spine except my neck. I'm now fused T1 to the sacrum. Some things suck about being fused that much, I always feel as though I have a board strapped to my back, as my torso moves as one piece. I have no twisting ability, just a little at the shoulders. I can lean forward from the hips a bit, nothing that even compares to being able to bend, some have more of a ability to do that after surgery than me, I have an odd hardware configuration and for me I can only lean forward a few inches. I use grabbers for things on the ground or squat, or leave them there till family gets home. For the most part I get around it with tools and you get used to it. I'm without that awful pain, can walk and stand as much as I'd like, so the rest while inconvenient and frustrating sometimes, I'd never go back to my pre revision body. I'm more able bodied now than before, and grateful everyday for Dr. Kumar(Denver) and his skills, this surgery, and proud of myself that I never gave up my quest to find somebody who could fix me.

So my suggestion is to read everything, got through the site, member stories in the Files section is a good place to start, you will find yourself in the stories there. Ask questions, we aren't docs, but people who have the same thing and have been through the process. Welcome and we look forward to hearing more of your story!

Colorado Springs

[ ] revision surgery

Hi-I am new to this group as I have just been diagnosed with flatback syndrome. My initial surgery was done in 1983 at University Hospital in Augusta Georgia. Dr. performed the Harrington rod placement and I had a fairly normal recovery. In 2005, I had a laminectomy for a large herniation at L5-S1. Over the past year, I have had increasing lower back pain. A recent MRI showed another L5-S1 rupture. I consulted Dr. Dewberry (He has performed scoliosis surgeries on several aquaintences of mine). He performed additional x-rays and diagnosed me with flatback syndrome. He stated that I would eventually need to have revision surgery. He went over the risks and benefits as well as the complexity of this procedure. While it is not immediately pressing, he did state that this is not a procedure you want to have done at age fifty since the bones will loose density.I am currently 39 and have been diagnosed with osteopenia. Thus, I don't want to wait a long period of time to proceed. I am hoping to hear from others who have had revision surgery and learn of the pros and cons of their experiences. Also, can I have suggestions for additional sources of information on this syndrome and its treatment? I appreciate any information provided. Tonya

Hi Tonya,

Wecome to the group! I had revision surgery with Dr. Horton

at the Emory Spine Center here in Atlanta in 2005. If you are

looking for a second opinion I would highly recommend him. I also

had Harrington rod implementation in 1983, but it was done in Dallas,

Texas. I saw Dr. Horton for 7 years before I finally decided to have

the surgery. He told me years ago that I would eventually have to

have revision surgery and that I would know when it was time. I'm

now 59, also have osteopena (which was diagnosed at age 52 and has

improved over the past few years), and just had my 3 year " revision "

anniversary a week ago. I no longer have pain, I live a very active

lifestyle, and have never regretted having gone through the two day

anterior/posterior surgery.

We've all had the commonality of a flatback diagnosis, but there are

so many varying factors that make each of our cases different. It

may be age, previous surgeries, severity of curve, degree of saggital

imbalance, general health, etc. It's to your benefit to gather as

much information as you can about what's in the furture for you with

flatback. The members here are awesome and continue to be an

invaluable resouce and support.

Dianne Theis

Atlanta

>

> Hi-

>

> I am new to this group as I have just been diagnosed with flatback

> syndrome. My initial surgery was done in 1983 at University

Hospital

> in Augusta Georgia. Dr. performed the Harrington rod

> placement and I had a fairly normal recovery. In 2005, I had a

> laminectomy for a large herniation at L5-S1.

>

> Over the past year, I have had increasing lower back pain. A

recent

> MRI showed another L5-S1 rupture. I consulted Dr. Dewberry

(He

> has performed scoliosis surgeries on several aquaintences of

mine).

> He performed additional x-rays and diagnosed me with flatback

> syndrome. He stated that I would eventually need to have revision

> surgery. He went over the risks and benefits as well as the

> complexity of this procedure. While it is not immediately

pressing,

> he did state that this is not a procedure you want to have done at

> age fifty since the bones will loose density.

>

> I am currently 39 and have been diagnosed with osteopenia. Thus, I

> don't want to wait a long period of time to proceed. I am hoping

to

> hear from others who have had revision surgery and learn of the

pros

> and cons of their experiences. Also, can I have suggestions for

> additional sources of information on this syndrome and its

> treatment? I appreciate any information provided. Tonya

>

Dr. Shields, who is in with Dr. Dewberry, did my harrington

ron surgery in 1981. His " bedside manners " were not good. I would

go to him from time to time, if I was in paid. The last time, he

told me that he could no longer help me and not to go back. I have

been okay, except for the occasional overdoing something that caused

alot of pain. Until about 4 years ago.. I have had more and more

severe pain. Last summer my neck gave me hell. I have severa MRI's

done, they found nothing. Finally, A PT mentioned that it was

related to my surgery and my leaing forward and to the right. I wnet

on the Inernet and found flatback syndrome and it fit my symptons to

a " T " . I have read about revision surgery, but not sure I want do go

through that again. My pain control doctor has referred me to Dr.

Dewberry here in Savannah. I am not sure I would trust him to do any

revision surgery. I have been searching the inernet for doctors and

the closest recommened are in New York and Houston. None in Georgia.

How much pain are you in and are you able to work? Please keep me

posted. My appointment with Dr. Dewberry is October 9th. I was just

going to see him as a starting point. Never considered even thinking

of him doing any revision surgery. Thanks for your time.

Joanne

xity of this procedure. While it is not immediately pressing,

> he did state that this is not a procedure you want to have done at

> age fifty since the bones will loose density.

>

> I am currently 39 and have been diagnosed with osteopenia. Thus, I

> don't want to wait a long period of time to proceed. I am hoping

to

> hear from others who have had revision surgery and learn of the

pros

> and cons of their experiences. Also, can I have suggestions for

> additional sources of information on this syndrome and its

> treatment? I appreciate any information provided. Tonya

>

Hi Amy,

Welcome to the group.

Your question about what constitutes revision surgery is a little broad

actually. As a medical term, it simply mean the revision of any

previous surgery. So, for example, someone who has had a prior hip

surgery can have a " revision " if further intervention is required.

In the case of our particular group, we speak of " revision " for those

of us who have had prior scoiosis surgeries, with our groups main focus

being on those who have developed a condition known as flatback or

fixed sagittal imbalance. We also have members who have not developed

this partiular malady, but instead suffer from other effects of their

earlier scoliosis surgeries and require a revision anyway.

From the groups start page we have this information on those topics:

" Flatback deformity is a loss of normal lumbar lordosis, or curve. The

medical term for this is fixed sagittal imbalance. Flatback typically

develops when there has been a posterior spinal fusion with distraction

instrumentation (ex: Harrrington rod). It is often accompanied by

degeneration, instability, and stenosis. Most people also experience

fatigue and muscle pain. A leaning forward posture, or being " bent

over " is typical.

Often this leads to revision surgery, which includes instrumentation

and augmented fusion. Typically this reduces and stabilizes the

flatback deformity and reestablishs balance. With proper selection of

technique for each individual patient's spine, a qualified and skilled

surgeon may improve the patient's pain, quality of life, and functional

capacity. This is not an operation to be entered into lightly. "

Taking that information one step further often depends on what each

indiviual circumstances may be. Many times revision will require

extending the fusion to the sacrum, removal of all, or part, of the

prior instrumentation and placing new implants (rods, cages,

screws/bolts). The most critical portion of the surgery involves

reestablishing your lordosis (your backwaist) and making sure that your

are balanced....since once this fusion is over the patient will be

permanently " married " to this stance. The reseach shows that " balance "

is the number one factor that determines if a patient will be satisfied

with the effects of this surgery, in the long run.

Where are you at in your " journey " and are you suffereing the effects

of a prior scoliosis surgery?

Take Care, Cam