RemedySpot.com

Re: Question to those who have had surgery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I had surgery about 3 years ago and still not able to do alot of the things I did before surgery...I am thankful that I cut my hair...it was half way down my back and got a short page boy look...I know that my story is probably one that alot havent gone through so wont go into it yet due to not having time at this moment...my hair is still short and I had to get a hair piece to make my hair seem longer for my wedding on Dec 31...I wish you the best of luck and let me know how the surgery comes out...God bless and Jerry and I will be praying for you dturovac <dturovac@...> wrote: To all of you who have had surgery, could you please let me know your thoughts on the following: I am scheduled for surgery on January 28th and this may sound trivial, but here goes: Were you able to lift your arms to utilize a hair dryer? I'm not talking about the first few weeks, but shortly thereafter, probably when you first wash your hair(which I'm told is about two weeks post-op). I'm debating cutting my hair which is now almost shoulder length. My thought was that it would be easier long and be able to pull it back, but maybe just having it short would be easier. Also, if arms are not able to lift, must all clothing be button-down? , I have a "mentor" in Edie and she has given me a wealth of knowledge, particularly since I'm having surgery at the same hospital as she did, but I wanted more than one opinion on this. Thanks! Donna

T.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Donna, my hair is below the shoulders, and I didn't cut it before surgery, but really wished I had. I had no difficulty raising my arms, but being in bed so much, and not able to shower, meant my hair was an oily rat's nest most of the time I was in hospital/rehab. I can't say I cared much about my looks at the time -- I lived in a johnny by choice --, but it was inconvenient and uncomfortable. Any time I was able to sit up long enough I could comb my hair and put it in a pony tail, but my hair is very straight and smooth so any time spent in bed quickly returned it to chaotic pony tail status. They gave me some shampoo that doesn't need to be rinsed out, but it always felt greasy again a few hours later because of the shampoo residue.

I was scheduled for 2 surgery dates and 2 -- 3 weeks in the hospital, but ended up with 3 surgery dates and 6 weeks within the walls of New England Baptist. I had an unusual situation in that I needed neurosurgery to correct a split spinal cord before Dr. Rand could revise my fusion, and instead of the neurosurgery taking part of the first OR date, it took the whole day. I developed cerebrospinal fluid leaks from that, which made it miserable to be upright. While in rehab following op. 1, I made an appointment with a hairdresser who came to the rooms. I wanted at least a shampoo, and a cut if possible, but I had to cancel because I needed to lie down. So I went into op. 2 without having been shampooed for 2 weeks!

After my second surgery, in which the neurosurgeon patched 2 dural leaks, I still had some leaking, though not as bad, but I managed to walk, shower, and go home for 4 days before returning for op. 3. Again I toughed-out the dirty, tangled hair situation. But I'd cut my hair ahead of time if I had it to do over!

Sharon

[ ] Question to those who have had surgery

To all of you who have had surgery, could you please let me know your thoughts on the following:I am scheduled for surgery on January 28th and this may sound trivial, but here goes: Were you able to lift your arms to utilize a hair dryer? I'm not talking about the first few weeks, but shortly thereafter, probably when you first wash your hair(which I'm told is about two weeks post-op). I'm debating cutting my hair which is now almost shoulder length. My thought was that it would be easier long and be able to pull it back, but maybe just having it short would be easier. Also, if arms are not able to lift, must all clothing be button-down?, I have a "mentor" in Edie and she has given me a wealth of knowledge, particularly since I'm having surgery at the same hospital as she did, but I wanted more than one opinion on this.Thanks!Donna T.

Sharon,

Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards to short bob. I think

also the ponytail actually gives me a headache with I lie down too

now that I think about it.

Donna

>

> Donna, my hair is below the shoulders, and I didn't cut it before

surgery, but really wished I had. I had no difficulty raising my

arms, but being in bed so much, and not able to shower, meant my hair

was an oily rat's nest most of the time I was in hospital/rehab. I

can't say I cared much about my looks at the time -- I lived in a

johnny by choice --, but it was inconvenient and uncomfortable. Any

time I was able to sit up long enough I could comb my hair and put it

in a pony tail, but my hair is very straight and smooth so any time

spent in bed quickly returned it to chaotic pony tail status. They

gave me some shampoo that doesn't need to be rinsed out, but it

always felt greasy again a few hours later because of the shampoo

residue.

>

> I was scheduled for 2 surgery dates and 2 -- 3 weeks in the

hospital, but ended up with 3 surgery dates and 6 weeks within the

walls of New England Baptist. I had an unusual situation in that I

needed neurosurgery to correct a split spinal cord before Dr. Rand

could revise my fusion, and instead of the neurosurgery taking part

of the first OR date, it took the whole day. I developed

cerebrospinal fluid leaks from that, which made it miserable to be

upright. While in rehab following op. 1, I made an appointment with

a hairdresser who came to the rooms. I wanted at least a shampoo,

and a cut if possible, but I had to cancel because I needed to lie

down. So I went into op. 2 without having been shampooed for 2 weeks!

>

> After my second surgery, in which the neurosurgeon patched 2 dural

leaks, I still had some leaking, though not as bad, but I managed to

walk, shower, and go home for 4 days before returning for op. 3.

Again I toughed-out the dirty, tangled hair situation. But I'd cut

my hair ahead of time if I had it to do over!

>

> Sharon

>

>

> [ ] Question to those who have had surgery

>

>

> To all of you who have had surgery, could you please let me know

your

> thoughts on the following:

>

> I am scheduled for surgery on January 28th and this may sound

trivial,

> but here goes: Were you able to lift your arms to utilize a hair

> dryer? I'm not talking about the first few weeks, but shortly

> thereafter, probably when you first wash your hair(which I'm told

is

> about two weeks post-op). I'm debating cutting my hair which is

now

> almost shoulder length. My thought was that it would be easier

long

> and be able to pull it back, but maybe just having it short would

be

> easier. Also, if arms are not able to lift, must all clothing be

> button-down?

>

> , I have a " mentor " in Edie and she has given me a wealth

of

> knowledge, particularly since I'm having surgery at the same

hospital

> as she did, but I wanted more than one opinion on this.

>

> Thanks!

> Donna T.

>

You're welcome, Donna. I think you'll be glad you cut it short.

Sharon

[ ] Question to those who have had surgery> > > To all of you who have had surgery, could you please let me know your > thoughts on the following:> > I am scheduled for surgery on January 28th and this may sound trivial, > but here goes: Were you able to lift your arms to utilize a hair > dryer? I'm not talking about the first few weeks, but shortly > thereafter, probably when you first wash your hair(which I'm told is > about two weeks post-op). I'm debating cutting my hair which is now > almost shoulder length. My thought was that it would be easier long > and be able to pull it back, but maybe just having it short would be > easier. Also, if arms are not able to lift, must all clothing be > button-down?> > , I have a "mentor" in Edie and she has given me a wealth of > knowledge, particularly since I'm having surgery at the same hospital > as she did, but I wanted more than one opinion on this.> > Thanks!> Donna T.>

Dear Donna,

Doc's and when they let you shower and wash your hair after surgery varies, and if you are staged or not. I had my revision in one day of surgery, and I took a shower and washed my hair while still in the hospital at about day 5, went home day 7. PT/OT came in and taped saran wrap over the incision and away I went. My hubby did that at home too till the staples came out. You aren't going to feel like blow drying your hair for awhile, I sure didn't. As long as you keep your elbows bent and arms close to the body, you'll be surprised how much you can do without lifting your arms above your head( a no-no after surgery). I wish I had cut mine too, you will not feel like messing with it. I thought about corn rowing mine, might have been a good option.

Talk it over with your doc as to when you get to shower, all of them are different. I got stuff on over my head just fine. Know when you are first home you'll need some help dressing, but you'll get the hang of it quickly, and your stamina will improve. When I got home and took a shower, after I was finished I had to sleep for a couple of hours I was sooooo exhausted. Also a handheld shower head is great for doing stuff while sitting on your shower chair( you'll need a shower chair). Pt/OT are very good at teaching you how to handle your restrictions and won't send you home till you are able to handle the basics( and know you will need someone with you for those first showers).

Hope that helps!

Colorado Springs

To all of you who have had surgery, could you please let me know your thoughts on the following:I am scheduled for surgery on January 28th and this may sound trivial, but here goes: Were you able to lift your arms to utilize a hair dryer? I'm not talking about the first few weeks, but shortly thereafter, probably when you first wash your hair(which I'm told is about two weeks post-op). I'm debating cutting my hair which is now almost shoulder length. My thought was that it would be easier long and be able to pull it back, but maybe just having it short would be easier. Also, if arms are not able to lift, must all clothing be button-down?, I have a "mentor" in Edie and she has given me a wealth of knowledge, particularly since I'm having surgery at the same hospital as she did, but I wanted more than one opinion on this.Thanks!Donna T.

I think it depends on how your hair does, too. When I have short hair or bangs, I am forced to wash it every day in order to get it to look right and not stick up all over. With my long hair I can just pull it back in a pony tail and go. My hair is very thick and wavy. I look good in short hair but it requires too much maintenance for me.

Peggy

, I was never told lifting my arms over my head was a no-no after revision, and I'm sure I must have done so. I know I did, because I put things in and out of my kitchen cabinets right after returning home 13 days after surgery. I was careful not to bend, twist, or hyper-extend my back, and I healed just fine.

Every case is different, and surgeons all seem to emphasize different concerns. If I'd even known that some revision surgeons said no-no to arms above head I would have asked about it.

Sharon

I didn't have that restriction either but I assume it depends on how far up the revision goes. Mine only went up to L1. But I bet those fused up into the thoracic area aren't allowed to raise their arms for awhile.

Peggy

Good point, Peggy. I was re-instrumented to T4, but only re-fused in the lower lumbar.

Sharon

Dear Peggy and Sharon,

Good point Peggy, I was fused another four levels during my last revision into the thorasic T-5 up to T-1. Revisions sometimes due mean work into the thorasic area like mine did, besides all the lumbar work. After my first revision which was all lumbar, anterior and posterior, I was given those same restrictions. Kumar wasn't big on restrictions, not many at all compared to all I've heard the Bridwell folks have had, but I was told that by PT/OT and took it as gospel.

Donna, I had my hair cut shorter before surgery. I did not have any problems using my arms. It was about a week and a half before I could shampoo and dry my hair. I wore camis for about four weeks after surgery. Best of luck to you with your up coming surgery. Take care, Sheiladturovac <dturovac@...> wrote: To all of you who have had surgery, could you please let me know your thoughts on the following:I am scheduled for surgery on January 28th and

this may sound trivial, but here goes: Were you able to lift your arms to utilize a hair dryer? I'm not talking about the first few weeks, but shortly thereafter, probably when you first wash your hair(which I'm told is about two weeks post-op). I'm debating cutting my hair which is now almost shoulder length. My thought was that it would be easier long and be able to pull it back, but maybe just having it short would be easier. Also, if arms are not able to lift, must all clothing be button-down?, I have a "mentor" in Edie and she has given me a wealth of knowledge, particularly since I'm having surgery at the same hospital as she did, but I wanted more than one opinion on this.Thanks!Donna T.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Donna,

I had short hair before surgery, and shaved it even shorter right

beforehand (using the longest clipper guard on my hubby's shaver), so

it was really short. I know that most women wouldn't want to go

quite that short, but I am so happy that I did that. It made things

soooo much easier in the hospital. I couldn't shower until about 2

1/2 weeks after my surgery, so my hair would have been horrid by

then. Well, it still was gross, but not as bad as it could have

been. And with hair that short, those rinseless shampoo caps worked

really well for me.

I was given the arm-raising restriction too like , though I had

no thoracic work done. It was fine to raise my arms up to my head if

my elbows were tucked in, but no reaching up (like to get something

out of a cabinet). Be sure to ask your surgeon his opinion on it, as

it seems that everyone differs with their experiences! I was able to

get t-shirts on with no problems - just put your arms in first

without lifting them up, then carefully bend your neck forward just

enough to help get it thru the hole. When I do that, my arms never

go above my head. Obviously be careful that you're not leaning

forward as you bend your neck, and be sure that your fusion isn't so

high that bending your neck is off-limits. If that's the case, then

the button-down shirts may be a good alternative!

Good luck during these last few weeks before your surgery. It will

go by quickly!

>

your

>

trivial,

is

now

long

be

> button-down?

>

> , I have a " mentor " in Edie and she has given me a wealth of

hospital

>

> Thanks!

> Donna T.

>

I agonized over cutting my booty length dreadlocks, but y'all can

say 'I told you so' because I am very glad that I did! I hadn't had

short hair since I was 5 years old and I was very surprised how much I

liked it.

>

> You're welcome, Donna. I think you'll be glad you cut it short.

>

> Sharon

>

>

I only recall being told not to lift weights above my shoulders, I

don't think I was told not to lift my arms over my head. After

tearing the rotator cuff and then developing frozen shoulder, that

was the whole pupose of 5 months of PT!! I am happy to report that

my shoulder is about 90% normal now.

I had a shower chair of my mom's, but I never used it. My doctor

didn't allow a shower until 2 weeks after the second surgery, but the

big caution was not to do any twisting while in the shower. My

husband helped me shower for the first month or so.

>

> Dear Donna,

>

> Doc's and when they let you shower and wash your hair after surgery

varies, and if you are staged or not. I had my revision in one day of

surgery, and I took a shower and washed my hair while still in the

hospital at about day 5, went home day 7. PT/OT came in and taped

saran wrap over the incision and away I went. My hubby did that at

home too till the staples came out. You aren't going to feel like

blow drying your hair for awhile, I sure didn't. As long as you keep

your elbows bent and arms close to the body, you'll be surprised how

much you can do without lifting your arms above your head( a no-no

after surgery). I wish I had cut mine too, you will not feel like

messing with it. I thought about corn rowing mine, might have been a

good option.

>

> Talk it over with your doc as to when you get to shower, all of

them are different. I got stuff on over my head just fine. Know when

you are first home you'll need some help dressing, but you'll get the

hang of it quickly, and your stamina will improve. When I got home

and took a shower, after I was finished I had to sleep for a couple

of hours I was sooooo exhausted. Also a handheld shower head is great

for doing stuff while sitting on your shower chair( you'll need a

shower chair). Pt/OT are very good at teaching you how to handle your

restrictions and won't send you home till you are able to handle the

basics( and know you will need someone with you for those first

showers).

>

> Hope that helps!

>

>

> Colorado Springs

> [ ] Question to those who have had surgery

>

>

your

>

trivial,

is

now

long

be

> button-down?

>

> , I have a " mentor " in Edie and she has given me a wealth

of

hospital

>

> Thanks!

> Donna T.

>