RemedySpot.com

Re: Rheumatology

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I had one done between revision one and two, had no reaction to the dye. Where I had it done at the hospital they did it on a very narrow bench like table, where my shoulders kinda hung off, and the whole time the scan was going on I was fighting not to fall off the danged thing. It was very uncomfortable. If I had to do it over I would have had some kind of premeds if at all possible, as I was sore and hurting when it was over. I'd call and ask about what the table is like they do it on, maybe it was just where I had mine done, but always best to be pre warned. Mine also took awhile, not as bad as a myleogram, but wasn't fun either. Here's hoping they do it much better now than in 2002, and it will be a piece of cake for you!

Colorado Springs

[ ] Rheumatology

Hi all,I have a question for you all. Has anyone had a bone scan done after revision. I know they are shooting radioactive dye and I wanted to know if anybody had an issue with it?I saw a Rheumatologist at Lahey Clinic and he didn't think I had had it.Though he thinks it may be some form of arthritis. I have pain, achy and stiff in my hands, feet and hips. I know the hips have arthritis but I think the pain started again because I gained about 20 lbs but he wants to do a scan anyway. He did a bunch of x-rays about 17 in all. I would hate to see that bill. Thank God I have insurance. They also did a myriad of blood tests. I won't know anything about all that until Monday but I was wondering about the scan. It is scheduled in two weeks time. Thanks,

I did. I had to go to the hosp. about 3 or so hours before the scan to get the injection of dye. No side effects at all from the dye. When I went back for the scan, it took about an hour, I guess for the scan to complete (it moves very slow). Mine was the whole body though - I don't know if that's the "norm", but I think it might be. It was really a trip seeing my skeleton on the films.

They'll tell you to drink plenty of water from the time of the injection and time of the scan. It mainly helps clear the dye out of your bladder so the bones behind it can be better seen.

I got the films (pictures) on a cd. Seeing your entire skeleton enables you to see how your whole body is affected with scoliosis. The ribs, any limb length difference, etc. Though that isn't what they're looking for, but it does provide a full bodied view for you to see. As far as my hardware, the pictures taken from the front side don't show the old rod & the revision cages, bolts, etc. but the picture taken of the back show them but they aren't nearly as visible as in a standard x-ray.

Hope they find something they can fix.

G

[ ] Rheumatology

Hi all,I have a question for you all. Has anyone had a bone scan done after revision. I know they are shooting radioactive dye and I wanted to know if anybody had an issue with it?I saw a Rheumatologist at Lahey Clinic and he didn't think I had had it.Though he thinks it may be some form of arthritis. I have pain, achy and stiff in my hands, feet and hips. I know the hips have arthritis but I think the pain started again because I gained about 20 lbs but he wants to do a scan anyway. He did a bunch of x-rays about 17 in all. I would hate to see that bill. Thank God I have insurance. They also did a myriad of blood tests. I won't know anything about all that until Monday but I was wondering about the scan. It is scheduled in two weeks time. Thanks,

I posted my experience before I read 's experience. Mine was in 2007 and I was on a pretty comfortable bed type bench. It had a padded mattress and was plenty wide enough as well. , I can't imagine you having to lay like that for that amount of time. That sounds horrible - like a myelogram I had where I was lying on a stainless steel table with no blanked, padding or anything and it was horrible - and at a different hospital than where my bone scan was done.

, since my experience and 's are so opposite, you might want to call that department and talk with someone and ask about the type table or bed you'll be lying on. They put blankets on me so I wasn't cold either. Oh, they put a rubber band around my ankles to better hold my feet/legs together & still - that helped me in having one less thing to worry about. The rubber band was big and stretchy enough that it didn't interfere with my circulation.

Also, the "thing" that moved from bottom to top of your body that picks up the images is very close to your body but you are in no way encased in a tube or capsule so there's no worry about feeling enclosed like during a MRI.

As far as paiin/meds, I learned a long time ago to take my own as they don't normally give you anything. I took something to keep me calm and something for pain so it would be working it's strongest in my system during the procedure. I was sore and it hurt some lying flat for so long. I think being on a better bed/table helped minimize my pain (along with meds) versus the "bench" that poor had to endure.

I asked them when I went for the injection if any medications would interfere with the effectnivess of the dye, told them what I was planning to take and got their ok to do so.

I would call to find out what type of bed/surface you'll be on - and if you explain your special body type I'd bet (or would hope) they'd plan for something more comfortable for you.

G

[ ] Rheumatology

Hi , ,

I'll give them a buzz and find out what kind of table it is. It

doesn't sound too bad. I shall endure. Thanks,

>

> I posted my experience before I read 's experience. Mine was

in 2007 and I was on a pretty comfortable bed type bench. It had a

padded mattress and was plenty wide enough as well. , I can't

imagine you having to lay like that for that amount of time. That

sounds horrible - like a myelogram I had where I was lying on a

stainless steel table with no blanked, padding or anything and it was

horrible - and at a different hospital than where my bone scan was

done.

>

> , since my experience and 's are so opposite, you might

want to call that department and talk with someone and ask about the

type table or bed you'll be lying on. They put blankets on me so I

wasn't cold either. Oh, they put a rubber band around my ankles to

better hold my feet/legs together & still - that helped me in having

one less thing to worry about. The rubber band was big and stretchy

enough that it didn't interfere with my circulation.

>

> Also, the " thing " that moved from bottom to top of your body that

picks up the images is very close to your body but you are in no way

encased in a tube or capsule so there's no worry about feeling

enclosed like during a MRI.

>

> As far as paiin/meds, I learned a long time ago to take my own as

they don't normally give you anything. I took something to keep me

calm and something for pain so it would be working it's strongest in

my system during the procedure. I was sore and it hurt some lying

flat for so long. I think being on a better bed/table helped

minimize my pain (along with meds) versus the " bench " that poor

had to endure.

>

> I asked them when I went for the injection if any medications would

interfere with the effectnivess of the dye, told them what I was

planning to take and got their ok to do so.

>

> I would call to find out what type of bed/surface you'll be on -

and if you explain your special body type I'd bet (or would hope)

they'd plan for something more comfortable for you.

>

> G

> [ ] Rheumatology

>

>

> Hi all,

> I have a question for you all. Has anyone had a bone scan done

after

> revision. I know they are shooting radioactive dye and I wanted

to know

> if anybody had an issue with it?

> I saw a Rheumatologist at Lahey Clinic and he didn't think I