RemedySpot.com

Re: just for revision?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

While revision is a big topic here, there is also discussion about dealing with Flatback through other modalities,such as PT, injections, exercise, massage, and pain mgt. For some, getting revised isn't possible due to other medical problems, age, and some plain don't have insurance to handle the massive costs of the surgery. There will always be some that want to handle it in other ways, and forgo surgery at all costs.

With the conversation here, it's a back and forth, if you aren't seeing a discussion you would like to have, bring up what is concerning you, you'd be surprised how many are feeling the same things.

With Flatback it's a structural problem, and I wish it fixable with other non surgical methods, but it is what it is. These other ideas help with pain and for some get them far more comfortable. I tried many of them myself, and for me they did little to nothing, so surgery was my next step in the process. I would have loved it if I didn't have to go through my three post Harrington Rod surgeries( a decompression and two revisions), but for me surgery was necessary after I exhausted the other options. I truly had lived with Flatback and it's pain and affects for more than 15 years before I got diagnosised, so on the coping side, I was a pro, had been doing it for years and years. By the time I got diagnosised I wanted it fixed yesterday, I was fed up. I think most of us only come to the Revision conclusion because our lives have gotten so small from pain, that we want the opportunity to get more comfortable and less disabled.

Revision has been a gift for me, but we all know just what complicated surgery it is. I have been around these formats since my diagnosis in 2000, and have spoken to hundreds of guys and gals in these past years through this group and another. I think we send out a pretty real picture of just what this syndrome is and how many of us cope with it. Do most here have the surgery, sure, but there are a lot just dealing with it. Actively and posting, more of us are on the other side of revision trying to help those who are new, or those who have just been through surgery. Most of the time there is a core of members who post, far less than our membership which is in the hundreds, I'd say we probably only have at one time about thirty members who actively post and answer questions. Far more read, many of them daily, but just don't chime in on the conversation.

I guess by posting what you did, you will get a lot of posts from those who aren't revised, and a new conversation will be started. Most of us speak to what we know and experienced, so I look forward to hearing your point of view, thats what we are here for, to share and listen!

Colorado Springs

[ ] just for revision?

Is this site just for revision discussions?

Hello Foxtrott1234, sounds like, by your name that you have an interest in ballroom dancing. Regarding your question about this site being just for revision discussions, I would say that since the name of this forum is that it is pretty much about that, and most people who have found this site by searching the internet have been looking for information about scoliosis and post Harrington rod implantees who've found themselves dealing with new problems in the lumbar spine anywhere from 10 to 40 years post scoliosis surgery with Harrington rod implant. However, I've seen many posts and conversations about scoliosis in general where members who've not yet decided to have revision surgery, or who's doctor has recommended them to not have revision surgery, either now or ever for whatever their individual situation is. The name of this site is "scoliosis veterans * flatback sufferers * revision candidates " so that's pretty much an accurate description of the members, what brought them here, the "commonality", if you will.

Do you have scoliosis? Have you had any corrective surgeries? Are you one of the most of us who were initially surgically treated in our teen years for scoliosis with spinal fusion inclusive of the Harrington rod implant, some type of casting or bracing for up to a year after surgery? If so, how long ago was that and how has your back held up over the years? If you have scoliosis and have encountered flatback or other problems after your initial corrective surgery then you've found the right group for support.

G

[ ] just for revision?

Is this site just for revision discussions?