RemedySpot.com

Re: 60 degree plus curve

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Blessmyown,

I myself went into revision not really looking for improvements in how I appeared, the results I got surprised me more than I thought they would. I think most of us are driven to the surgery by pain, at least I was, and I was looking also to have my torso brought back up from being bent over. My last revision entailed work not only in my lumbar region, but also the thorasic, as I had big curves in both areas. I find having level hips and pretty danged level shoulders just amazing, as pre surgery my right shoulder was significantly lower. You plain look better. Being completely upright is also amazing, as I was looking at the floor before surgery. I gained 2 and 1/2 inches in height, truly I only noticed that when I was taller than my sister-in-law who for years was the same height as me. My curve reduction in my Thorasic was huge, alas in my lumbar I still have a pretty significant curve, as bone quality there was affected by osteoporosis, and they were unable to place screws at some levels. My x-rays are in the files section under photos, I'm from Colorado. I'm thankful to Dr. Kumar that during surgery after placing the hardware he was not perfectly happy, and he removed the hardware and replaced it to give me a better correction. Also something that improved vastly was the hump I had over the left lumbar region, before surgery mine was huge, to the point I never wore anything that remotely fit, as I would draw comments about it. Now I can pass for normal, just amazing. Before surgery due to that hump and the resulting under developed muscles on the other side, I had a groove there at my waist, and it was impossible to wear jeans, as the waist band would get in there and dig, and cause rawness and blisters. I now wear jeans daily, and that problem is solved. Do I have a waist, sort of, I'm a girl that struggles with weight, so that is more a result of weight than my surgery. Am I perfect, No, but tons better, yes, to the point where my deformity no longer draws attention. Since so much of my spine is fused T1 to the sacrum, I do have permanent" Good Posture", as I couldn't slump if I wanted to, and sometimes I think that looks a bit artificial. Dr. Kumar when he sees me frets over the fact my shoulders aren't perfect, I have the tiniest droop on the right, I told him I'm completely happy, and he should get over it, but you know these guys they love perfection in their work. I also find that having the pain removed makes you feel and act younger, I feel so much better, It also reads in my face and how I carry myself. While all this surprised me, I'm so grateful for the cosmetic changes, as I never knew how they affected me emotionally. The changes really lifted my spirits, and clothes are a joy now, not something I use to hide my deformity in. While I never went into revision to have those changes, I wanted a reduction in pain and to be upright, all the other changes have been amazing, and have given me my biggest surprise, a very welcome one.

Colorado Springs

[ ] 60 degree plus curve

It has been awhile since I posted, so my prayers and thoughts are withall the new members and those of us undergoing surgery in the comingnew year.My fusion was in 1971-1972, with Harringtons, which were removed ayear later. Now, as with most of us, I'm suffering the effects offlatback, sciatica, bursitis, etc. My curve has progressed a smallbit, which is disheartening to say the least.I did ask this question a few years ago, but am looking for an update:Has anyone experienced a straightening of their spine upon revision?Has the lateral curve been reduced? Are you taller and have a waist?Thanks for the updates and I look forward to hearing your comments!Ccc

I'm taller (about 1.5 inches). My first fusion in 1981 got me fairly straight and it was a solid fusion. So curve is about the same, but now I have lordosis and less kyphosis.

From: blessmyown <blessmyown@...>Subject: [ ] 60 degree plus curve Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 10:21 PM

It has been awhile since I posted, so my prayers and thoughts are withall the new members and those of us undergoing surgery in the comingnew year.My fusion was in 1971-1972, with Harringtons, which were removed ayear later. Now, as with most of us, I'm suffering the effects offlatback, sciatica, bursitis, etc. My curve has progressed a smallbit, which is disheartening to say the least.I did ask this question a few years ago, but am looking for an update:Has anyone experienced a straightening of their spine upon revision?Has the lateral curve been reduced? Are you taller and have a waist?Thanks for the updates and I look forward to hearing your comments!Ccc