Guest guest

i would first rule out hypothyroidism as the cause...since it can be

associated.

cindi

>

> hello

> Has anyone out there had any success dealing with apnea. I would

like to know what works for you and the success or otherwise of

surgical procedures done, and which one(s).

Guest guest

My goodness I didnt know there was surgery for sleep apnea. Especially

as it it easily overcome with a c-pap machine.

It is common to get sleep apnea with hypothyroid so I would agree with

the previous poster to get your thyroid levels checked out.

jenny

> >

> > hello

> > Has anyone out there had any success dealing with apnea. I would

> like to know what works for you and the success or otherwise of

> surgical procedures done, and which one(s).

>

Guest guest

thanks, yes there are a few procedures, non of which are better than 50% successful. I cant get on wih a cpap m/c. sandrafreeman9007 <freemangoldcoast@...> wrote: My goodness I didnt know there was surgery for sleep apnea. Especiallyas it it easily overcome with a c-pap machine. It is common to get sleep apnea with hypothyroid so I would agree withthe previous poster to get your thyroid levels checked out. jenny> >> > hello> > Has anyone out there had any success dealing with apnea. I would > like to know what works for you and the success or otherwise of > surgical procedures done, and which one(s).>

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Yeah, I had that back when. I did have surgery, to move my jaw forward, and orhodontia. It was NOT for the apnea, but it did cure the apnea.I think the " root cause " is a malformed mouth ... something Price documented with his camera and you can see every day in most grade schools. He believed it was the " modern diet " , but never proved what about the modern diet causes it. I tend to think it might be lack of Vit D (cod live oil seems to help people) or lack of Vit K (our gut bacteria are severely messed up). Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to affect people on their " native diets " ... their faces are far wider and so they don't have the apnea problems. Or crowded teeth. Like I said, I don't know exactly what causes it. My own kids went on a gluten-free diet about 6 years ago, and their faces are WIDE ... unlike both their parents and their grandparents. The younger one has a wider face than the older one. In our case, I suspect the gluten intolerance messed up the absorption of some nutrient or how bones are formed.

Me, I got the orthodontia and surgery. My dh: he uses CPAP. My kids: I hope they'll be ok.-- On 4/17/07, sandra zenishek

<vamoonraker@...> wrote:

hello Has anyone out there had any success dealing with apnea. I would like to know what works for you and the success or otherwise of surgical procedures done, and which one(s). thanks, sandra

Guest guest

thanks for replying heather. I have heard of the weston price theory, it is interesting. Can you say why did you had your jaw moved forward? and do you consider the surgery successful? do u think the orthodontics helped the apnea? An apnea dr told me jaw surgeries are seldom successful and I was urged to try an appliance used at night, it kept the tongue in place and gradually moved the jaw forward but users of this appliance have to push the jaw back every morning, which I didnt find much fun, then I got some kind of sinus infection that caused pain in my jaw and I gave up the appliance as well...sigh I am glad yr kids have wide faces, I have tried gluten free, it is very difficult to stick to. are u casein free too? sandra

Guest guest

They broke my jaw in back and moved it forward, so it is longer. It DID solve the apnea. It was combined with orthodontics: they couldn't have done one without the other. But if they had JUST moved my front teeth back, my mouth would be *smaller* so the apnea would have been worse. Right now, my mouth is still too small.

Now, my husband has the same problem. But ... our kids have very wide, big mouths with no crowding problems. And of course they have our genes! The younger one NEVER got gluten, the older one had it for a few years ... and the younger one has a bigger mouth than the older one. So yeah, I blame the gluten. Both of them had milk and still get it, though not as often as we used to drink it. The Price tribes who had good teeth didn't get wheat, except the Swiss, who had rye (a close relative, but still not wheat). He constantly mentions the evils of " white flour " , though he felt brown flour should be ok. There were no stats on people eating brown flour though, that that remains an unproven theory.

I don't find the gluten-free diet difficult at all, at this point. Until 100-200 years ago, only a small percentage of humans on earth ate wheat, and most cuisines don't need it. And it's easy enough to substitute in most recipes. Eating out is a bear for me, because small amounts of wheat make me rather ill, but the rest of my family doesn't actually react openly to small amounts, so they just have steak or fish when we go out, not pasta. Since we've been doing more home cooking they refuse to eat the " cheap " stuff they used to like (like Mc's fries, which used to be a favorite: now they tell me fries smell weird and they won't eat them).

Plus since I went GF I don't get migraines, or have arthritis, or get those terrible depressive moodswings I suffered with for years, or the IBS or dry mouth or sore feet or itchy skin. So THIS lifestyle is a piece of cake (pun intended!). The diet isn't hard to stick to because, if I eat wheat, I'm sick, very sick, for about 3 days. We do eat stuff like brownies, pies, cakes, pasta ... but they are not made with wheat. Personally I do better on vegies though, so I tend to eat large quantities of say, sliced raw carrots with garlic sauce, or artichokes, or stir-fry, or peanut-butter apples. I like things that are juicy and *crunch*.

I think the issues with wheat are probably complicated though by the bromine issue. It could be that one of the reasons people get better on the GF diet is that the wheat is commonly processed with bromine, and that plus the general lack of iodine causes a multitude of problems. Milk probably has bromine too, since they seem to have switched to bromine disinfectants for cow udders. Since lack of iodine might be implicated with the general tendency to develop allergies, and allergies (esp. the IgA ones) might be implicated in lack of iodine, it gets very complicated. In general though, I think that the part of wheat gluten that isn't digestible (the 33mer peptide) is just *bad stuff* for human beings. Since most bread products have *added* gluten these days (plus the bromine ... and transglutamase), people are better off avoiding the stuff.

-- On 4/19/07, sandra zenishek <vamoonraker@...> wrote:

thanks for replying heather. I have heard of the weston price theory, it is interesting. Can you say why did you had your jaw moved forward? and do you consider the surgery successful? do u think the orthodontics helped the apnea?

An apnea dr told me jaw surgeries are seldom successful and I was urged to try an appliance used at night, it kept the tongue in place and gradually moved the jaw forward but users of this appliance have to push the jaw back every morning, which I didnt find much fun, then I got some kind of sinus infection that caused pain in my jaw and I gave up the appliance as well...sigh

I am glad yr kids have wide faces, I have tried gluten free, it is very difficult to stick to. are u casein free too? sandra

Guest guest

thanks heather, that is very interesting. did u have much problem with your bite after the operation or did the braces take care of that and for how long after did the surgery hurt? and can you describe more about your 'sore feet' also I have tried making cakes etc with alternative flours and they were just awful. do you have any good recipes or send a website maybe? thanks, sandra

Guest guest

I also think that the reason for many mouth/jaw abnormalities are due to children being bottle fed rather than breastfed. It is a completely different sucking action. My jaw is narrow, the roof of my mouth is quite high. Neither of my children are. They have nice, wide jaws, and a normal palate. They were breastfed, I was bottle fed.

Best,http://www.ChestnutHillDesigns.comBlog ~ http://shellyct.blogspot.com/

~One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing.~ -- Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

Now, my husband has the same problem. But ... our kids have very wide, big mouths with no crowding problems. And of course they have our genes! The younger one NEVER got gluten, the older one had it for a few years ... and the younger one has a bigger mouth than the older one. So yeah, I blame the gluten. Both of them had milk and still get it, though not as often as we used to

Guest guest

michelle this is OT, I will reply privately, very interesting sandra Ives <mmives@...> wrote: I also think that the reason for many mouth/jaw abnormalities are due to children being bottle fed rather than breastfed. It is a completely different sucking action. My jaw is narrow, the roof of my mouth is quite high. Neither of my children are. They have nice, wide jaws, and a normal palate. They were breastfed, I was bottle

fed. Best,http://www.ChestnutHillDesigns.comBlog ~ http://shellyct.blogspot.com/ ~One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing.~ -- Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891 Now, my husband has the same problem. But ... our kids have very wide, big mouths with no crowding problems. And of course they have our genes! The younger one NEVER got gluten, the older one had it for a few years ... and the younger one has a bigger mouth

than the older one. So yeah, I blame the gluten. Both of them had milk and still get it, though not as often as we used to .

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

My bite is perfect now. I had a very good doctor, who actually was the one who pioneered this surgery (Dr. West in Seattle).It never did hurt. I was very, very stupid after the surgery and stayed by myself while I had my jaw " wired shut " for a week (it wasn't wired, it had rubber bands on it to keep me from chewing). I could have choked or something, but didn't. At the time I was young and stupid, and lived off beer and ice cream and baked beans for that week. My feet used to feel sometimes like I was walking on knives. Like the Little Mermaid I think! I don't know what it was, but my daughter started to get the same thing until we went GF. It has never come back. I expect it was some sort of inflammation, but the docs could never find anything wrong.

There are a TON of good GF recipes on the web. It takes a little practice, but when you are starting out you can buy good mixes. Pamela's brownies are good, and they sell the mix at most grocery stores in this area. Sorghum flour works almost one-to-one instead of wheat flour, with a little xanthan gum, but you sort of have to be patient with yourself. These days we don't think about it much, but it took me 3 months to find a bread recipe that worked.

Since this isn't iodine related though, I'm not going to go on about it here. If you want/need cooking advice, there is another group, GFCFNN, that talks about all that (and there are others too, but GFCFNN is more " holistic " than some). There are some good recipes posted there too.

-- On 4/20/07, sandra zenishek <vamoonraker@...> wrote:

thanks heather, that is very interesting. did u have much problem with your bite after the operation or did the braces take care of that and for how long after did the surgery hurt? and can you describe more about your 'sore feet'

also I have tried making cakes etc with alternative flours and they were just awful. do you have any good recipes or send a website maybe? thanks, sandra

• 10 months later...
Guest guest

hi there, here are some ideas...you could work on ANS,

parasympathicus, mucous membranes, nutrition(to avoid any kind of white

sugar, soft driks, acohol etc.), 5th chakra(upper chakra

release),stimulate spleen(clear dampness!), short sarcodes, clik

throat, on the search go to " breathing " and work on the appropriate

remedy...5 min filter zap ....

regards Dr Igor

• 6 months later...

Mike,

Obstructive apnea is the more common type. The other has to do with the

brain's breathing reflex.

Chuck

You wrote:

>

>

> My PCP is skinny as a rail and she has sleep apnea and

> apparently PAP therapy has improved her quality of life....