RemedySpot.com

Re: what causes autoimmune diseases

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sophie,

I have never heard of the correlation between childbirth/miscarriage and auot-immune disease. I developed AIH when I was 15 and had never been pregnant. I had two successful pregnancies at age 25 with no problems related to the AIH. But something that caught my attention was what you mentioned about mismatched organisms. My blood type is 0 neg. which means I am RH negative. During the pregnancy I had to get a shot to m ake sure that my body wouldn't reject the baby I was carrying. Something about if the baby takes the father's blood type (which usually happens) and his blood type is positive, then the mother's immune system could try to kill the baby. Anyways...I was wondering how many of us with auto-immune disease are RH negative. I am sure if there was any connection between autoimmmune disease and blood type some doctor out there would have already realized it, but just out of curiosity. Take care!

Holly

>From: "sophieallsun"

>Reply- > >Subject: [ ] what causes autoimmune diseases >Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:58:44 -0000 > >Hello all, >some time ago a friend from Melbourne, Australia told me about a >medical/scientific panel discussion on autoimmune diseases she had >listened to on a local radio station. One point was on the fact that >the majority of autoimmune disease sufferers are women (that is: >autoimmune diseases in general, not only AIH) and one of the >participants of this panel made a connection between >childbirth/miscarriage and autoimmune disease, indicating some sort >of mismatched contact between two different organisms. I did not >hear this personally and my friend just relayed what she heard. Has >anybody ever heard of this? >Take care. > Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here

I was pregnant in 1987 and at 2 months miscarried. I had my last daughter in

1985. No problems. It was after this miscariage that I developed the itching

and other symptoms which I didn't know at the time was AIH. so I do

believe there was a trigger here.Hope this helps!

CherBPink@...

Hi, i havn`t had children or a miscarriage, but i have had gynaecological problems. I have wondered about a link, as my symptoms came on after an operation. I have read that some doctors think it could be linked to hormones.

Take care

>Reply- > >Subject: [ ] what causes autoimmune diseases >Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:58:44 -0000 > >Hello all, >some time ago a friend from Melbourne, Australia told me about a >medical/scientific panel discussion on autoimmune diseases she had >listened to on a local radio station. One point was on the fact that >the majority of autoimmune disease sufferers are women (that is: >autoimmune diseases in general, not only AIH) and one of the >participants of this panel made a connection between >childbirth/miscarriage and autoimmune disease, indicating some sort >of mismatched contact between two different organisms. I did not >hear this personally and my friend just relayed what she heard. Has >anybody ever heard of this? >Take care. > Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: Click Here

Hmmmm.....Now that I think of it, my symptoms started about a year after a tonsillectomy.

>From: "jackie paterson"

>Reply- > >Subject: Re: [ ] what causes autoimmune diseases >Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:29:43 +0100 > Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here

Hi, i havn`t had children or a miscarriage, but i have had gynaecological problems. I have wondered about a link, as my symptoms came on after an operation. I have read that some doctors think it could be linked to hormones.

Take care

>Reply- > >Subject: [ ] what causes autoimmune diseases >Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:58:44 -0000 > >Hello all, >some time ago a friend from Melbourne, Australia told me about a >medical/scientific panel discussion on autoimmune diseases she had >listened to on a local radio station. One point was on the fact that >the majority of autoimmune disease sufferers are women (that is: >autoimmune diseases in general, not only AIH) and one of the >participants of this panel made a connection between >childbirth/miscarriage and autoimmune disease, indicating some sort >of mismatched contact between two different organisms. I did not >hear this personally and my friend just relayed what she heard. Has >anybody ever heard of this? >Take care. > Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: Click Here

In a message dated 9/3/2002 10:20:00 PM Central Daylight Time, tdcc2000@... writes:

......I think there is asbestos in the flooring. The tile is VERY VERY old, about the time when they used asbestos in everything!

Gosh Deb, do we teach at the same school!!!??? I created a stink about the room in question - and they replaced the registers. However, the room I am in now fits your description to a T. Sagging roof tiles and asbestos. WHen I asked the head custodian about the asbestos tile - his response was "dont worry about it - it isnt enough to kill you." In the afternoon the mildew smell is very intense - the kids even complain.

I can't remember who asked about blood type, but mine is B-

I am really tired tonight. On the way home from work, I realized

that I had been at work for 12 hours. I try to sleep for 8 hours, so

that leaves me with 4 hours of " free time. " Tonight, I have a pile of

essays to read for one of my classes. I honestly don't think I will

be able to keep up with this schedule.

Reading the messages posted here sure makes my day. I'm

sorry that I don't post more often.

Luanne, you and Tyler are in my thoughts every day. Glad that

you had a moment to update us.

Tony, I hope that you had a great day. You, too, are in my daily

prayers.

Must close and try to read and grade that pile of essays.

I've heard something similar. When I was diagnosed with AIH 3 months

ago, the doctors did seem very interested in the fact that I had

experienced three miscarriages in a row (in between the birth of my

two children). So from 1996 to 1999, I was pregnant five times total.

They didn't go into any detail, but they simply said that my

childbirth history was possibly related to my AIH. Don't know how or

why, but it's an interesting link...

Annette

> Hello all,

> some time ago a friend from Melbourne, Australia told me about a

> medical/scientific panel discussion on autoimmune diseases she had

> listened to on a local radio station. One point was on the fact

that

> the majority of autoimmune disease sufferers are women (that is:

> autoimmune diseases in general, not only AIH) and one of the

> participants of this panel made a connection between

> childbirth/miscarriage and autoimmune disease, indicating some sort

> of mismatched contact between two different organisms. I did not

> hear this personally and my friend just relayed what she heard. Has

> anybody ever heard of this?

> Take care.

hi... i gave up worrying how i got aih.. my questions are more along the lines of whats next?.....my children are 22 and 16, no rh blood im actually apos,no family history of aih or any liver problems,i woke up on valentines day turning yellow throuout my work day and since then i have now decided that i need to also put a few drs ,phlebotomists,and lab personell on my dependents list .(heheheeh)already think the pharmacist is accounted for (heheheh)....Since diagnosis, i have depression, high blood pressure, low thyroid, swelling and painful joints,and now conjunctivitis(pinkEye).....I worked as an optician/manager for 13 years and never caught the dreaded pink eye .We always had a few cases especilly the month after school started.. Here i am limited to the outside except for dr visits.I assume i caught it in an office (hehehe)oh well ,i could only catch it in the best of places .......i also am diagnosed with cerebral radialitis and facet dysfunction... I cannot turn my head left to right very well and i have severe pains which run down my entire arm ...so my new question will be ...Not where i got AIH but Whats next ......take care everyone ...thanx for being here karen/s.carolina

I also remember the article. Something about a "leaky placenta" and the mix of fetal and maternal cells. It caught my interest as I had a ruptured placenta at 36 and a half weeks which was the intensity of somone who had been in a car accident. The abruption happened in the middle of the night while sleeping. The baby died within 10 minutes and I almost bleed to death. I had 22 units of blood, my liver and kidney shut down and I was given last rites.

I pulled through at the last and final hour, expelling the still born and my vitals returned. Now when I have blood transfusion I have some many different antiobodies with the 22 different units of blood that it takes hours to find compatabiity.

That event has always been of curiosity to me.

Jen

Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 04:15:38 -0000

Subject: [ ] Re: what causes autoimmune diseases

>

>

>

>

> I've heard something similar. When I was diagnosed with AIH 3 months

> ago, the doctors did seem very interested in the fact that I had

> experienced three miscarriages in a row (in between the birth of my

> two children). So from 1996 to 1999, I was pregnant five times total.

>

> They didn't go into any detail, but they simply said that my

> childbirth history was possibly related to my AIH. Don't know how or

> why, but it's an interesting link...

>

> Annette

>

>

> > Hello all,

> > some time ago a friend from Melbourne, Australia told me about a

>

> > medical/scientific panel discussion on autoimmune diseases she had

>

> > listened to on a local radio station. One point was on the fact

> that

> > the majority of autoimmune disease sufferers are women (that is:

>

> > autoimmune diseases in general, not only AIH) and one of the

> > participants of this panel made a connection between

> > childbirth/miscarriage and autoimmune disease, indicating some sort

>

> > of  mismatched contact between two different organisms. I did

> not

> > hear this personally and my friend just relayed what she heard. Has

>

> > anybody ever heard of this?

> > Take care.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Debby - Tomorrow I am looking for you in the halls!!! My room is so hot. I

have threatened to wear speedos to class. BTW where are you again? Dont be

a martyr where your health is concerned. I have told everyone who would

listen to me about our deadly room. Administrators and school boards need to

know we accept low wages to do lengthy work and have to work under unsafe

conditions.

Hugs

I would like to add her that I am a product of a Mother with A-. Dad was positive, and so I am A+. However, since I was the second child to be born and Mom had several miscarriages before and after me, that I wanted to share what happened with me. At least this is my theory.

You see, when I was conceived, mon's doctor told her not to get her hopes up that she would carry full term. However, I entered into the world with a bang! BUT, what DID follow, were two afterbirths. The second baby had not fully developed. It is my theory that the other twin absorbed the antibodies and allowed Mom's body to not "recognize" that I was there.

I would be very happy to hear if anyone else thinks this might be a possibility. However, from birth, I was ill. Now, it appears that I had celiac Sprue as an infant. But that is beside the point. Just curious to know if my theroy has any scientific basis to it.

Debby

[ ] Re: what causes autoimmune diseases

Hi Holly,Just wanted to let you know that I'm -A. I also had the Rh factor when I was pregnant.Debbie/FL>

WOW! You are blessed to be alive! 22 units. That is terrible, but so happy that things with your own health stabilized. Truly sorry for losing your baby. That is a very difficult thing to go through! Hugs....debby

[ ] Re: what causes autoimmune diseases> > > > > I've heard something similar. When I was diagnosed with AIH 3 months > ago, the doctors did seem very interested in the fact that I had > experienced three miscarriages in a row (in between the birth of my > two children). So from 1996 to 1999, I was pregnant five times total.> > They didn't go into any detail, but they simply said that my > childbirth history was possibly related to my AIH. Don't know how or > why, but it's an interesting link...> > Annette> > > > Hello all,> > some time ago a friend from Melbourne, Australia told me about a> > > medical/scientific panel discussion on autoimmune diseases she had> > > listened to on a local radio station. One point was on the fact > that > > the majority of autoimmune disease sufferers are women (that is:> > > autoimmune diseases in general, not only AIH) and one of the > > participants of this panel made a connection between > > childbirth/miscarriage and autoimmune disease, indicating some sort> > > of mismatched contact between two different organisms. I did> not > > hear this personally and my friend just relayed what she heard. Has> > > anybody ever heard of this? > > Take care.> > > > > > > > > > >

, I think we MUST teach at the same school! Geez.....this is insane!

My biggest problem outside of the tile thing, is the intense heat. Our temp has been in high 90's to 105 in the afternoon. My room has been 82. Now I realize that is not extremely hot, BUT when there is NO circulation save my fan, it is unbearable. We have no windows. (Well, we DO have a small window that overlooks a giant sea train!)

Anyway, the heat is unbearable. Now, we are facing the muggy humidity as well. I asked the maintanance man yesterday, and he said, "The fan just totally disintegrated and fell through the roof. They don't make these fans anymore, so we have to weld them together." Well, doesn't THAT make you feel special! This is pretty sad when the parts are not made any more.....and we talk of conservation here in Calif? Heck, if the district would put new AC in, they would save a bundle in cooling and heating costs! But then, we are only the "little school" just 550 K-2 kids! Hmmmmmm....maybe when one of the parents gets upset enough, they will complain!

Meanwhile, I am totally terrified to say anything more about the heat. Maybe when I pass out and the school district has to pay for Work Comp, they will do something!

Debby

Re: [ ] what causes autoimmune diseases

In a message dated 9/3/2002 10:20:00 PM Central Daylight Time, tdcc2000@... writes:

......I think there is asbestos in the flooring. The tile is VERY VERY old, about the time when they used asbestos in everything!Gosh Deb, do we teach at the same school!!!??? I created a stink about the room in question - and they replaced the registers. However, the room I am in now fits your description to a T. Sagging roof tiles and asbestos. WHen I asked the head custodian about the asbestos tile - his response was "dont worry about it - it isnt enough to kill you." In the afternoon the mildew smell is very intense - the kids even complain.

, I am in California...where it is hot hot hot. Oh....and in the winter, it is cold cold cold! I don't mind the cold....in fact, I have been known to leave the door open to bring in fresh air. Kids don't really KNOW what fresh air is!

Ok.....I will check out the halls tomorrow for you too! Have a great day.....is it FRIDAY YET??????

Debby

Debby - Tomorrow I am looking for you in the halls!!! My room is so hot. I have threatened to wear speedos to class. BTW where are you again? Dont be a martyr where your health is concerned. I have told everyone who would listen to me about our deadly room. Administrators and school boards need to know we accept low wages to do lengthy work and have to work under unsafe conditions.Hugs

Debby & ,

Here in Virginia if the school doesn't have air and they are calling for

extreme temps they sometimes close schools. Most of the schools do have air

but some of the old ones don't and those kids go home early if school is not

cancled all together. Move to Virginia. We need some more good teachers

here. I'll rent you a room.

I had an episode today - I got dizzy and hot and by6th period I thought I was

going to pass out. Of course when anything happens I think AIH AIH AIH. But

I went to the emergency room and liver counts were great and they said it was

heat exposure. I may take you up on that V irginia invite

, I forgot to say that mom's pregnancies were before the Rhogram (spelling?) shots. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Debby

Re: [ ] Re: what causes autoimmune diseases

Debby,Can't help much there. I'm A+ and my mother had 4 daughters all healthy and no problems. I had a daughter and a son all healthy. No miscarriages in my family.

, I think I might take you up on your room rental! (just kidding!) Anyway, our area, we have only closed school down EVER for one day....and that was because it snowed that day. There was about 2 inches on the ground and no one knew what to do! So all of the schools in the area in the area shut down for the whole day! Wow...we thought we had died and had gone to heaven!!!!! Incredible....

Do we cancel for hot weather? Heck no! That would be absolutely unthinkable! Go figure....it makes no sense to us.

Debby

Debby & ,Here in Virginia if the school doesn't have air and they are calling for extreme temps they sometimes close schools. Most of the schools do have air but some of the old ones don't and those kids go home early if school is not cancled all together. Move to Virginia. We need some more good teachers here. I'll rent you a room.

Gosh , you are really brave to go to ER. I get like that so often, but just pass it off hoping it will go away. Eventually it passes, but like you, I worry. The problem with our ER, is that I would have to travel too far to get to a good ER.

Today, I had such a terrible stomach episode. The burning, and cramping were really bad. I took a pill, one that disolves under the tongue and it helped ease the pain until I could continue.

One day, we will be able to get through just one year without being too sick! Here's to that day!

Debby

I had an episode today - I got dizzy and hot and by6th period I thought I was going to pass out. Of course when anything happens I think AIH AIH AIH. But I went to the emergency room and liver counts were great and they said it was heat exposure. I may take you up on that V irginia invite

I went down to school to leave my lesson plans for tomorrow - I go to the

doctor and taking the afternoon to rest. They brought a free standing AC

unit in my room. WHo knows? Maybe they worry I will be gone for another 6

mo again. They put in an AC unit in for one teacher but she had to have a

seizure and bleed from the mouth. She has autoimmune too.