company that specializes in making cheaper versions of a drug after it comes

off patent. Per FDA regulations (in US) the generic has to deliver the same

amount of the active ingredient, within +/- 10% usually, sometimes 20%, as

the name-brand drug. If it doesn't it has to go through the whole approval

process from scratch - if it does they can use the studies (and generally

the labeling) from the name brand, which saves the company about $500M and

ten years for the approval process.

Jerry

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at

http://profiles.msn.com.

• 3 years later...

Hi, Pam.

I was on Synthroid for a month. I too had to get my refill through

my presciption plan's mail order or pay full price at the pharmacy.

They decided to give me a generic brand. I started it 2 days ago & I

don't feel the same as I did on the Synthroid. I'm really thinking

about switching back to the Synthoid, even though my dr. said it was

okay to take the generic.

Right now, I have high cholesterol, elevated insulin levels &

ovarian cysts that I believe will all be rectified eventually from

being on the synthroid & I'm hoping the generic brand doesn't mess

with that.

> hi ladies!

> has anyone here tried the generics yet? I'm on levoxyl. We use a

mail order

> prescription plan through our insurance where you can get 6 months

at a really

> decent price. Well, They changed companies who provide the meds,

and they

> messed up mine, giving me half as many pills as they were supposed

to, then

> refused to correct it since it'd been over 30 days since I got

them . I was silly

> and didnt count them when I got them. But then, they took solong

to fill it in

> the first place, I had to get my dr to call one inlocally anyway.

By the time I

> even started taking them, it was over 30 days! so even if I had

counted them,

> it would have been too late! anyway...our local insurance person

through dh's

> work, fixed it so my dr coul dcall in a 90 day supply and I didnt

have to pay

> the co-pay. I picked it up last night, first thing I noticed is it

was blue

> instead of purple..got to looking, and it says generic for levoxyl

on

> it....would have been nice if they'd told me that ahead of time!

> anyway...so has anyone tried it? I still have a couple of weeks of

my regular

> levoxyl, wonder if I should trade off which one I take...or do you

all

> suppose it wont matter?

>

> dont know why I'm even the least bit concerned....I've taken

generics before,

> I know there shouldnt be any problems.....

>

> pam

• 7 months later...
Guest guest

In a message dated 4/26/05 11:19:42 AM Central Daylight Time, maxwells_mommie@... writes:

I used to be a pharma rep.....I would never take a generic if I had a choice, especially with a maintenance med.

really? can I ask why? arent they held to the same standards as name brand?

pam

Guest guest

I used to be a pharma rep.....I would never take a generic if I had a choice, especially with a maintenance med.

generics

is anyone here on generic thyroid med? the pharmacy switched me a few months back, and I didnt notice it until I got home and they were closed, so I didnt have a choice in taking it. then I figured I'd give it a go, see how it went..well, it's been about 3 months or so, and I think I have several symptoms I had when I was first diagnosed! I went to my dr, and levels come out within normal range (TSH 2.33, Free T4 1.2) both pretty much in the middle. Dr thinks it's the generic, and mentioned how with some people, although the numbers might show normal, they just dont feel well when on generics. I've been feeling very jittery, heart rate feels fast (but is normal) I should mention, I also have sinus tachycardia and take a beta blocker every day as well. She did up my dose of that to see if it helps. My eyes are also doing some funky things every now and then, and my face is breaking out left and right!!. I told her it was worse than when I went through puberty! lol

I'm going to refill my meds with name brand and get away from the generics, see if that helps...but I'm just curious to see if anyone else has been taking generics, or has had problems with them....

pam

Guest guest

They are supposed to be, but in all honesty, I'm skeptical.

I saw myself the differences many times, when generics were filled, instead of branded meds. I was on a bp med for a while, and the generic did NOTHING. As soon as the branded med was returned, pressure was down to normal in a matter of days. To me, that speaks volumes.

Re: generics

In a message dated 4/26/05 11:19:42 AM Central Daylight Time, maxwells_mommie@... writes:

really? can I ask why? arent they held to the same standards as name brand?

pam

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

This is right it should be the same but in reality there are often differences. As said the excipients can be different, the drug itself could be poorly manufactured or the presention could be different. For example there's a legend in pharmaceutical circles that one time a drug was produced genericly, but to save space/money the pills were manufactured to be as small as possible, they were so compressed that they passed straight through patients without breaking up and releaseing the drug! Branded drugs are a better bet, but they often ( though not always) cost more than the generics, so when cost is an issue, you're far more likely to get a generic where available (after the original patent has expired).

Chris.

-----Original Message-----From: samters [mailto:samters ]On Behalf Of jeyminSent: 31 May 2006 02:15samters Subject: Re: Generic FlonaiseWeird, my normal email appears to not be working... if this shows up again on the list, I'm sorry!The chemical that is the main medicine in the generic and in the name brand should be the same. However, the other non-drug stuff may or may not be the same. That could be what is causing your problems. Or maybe the drug is made differently. One time I was given the generic version of the birth control pill I was on and I had some weird side effects. Turns out the source of one of the hormones was different in the generic and for whatever reason, despite being the same hormone, it caused side effects where the name brand didn't. Is there anyway your doctor can write the prescription so the name-brand is cheaper? Or does your plan have a way to buy maintenance drugs for cheaper? Some plans allow you to order the drug online and get 3 months worth for 1 copay. I'm gonna stick with the name brand… K.>> Ever since I started taking the generic flonaise my nose has steadily > gotten worse. The polyps are getting bigger. Is it possible that the > generic is not chemically the same as the name brand. It makes me mad > cause the generic is only 10 bucks where as the name brand is 30 bucks. > Anybody else have the same experience with it?>

• 9 months later...
Guest guest

I am one of those folks that gets considerably more pain relief from Celebrex than ibuprofen. I take two a day and I can at least get around. With the ibuprofen I was miserable. Pat Without getting into generics, the issue of Vioxx as well as Celebrex is completely different.

Guest guest

Celebrex works for me too. But my doctor cut the dose in half for all his patients. We'll see what the new doc says in April. I've waited more than a few months to see her. Vioxx was better than anything. Oh, how I miss it! PAT ANDREWS <teganambrosia@...> wrote: I am one of those folks that gets considerably more pain relief from Celebrex than ibuprofen. I take two a day and I can at least get around. With the ibuprofen I was miserable. Pat Without getting into generics, the issue of Vioxx as well as Celebrex is completely different.

Looking for earth-friendly autos? Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Autos' Green Center.

Guest guest

I liked the Vioxx, too. I was only on it a couple of weeks though . . . when my doctor was out of the office for a convention they gave me samples of what they had . . . VIOXX, and I LOVED it. Sigh. Pat Celebrex works for me too. But my doctor cut the dose in half for all his patients. We'll see what the new doc says in April. I've waited more than a few months to see her. Vioxx was better than anything. Oh, how I miss it!

Guest guest

I had it about a year before it was pulled from the market. It was my best year in the last six or seven. I've never seen my fellow swimmers at the therapeutic pool so sad or angry about an issue as they were about that one. I think Vioxx worked for a lot of people. So let's keep hoping and praying for something new without side effects. PAT ANDREWS <teganambrosia@...> wrote: I liked the Vioxx, too. I was only on it a couple of weeks though . . . when my doctor

was out of the office for a convention they gave me samples of what they had . . . VIOXX, and I LOVED it. Sigh. Pat Celebrex works for me too. But my doctor cut the dose in half for all his patients. We'll see what the new doc says in April. I've waited more than a few months to see her. Vioxx was better than anything. Oh, how I miss it!

Never miss an email again! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.

Guest guest

Another proof that we all react differently. Vioxx and Celebrex did

absolutely NOTHING for me. Nor did Mobic and for just sheer pain

Darvocet. Then naproxen and Tramadol helped, and now I am back on

naproxen and generic Vicodin. Counting the weeks ....

> I liked the Vioxx, too. I was only on it a couple of

weeks though . . . when my doctor was out of the office for a

convention they gave me samples of what they had . . . VIOXX, and I

LOVED it.

>

> Sigh.

>

> Pat

>

>

> Celebrex works for me too. But my doctor cut the dose in half

for all his patients. We'll see what the new doc says in April. I've

waited more than a few months to see her.

>

> Vioxx was better than anything. Oh, how I miss it!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss an email again!

> Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.

>

Guest guest

Naproxen and Orudis did great for me (OTCs) but I took too many (this was before surgery) and ended up with serve chest pain that turned out to be ulcers and esophagus erosion so I can only take Tylenol and narcotics. I had Ultracet (Tylenol and Tramadol) which helped a little but I felt too goofy so I rarely took it. I tend to just max out on Tylenol so of course I'm worried about my liver but so far it's fine.

I also get severe migraines so I have taken too much pain relief over the years.

-----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of annainvaSent: Monday, March 19, 2007 3:42 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Generics

Another proof that we all react differently. Vioxx and Celebrex didabsolutely NOTHING for me. Nor did Mobic and for just sheer painDarvocet. Then naproxen and Tramadol helped, and now I am back onnaproxen and generic Vicodin. Counting the weeks ....> I liked the Vioxx, too. I was only on it a couple ofweeks though . . . when my doctor was out of the office for aconvention they gave me samples of what they had . . . VIOXX, and ILOVED it.> > Sigh. > > Pat> > > Celebrex works for me too. But my doctor cut the dose in halffor all his patients. We'll see what the new doc says in April. I'vewaited more than a few months to see her. > > Vioxx was better than anything. Oh, how I miss it! > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss an email again!> Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.>

Guest guest

Tramadol doesn't affect me in the least. Yet Tylenol PM will put me over the edge with anxiety. I almost Just goes to show what we've been saying all along...everyone is different. DeRouen <asd@...> wrote: Naproxen and Orudis did great for me (OTCs) but I took too many (this was before surgery) and ended up with serve chest pain that turned out to be ulcers and esophagus erosion so I can only take Tylenol and narcotics. I had Ultracet (Tylenol

and Tramadol) which helped a little but I felt too goofy so I rarely took it. I tend to just max out on Tylenol so of course I'm worried about my liver but so far it's fine. I also get severe migraines so I have taken too much pain relief over the years. -----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of

annainvaSent: Monday, March 19, 2007 3:42 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Generics Another proof that we all react differently. Vioxx and Celebrex didabsolutely NOTHING for me. Nor did Mobic and for just sheer painDarvocet. Then naproxen and Tramadol helped, and now I am back onnaproxen and generic Vicodin. Counting the weeks ....> I liked the Vioxx, too. I was only on it a couple ofweeks though . . . when my doctor was out of the office for aconvention they gave me samples of what they had . . . VIOXX, and ILOVED it.> > Sigh. > > Pat> > > Celebrex works for me too. But my doctor cut the dose in halffor all his patients. We'll see what the new doc says in April. I'vewaited more than a few months to see her. > > Vioxx was better than anything. Oh, how I miss it! > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss an email again!> Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.>

Looking for earth-friendly autos? Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Autos' Green Center.

Guest guest

Tramadol doesn't affect me in the least. Yet Tylenol PM will put me over the edge with anxiety. I Just goes to show what we've been saying all along...everyone is different. DeRouen <asd@...> wrote: Naproxen and Orudis did great for me (OTCs) but I took too many (this was before surgery) and ended up with serve chest pain that turned out to be ulcers and esophagus erosion so I can only take Tylenol and narcotics. I had Ultracet (Tylenol and

Tramadol) which helped a little but I felt too goofy so I rarely took it. I tend to just max out on Tylenol so of course I'm worried about my liver but so far it's fine. I also get severe migraines so I have taken too much pain relief over the years. -----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of

annainvaSent: Monday, March 19, 2007 3:42 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Generics Another proof that we all react differently. Vioxx and Celebrex didabsolutely NOTHING for me. Nor did Mobic and for just sheer painDarvocet. Then naproxen and Tramadol helped, and now I am back onnaproxen and generic Vicodin. Counting the weeks ....> I liked the Vioxx, too. I was only on it a couple ofweeks though . . . when my doctor was out of the office for aconvention they gave me samples of what they had . . . VIOXX, and ILOVED it.> > Sigh. > > Pat> > > Celebrex works for me too. But my doctor cut the dose in halffor all his patients. We'll see what the new doc says in April. I'vewaited more than a few months to see her. > > Vioxx was better than anything. Oh, how I miss it! > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss an email again!> Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.>

TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV.

Guest guest

Naproxen has been shown to be nothing more than Aleve in a prescription form. And as far as the Tramadol goes, that's nothing but a very, very, very, low grade pain reliever, not even for moderate pains. But here we go again, we all react different to different meds. And generic Vicodin to me was like taking nothing more than a sugar pill. I am not a large person. These pins in my femur/hips stopped the growth of my large bones when I was 12. So you would think, using some of the logic the docs use, looking at me, and my small stature and body weight, a lower than normal dose would work for me. Could not be further from the truth. My body has a very high tolerance level and it would probally take as much pain meds as they would use on a 300lb person to make even a small effect on my pain levels. And people, I weighed myself yesterday at the doctorr's office, I am 118lbs!

Dale

Re: Generics

Another proof that we all react differently. Vioxx and Celebrex didabsolutely NOTHING for me. Nor did Mobic and for just sheer painDarvocet. Then naproxen and Tramadol helped, and now I am back onnaproxen and generic Vicodin. Counting the weeks ....> I liked the Vioxx, too. I was only on it a couple ofweeks though . . . when my doctor was out of the office for aconvention they gave me samples of what they had . . . VIOXX, and ILOVED it.> > Sigh. > > Pat> > > Celebrex works for me too. But my doctor cut the dose in halffor all his patients. We'll see what the new doc says in April. I'vewaited more than a few months to see her. > > Vioxx was better than anything. Oh, how I miss it! > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss an email again!> Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.>

Guest guest

Well, Tylenol PM is just Tylenol with diphenhyramine which is the ingredient in Benadryl. It turns out that antihistamines (which make people sleepy) are used as sleeping pills. But if it's making you anxious then you are just one of the people it affects that way. Sudafed is supposed to make you hyper, but always leaves me groggy.

-----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of Donna HartSent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 3:17 PMJoint Replacement Subject: RE: Re: Generics

Tramadol doesn't affect me in the least. Yet Tylenol PM will put me over the edge with anxiety. I almost Just goes to show what we've been saying all along...everyone is different. DeRouen <asdsparkynet> wrote:

Naproxen and Orudis did great for me (OTCs) but I took too many (this was before surgery) and ended up with serve chest pain that turned out to be ulcers and esophagus erosion so I can only take Tylenol and narcotics. I had Ultracet (Tylenol and Tramadol) which helped a little but I felt too goofy so I rarely took it. I tend to just max out on Tylenol so of course I'm worried about my liver but so far it's fine.

I also get severe migraines so I have taken too much pain relief over the years.

-----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of annainvaSent: Monday, March 19, 2007 3:42 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Re: Generics

Guest guest

100 years ago, when I used to prepare children for surgery, there was a drug

called phenobarb. This drug was used as a pre-med for toddlers before

surgery.

Most it made quiet and sleepy, however some it sent hypo. They were

" swinging off the rafters " before they were knocked out in theatre.

The human body is such an interesting thing.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

RE: Re: Generics

| Well, Tylenol PM is just Tylenol with diphenhyramine which is the

ingredient

| in Benadryl. It turns out that antihistamines (which make people sleepy)

are

| used as sleeping pills. But if it's making you anxious then you are just

one

| of the people it affects that way. Sudafed is supposed to make you hyper,

| but always leaves me groggy.

|

|

Guest guest

Margeret, you are really old. Wow!!! *snicker*

Re: Re: Generics

100 years ago, when I used to prepare children for surgery, there was a drug called phenobarb. This drug was used as a pre-med for toddlers before surgery.

Most it made quiet and sleepy, however some it sent hypo. They were "swinging off the rafters" before they were knocked out in theatre.

The human body is such an interesting thing.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

RE: Re: Generics

| Well, Tylenol PM is just Tylenol with diphenhyramine which is the ingredient

| in Benadryl. It turns out that antihistamines (which make people sleepy) are

| used as sleeping pills. But if it's making you anxious then you are just one

| of the people it affects that way. Sudafed is supposed to make you hyper,

| but always leaves me groggy.

|

|

Guest guest

One

thing to watch with over the counter pain meds is the amount of caffeine they

contain. Some are loaded with it but you need to read the label to be sure

• 1 year later...

Betty,

You wrote:

>

> Hi Amy, forgot one other thing. I have had four thryoid Docs and they all

> say the same, never take generic meds for your thyroid.

That was once sensible advice for all true generics, although it was

certainly pushed by the brand name pharmaceutical companies, such as

Abbott. However, there has been a big push to standardize dosages, and

large studies confirm that the various levothyroxine formulations are

precisely equivalent in thyroid activity. The only difference now is in

the inactive incipients and colorings. Some people actually do better on

the generics for certain dosages.

Incidentally, the term generic is technically a misnomer. Synthroid was

never patented, so the alternatives are really just different brand

names for equivalent products.

Chuck