RemedySpot.com

Re: Ferritin level

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Kamal Well Im not sure other than phlebotomies which is where they draw off blood and just discard it , but with your RBC and hemoglobin low, and your platelets are low too, they probably wont do that.. My ferritin level shot to 717 during tx but it did return to normal after I finished tx,, did you ask Dr. Cecil about this? He might have an answer for ya.. Remember I finished tx 4 years ago,, Im sure that some things have changed.. jaxKamal Shah <kamalshah20@...> wrote: Hi

all,Iam Genotype 3. I've completed 19 weeks of treatment (Pegintron) and not yet clear.My Ferritin level is 1860. Hemoglobin is 8, WBC is 1200 and platelets are 80,000.I'm taking 14,000 units per week of Epoetein alpha (Procrit) and a shot of neupogen every week. Is there a way to decrease the ferritin level and yet not reduce the Hemoglobin further?-- ThanksKamal'Never ask a man what computer he uses.If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy Jackie

The only way to reduce your iron levels is phlebotomy , but that would drop your hemaglobin . Are you seeing a Hematologist ?

Ferritin level

Hi all,Iam Genotype 3. I've completed 19 weeks of treatment (Pegintron) and not yet clear.My Ferritin level is 1860. Hemoglobin is 8, WBC is 1200 and platelets are 80,000.I'm taking 14,000 units per week of Epoetein alpha (Procrit) and a shot of neupogen every week. Is there a way to decrease the ferritin level and yet not reduce the Hemoglobin further?-- ThanksKamal'Never ask a man what computer he uses.If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy

Dear Kamal,

Try going to www.webmd.com and look up ferritin. The reason I suggest this is because their are multiple reasons for a person to have a high ferritin level and this would need to be pinpointed down.

All the best!!

Chris>> The only way to reduce your iron levels is phlebotomy , but that would drop your hemaglobin . Are you seeing a Hematologist ?> Ferritin level> > > Hi all,> > Iam Genotype 3. I've completed 19 weeks of treatment (Pegintron) and not yet clear.> > My Ferritin level is 1860. Hemoglobin is 8, WBC is 1200 and platelets are 80,000.> > I'm taking 14,000 units per week of Epoetein alpha (Procrit) and a shot of neupogen every week. > > Is there a way to decrease the ferritin level and yet not reduce the Hemoglobin further?> > -- > > Thanks> Kamal> > 'Never ask a man what computer he uses.> If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy>

I have not mentioned the ferritin to Dr. Cecil. I guess I will write to him about it.ThanksKamalOn 2/16/07, Jackie on <

redjaxjm@...> wrote:

Hi Kamal Well Im not sure other than phlebotomies which is where they draw off blood and just discard it , but with your RBC and hemoglobin low, and your platelets are low too, they probably wont do that.. My ferritin level shot to 717 during tx but it did return to normal after I finished tx,, did you ask Dr. Cecil about this? He might have an answer for ya.. Remember I finished tx 4 years ago,, Im sure that some things have changed..

jaxKamal Shah <kamalshah20gmail>

wrote: Hi

all,Iam Genotype 3. I've completed 19 weeks of treatment (Pegintron) and not yet clear.My Ferritin level is 1860. Hemoglobin is 8, WBC is 1200 and platelets are 80,000.I'm taking 14,000 units per week of Epoetein alpha (Procrit) and a shot of neupogen every week. Is there a way to decrease the ferritin level and yet not reduce the Hemoglobin further?-- ThanksKamal'Never ask a man what computer he uses.If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy Jackie

-- ThanksKamal'Never ask a man what computer he uses.If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy

I have not yet seen a hemotologist. I guess I will need to see one soon.ThanksKamalOn 2/16/07, elizabethnv1 <

elizabethnv1@...> wrote:

The only way to reduce your iron levels is phlebotomy , but that would drop your hemaglobin . Are you seeing a Hematologist ?

Ferritin level

Hi all,Iam Genotype 3. I've completed 19 weeks of treatment (Pegintron) and not yet clear.My Ferritin level is 1860. Hemoglobin is 8, WBC is 1200 and platelets are 80,000.I'm taking 14,000 units per week of Epoetein alpha (Procrit) and a shot of neupogen every week. Is there a way to decrease the ferritin level and yet not reduce the Hemoglobin further?-- ThanksKamal'Never ask a man what computer he uses.If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy

-- ThanksKamal'Never ask a man what computer he uses.If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy

I have not yet seen a hemotologist. I guess I will need to see one soon.ThanksKamalOn 2/16/07, elizabethnv1 <

elizabethnv1@...> wrote:

Ferritin level

I sure would,, he is the one who told me that I shouldnt worry about mine while on tx and that it would return to normal after I finished tx and he was right..Kamal Shah <kamalshah20@...> wrote: I have not mentioned the ferritin to Dr. Cecil. I guess I will write to him about it.ThanksKamal On 2/16/07, Jackie on < redjaxjm > wrote: Hi Kamal Well Im not sure other than phlebotomies which is where they draw off blood and just discard it , but with your RBC and hemoglobin low, and your platelets are low too, they probably wont do that.. My ferritin level shot to 717 during tx but it did return to normal after I finished tx,, did you ask Dr. Cecil about this? He might have an answer for ya.. Remember I finished tx 4 years ago,, Im sure that some things have changed.. jax Kamal Shah <kamalshah20gmail> wrote: Hi all,Iam Genotype 3. I've completed 19 weeks of treatment

(Pegintron) and not yet clear.My Ferritin level is 1860. Hemoglobin is 8, WBC is 1200 and platelets are 80,000.I'm taking 14,000 units per week of Epoetein alpha (Procrit) and a shot of neupogen every week. Is there a way to decrease the ferritin level and yet not reduce the Hemoglobin further?-- ThanksKamal'Never ask a man what computer he uses.If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy Jackie -- ThanksKamal'Never ask a man what computer he uses.If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?' - Tom Clancy Jackie

You should so that they can determine the cause and treatment . Better safe than sorry .

Ferritin level

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Sam,

I forgot to post my VB12 level, it is 245 (156-672), is it too low, too?

Thanks.

Fragrance

> >

> > My lab result of Ferritin 34.2 (6-159),

> >

> > Is that too low? What should I do now?

> >

>

HI Fragrance

Yes, your ferritin is far too low. Dr Friedman who is one of the medical advisers to our forum says that people who have a ferritin level of less than 60 should be treated with some form of elemental iron. Your doctor will probably prescribe for you Ferrous Sulphate 200 mgs, in the first instance to be taken twice a day. You should take high dose of Vitamin C (2000/3000mgs daily) with Ferrous Sulphate. You should also eat foods that are high in iron. You need to aim to get your ferritin level up to around 70 to 90.

Go to our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk and click on 'Hypothyroidism's and then click on 'Associated Conditions' and on the page that opens, click on Ferritin (or Haemochromotisis) - not sure of the title there. Haemochormotosis is too much ferritin, and it tells you about both of these in the article..

Luv - Sheila

My lab result of Ferritin 34.2 (6-159),Is that too low? What should I do now?

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1667 - Release Date: 11/09/2008 18:55

Hi, sheilaturner,

Thank you very much.

Following is my level of

VB12 245 (156-672) , is it too low too?

And the folic acid >24 (3.2-6.4), why is it so high?

>

> HI Fragrance

>

> Yes, your ferritin is far too low. Dr Friedman who is one of the

medical advisers to our forum says that people who have a ferritin level

of less than 60 should be treated with some form of elemental iron. Your

doctor will probably prescribe for you Ferrous Sulphate 200 mgs, in the

first instance to be taken twice a day. You should take high dose of

Vitamin C (2000/3000mgs daily) with Ferrous Sulphate. You should also

eat foods that are high in iron. You need to aim to get your ferritin

level up to around 70 to 90.

>

> Go to our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk and click on 'Hypothyroidism's and

then click on 'Associated Conditions' and on the page that opens, click

on Ferritin (or Haemochromotisis) - not sure of the title there.

Haemochormotosis is too much ferritin, and it tells you about both of

these in the article..

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

> My lab result of Ferritin 34.2 (6-159),

>

> Is that too low? What should I do now?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------\

------

>

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

> Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1667 - Release Date:

11/09/2008 18:55

>

EDITED TO REDUCE PREVIOUS MESSAGE

Hi, sheila, I am really confused about the type of iron supplement, some

OTC " drug " is as Ferrous Fumarate, not the Ferrous Sulphate, is there

any difference between them?

Fragrance

>

> HI Fragrance

>

Your

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

------

>

>

>

>

Hi Fragrance,

That vit B12 level may or may not be alright and your high folic acid

level looks as though there might be a problem somewhere in

the 'methylating cycle'.

Some people have a homocysteine problem that is affected by this enzyme.

Methylene TetraHydroFolate Reductase (MTHFR)

search on 'MTHFR' in OMIM ~ Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

20 or so associated conditions that could influence what's going on...

best wishes

Bob

>

> Hi, sheilaturner,

> Thank you very much.

> Following is my level of

> VB12 245 (156-672) , is it too low too?

> And the folic acid >24 (3.2-6.4), why is it so high?

Hi, Bob.

Your replies are so helpful. and you are so kind....

MTHFR is a type of gene, right? I also have the HIGH levels of

Triglyceride, which in my previous thinking is caused by Hypothyroidism

abnormal blood fat metalbolism. So I think I should check for the

homocysteine further to figure out if I have the abnormal level of HCY

in blood. Could it be possible that having a gene tested if requested?

Thank you so much!

Fragrance

> >

> > Hi, sheilaturner,

> > Thank you very much.

> > Following is my level of

> > VB12 245 (156-672) , is it too low too?

> > And the folic acid >24 (3.2-6.4), why is it so high?

>

Hi, Sheila

I wonder if it is good for me to take the iron supplement or not. As

long as the ferritin level is low, one should take iron as supplement?

Is it necessary to have the iron binding capacity and iron level tested

to find out the real reasons of low ferritin?

Fragrance

>

> They are very similar products and Ferrous Fumarate should work as

well.

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

> EDITED TO REDUCE PREVIOUS MESSAGE

>

> Hi, sheila, I am really confused about the type of iron supplement,

some

> OTC " drug " is as Ferrous Fumarate, not the Ferrous Sulphate, is there

> any difference between them?

>

> Fragrance

>

>

> Recent Activity

> a.. 17New Members

> b.. 5New Files

> Visit Your Group

> Health

> Achy Joint?

>

> Common arthritis

>

> myths debunked.

>

> Meditation and

> Lovingkindness

>

> A Group

>

> to share and learn.

>

> Sell Online

> Start selling with

>

> our award-winning

>

> e-commerce tools.

> .

>

>

>

>

------

>

>

>

>

That vit B12 level may or may not be alright ---Hi, bob. I don't get

what you mean....sorry..

Fragrance

> >

> > Hi, sheilaturner,

> > Thank you very much.

> > Following is my level of

> > VB12 245 (156-672) , is it too low too?

> > And the folic acid >24 (3.2-6.4), why is it so high?

>

Hi Fragrance,

A gene test may be more difficult to arrange.

Ask to see an optician or an ophthalmologist, to look at your eyes.

If you have pernicious anemia, a doctor should be able to check all

your results and rule out pernicious anemia.

It is very risky to leave this condition untreated and can result in

permanent nerve or sight damage.

MTHFR is a gene and faults with this gene can have unpleasant effects.

Disordered fat metabolism from hypothyroidism may interact with

faults in vitamin B12 absorbtion.

Homocysteine would be very useful to test, as you suggested yourself.

Does your gall bladder work correctly?

best wishes

Bob

> Hi, Bob.

> Your replies are so helpful. and you are so kind....

> MTHFR is a type of gene, right? I also have the HIGH levels of

Thanks, Bob

I have had the routine blood tested, it seemed that I don't have the anemia. These are slightly "abnormal" levels

MXD 2.9 £¨3.0 -8.0£©

W-LCR 50.5 (51.0-75.0)

MCV 93.1 (82.0-92.0)

MCH 31.4 (27.0-31.0)

MPV 8.2 (8.5-11.8)

For MTHFR, I am still not sure if I have that gene defect. I also found that my body is kind of "acid", because the level of CO2 is slightly low.

For the supplement of other vitamins, do you think it is necessary to have all types of vitamins checked before I take any type of them?

Following is my lab results. All are done in blood work.

iPTH 71.80 pg/ml (14-72)FT3 4.42 pmol/L (2.5-6.5)FT4 17.48 pmol/L (11.5-23.2)TSH 6.02 mIU/l (0.35-5.5)---needs to be ajusted further for doserT3 0.12 ng/ML (0.2-0.64)---low, which I think it is associated with the high PTH levelFerritin 34.2 (6-159),---relatively lowVB12 245 (156-672)folic acid (folate) >24 (3.2-6.4)--- too highCO2 21.20 (22-31)--- slightly low8AM, blood Cortisol 607.82 ( 118.6-618)4PM, Cortisol115.03 (85.3-459.6)00PM, Cortisol 104.27 (no reference values yet!)E2-estrogen 22.33 (11-165)progesterone 1.08 (0.15-1.4)testosterone 33.10 (14-76)

My sex hormone is normal?

Regards,

Fragrance

> > Hi, Bob.> > Your replies are so helpful. and you are so kind....> > MTHFR is a type of gene, right? I also have the HIGH levels of>

http://www.deplin.com/DeplinFacts,VsFolicAcid

Hi, Fragrance,

See the above information.....

if you have a problem with depression, that may indicate something is going on.

Whilst none of us are medically qualified, we do have ongoing knowledge by experience and as carers.

We have seen and experienced the results of medical failures.....when the prescribing doctor has not just given up, they don't have a clue where to turn next and dare not admit it in many cases, since harm has already been caused.

Can you please describe what your current doctor has advised, based upon your results, to date.

We may not be in any better position to improve on that.

It would help if you could also indicate approximately your locality and whether of European or Asian descent, there are differences in how people respond to both medications and to local environment.

If you are intending to move to North America you may have to adapt to culture, diet and environment.

The source on hyperparathyroidism (a shown previously) has an excellent database.

I couldn't find reference to 'MXD' at labtestsonline, perhaps you would spell out what the abbreviation means.

best wishes

Bob

> Thanks, Bob> I have had the routine blood tested, it seemed that I don't have the

Hi, thank you very much Bob. :)

I am in China now, and I feel that I just fight alone. For

hypothyroidism and hyperparathyroidism, I read through all the possible

source I can get in both languages and thankfully there is group that we

can connect with one another like a global community, share, help and

discuss. The additional tests are all that I requested besides the

thyroid tests, and doctors are just too proud to say they are useless.

They believe in the personal experience more, are not attentive to

recent academic research possibly due to the language barrier and

unwillingness to learn. Even if my doctors are " top " endocrine doctors

in my region, they are not bad in sole hypothyroidism, they are less

skilled with the nodules, parathyroid, and other complicated things

because of their limited knowledge and skills. Like many doctors in the

world, they treat hypothyroidism as a very simple disease.

My results just came out recently, I haven't discuss with them yet. But

don't expect they know more than you...lol..For hypothyroidism, I think

I was taught by all the knowledgable members here, e.g. the ferrintin

level..etc.

For MXD, I am sorry that perhaps I took it wrongly. It could be

MO£¥£¬or W--MCR£¥ instead...

Regards,

Fragrance

> > Thanks, Bob

> > I have had the routine blood tested, it seemed that I don't have the

>

Hi, Sheila,

What do you mean by " mgs " , Do you mean " mg " ?1000mg=1g, right?

Fragrance

>

> HI Fragrance

>

> Yes, your ferritin is far too low. Dr Friedman who is one of the

medical advisers to our forum says that people who have a ferritin level

of less than 60 should be treated with some form of elemental iron. Your

>

> Go to our website www.tpa-uk.org.uk and click on 'Hypothyroidism's and

then click on 'Associated Conditions' and on the page that opens, click

on Ferritin (or Haemochromotisis) - not sure of the title there.

Haemochormotosis is too much ferritin, and it tells you about both of

these in the article..

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

> My lab result of Ferritin 34.2 (6-159),

>

> Is that too low? What should I do now?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

------

>

>

>

>