RemedySpot.com

bursitis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Becki,

Thanks for the link you sent, regarding bursitis. Great article. 's rheumatologists and pediatrician have explained it to us as most likely pain from bursitis or tendinitis. They didn't ever mention draining and injecting the area, even when it was a chronic problem. I brought up the possibility but they didn't seem to think it was warranted in his case. However, at one visit to the Shriner's orthopedic outreach clinic when it was acting up, the doctor there did say that it might be an option to consider if it got real bad again.

There was a time when his foot and ankle pain was such an ongoing and severe problem that our pediatrician ordered xrays of 's foot because he was thinking there was probably a fracture, as he described the pain as very intense. Josh was limping all the time, lots of inflammation in the surrounding area. If only I had known then, what I know now! I was led to believe that children taking oral steroids daily didn't hardly ever get joint injections. I know differently now. When I think back to all the times when Josh couldn't hardly walk. Couldn't run or skip rope. When he needed to be picked up and carried from point A to point B or wheeled around in the wagon. It hasn't gotten to be that bad again but you can be sure that if it ever does, we'll have a much quicker resolution. For now, Josh has several pairs of supportive athletic footwear. He changes his shoes often and uses those gel orthotic heel inserts. After too much activity now, he'll mention that it's bothering him and we may apply ice or have him soak in hot water, whatever he thinks will feel better at the time (it varies?) but the level of pain hasn't gone back to what it used to be. Fortunately!

Thanks again,

Georgina

----- Original Message -----

Hi gang,I found something out when had his ankle injected and wanted to share the info in case anyone elses child may experiance the same thing.I found out that the painful swollen areas on either side of the heal is not ankle swelling, it is a bursa.I have looked it up a little and found it is caused by pressure or to much activity.It said that arthritis can cause it and its harder to treat if that is the case.If its chronic they drain and inject with steroids.They didnt do anything with s.When s swell up it is more painful than if its just his ankle.The first time I noticed it ,it was red and hot and huge and just screamed in pain.It is right behind the outside ankle bone in front of the heal and sometimes on the other side of the heal.I know now that s right ankle does not have a small effusion he has a small bursa.Georgina I think the last time you posted about Josh you mentioned he had some swelling behind his outside ankle bone.I remember you where the first one I came to when I found it the first time.Just wanted to pass this info along because s rheumies have never mentioned what it was,I had to find out from the anastesioligist.I also found out why they did not inject s ankle all the way around.The pockets to the ankle are all on top.When I asked how in the world does that make it to the back of the ankle,is when I found out it was bursitis.HugsBecki and 4systemic

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Arlene:

This sounds scary. Did you feel the pain onset was sudden? I'm not sure

bursitis symptoms would fall into this category of extreme pain. Have you

considered that maybe the new joint suffered a partial dislocation? Just a

thought - anyway, please keep us posted and I hope you find some answers soon so

that it doesn't happen again!

Ruth Z Amstutz Bilat resurfacing C+ 4/6/06

>

> I am four weeks post op for THR and I went screaming in pain to the ER today,

the dr there diagnosed me with bursitis in the hip, has anyone heard of this. I

am going to contact my surgeon tomorrow to see what he has to say. The pain was

unimaginable, like nothing I have ever experienced, any thoughts on this????

> Arlene

>

Hi Arlene,

I'm so sorry you had all this pain!  It never happened before surgery (maybe the

pain wasn't as severe, but still in the area that caused your ER trip)?  Where

was it located?  At the very top of your thigh, the outer area? 

I had to get cortisone shots in that area before my THR.  I would not describe

the pain it gave me as " screaming " , but it sure was nasty. 

When my doc did the surgery, he removed the bursa.  Normally, it looks like a

thin piece of cellophane.  Doc said mine was thick and solid white and not

smooth, but stringy.  He said in his 25 years of practice, he's never seen

anything like it.  Before surgery, he told me it is possible to remove the

bursa, but sometimes it doesn't solve the pain issue in that area.  To date, I

have no pain in that area. 

I hope your doctor can figure out what was wrong.  Please keep us posted!

Lynn

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners

who make our souls blossom.

Marcel Proust

Here's my art blog:  http://www.adreamseyeview.blogspot.com/

Subject: bursitis

Joint Replacement

Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 11:13 PM

I am four weeks post op for THR and I went screaming in pain to the ER today,

the dr there diagnosed me with bursitis in the hip, has anyone heard of this.  I

am going to contact my surgeon tomorrow to see what he has to say.  The pain was

unimaginable, like nothing I have ever experienced,  any thoughts on this????

Arlene

------------------------------------