RemedySpot.com

Hardware removal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

So what was the operation like? What was your recovery time like?

I think you made the right call--it's your body, after all.

in the East Bay

At 07:44 PM 02/09/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>I had all of my hardware removed in December and in some ways it was easier

>than having it put in. That was the second surgery for removal. After the

>first, I still had all the wire and one rod. The first surgeon did not want

>to remove any of the wires. The reason I was given was because of the bone

>and tissue growth that covered the area. Plus one doc suggested that there

>was a risk due to the fact that these wires were originally put in and meant

>to be permanent. the surgery in Dec. was supposed to take around 21/2 hours

>and took almost 6,because of the difficulty getting everything. So right now

>I have nothing except a couple of titanium clips marking the weak spots in my

>fusion.

>

>

>

>

>

>

• 2 years later...

Dear "Twisted Sister,"

I'm not sure if we had exactly the same type of revision surgery, but I do think we have some things in common. My original surgery was in 1999 - anterior/posterior fusion from T10-L5 in back and L1-L5 in front. Within a year I was tilting forward and in excruciating pain and I knew exactly what was happening. I managed to go another year with the pain and then went back to my ortho surgeon for the bad news - the L5-S1 disc had completely degenerated and was tilting forward (like a dagger, I might add!) I knew I had to have the surgery - I have low bone density and did not want it to turn into osteoporosis, so the only way to walk was to have the surgery. This one was also anterior/posterior, with the rods and screws going to my sacrum and extending into my pelvis for stabilization. I was told by 2 doctors that I would have to have the pelvic screws out after a year of fusion, as they would be very painful and prominent in my slightly built body. And they were absolutely right; this has been a year of hellish pain, and it just gets worse. I am now at my year anniversary - went to the dr. last week - had all the x-rays - I'm at the 90% fusion hoped for, but he wants me to wait 2-3 months before taking the hardware out to allow for more healing. I am at my wit's end. I know just how you feel - and you have two young children to care for. I forgot to mention that my revision surgery also totally corrected my severe flatback problem. After the first surgery, I could see some curvature in the x-rays, but not on my back. After the second surgery, I had a beautiful lordosis that I could actually feel for the first time in almost 25 years! (unlike most people on this site, my flatback did not occur as a result of Harrington rods - mine was due to hormonal changes after the birth of my daughter 24 years ago.)

I was very interested to learn about your Arachnoiditis condition, although very sorry that you are suffering with it. In reading your letter, there are some differences between your surgery to have your sacral-pelvic hardware out and mine. Why is your procedure to be done anterior? Will it be laproscopic? I've had two anterior procedures and I know quite intimately what it's like to recover from same. My procedure will be done posterior. When I found this site several weeks ago, my query for all the fellow "flatbacks" out there was to ask if anyone had had pelvic/sacral hardware removed and how they have recovered from that procedure. I went into my second surgery pretty blind - I did not even know it was considered "revision" surgery and it's been pretty scary reading these letters about various experiences.

Although you really wanted to talk to someone who already had the hardware removed, you and I are in the same boat. So if you want or need to vent, believe me, I understand what you are going through! I hope you get this letter, as I've had some trouble navigating this site. And if someone responds to you with information on their experience after having this hardware removed, could you copy the information to me? You have my eternal thanks!

Carol from Chicago

Kathy, have you had a SI block/SI cortocosteroid injection to see if that is the main source of your pain?

hardware removal

Hi y'all- greetings from the artic blast and two feet of snow and stillfalling here in NJ!Has anyone had anterior hardware removed? I am going to have my leftanterior plate and screws removed in April. I had my posterior rods andscrews removed two years ago and recovered well from that surgery and noproblems to speak of. I am really nervous having this done. My surgeondoesn't like to do this but he will. He is concerned about the risk becauseof having to go back into the same surgical area and that there will be scartissue everywhere including the artery. So he is having a vscular surgeonassist in the surgery. I have to go see that doc and get his OK. I'm doingthis because of relentless pain and I am on a very high dose of pain medsand basically have no where else to go except towards a pump and I don'twant to do that// I'm 37 married and have 9 & 7 youngins' running around.I'm so frustrated and so tired of being in this state of chronic pain. Myflatback revision surgery was Oct 1998 and I awoke with excruciating legpain which I never had before that and I am hoping that getting out thispelvic/sacral hardware will un-do the nerve irritation. well I can hope itwill help. I was diagnosed with Arachnoiditis a year ago at L5-S1 level andI just can't live with the pain and dump all my problems on thearachnoiditis just yet. I guess I feel I have to take the chance to getbetter. It does happen, a piece of hardware can be causing the pain. Mysurgeon does realize this and he is willing to remove the hardware to giveme that chance. My surgeon has been so compassionate and wonderful. He isNOT the one who put in all the hardware. I went to him an emotional wreckbecause the operating 1998 surgeon didn't care what condition I was in afterhis stunning performance to fix my flatback. I tried 5 other surgeons tohelp and no one would. Then I found Dr Errico and I have been blessed. He ishonest and thats all I have ever wanted from anyone is honest answers notthe BS.....while this may not be the magic fix I am willing to risk my lifeto have hope that I can be better and in less pain. OK so my question to anyof you is... has anyone had anterior spinal hardware removal and what wasrecovery like?The surgeons office is telling me 1/2 day in the O.R. and aminimum of 3 days in hospital and quite likely a week. i have to have 4units of blood on hand for the surgery. I'm just trying to figure out howlong I'll be down in recovery before I am up and back to doing my dailytasks like feeding my children.:-)....so many unknowns I know it won't beas horrible as the metal going in but the anterior surgery unto itself is abig ordeal..I am very hopeful that it will be a good outcome and I am justwondering if there are any thing I am not considering as i go into yetaother big surgery.Thanks for your input and support. And for any of youconsidering flatback surgery.. go for it. I still would do it again as mydeformity has been corrected I am upright and can stand and walk for hoursand hours without that awful low back pain I had pre-op 1998. UnfortunatelyI suffered nerve injury (possibly due to hardware) which has caused mystring of related problems. AND besides now these surgeons are much moreskilled having learned from us earlier 'fixes'. In 1997 when I was searchingfor answers there was basically nothing out here on the internet andI wasgoing in blind to that revision/salvage surgery....BLIND is anunderstatement But my deformity has been fixed correctly and while I tradedone area of pain for different pain I can at least physically be 'normal'and stand up straight and walk and stand at the kitchen sink peelingvegetables and prepare dinner without being reduced to tears and agony.Knowing what I know now I would have gotten more opinions and probablywaited a bit if I had been under proper pain management care. So for any onesuffering.. get to a proper good pain management doctor first before doinganything else. Pain breeds depression and depresion makes you perceive morepain.. a viscous cycle that has to be stopped. Don't ever make any decisionsin an agonizing depressed state. the best advice a doctor gave me was thatshe wouldn't treat pain without putting me on a mild anti-depressant becausethey go hand in hand. The anti-depressant makes the pain meds work better.OK back to my question: anyone have experience with anterior sacral/pelvichardware removal? thankswishing you many peaceful momentsTwistedSister in NJScoliosis, Revision A/P Surgery for Flatback Syndrome, Spinal HardwareRemoved, Degenrative SI Joints, Cervical bulging discs, Arachnoiditis,Fibromyalgia, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Mitral Valve Prolapse, WeightLoss Surgery, Kidney Stones, Adhesions,** LIFE IS UNCERTAIN.............EAT DESSERT FIRST **Harrington Rod scoliosis people and other post-op multiple spine surgerypeople may interested in the following website dedicated to FlatbackSyndrome and revision/salvage spine surgery... "Salvaged Sisters ofScoliosis" website on Delphi Forums at:http://forums.delphiforums.com/adultscoliosis/messagesAdult scoliosis support; focus on fixed sagittal imbalance. WE DO NOT ENDORSE ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED HERE AND HAVE NO CONTROL OVER ADS.

Dear "Twisted Sister",

Thanks so much for responding to my letter! It's very encouraging to know that someone else has gone through removal procedure successfully. I'm not convinced that the pelvic rods and screws are totally my problem, though. Since my revision surgery a year ago, I have not been able to sit in a reclining position (as in my recliner chair) at all. Within seconds of sitting in my recliner, I would experience excruciating pain in the tailbone. My concern is that this has not improved at all in a year of healing. My doc told me last week that I have coccydynia - inflammation of the tailbone, and that the screws and rods are probably irritating the area. After thinking about his explanation, another possibility came to my mind. Could my completely artificial lordosis make me sit "funny" - after all, when you're in a recliner, you're sitting with all your weight on your tailbone. Could my new lordosis be responsible for making me sit on my tailbone instead of whatever angle you're supposed to at? Did you ever have problems sitting that were similar to this after your flatback surgery? I'm going to ask my surgeon to take sitting x-rays before I have the hardware removed to see if my angle of lordosis is a problem. I don't want to have a 4th surgery if this problem continues!

How long of an anterior cut are you going to have? I can't tell from your letters - did you have anterior surgery originally to have that hardware installed? And is Dr. Errico going to have to cut through the muscle? My first surgery's anterior cut is about 14 inches long laterally on my right side and he did cut through the muscle. The second procedure was much less painful and involved - a 3-4 inch cut on the left side of my lower belly and muscles were pushed aside, not cut. My surgeon was Dr. Kim Hammerberg at Rush Presbyterian St. Lukes Medical Center in Chicago. I think he is an excellent surgeon and I would recommend him. You're so young to have to go through all this surgery - my heart goes out to you. Chronic pain is so hard on the whole family unit. Good for you for searching out every avenue you can to get yourself out of pain. It takes a lot of courage to do what you're doing!

Carol in Chicago

P.S. I'm going to look up that site on Arachnoiditis and see what I can learn!

Dear Kathleen,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with your hardware removal, doctors, and great advice! It is so entirely helpful to hear from someone who has experienced similar problems and was successful in surgical outcome. You have suffered so much through all your procedures and yet you have the courage to face another travail. It's such a shame that you had to acquire such a great amount of knowledge from first-hand experience, though. Does it seem to you that once you have the first scoliosis procedure that they never stop? One seems to lead to another, and another, and another! All these scoliosis stories seem to share this common theme. It's a very scary thought, and one that I wasn't aware of during my blissful ignorance period - I really believed I would have one procedure and one procedure only! I did hear that Hopkins is supposed to be one of the best hospitals around for scoli surgeries. I haven't heard the name Dr. Kostuik, but then I am still learning. Have you ever heard of Dr. DeWald? My dr. trained under and worked with him as a partner for many years - Dr. DeWald was my first attending at my 1st surgery - he's retired now, too. He was an amazing guy. I swear he diagnosed me in 20 seconds - this, after going to innumerable doctors in every specialty for six years trying to get a diagnosis. I have degenerative scoliosis with flatback syndrome.

I am thinking about your letter and your advice about second opinions. It was very encouraging to hear that having your posterior hardware really helped your pelvic/sacral pain. I do have several "commercial" size ice packs, but I can't lay on them because the pressure causes too much pain! Literally, I feel myself getting worse each day - you are so right about being stuck in chronic pain. I also believe that there are many people out there who have gone through scoli surgeries who suffer from post traumatic stress. I remember telling my surgeon that I thought I had it after my 1st surgery. He replied that he had never heard it expressed like that, but I believe it with all my heart. These surgeries are just so painful, life altering, debilitating, and so offensive to your body image, that someone who has never gone through it really can't understand the hugeness of the issue. The way my post traumatic stress manifests is refusing to go to bed at night no matter how tired I am. And it's not because I'm afraid I'm going to die - it's that I'm afraid to face the pain of the night. I don't know if I'll ever get over this.

Anyway, thank you again for all your great advice and suggestions! By the way, how did you find your Dr.Errico? From a site or a recommendation?

Take good care -

Carol in Chicago

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Hi everyone,

I am getting closer to rod removal. My surgery is May 30th. I have had

my Harrington Rod for 19 years and have developed pain in by back and pain in

my arms and legs due to nerves and flatback. My surgeon took over for my

original surgeon who has retired. I trust my surgeon with the procedure. I am

hoping for good results from the removal. I will keep the group posted.

Carla

Guest guest

Hi Carla,

Feel free to e-mail me directly since I have just been through it!

When you hit reply, look at the TO: box and scroll down to e-mail

just to me. I'll tell you about my experience and a couple of

things I'd do differently in the hospital for comfort!

Take care and stay busy to avoid getting nervous!

M.

• 5 years later...
Guest guest

I feel for you. I have not had a similar surgery so unfortunately I can't

answer your question. But I am curious what hardware you have and how you ended

up with so many surgeries at such a young age.

-

spinal problems@...: tpowell1977@...:

Fri, 1 Aug 2008 03:56:04 +0000Subject: Hardware

Removal

I'm having my hardware out on Monday. This will be my 6th surgery for my lumbar

spine. This is a last ditch effort to reduce my pain enough to hopefully avoid

disability.I'm 30 years old and will never be " normal " again. I have three kids

under the age of 11 and a marriage only two years young. I'm trying to stay

positive, but of course it's hard. Especially when my husband thinks I will be a

" cripple " for the rest of our lives.My last fusion was Feb 2007. It took 7

months to get back to my job. My career is that of surgical technologist. This

means that I scrub in to the surgery and help with instrumentation, sutures and

implants, etc.. My specialty is neuro/ortho and mostly spine, but also brain

surgeries. I love my job with a passion, but I fear I will never be able to

return to it.I was wondering if anyone here has had hardware removal as I'm

curious as to what to expect. I've scrubbed the cases many times, but have no

idea what happens after the patient goes home. Someone told me they felt great

in three wekks, but my surgeon just told me 8-12! That doesn't make sense to me

with what I know about surgery. I am expecting this to be a cakewalk compared to

the other surgeries I've had. I know I'll hurt pretty good the first week, but

I'd think it would be fairly quick to recover from. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Guest guest

I had my 3rd surgery to install my hardware at L4-L5 on Dec. 1, 2000.

Unfortunately, the surgeon got one of the screws in crooked. On June 16,

2006, I had surgery to remove the hardware because the crooked screw had

broken through into the spinal canal. The surgeon apparently didn't pay

good attention and didn't see that the fusion had never grown!! On Nov. 14,

2007, I had a different surgeon re-install the hardware. He had to go to L3

in order to correct the problem.

When I first had the hardware removed it was a piece of cake. It was

nothing compared to having the hardware installed! I was back at work in 4

weeks (I work as a secretary which requires a lot of sitting).

Now I have a bigger problem. Since I went almost 1-1/2 years with nothing

holding my back together (and not knowing it) and acting as if everything

was normal -- doing everything I wanted to do -- I have damaged the nerves

in my spinal canal. Even though I have been put back together, I still have

problems with pain and weakness in my legs, and trouble sitting or standing

for more than 30 minutes. I'm still not back at work and am applying for

Disability.

The moral of this book is to be sure that there is something holding your

back together before you let anyone remove that hardware!!!

Dawn

On 7/31/08 11:56 PM, " tpowell1977 " <tpowell1977@...> wrote:

> I'm having my hardware out on Monday. This will be my 6th surgery for

> my lumbar spine. This is a last ditch effort to reduce my pain enough

> to hopefully avoid disability.

>

> I'm 30 years old and will never be " normal " again. I have three kids

> under the age of 11 and a marriage only two years young. I'm trying

> to stay positive, but of course it's hard. Especially when my husband

> thinks I will be a " cripple " for the rest of our lives.

>

> My last fusion was Feb 2007. It took 7 months to get back to my job.

> My career is that of surgical technologist. This means that I scrub

> in to the surgery and help with instrumentation, sutures and

> implants, etc.. My specialty is neuro/ortho and mostly spine, but

> also brain surgeries. I love my job with a passion, but I fear I will

> never be able to return to it.

>

> I was wondering if anyone here has had hardware removal as I'm

> curious as to what to expect. I've scrubbed the cases many times, but

> have no idea what happens after the patient goes home. Someone told

> me they felt great in three wekks, but my surgeon just told me 8-12!

> That doesn't make sense to me with what I know about surgery. I am

> expecting this to be a cakewalk compared to the other surgeries I've

> had. I know I'll hurt pretty good the first week, but I'd think it

> would be fairly quick to recover from. Anyone care to enlighten me?

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

Guest guest

I had all mine removed about 4 weeks ago. Its not as easy as the docs says it

is. For some reason  they seem to over estimate our healing powers. But I still

have a good bit of pain but its slowly going away. As far as helping in the long

term I have no idea right now

Ron Paterson    ronpat0471@...

Subject: Hardware Removal

spinal problems

Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 10:56 PM

I'm having my hardware out on Monday. This will be my 6th surgery for

my lumbar spine. This is a last ditch effort to reduce my pain enough

to hopefully avoid disability.

Guest guest

How long did they keep you in the hospital post-op? How much help did you need

when you came home?

Hardware Removal

spinedisorderssuppo rtgroup@gro ups.com

Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 10:56 PM

I'm having my hardware out on Monday. This will be my 6th surgery for

my lumbar spine. This is a last ditch effort to reduce my pain enough

to hopefully avoid disability.

Guest guest

it was just supposed to be over night but I ended staying 2 nights. The hard

wear he used in July 07. I didn’t know it and never heard of it but he said it

was designed to be removed after every thing fused.. sis weeks after having the

hardware out I had a  Nerve stimulation device implanted. . That was just last

Tuesday. So right now I have pain from what ever started this long ago, pain

from the hard ware removal. and pain from having the implant. So every thing to

do with my pain right now is real confusing about where it comes from.

Ron patterson   ronpat071@...

Subject: Re: Hardware Removal

spinal problems

Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 2:05 PM

when you came home?

Guest guest

You bet and the only way to know if it's truly fused is with CT, contrary to

popular thought an xray only gives an idea. I had this last fusion because my

first was accomplished with facet screws instead of the tried-and-true pedicle

screws that most everyone else has. I was told by my surgeon that I was fused

and was ok'd to try to get pregnant 6 mos after surgery! Wow was that stupid!

Anyway, my back never fused and only screws held it together for a few years

until the day they broke. I tried to avoid surgery for three years. My surgeon

never admitted any wrongdoing to me by the way...of course. I had my back fixed

last year by what I consider one of the best ever. I have worked alongside many

spine docs and this guy is tops with me! He's the kind of guy who stays no

mayyet how long it takes, until that screw that looks a little off, is in right!

Even when he's missing dinner or bedtime with his kids. He's the kind of guy

that is realistic with you

about expectations from surgery and will try to hold off on surgery if he feels

it's in your best interest. I love this man!

Anyway, he told me recovery would take 8-12 weeks! Ugh! I cannot see that as

realistic, but the man doesn't lie!

Re: Hardware Removal

I had my 3rd surgery to install my hardware at L4-L5 on Dec. 1, 2000.

Unfortunately, the surgeon got one of the screws in crooked. On June 16,

2006, I had surgery to remove the hardware because the crooked screw had

broken through into the spinal canal. The surgeon apparently didn't pay

good attention and didn't see that the fusion had never grown!! On Nov. 14,

2007, I had a different surgeon re-install the hardware. He had to go to L3

in order to correct the problem.

When I first had the hardware removed it was a piece of cake. It was

nothing compared to having the hardware installed! I was back at work in 4

weeks (I work as a secretary which requires a lot of sitting).

Now I have a bigger problem. Since I went almost 1-1/2 years with nothing

holding my back together (and not knowing it) and acting as if everything

was normal -- doing everything I wanted to do -- I have damaged the nerves

in my spinal canal. Even though I have been put back together, I still have

problems with pain and weakness in my legs, and trouble sitting or standing

for more than 30 minutes. I'm still not back at work and am applying for

Disability.

The moral of this book is to be sure that there is something holding your

back together before you let anyone remove that hardware!!!

Dawn

On 7/31/08 11:56 PM, " tpowell1977 " <tpowell1977> wrote:

> I'm having my hardware out on Monday. This will be my 6th surgery for

> my lumbar spine. This is a last ditch effort to reduce my pain enough

> to hopefully avoid disability.

>

> I'm 30 years old and will never be " normal " again. I have three kids

> under the age of 11 and a marriage only two years young. I'm trying

> to stay positive, but of course it's hard. Especially when my husband

> thinks I will be a " cripple " for the rest of our lives.

>

> My last fusion was Feb 2007. It took 7 months to get back to my job.

> My career is that of surgical technologist. This means that I scrub

> in to the surgery and help with instrumentation, sutures and

> implants, etc.. My specialty is neuro/ortho and mostly spine, but

> also brain surgeries. I love my job with a passion, but I fear I will

> never be able to return to it.

>

> I was wondering if anyone here has had hardware removal as I'm

> curious as to what to expect. I've scrubbed the cases many times, but

> have no idea what happens after the patient goes home. Someone told

> me they felt great in three wekks, but my surgeon just told me 8-12!

> That doesn't make sense to me with what I know about surgery. I am

> expecting this to be a cakewalk compared to the other surgeries I've

> had. I know I'll hurt pretty good the first week, but I'd think it

> would be fairly quick to recover from. Anyone care to enlighten me?

>

>

> ------------ --------- --------- ------

>

>

Guest guest

Please post your experience as you go along. Hardware removal is

always in the back of our collective brain here.

My husband had an L4-L5 fusion with laminectomy in 05/03 and has been

in unable-to-work pain, just as bad as before the fusion or worse,

and that despite a spinal cord simulator. My mother and his sister

have both had surgical hardware removed from their legs to their

improvement, so we've asked two different surgeons about the cotinued

efficacy of the hardware. The first was the surgeon that put it in -

big mistake. The second was too busy condemning my husband for his

weight gain, even before looking at that day's films. We've seen my

husband's spine on xray, ct, and mri and a dozen docs have agreed

that it's fused solid.

Let me pose the question that is at the core of this issue that a

number of folks here (or their loved ones) are facing - what are the

criteria for determining that hardware is doing more harm than good,

obvious flaws like breakage aside?

Kroll

Richond, VA

vagoatsoap.com

Guest guest

You would usually experience pain directly over where the screws are. The only

way to know for sure if the fusion is solid is with a CT scan. According to my

surgeon, hardware may be made out of the most inert metal, but it doesn't belong

in your body, It is a foreign object and can cause problems. Also, it is not a

normal anatomical part of your body.

Generally the hardware doesn't cause a big problem, but in some it does. For me,

my pain from the surgery definitely got better for a while. My original pain was

gone after surgery and I only had the fusion pain (bad enough). I didn't feel

great for long though and never felt perfect.The pain I feel now is only where

my screws are and does not cause any numbness or weakness or leg pain. This

would be ONLY back pain. If this criteria fits your husband, then he may want to

consider removal. Has he been to a pain clinic and had injections for this?

Facet pain is also common after fusion. There are injections for this as well

and are useful for diagnosis as well. ---

Please post your experience as you go along. Hardware removal is

always in the back of our collective brain here.

My husband had an L4-L5 fusion with laminectomy in 05/03 and has been

in unable-to-work pain, just as bad as before the fusion or worse,

and that despite a spinal cord simulator. My mother and his sister

have both had surgical hardware removed from their legs to their

improvement, so we've asked two different surgeons about the cotinued

efficacy of the hardware. The first was the surgeon that put it in -

big mistake. The second was too busy condemning my husband for his

weight gain, even before looking at that day's films. We've seen my

husband's spine on xray, ct, and mri and a dozen docs have agreed

that it's fused solid.

Let me pose the question that is at the core of this issue that a

number of folks here (or their loved ones) are facing - what are the

criteria for determining that hardware is doing more harm than good,

obvious flaws like breakage aside?

Kroll

Richond, VA

vagoatsoap.com

Guest guest

It sounds it Ron. The sad thing is that for people like us, the damage is done

and we may never be well again. Surgery is horrible on your back and it causes

lasting damage. The more surgery, the more damage. Have they turned on your

spine stimulator yet? Does it help? I've scrubbed these cases too and I know

it's for the end of the road, pain that isn't going to go away. I also am aware

of the risks of having a foreign body sitting on your spinal cord. I'm unsure if

I would get one. Are the benefits worth the risks. I was also told they only

help 50% of poeple. Not great odds. ---

spinedisorderssuppo rtgroup@gro ups.com

Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 2:05 PM

when you came home?

Guest guest

The test went ok. I had a couple real good days so we knew it was going to help

some. He went ahead and put two leads in , one on each side. Its just been 3

days so the main pain is still mixed up. I’ll go back post op in 6 days, and

he said there was no use in trying to adjust or target any thing right now. Its

missing the spots in places I really need help with and he said he will try to

help that post op. but not to get to worried if he doesnt get it just right

then, He wants to wait a few more weeks to make sure they are trapped where they

are supposed to be. My problem is a little different than most. My pain is not

coming from my back but big scar tissue in the pelvic area.And its very hard for

them to target it. The back problem is a cyst they found while looking for

something else. Mine is made so they can add two more leads if we decide to. In

two months I will go to some kind of a school. A few of us, they are going to

let have full control

over every thing it will do,and see how we do. Things the doctors have been not

letting us know about, because they thought it would be better if they adjusted

it. Right now i’m getting maybe 20% help. maybe a little more every now and

then. But this s about the last thing I have got so any help at all is great,

This has been a 6 year odreal with pain going any where from a 7 to a reay 9+ a

lot of the time

Ron patterson ronpat0471@...

> From: Babbitt <tpowell1977@...>

> Subject: Re: Hardware Removal

> spinal problems

> Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 3:48 PM

> It sounds it Ron. The sad thing is that for people like us,

> the damage is done and we may never be well again. Surgery

>

Guest guest

Hi ,

Who is this doctor and where is he located?

Judy McG

>

> You bet and the only way to know if it's truly fused is with CT,

contrary to popular thought an xray only gives an idea. I had this

last fusion because my first was accomplished with facet screws

instead of the tried-and-true pedicle screws that most everyone else

has. I was told by my surgeon that I was fused and was ok'd to try to

get pregnant 6 mos after surgery! Wow was that stupid! Anyway, my

back never fused and only screws held it together for a few years

until the day they broke. I tried to avoid surgery for three years.

My surgeon never admitted any wrongdoing to me by the way...of

course. I had my back fixed last year by what I consider one of the

best ever. I have worked alongside many spine docs and this guy is

tops with me! He's the kind of guy who stays no mayyet how long it

takes, until that screw that looks a little off, is in right! Even

when he's missing dinner or bedtime with his kids. He's the kind of

guy that is realistic with you

> about expectations from surgery and will try to hold off on

surgery if he feels it's in your best interest. I love this man!

> Anyway, he told me recovery would take 8-12 weeks! Ugh! I cannot

see that as realistic, but the man doesn't lie!

>

>

>

Guest guest

Judy,

His name is Glazer and he is in Boston, MA. After all I've been through, I

would say that even if I lived on the opposite coast, I would travel to Boston

to have him operate on me. He's fantastic and I trust him with my body(my

future!). ---

Hi ,

Who is this doctor and where is he located?

Judy McG

>

> You bet and the only way to know if it's truly fused is with CT,

contrary to popular thought an xray only gives an idea. I had this

last fusion because my first was accomplished with facet screws

instead of the tried-and-true pedicle screws that most everyone else

has. I was told by my surgeon that I was fused and was ok'd to try to

get pregnant 6 mos after surgery! Wow was that stupid! Anyway, my

back never fused and only screws held it together for a few years

until the day they broke. I tried to avoid surgery for three years.

My surgeon never admitted any wrongdoing to me by the way...of

course. I had my back fixed last year by what I consider one of the

best ever. I have worked alongside many spine docs and this guy is

tops with me! He's the kind of guy who stays no mayyet how long it

takes, until that screw that looks a little off, is in right! Even

when he's missing dinner or bedtime with his kids. He's the kind of

guy that is realistic with you

> about expectations from surgery and will try to hold off on

surgery if he feels it's in your best interest. I love this man!

> Anyway, he told me recovery would take 8-12 weeks! Ugh! I cannot

see that as realistic, but the man doesn't lie!

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi

I have another question for you?

Do any of those surgeons do SI joint fixation surgery?

I am curious.

It may well be that a lot of my back problems are stemming from long time

right SI joint problems.

I have looked around and online and the only Neurosurgeon who seems do be

doing these is a guy in Atlanta through Emory Medical Hospital. Dr.

Amaral.

Apparently he has been doing them for 20 years.

I cant find anyone in the Washington DC Metro area.

Just wondered if you ever scrubbed for any of those or heard about them in

your work?

thanks,

in DC

> [Original Message]

> From: Babbitt <tpowell1977@...>

> <spinal problems >

> Date: 8/1/2008 4:49:11 PM

>

> It sounds it Ron. The sad thing is that for people like us, the damage is

done and we may never be well again. Surgery is horrible on your back and

it causes lasting damage. The more surgery, the more damage. Have they

turned on your spine stimulator yet? Does it help? I've scrubbed these

cases too and I know it's for the end of the road, pain that isn't going to

go away. I also am aware of the risks of having a foreign body sitting on

your spinal cord. I'm unsure if I would get one. Are the benefits worth the

risks. I was also told they only help 50% of poeple. Not great odds.

---

>

>

>

> Re: Hardware Removal

> spinedisorderssuppo rtgroup@gro ups.com

> Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 2:05 PM

>

> How long did they keep you in the hospital post-op? How much help did you

need when you came home?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I went to Emory  for a while. Very nice people and place.

ron patterson ronpay0471@...

>

> From: Babbitt <tpowell1977>

>

need when you came home?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I have never heard of this surgery before and don't know who does them. I can

ask tomorrow if i think of it.

I have thirty minutes left to eat...it's almost midnight!!! Ugh! My surgery

isn't until 3:30 and they won't let me eat after midnight just in case a

different case cancells and mine gets moved up.My plan is to stay up late

tonight and go to bed late so that I will hopefully sleep until it's time to

leave at 12:15.

My stomach has been buggers all evening. I'm trying to not stress and I don't

really feel anxious in my head, but apparently my body does...nauseous and

palpitations, can't sit still.

I'm not looking forward to this at all! I'm sick and tired of this!!! ---

>

need when you came home?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Not that I've ever heard of. Like I said, I had not heard of SI joint fixation,

but...from what I know about fixation and that part of our body in separate

terms, It would have to be the absolute end of the road for me to do that. Like

if i couldn't tie my own shoes anymore or something. Fixation of any bones

causes many other problems when they are not capable of moving as they are meant

to. As most of us here know that. Each small or big part in our body place such

an intricate role both on it's own and as part of a group. When part of a team

cannot do it's job, other parts try to take on the work, but those team members

do not have the physical capability to do that particular job. Even if the job

description is similar, they are different in sometimes small but meaningful

ways. Did you get my analogy?

I know how hard this chronic pain is for you and I know that when you hear of a

certain treatment that may be helpful, you want to hang all your hopes on it.

It's normal! I was thinking, in order to find out who is doing these cases and

who's doing a lot of them is the sales reps. With most any instrumentation case

(fusions w/screws or rods) there is a field sales rep in the OR who makes sure

everything goes well with the intstrumentation and that all supplies and tools

are there. they stay for the case to guide the surgeon or answer questions if

needed. These are the guys who have all the inside knowledge of who's doing it,

is it even helpful, risks, etc. You can google a search for a company by " SI

joint fixation companies " or something like that, maybe a name will pop up.

Also, if you are reading an article in like " spine health " or something, you

might see an ad or note about the company. Do your research from that direction.

Tell them what state you

are calling from and ask to be put in touch with a field sales rep for that

particular device system. I'll see what else I can find for you. I have a friend

who put in my spine hardware, I'll see what he knows.

Bottom line, only you can decide what is right for you. Never allow a doc who

has done very few of anything do anything on you. Also, when having major

surgery at a teaching hospital, make sure no residents are performing any

critical procedures or portions of procedures. You have the right to that.

I don't know when I'll get back to you. My surgery is scheduled to start in 13

hours. I'm so anxious! No matter how many surgeries you have, it never gets any

easier.  ---

>

need when you came home?

>

> 

>

>

>     

>

>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I read someone's email about having their hardware removed. And she said

she was in much less pain after she got out of the hospital and their awful

beds. I am excited to have read that. I think her name was . I live in

great pain and I think most of it is due to the hardware in my lumbar. I had

cages put in and they did not fuse. And so another doctor put pedical screws and

rods on top the cages. I hurt daily and am begining to walk very hunched over.

If you see this email me please and tell me how it went and what type of

hardware you had and they removed.  Please. I am going to see my internist on

Aug.27 and he wants to talk about my awful posture. I want to tell him about

this email. I hope someone will get back to me on this. Hurting daily in

Oregon.....Heidi   oh my email address is hydyho64@...