Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Amy, Has your daughter ever been on any kind of DMARD? That is a

disease modifying anti rheumatic drug. It helps to slow the damage down

with the disease, and it helps to slow the disease itself. Methotrexate is

usually the drug of choice. Another thought is that n's doctor

recommended joint injections for relief. I don't know if they can inject

the hip and shoulder, but it might be worth asking about. Sometimes the

joint injections can bring great relief for a very long time. Good luck.

(n,age13, systemic)

>From: " amyannk " <amykemper@...>

>Reply-

>

>Subject: pain managment

>Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:15:43 -0000

>

>Hello:

>My daughter Lacy is 15 years old. She was dx. with JRA and Raynaud's

>Disease. She is having a lot of trouble with the pain in her left hip

>and left shoulder. Her curent medications are naproxin 375mg bid and

>predisone, with tylenol for break-through pain. This does not seem to

>be helping. She uses excersice and message therapy, and heat therapy

>with only minimal relief. Are there any other idea's. She knows that

>she will always have some pain but would like relief.

>thanks for your help.

>amy and lacy

>

>

>To unsubscribe, please send a message to:

> -unsubscribe

>

>To change your email delivery options, please visit:

> /

>

>

Guest guest

Dear Amy (mom of 15 yo)

Everytime that I talk to someone who is the same age as me, I have to talk

to his/her mom, and I would rather just talk to the person. What is Lacy's

e-mail address? Thanx. Mine is GlamGirl131@... . I would love to

talk to her. :-)

-Jenn

Guest guest

Amy

doesnt like taking her medications what she has done though is

getting in the tub and trying this and since shes been doing the pool you

will see her out there alot see if the aqua therapy would help your daughter

was hurting bad in her hip and leg the other day but never let me

know it until later she was in the pool for hours and when she got out she

told me and said she wished she could stay in there longer

Robbin

• 4 years later...

Dear Deb ... yep, that can be nasty stuff. I was amazed at the symptoms

it produced in me.

Has your doctor recommended anyother pain meds? I was on 2

Oxycontin/day plus 4 Extra Strength Tylenol & 4 aspirin (blood

thinning).

Then after 2 weeks I cut back to one OxyC/day ... then after 4 days I

eliminated the Oxy altogether. I had withdrawal symptoms of tear jags,

hot flashes, paranoia, etc. Took about a week to clean out of my

system - though I was much better in 3 days.

The Doctor said I could take more Tylenol (I now take 2, 3x/day) and

use ice packs to manage.

Check w/your Doctor on alternatives. Good luck to you ... Jackie

>

> I had a hip replacement 16 days ago. They sent me home with Vicodin.

I

> started out on two tabs every four hours, then one, then one half and

> am now down to one quarter of a tab. I would do better on at least a

> half but the dependance on this med scares me. Even now if the dose

is

> missed I am getting withdrawal symptoms and fell absolultely awful

> until it gets back in my system. I feel like a drug addict and it

> didn't take long. My question is, should I put up with the

additional

> pain so I can wean myself off these things or take enough to be pain

> free and risk further addiction? I have never in my life taken

> narcotics so this is all new.

>

> Deb

>

Deb, First, you are not an addict because you are not abusing drugs. You are chemically dependent because you have a condition that demands pain management. When I had my first knee repair a few years ago -- an outpatient procedure -- I told the nurse I could never, ever take pain pills. She said, "Do yourself and us a favor and take these pills home with you so we don't have to see you in the ER at 2 a.m. crying in pain and begging for something." I did. And exactly 24 hours when the block wore off, I was

hurting terribly. I took a pill out, held it, stared at it, thought about it for awhile and finally took the plunge and swallowed it. And got instant relief. When I had my BTKR in September, I was doing what you are doing now -- trying not to take my meds -- until I found this site and learned from others that there is absolutely no need to suffer and that pain management is critical to healing mentally and physically. Weaning was a totally new concept. Not one health-care provider had even talked to me about it -- thus my fear of dependence. My surgeon said my recovery was a little longer and more painful than average, so I was on meds from September through January -- with gradual

dosage decreases. I wrote my own plan for weaning off in mid-December and the surgeon liked it. It was very, very gradual. I was off both meds by mid-January without any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I got down to one-half Hydrocodone every other day until I could feel my body was no longer chemically dependent. When you are ready to start weaning, you will need your surgeon's buy-in to your plan because he has to write the prescriptions. Your surgeon can also make you aware of any potential negative drug interactions if you are returning to a non-narcotic maintenance med. In my case, I had to start back on Ultracet for my arthritis, which contains an acetaminophen as does the Hyrdrocodone. We had to ensure I didn't exceed the daily limit for acetaminophen. There is a time to control your pain and heal and a time to wean. And obviously, you still need to manage your pain. I wish you the best in your recovery. Every week gets better. And as each month goes by, you will look back and be amazed how far you have come. Warm regards, Donna cocoisland58 <cocoisland58@...> wrote: I had a hip replacement 16 days ago. They sent me home with Vicodin. I started out on two tabs every four hours, then one, then one half and am now down to one quarter of a tab. I would do better on at least a half but the dependance on this med scares me. Even now if the dose is missed I am getting withdrawal symptoms and fell absolultely awful until it gets back in my system. I feel like a drug addict and it didn't take long. My question is, should I put up with the additional pain so I can wean myself off these things or take enough to be pain free and risk further addiction? I have never in my life taken narcotics so this is all new. Deb

Everyone is raving about the all-new beta.

Deb, I share your concern about the prescription pain medicine. I stopped those about 4-5 days post surgery and went with regular frequency non-prescription pain relief. I would suggest that you not sacrifice too much. Once in pain to hard to get away from the pain. Good luck. Mikecocoisland58 <cocoisland58@...> wrote: I had a hip replacement 16 days ago. They sent me home with

Vicodin. I started out on two tabs every four hours, then one, then one half and am now down to one quarter of a tab. I would do better on at least a half but the dependance on this med scares me. Even now if the dose is missed I am getting withdrawal symptoms and fell absolultely awful until it gets back in my system. I feel like a drug addict and it didn't take long. My question is, should I put up with the additional pain so I can wean myself off these things or take enough to be pain free and risk further addiction? I have never in my life taken narcotics so this is all new. Deb

Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

deb,

i just this minutes spoke to my doctor's office about my vicodin. i'm 4 weeks out and i'm now taking a 10mg tablet every 7 or more hours. i have been very concerned because others here have gone off their meds a lot sooner, but the nurse reassured me i'm doing fine and taking one every 7+ hours is in no way harmful. i was told i can cut the pill in half when the pain isn't bad but if i have a bad day and need more to take a full one. i mentioned becoming addicted and again was told i'm no way addicted taking one every 7+ hours. i would think that if you're in pain, not to suffer needlessly. your body needs time to heal and it's only been 2 weeks for you -- that's way too soon, in my opinion, to go off your meds if you still need them. when the time comes to stop them, weaning yourself off them slowly shouldn't be a problem. i've heard that when our bodies are in pain, we don't become addicted, it's not like you're taking them to get high, you need them. now if you were taking them and you didn't have pain, then i'd worry. don't let yourself suffer.

Hugs,Lindy LouRight THR 1/22/2007

----- Original Message ----- I had a hip replacement 16 days ago. They sent me home with Vicodin. I started out on two tabs every four hours, then one, then one half and am now down to one quarter of a tab. I would do better on at least a half but the dependance on this med scares me. Even now if the dose is missed I am getting withdrawal symptoms and fell absolultely awful until it gets back in my system. I feel like a drug addict and it didn't take long. My question is, should I put up with the additional pain so I can wean myself off these things or take enough to be pain free and risk further addiction? I have never in my life taken narcotics so this is all new. Deb

you guys/gals who go off your pain meds so quickly amaze me. ;-) good for you! however, each person is different and tolerates meds and pain differently. i think each of us knows when it's time to go off the meds and that along with our doctor's advice, will help us through it. if one slowly weans themself off it shouldn't be too awfully bad. i was weaned off ativan once and it was done VERY VERY slowly. i still had withdrawal, but it wasn't anything i couldn't stand. i would just go with my gut feelings but again, congrats to all of you who were able to go off your pain meds so soon. but for those who haven't, don't feel so bad -- each of us is a totally different person. ;-)

Hugs,Lindy LouRight THR 1/22/2007

Dear Deb ... yep, that can be nasty stuff. I was amazed at the symptoms it produced in me.Has your doctor recommended anyother pain meds? I was on 2 Oxycontin/day plus 4 Extra Strength Tylenol & 4 aspirin (blood thinning).Then after 2 weeks I cut back to one OxyC/day ... then after 4 days I eliminated the Oxy altogether. I had withdrawal symptoms of tear jags, hot flashes, paranoia, etc. Took about a week to clean out of my system - though I was much better in 3 days.The Doctor said I could take more Tylenol (I now take 2, 3x/day) and use ice packs to manage. Check w/your Doctor on alternatives. Good luck to you ... Jackie

Thanks Mike. And Deb, you are ONLY a drug addict IF you have no pain and take the drugs to get a "high" from that drug. When you find yourself taking more drugs to help alleviate the pain, even if it's a small percentage of pain control, then it's STILL not addiction. It's called a built up tolerance to that drug because that's the body's natural reaction to anything. Alcohol works the same way. I used to be a "drinker" back when I had no pain and before I met my wife. After a couple of years took many more beers, ect. to get a "buzz" off any of it. Same thing. So IF you are taking the drugs to get rid of the pain levels NEVER, EVER consider yourself on the same levels as a simple street-level drug addict, please. I wish more people and especially more doctors understood this.

Dale

Re: Pain Managment

Deb,

I share your concern about the prescription pain medicine. I stopped those about 4-5 days post surgery and went with regular frequency non-prescription pain relief.

I would suggest that you not sacrifice too much. Once in pain to hard to get away from the pain.

Good luck.

Mikecocoisland58 <cocoisland58 > wrote:

I had a hip replacement 16 days ago. They sent me home with Vicodin. I started out on two tabs every four hours, then one, then one half and am now down to one quarter of a tab. I would do better on at least a half but the dependance on this med scares me. Even now if the dose is missed I am getting withdrawal symptoms and fell absolultely awful until it gets back in my system. I feel like a drug addict and it didn't take long. My question is, should I put up with the additional pain so I can wean myself off these things or take enough to be pain free and risk further addiction? I have never in my life taken narcotics so this is all new. Deb

Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

• 9 months later...

I had to smile because I first read this as speak to your DOG about

this...

I KNOW I need new glasses now...!!!!

Sometimes I think my dog IS wiser than most of the people I know though.

Just wanted to share a laugh with you all:)

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, MCGEEtown@... wrote:

> Barb, by all means speak to your doc about this. I had to do the same thing.

> Marty

>

>

>

> **************************************See AOL's top rated recipes

> (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

>

>

>

Hi Barbara

First of all, I would get your doc to up your pain meds starting at the Percocet

you are taking. If there is a large dose combination, then ask him for that and

tell him the truth, the ones you are on are not working. You can safely go up

to 10 Percocet (Hydrocodone 5/500) daily but the Acetaminophen is hard on the

liver. That is the 500mg component. My doc advocates going on to OxyContin

(Oxycodone SR) at the lowest dose needed to keep the majority of the pain at

bay. But they have to knock the pain down before going on the Oxy, then they

can give you anywhere from Tylenol, Tyleno 3's, Percocet to stop the

breakthrough pain.

As for only getting 15 day supply at a time, I think your doc should rethink

that. He should give you at least a months supply. Of course the pharmacy must

really love you as they get a filling fee each time the fill the prescription

while it looks low, it can build up quickly.

You are in our prayers Barbara

Blessings

Fr. Dave

Hi Barb,

My experience has been that the squeaky wheel got the attention. I

just insist on some better help. I had them up my 5/500

hydrocodone to 10/500 finally for a pain flare. They got me on

several other meds that seem to maintain a floor of pain relief but

the spikes do come along yet too.

I also catch myself minimizing my symptoms and I have made an effort

to stop that.

Hope you get better.........

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ok, in no particular order...

epidural - they wont give me

spinal block - advised against

TENS machine - faliure - too much nerve damage

doppler injections - excruciating - faliure

tailored vitamins - helps a bit

osteopathy - failure

physiotherapy - failure

hydrotherapy - failure

anti-inflamatory drugs (such as brufen) - failure - allergic

paracetamol - failure

kapak - failure

dihydracodine - helped a bit but didnt kill completely and was asleep all the timemorphine - failure

medically supervised heroin - tripped but still hurt

non medically supervised cannabis - just fall asleep - doesnt help

tilex - failure

co-codamol - failure

co-dydramol - failure

co-proxamol - failure

pethadine - failure

diamorphine - failure

Entonox - failure as back pain suppressant

tramadol - failure

solpadol - failure

cortizone injections - failure

specially concocted potion from the herbalist - failure

theres more but thats all I can think of off the top of my head... oh, and alchol doesnt work either! lol

Pain Managment

I am interest to know what type of medications and/or other pain management programs patients with flatback are taking/doing? I know everyone reacts differently to different pain medications and treatments, but I would like to get some thoughts on what has worked and what hasnt.