RemedySpot.com

stenosis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sanford

Try water aerobics----light swimming would be good--do your excersies in water and just lighten them on days you dont swim.

Beverly

-- Stenosis

Friends...I underwent surgery 4 weeks ago to open up foramina at five levels, L1-L5. I still have considerable pain, almost always beginning around 5 or 6 in the afternoon and continuing through the night. I believe that I'm overdoing the exercise, but I don't know what would be the proper balance. Anyone have experience with this? Can you help me with determining what might be too much or too little, and maybe some exercises that have helped in your case?Also I'm very, very interested in Dr. C. Chiu's minimally invasive techniques and his state-of-the-art clinic in Ventura, California. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Dr. Chiu???Many thanks, Russ

Guest guest

Beverly...

Many thanks. Sounds like very sound advice, I'll try it. Also I've a

hand-held vibrator that I've used off and on, but I can't tell whether

it helps or not. Has anyone used such a device? Would alternate hot

and cold applications be helpful?

Russ---

In neck pain , " beverly nunn " <bevnunn@g...>

wrote:

> Sanford

> Try water aerobics----light swimming would be good--do your

excersies in

> water and just lighten them on days you dont swim.

>

> Beverly

Guest guest

Russ

I have used that device. Sorry.And you are welcome.

Beverly

-- Re: Stenosis

Beverly...Many thanks. Sounds like very sound advice, I'll try it. Also I've a hand-held vibrator that I've used off and on, but I can't tell whether it helps or not. Has anyone used such a device? Would alternate hot and cold applications be helpful?Russ> Sanford> Try water aerobics----light swimming would be good--do your excersies in> water and just lighten them on days you dont swim.> > Beverly

Guest guest

At 11:58 AM 6/22/05, you wrote:

>Beverly...

>Many thanks. Sounds like very sound advice, I'll try it. Also I've a

>hand-held vibrator that I've used off and on, but I can't tell whether

>it helps or not. Has anyone used such a device? Would alternate hot

>and cold applications be helpful?

>Russ---

I'm not sure exactly what surgery you went through but I'll tell you what

does and doesn't work for me. We have a hand held thumping type massager

that my wife uses on me currently 2-3 x a day. When I can't stand the pain

any more it breaks it up and gives me some relief. It's made by

HomeMedics looks like ET's head and has to egg shaped nodules that pulse

with variable power. Got it on Sale from Sears for about $45.00

After that Ice packs, blue gell kept in the freezer wrapped in a towel

always helps.

After my second surgery in 2000 my Wife bought me a Lazyboy chair with

Massage. When I can't sleep laying down I can sometimes get a break by

reclining with the Massage on + an ice pack.

Occaissionally my Tens unit works. I'm not sure why sometimes it's just

the ticket, other times it's just an annoyance.

For me Cold has always worked over Heat.

Finally I have a massaging pad in Bed. I use it every night. It takes all

of the tools in the tool box to get through the day.

Good luck Dave

Guest guest

Dave...

The massage unit and ice packs may very well help me, too. I'd

cautiously tried the massage unit but stopped because I wasn't sure

whether I was doing good or doing harm. I'll take it up again along

with ice packs.

Yes, it's strange how things work just great sometimes, and then not

at all other times.

Thanks for responding.

Russ

Guest guest

Ive had 3 back surgeries--1 disectomy of a disk--1 spinal fusion--1--to remove rods and screws to see if this eleveated my pain--it didnt--i now need a spinal fusion at my first surgery site--L5-s1 which has collapsed to to the stress of the spinal fusion above it. This is why i had to leave work--i couldnt fight it no more. Its hard to step back and let others do what you used to. I still have a hard time with it. Im a very independant person. I love the outdoors, gardening, etc... I always hate to ask my husband to do things he dont like such as gardening, etc... We will never adjust to that. But, to keep us sane we choose to do somethings we shouldnt to help. But we must. Just be careful and know that no one understands your pain and situation. They think you are suppose to sit there like your already dead. Well, we have to keep going and try to do the things that make us feel human. Try getting a pool. Enjoy getting out in nature as i do and swim around and excersise. I have a 12x30 in pool that you may have seen that sets up in 15 minutes minus the water--ha. I like it. Just an option to break up your day and thoughts that will consume you with depression and want to cry alot, etc... Ive been there. Hang in there buddy. Im here for you and so is everyone here.

Beverly

-- Re: Re: Stenosis

At 11:58 AM 6/22/05, you wrote:>Beverly...>Many thanks. Sounds like very sound advice, I'll try it. Also I've a>hand-held vibrator that I've used off and on, but I can't tell whether>it helps or not. Has anyone used such a device? Would alternate hot>and cold applications be helpful?>Russ---I'm not sure exactly what surgery you went through but I'll tell you what does and doesn't work for me. We have a hand held thumping type massager that my wife uses on me currently 2-3 x a day. When I can't stand the pain any more it breaks it up and gives me some relief. It's made by HomeMedics looks like ET's head and has to egg shaped nodules that pulse with variable power. Got it on Sale from Sears for about $45.00After that Ice packs, blue gell kept in the freezer wrapped in a towel always helps.After my second surgery in 2000 my Wife bought me a Lazyboy chair with Massage. When I can't sleep laying down I can sometimes get a break by reclining with the Massage on + an ice pack.Occaissionally my Tens unit works. I'm not sure why sometimes it's just the ticket, other times it's just an annoyance.For me Cold has always worked over Heat.Finally I have a massaging pad in Bed. I use it every night. It takes all of the tools in the tool box to get through the day.Good luck Dave

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest guest

, I am having the exact same feelings you did...the thing I do not

undertsand is that I keep getting bad infections...my ear with the c-toma keeps

swelling getting red and warm to the touch...I have been hospitalized for this

recently...it only happens when I am not on steroid treatment and

antibiotics...has anyone else had this or heard of this?? The surgeon I was

referred to 3weeks ago has not called me back and I have left messages on the

machine at his office and the receptionist last week and still no word...just

Thursday my ear flared up again!!! I am scared this is serious but I never have

had a fever...does anyone know why surgery is dangerous when you have an active

infection because at this point I am scared but tired of dealing with this and

want it to end so I can do the things I once enjoyed...

Stenosis

I have stenosis of my left ear canal. It is completely closed and the Dr can't

see what is going on in there at all. I have been feeling dizzy and nau

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Originally, when she was first diagnosed, she had been on meds for five months while they figured out what was causing the infections. That didn't seem to have any ill affects, as the surgery went well, and the infections stopped immediately.

The emergencies were a little different as she was five weeks post op from her seventh surgery when she developed an ear infection that quickly turned to mastoiditis. She was on IV antibiotics at that point, including some heavy hitters, but they couldn't get rid of the infection, because it is difficult to deliver them to the infected ctoma, since it has no blood supply. It was also the first time since this began that she had no tube, so eardrops weren't helpful.

These are generally very slow growing, and her case is bizarre in that she has had so many aggressive recurrances so quickly. That said, the course of treatment remains the same, and we just keep working away to achieve the goal of a safe, dry ear. Also keep in mind that she has been spared some of the scarier potential consequences, even with so much surgery, etc. She is living a reasonably normal seven year old life.

I don't know how it will be for you, but for us, surgery usually comes within a week or two of the surgical consult, so hopefully you will not have long to wait after your visit. You will feel so much better with it gone!

Chloe is five weeks postop from the latest surgery and you would never guess...that's the trouble with her, as we are hoping to have her new prosthesis successfully " scar in " to bring her hearing level back up to where it was. That means no gymnastics, swinging, rollercoasters...translation-- no FUN!!! Now that she is seven this is even harder than the first attempt at age four! It was worth it though, because her hearing was in normal ranges when it was working.

Hope you are well,

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Jenni <moonshadow2447@...> wrote:

was she on the antibiotic treatment leading up to her emergency surgeries? I am concerned I am going to be resilient to the antibiotics here soon. I am on my 6th round back to back. But if I am not on them within a day or two of finishing them my ear acts up again. I only have to wait til the 27th of July when I have my first appt with the surgeon but that seems so far away still. So her c-toma kept growing quickly? I was told these were slow growing tumors...was the quick growing then caused from all her infections she was having? They say mine is something I was born with...something with my eustachian tube in the right ear. I have been trying to keep my ear so dry and trying to stay away from people who smoke and all that...I will (like you) do everything I can to prevent another one from growing. These are nasty little critters.

Jenni

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:37 AM, s <thequeen.christine@...> wrote:

Hers was five weeks post op. She didn't have symptoms right away, but when the infection persisted after being drained several times, the surgeon did an emergency surgery to try to clean out the debris in there. That's when he began to suspect that there was some more cholesteatoma in there. She was still very sick a week later, so she had another emergency surgery. She was full of cholesteatoma, even though she had just had surgery to remove it seven weeks earlier. The surgeon suspects there was a small amount hiding in the mastoid and when she got the infection, it just grew like crazy. That's how it has been for her: if she gets an infection, she gets a lot of new cholesteatoma. It was a really tricky congenital ctoma that was hiding everywhere! It looks like that one is finally gone, but she just had a new acquired cholesteatoma, and we are trying to prevent new ones.

She had an infection for several months before the first surgery like what many of the people on this group have experienced. She did not have any complications after that surgery because of the infection, and it was gone pretty much as soon as the cholesteatoma was removed. I hope that is the case for you!

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM, moonshadow2447@... <moonshadow2447@...> wrote:

Wow! Sounds like she has dealt with quite a bit...poor thing. I am hoping this infection goes away...had it since March 2010...did Chloe have symtpoms or when they did the surgery they realized it had spread to her bone...thanks Jenni

Re: Stenosis

Chloe did have the mastoiditisdrained because of the abscess it formedbehind her ear. She had months of meds, including a couple of months of homeIV therapy. Her infection had gotten into the bone. She is great now,

though, and you'd never know she had such a crazy time with it.On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Arun Gupta <drarunjind@...> wrote:

>>> *Surgery with infection*> **> Ear having C Toma is always infected. Only thing is to avoid surgery in> acute infection, except when abscess formation accrues, then surgery is to

> be done as emergency> Dr. Arun Gupta>>>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM, moonshadow2447@... <> moonshadow2447@...> wrote:

>>>>>>> Dr. Grupta, what are the risks of having surgery with an infection if I am>> on antiobiotic treatment?>> -----Original Message----->> Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:49:35 am

>> cholesteatoma <cholesteatoma%40>>> From: " Arun Gupta " <drarunjind@... <dr

------------------------------------